Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 24, 2013 9:42 AM CST
    • The 2013 inductees are disgusting. Albert King and Rush are the only ones worthy out of all the ones they chose.

My list in no particular order:

1.New York Dolls

2.Johnny Thunders

3.Bo Diddley

4.Link Wray

5.Dick Dale

6.Motorhead

7.Joy Division

8.Bauhaus

9.The Cramps

10.Nine Inch Nails

• January 24, 2013 9:30 AM CST
    • Sex Pistols have been inducted...I think they were inducted in 2005 or 2006 I believe.

Andy Climax said:

Syd Barrett, Mick Ronson, Johnny Thunders and John Peel, Dick Dale, Bo Diddley, Sex Pistols, King Kurt, Robert Johnson for starters thanks..... Oh and a Lux Interior waxwork at the Glittery curtained entrance, welcoming everyone in.

• January 24, 2013 2:36 AM CST
    • It's a shame that the backing band gets left in the lurch, for their contribution gets overlooked. Especially when a big name is inducted, like Gene Vincent. I bet the committee is just a load of vested interests on the verge of a punch-up, like The Modern Parents are when organising a peace gathering.

• January 23, 2013 7:07 PM CST
    • They usually make a separate place on the ballot if an Artist AND their backing band  are synonymous with each other. That means if someone is better known for their solo work , their still well - known backing band may get left in the lurch.

When Gene Vincent finally got inducted , The Blue Caps were not afforded the same honor. Regardless , Blue Caps Guitarist , Johnny Meeks , went to attend the ceremony , and , I read , was told he'd have to pay $100 to do so. Today , of course , you'd need $100 to stand across the street.  

ted cogswell said:

I'm pretty sure the induction covers both the work of the original group as well as the solo career under the same name. Members inducted according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame website are: Alice Cooper (vocals; born February 4, 1948), Glen Buxton (guitar; born November 10, 1947, died October 18, 1997), Michael Bruce (guitar, keyboards; born March 16, 1948), Dennis Dunaway (bass; born December 9, 1948), Neal Smith (drums; born September 23, 1947). http://rockhall.com/inductees/alice-cooper/bio/

• January 23, 2013 7:01 PM CST
    • I ALMOST FORGOT , AMAZING BOC/MC5 STORY.....I WONDER IF THAT'S WHY BLUE OYSTER CULT RECORDED THEIR CENSORED VERSION OF "KICK OUT THE JAMS",  AS SOME KIND OF SETTLEMENT?   I GUESS NOT. SORRY. I'VE BEEN WATCHING "BOARDWALK EMPIRE".

John Battles said:

B.B. (On Mars?) , Yeah , I've heard of this band , Blue Coupe . Back in the "It was'nt Broke , why Fix it?"Golden Age of My Space , I got in touch with Dunaway , very briefly , because I was playing at this cool Bowling Alley Barin Chicago the same night the ACG was doing their second reunion show in Phoenix....I re-wrecked "Guttercat Vs. The Jets" as "Gutterball Cat Vs.The Dank Haus Jets" (The Dank Haus being the German SOCIAL cENTER IN CHICAGO.)  . HE MESSAGED ME BACK , SAYING , "YEAH , I HEAR YOU GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR THOSE DANK HAUS JETS !".
       He looks incredibly well for his age , and he actually pulls off that short , spiky hair look , too.
      B.B. Fultz said:

Hey John, are you familiar with Blue Coupe? They're not very well known -- basically they're the Bouchard brothers Al and Joe, from the original Blue Oyster Cult, plus bassist Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper group. I saw them at a local record store a couple years ago -- they alternated between BOC and old Cooper songs. They played the old classics raw and dirty, and everything they did sounded awesome. Somehow they actually pulled off "Black Juju" with just three guys and it still kicked all kinds of ass. If you get a chance, check them out. http://www.bluecoupeband.com/ There's also a few vids of them on YouTube lately.

They're really cool guys. By a stroke of luck the record store manager was an old friend, and he let me in early so I got to hang out with them and hear band stories. The Bouchards told me about how Alan Lanier was semi-hooked up with Patti Smith (who collaborated with them on Agents of Fortune). And when Patti ran off to go with Fred Sonic Smith, Lanier followed her, allegedly planning to threaten Fred with a gun. Unfortunately Lanier forgot you can't take guns through the airport so he was detained there and BOC had to go get him out. Dennis Dunaway told me about the Alice Cooper group aka Nazz back in the 60s, and how they all wanted to be the Beatles, or failing that, the Yardbirds. He even told me a little about the infamous "mudshark incident" documented by Zappa, allegedly involving Vanilla Fudge. Then singed my Pretties For You LP. There was more stuff that I'm forgetting now, but I do remember they were a blast to hang out with. Definitely one of the more memorable nights of my life.

• January 23, 2013 6:35 PM CST
    • B.B. (On Mars?) , Yeah , I've heard of this band , Blue Coupe . Back in the "It was'nt Broke , why Fix it?"Golden Age of My Space , I got in touch with Dunaway , very briefly , because I was playing at this cool Bowling Alley Barin Chicago the same night the ACG was doing their second reunion show in Phoenix....I re-wrecked "Guttercat Vs. The Jets" as "Gutterball Cat Vs.The Dank Haus Jets" (The Dank Haus being the German SOCIAL cENTER IN CHICAGO.)  . HE MESSAGED ME BACK , SAYING , "YEAH , I HEAR YOU GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR THOSE DANK HAUS JETS !".
       He looks incredibly well for his age , and he actually pulls off that short , spiky hair look , too.
      B.B. Fultz said:

Hey John, are you familiar with Blue Coupe? They're not very well known -- basically they're the Bouchard brothers Al and Joe, from the original Blue Oyster Cult, plus bassist Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper group. I saw them at a local record store a couple years ago -- they alternated between BOC and old Cooper songs. They played the old classics raw and dirty, and everything they did sounded awesome. Somehow they actually pulled off "Black Juju" with just three guys and it still kicked all kinds of ass. If you get a chance, check them out. http://www.bluecoupeband.com/ There's also a few vids of them on YouTube lately.

They're really cool guys. By a stroke of luck the record store manager was an old friend, and he let me in early so I got to hang out with them and hear band stories. The Bouchards told me about how Alan Lanier was semi-hooked up with Patti Smith (who collaborated with them on Agents of Fortune). And when Patti ran off to go with Fred Sonic Smith, Lanier followed her, allegedly planning to threaten Fred with a gun. Unfortunately Lanier forgot you can't take guns through the airport so he was detained there and BOC had to go get him out. Dennis Dunaway told me about the Alice Cooper group aka Nazz back in the 60s, and how they all wanted to be the Beatles, or failing that, the Yardbirds. He even told me a little about the infamous "mudshark incident" documented by Zappa, allegedly involving Vanilla Fudge. Then singed my Pretties For You LP. There was more stuff that I'm forgetting now, but I do remember they were a blast to hang out with. Definitely one of the more memorable nights of my life.

• January 23, 2013 5:04 PM CST
    • I can see why the Hall of Fame is controversial: no two people can think alike and agree on anything about what goes in. Anyone keeping their ears to the ground for inductees?

• January 23, 2013 4:58 PM CST
    • I would agree too!

Chris Henniker said:

I'd definitely agree with that, Tim.

Tim Napalm Stegall said:

I can think of two who should be in: The Yardbirds and the New York Dolls. Oh, and the Pretty Things.

• January 23, 2013 4:19 AM CST
    • Yeah I see what you mean. Detroit proto-punk + horror show thematics.   

• January 24, 2013 7:52 AM CST
    • Hey guys,

My name is Chris and I play guitar and sing in Glorious MoonRockets. I also write all the songs and do the artwork for the band. Wow, makes me sound like a real hard working, go getter type, but I'm really just another slacker.

I've been playing music as long as I can remember, but this band has only been together for a couple years now. We've been playing around our home town, (Ottawa, Canada), and are planning on taking the show further out on the road over 2013. I'm heavily influenced by the The Dictators, Sonics, Motorhead, Dead Boys and more recently Ty Segall, White Denim, and J Reatard.

You can check out our tunes on our page here or on our bandcamp. http://gloriousmoonrockets.bandcamp.com/

If you like us, let us know! We're always looking for new places to play. And new places to stay...

-Chris

• January 23, 2013 7:19 PM CST
    • I KNOW. AT LEAST , UNLIKE MR. VAN WINKLE , ROKY WAS'NT EMBARRASSED ABOUT BEING FROM TEXAS. I ran into Greg Synodis from the legendary (Because I say so.) Heavy Psych / Garage band , Lithium Xmas , and congratulated him on directing the then - recent Vanilla Ice videos , even tho' I can't stand the man. A friend of mine went to High School with Rob Van Winkle , said he wore Izod shirts every day.

Andy Climax said:

Yep! There was the Elevators sonic version of Vanilla Ice's 'Ice Ice Baby' And who can ever forget the Choir's gnarly re-doing of Tone Loc's 'Funky Cold Medina'??? hahahaha

• January 23, 2013 6:44 PM CST
    • who's good at this mash up shit

• January 23, 2013 6:43 PM CST
    • Last Night and Andy... so many options available. Danny Brown with Nick Waterhouse? Bloodshot Bill with ODB?

• January 23, 2013 3:46 PM CST
    • This is a joke, I don't believe this crap. 

• January 23, 2013 6:48 AM CST
    • A collaboration made in Heaven???

Last Night said:

or Tupac and Jay reatard?

• January 23, 2013 6:45 AM CST
    • Kurt Vile and Chuck D? That would be a great link up.... Where's ma earplugs? I'd pay good money to see that show!!!

• January 23, 2013 6:38 AM CST
    • or Tupac and Jay reatard?

• January 23, 2013 6:21 PM CST
    • "vot are yew SENK? ZHOU DON LAHK MAH SINKING?"Nico.

They're one of those bands , despite their exalted status , I think it's OK to like or don't like. I liked 'em  , then I did'nt , now I do. It took a VILE for Nico's VOSS to grow on me . 

TipplerMario said:

I don't think this will be shocking but, I hate everything The Velvet Underground did with Nico, I hate it, I can't stand it, is it her voice, idk, I just don't like it.

• January 23, 2013 4:02 PM CST
    • I don't think this will be shocking but, I hate everything The Velvet Underground did with Nico, I hate it, I can't stand it, is it her voice, idk, I just don't like it.

• January 23, 2013 3:35 PM CST
    • Yes , and as James will tell you , I was at that Arlington Heights County Fair (Whatever it was.) show, too ,  and Mitch only did , liek 3 songs , but , he sounded great , as did Lindsay , and Spencer Davis ALWAYS COMES THRU , IF BRIT BLUES IS YOUR THING. The surprise treat for James and our friend , Pat , was seeing JIMY ROGERS AND THE MAUDS.  wORDS FAIL ME. cONSULT YOUTUBE.    I think the fever the Shadows of Knight had on that Little Steven show was Steven personally telling 'em , can that 80's Rock shit and get back to The Garage !!! i DID'nt see that show . My friend , Rocco ,  and  I were there , but , we got the word that some of The Stones (Who were also playing that night.) might turn up at Ian MacLagan's gig. It turned out to be no rumor , but  , they did'nt show , it was 20  degrees below solid frozen balls , and The Stones were playing outside. Call 'em Dinosaurs, that was the ice age for them. I'm sure they spent the rest of the night in a sauna. I figured , worst case scenario , we still see Ian MacLagan do a great show , and that's what happened.
      James Porter said:

I was at the Shadows of Knight show that John mentions. It was at the tail end of the summer, IIRC, at an outdoor festival. Jim Sohns was the only original left. The only actual Shadows songs performed were "Gloria," "Oh Yeah" and "Shake." The rest of their set was fleshed out by cover versions of such asskickers as "This Diamond Ring" and "Sunday Will Never Be The Same." Yikes. That'd be like the Yardbirds covering Chad & Jeremy songs. My hopes were fairly high - the only other time I saw them, it was on a Little Steven garage revue, and they sounded like they got "the fever" back. By the time of this outdoor show, they had reverted back to being a cheesy oldies band. For shame. As for Mitch Ryder, the only time I saw him was, again, at a county fair oldies revue with Spencer Davis, Mark Lindsay and Rare Earth. Under the circumstances, he kicked much ass.

John Battles said:

Shadows of Knight have had a reputation for being terrible , or , at best , mediocre , for decades , in Chicagoland. They just did a rare (And free) show in Chicago proper a few months ago , About 3 blocks from my place. Thank God I had a family function to go to ! Jimy Sohns owns the name , so it's always been him and whoever is backing him. Joe Kelly sits in on occasion , or he used to. They're in that documentary on Garage Rock with Sky Saxon , which has it's moments , they're at least doing some of the right songs .  Did Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels do a reunion show ? Mitch may have just been using the name. In more recent live footage I've seen of him , he was killin' it , but , I have'nt seen him do a full set in nearly 20 years , usually with Johnny "B' Badanjek , from The Detroit Wheels on drums and Rob Gillespie (Powertrane , Rob Tyner Band.) on guitar. I've seen Mitch at least a half - dozen times , he was always great , even , and especially , when he was playing to 15 or 30 people.   But , I've heard he's done some bad , or just fair , shows , too.....       If you meant the Greenfuz show at The Ponderosa Stomp , MY GOD! THAT WAS PUTRID !! We all love that record for the cruddy sound , but , those guys sounded like they had'nt even practiced. Plus , the Southern Boogie Rock covers did'nt help. I wanted to love it..........

Howie Pyro said:

the worst reunion of a 60's band was The Shadows of Knight oh my god...the worst! Very similar were Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels (who i didn't go see but they were in a festival i was at...seriously everyone, even normal people were running to get outta there! Right up there with those 2 were The Green Fuz, woah, so bad the promoter "punished" them & forced them to come back & play Green Fuz all the way through without introducing the band all the way through it to get to their "important" blues ramblings...i do have a tape of it and it has a running commentary from my friend Todd Abramson that is fucking hysterical...I also saw the Shaggs & thought it was mind blowingly great...

• January 23, 2013 6:52 AM CST
    • My first show was a festival at the CCH in Hamburg 1979 called "BRAVO-Super-Disco" with Suzi Quatro, Racey, Truck Stop and Frank Zander. Bravo is the largest teen magazine within the German-language sphere and very cheesy. Can't remember that much. I think I was too excited.

First punk concert or whatsoever was DAF (Deutsch Amerianische Freundschaft) at the Markthalle in Hamburg 03.06.81. Music: electro punk. Audience: mostly punk. It was good fun.

The best concert so far: The Milshakes at the KIR in Hamburg 1982. 2 hours pure fun. The whole crowd was dancing and the whole band was drinking. In the end they stumbled cross the stage but played so tight as if sobriety was their middle name.

• January 22, 2013 7:13 PM CST
    • Weirdness. Just as Kiss IN '76 was my first show ( Not counting my Brother's little band in Kewanee , Illinois , Ear Lick , and a really cool band I saw at  a car show in Ft. Worth. I remember , they opened with "The Rockford Files" and did a medley of "Gitarzan" and "Troglodytes" , the singer donning a cheap ape mask !), I ,too , saw The Stray Cats in '82 , before they broke in The US , AT tHE hOT kLUB , DALLAS' SECOND - EVER PUNK VENUE. Missed a lot of great shows there , for still being 17 -18. There were several hundred people , there. I saw Thunders in '86. Rode my bike to the mall to buy my ticket. I think he finished nearly every song......HA HA . HE WAS INTERRUPTED BY A BOTTLE - THROWING SKINHEAD , AND THE TWO HAD TO BE PULLED APART. JOHNNY WAS GETTING THE BEST OF IT , BUT NEITHER OF THEM REALLY SEEMED TO BE HURT , AND THE SHOW WENT ON.....

SMF said:

First show: KISS, Syracuse 1976. Opening act was Uriah Heep. (Happy to see I'm not the only one whose first show was KISS!!!)

First punk show: Wreck N Crew, Cortland, NY 1978. Cortland's punk overlords...

Best show: Heavy Trash, Las Vegas 2005. The Sadies opened the show and backed Heavy Trash. Close second is the Stray Cats, Tucson, AZ 1982ish. Played in a low-ceiling basement at the Convention Center. They were on a little riser. Maybe 500 people. Cool.

Worst show: If it was bad I usually drank more so I wouldn't remember... seems to have worked.

Best "unfinished" show: Johnny Thunders, Tucson, AZ 1985. Never finished a song. It was great.

• January 22, 2013 7:04 PM CST
    • dave , I guess I don't follow you. You did'nt think you'd have fun at a Ramones show because you were'nt much of a drinker?  College Station ? Gig 'em Aggies ! HA HA , just kiddin'.          Friends : We used to all tell "Aggie Jokes" in Texas about how dumb Texas A&M students supposedly were , even THEY tell 'em......But , then , I found out how much SEX was going on around that campus , and I said , They're not so dumb after all.

But , my old Alma (What does it) Mater, ETSU , is now owned by Texas A&M , which means they're Aggies , too , now.

dave said:

Don't feel bad, check this out: The Ramones came to my hometown of College Station, TX (!!), itself a miracle, with DeeDee playing, in a small venue and I-didn't-go. At that time I rarely drank, and had seen New Order sober- boy, did that suck, worst concert I've ever been to! So, even though I was an avid Ramones fan, I knew I wouldn't have fun. Still shoulda gone. D'oh!

John Battles said:

Any Ramones show , tho' I was late for the party, particularly ,The Ramones , Iggy Pop and The Dickies , Aragon Ballroom , 1988. The RAMONES HAD AN AWFUL MIX , AND WERE ONLY GIVEN ABOUT 45 MINUTES TO PLAY , But to see a three bill band like THAT , WHEN mURPHY'S lAW DICTATES , THE MORE YOU LIKE THE HEADLINER ,THE WORSE THE OPENING BAND IS GONNA BE (Tho ' there are exceptions.).

Mongul said:

First: The Ramones at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ May 29, 1991

Best: The Ramones at The University of Maryland, Summer 1993 - the show started with only about five people in attendance - like my own private Ramones concert!

• January 22, 2013 6:47 PM CST
    • First show: KISS, Syracuse 1976. Opening act was Uriah Heep. (Happy to see I'm not the only one whose first show was KISS!!!)

First punk show: Wreck N Crew, Cortland, NY 1978. Cortland's punk overlords...

Best show: Heavy Trash, Las Vegas 2005. The Sadies opened the show and backed Heavy Trash. Close second is the Stray Cats, Tucson, AZ 1982ish. Played in a low-ceiling basement at the Convention Center. They were on a little riser. Maybe 500 people. Cool.

Worst show: If it was bad I usually drank more so I wouldn't remember... seems to have worked.

Best "unfinished" show: Johnny Thunders, Tucson, AZ 1985. Never finished a song. It was great.

• January 22, 2013 11:32 PM CST
    • This weeks show features music from teh Nuggets compilation album, Talking Heads, Magazine, Deja voodoo, The White Stripes, Sex Pistols and more. 

Listen/download this weeks show here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130122-1030-t1358850600.mp3

Check out my blog post on Talking Heads More Songs About Buildings And Food:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/01/more-songs-about-buildings-and-food.html

The Play List:

1. The Remains – Don’t Look Back
      2. The Castaways – Liar, Liar
      3. Seven Story Redhead – Diamond Geezer
      4. Golden BC – The Proof
      5. Cold Warps – Stuck On An Island
      6. Nirvana – Spank Thru
      7. Mudhoney – The Rose
      8. The Chemistry Set – Underground
      9. Deja Voodoo – Too Cool To Live, Too Smart To Die
      10. Simply Saucer – Instant Pleasure
      11. Pointed Sticks – New Ways
      12. Talking Heads - Thank You For Sending Me An Angel
      13. Talking Heads – Found A Job
      14. EX~PO – Burn, Burn, Burn
      15. Terminal Sunglasses – Terminal Theme
      16. April March – Chick Habit
      17. Ghost Bikini – Rage In A Cage
      18. Thee Rum Coves – Happy Times
      19. The D4 – High Voltage
      20. Sex Pistols – Substitute
      21. The (International) Noise Conspiracy – Smash It Up
      22. The White Stripes – Astro
      23. The Prisoners - What I Want
      24. Magazine – Model Worker (BBC Session)
      25. The Clash - Stay Free