Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 18, 2012 5:05 PM CST
    • Is there anything as punk/trashy as The Rats- Rats Revenge, pre 1963?!?

• December 18, 2012 11:25 AM CST
    • The Kegg's "To Find Out" is about as dissonant as they come.  Also, the Outcasts' "1523 Blair" is a scorcher.  There are loads more out there.

• December 18, 2012 3:34 PM CST
    • MISSISSIPPI GROVER!

• December 18, 2012 1:29 PM CST
    • Yes!

• December 18, 2012 11:37 AM CST
    • From a psychological level, I've always wondered what attracts people to a specific song/band.  Is it the tones of multiple instruments synergistically creating something groovy?  Or is there a certain effect/instrument/style that just grabs your brain?  For example, a few years ago I was hooked on combo organs, especially Vox Continentals.  Nowadays, I find that I enjoy tracks that incorporate and balance many of the characteristics listed in the title. 

Feel free to reply with comments, criticism, new ideas, song examples, and anything else that seems relevant.

• December 18, 2012 1:07 PM CST
    • The old site with all the playlists, including the oldest, has disappeared? What happened to all those playlists and the ability to listen?

Thanks for these shows!

• December 18, 2012 11:16 AM CST
    • From the Inmates' track "Fakirs and Thieves," likely from either 1966 or 1967:

"Columbus was wrong; the world is square.
       We're traveling in space, but we're going nowhere."

• December 18, 2012 11:03 AM CST

• Damn, care to make me some comps? Or would you by chance have a way of putting all this in a zip file?  ;)
      ShapelyDice said:

A few weeks ago I made a series of comps for a friend who is into electronic nonsense (ugh...).  Three comps, each with 22 tracks, for a total of 66, as in the year 1966.  Great, huh?  Anyway, this was my attempt to "convert" him to garage.  I titled my comps "Murky Mysteries From the Savage Sixties."  I'll post them here so you can see what I included:

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES
      1. The Vectors – Paisley Haze
      2. Art Guy – Where You Gonna Go
      3. The Bittersweet – She Lied
      4. The Younger Brothers – Go Away
      5. The Keggs – To Find Out
      6. Dennis and the Times – Flight Patterns
      7. The Sound Barrier – Hey, Hey
      8. Licorice Schtick – Flowers, Flowers
      9. Silk Winged Alliance – Hometown
      10. The Remaining Few – Painted Air
      11. The Chob – We’re Pretty Quick
      12. The Colony – Things on My Mind
      13. It’s Us – Don’t Want Your Lovin’
      14. Kiriae Crucible – Salem Witch Trials
      15. The Wave-Riders – Ain’t It a Shame
      16. The Eastern Alliance – Love Fades Away
      17. The Burgundy Runn – Stop!
      18. Children of the Mushroom – August Mademoiselle
      19. Richard Pash and the Back Door Society – I’m the Kind
      20. The Assortment – Bless Our Hippie Home
      21. The Human Expression – Readin’ Your Will
      22. Godfrey – Let’s Take a Trip

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES II
      1. Magical Mist – Time Out to Fly
      2. The Tremors – Wondering Why
      3. The Painted Ship – Frustration
      4. Teddy and His Patches – Suzy Creamcheese
      5. The Outcasts – 1523 Blair
      6. The Us Too Group – Girl With the Golden Hair
      7. The Savages – The World Ain’t Round, It’s Square
      8. The Painted Faces – Anxious Color
      9. Just Two Guys – I’m Free
      10. Park Avenue Playground – The Trip
      11. The Jesters of Newport – Stormy
      12. The Weads – Don’t Call My Name
      13. The Mind’s Eye – Help, I’m Lost
      14. The Hazards – Hey Joe
      15. The Human Expression – Every Night
      16. The Dearly Beloved – Flight 13
      17. The Big Town Boys – August 32nd
      18. Tyde – Psychedelic Pill
      19. Crystal Chandelier – Setting of Despair
      20. The Wee Four – Weird
      21. The Graveyard Five – Marble Orchard
      22. The Raven – Calamity Jane

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES III
      1. Graf Zepplin – You’re in My Mind
      2. The Baytovens – My House
      3. The Warlocks – Mindbender (Confusion’s Prince)
      4. The Shades of Night – Fluctuation
      5. T.C. Atlantic – Faces
      6. The Explorers – Blue Flavored Lollipop
      7. Aluminum Dream – Strangers Calling
      8. The Monacles – I Can’t Win
      9. The Beaux Jens – She Was Mine
      10. The Mustard Men – I Lost My Baby
      11. The Buck Rogers Movement – Baby Come On
      12. The Stoics – Enough of What I Need
      13. The Bees – Voice Green and Purple
      14. The Tides In – Trip With Me
      15. Fe-Fi-Four Plus 2 – I Wanna Come Back (From the World of LSD)
      16. Los Chijuas – Changing the Colors of Life
      17. The Five Canadians – Writing on the Wall
      18. The Shaynes – From My Window
      19. The Other Half – The Girl With the Long Black Hair
      20. Oscar and the Majestics – House of the Rising Sun
      21.The Outsiders – She’s Coming On Stronger
      22. The Psychotics – If You Don’t Believe Me, Don’t

Let me know what you think.  I had initially rummaged through all my stuff to pick out the ones I thought needed to be included, and I had well over 150 tracks.  I thought that was too much, so I shortened it to 66. 

• December 18, 2012 10:56 AM CST
    • A few weeks ago I made a series of comps for a friend who is into electronic nonsense (ugh...).  Three comps, each with 22 tracks, for a total of 66, as in the year 1966.  Great, huh?  Anyway, this was my attempt to "convert" him to garage.  I titled my comps "Murky Mysteries From the Savage Sixties."  I'll post them here so you can see what I included:

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES
      1. The Vectors – Paisley Haze
      2. Art Guy – Where You Gonna Go
      3. The Bittersweet – She Lied
      4. The Younger Brothers – Go Away
      5. The Keggs – To Find Out
      6. Dennis and the Times – Flight Patterns
      7. The Sound Barrier – Hey, Hey
      8. Licorice Schtick – Flowers, Flowers
      9. Silk Winged Alliance – Hometown
      10. The Remaining Few – Painted Air
      11. The Chob – We’re Pretty Quick
      12. The Colony – Things on My Mind
      13. It’s Us – Don’t Want Your Lovin’
      14. Kiriae Crucible – Salem Witch Trials
      15. The Wave-Riders – Ain’t It a Shame
      16. The Eastern Alliance – Love Fades Away
      17. The Burgundy Runn – Stop!
      18. Children of the Mushroom – August Mademoiselle
      19. Richard Pash and the Back Door Society – I’m the Kind
      20. The Assortment – Bless Our Hippie Home
      21. The Human Expression – Readin’ Your Will
      22. Godfrey – Let’s Take a Trip

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES II
      1. Magical Mist – Time Out to Fly
      2. The Tremors – Wondering Why
      3. The Painted Ship – Frustration
      4. Teddy and His Patches – Suzy Creamcheese
      5. The Outcasts – 1523 Blair
      6. The Us Too Group – Girl With the Golden Hair
      7. The Savages – The World Ain’t Round, It’s Square
      8. The Painted Faces – Anxious Color
      9. Just Two Guys – I’m Free
      10. Park Avenue Playground – The Trip
      11. The Jesters of Newport – Stormy
      12. The Weads – Don’t Call My Name
      13. The Mind’s Eye – Help, I’m Lost
      14. The Hazards – Hey Joe
      15. The Human Expression – Every Night
      16. The Dearly Beloved – Flight 13
      17. The Big Town Boys – August 32nd
      18. Tyde – Psychedelic Pill
      19. Crystal Chandelier – Setting of Despair
      20. The Wee Four – Weird
      21. The Graveyard Five – Marble Orchard
      22. The Raven – Calamity Jane

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES III
      1. Graf Zepplin – You’re in My Mind
      2. The Baytovens – My House
      3. The Warlocks – Mindbender (Confusion’s Prince)
      4. The Shades of Night – Fluctuation
      5. T.C. Atlantic – Faces
      6. The Explorers – Blue Flavored Lollipop
      7. Aluminum Dream – Strangers Calling
      8. The Monacles – I Can’t Win
      9. The Beaux Jens – She Was Mine
      10. The Mustard Men – I Lost My Baby
      11. The Buck Rogers Movement – Baby Come On
      12. The Stoics – Enough of What I Need
      13. The Bees – Voice Green and Purple
      14. The Tides In – Trip With Me
      15. Fe-Fi-Four Plus 2 – I Wanna Come Back (From the World of LSD)
      16. Los Chijuas – Changing the Colors of Life
      17. The Five Canadians – Writing on the Wall
      18. The Shaynes – From My Window
      19. The Other Half – The Girl With the Long Black Hair
      20. Oscar and the Majestics – House of the Rising Sun
      21.The Outsiders – She’s Coming On Stronger
      22. The Psychotics – If You Don’t Believe Me, Don’t

Let me know what you think.  I had initially rummaged through all my stuff to pick out the ones I thought needed to be included, and I had well over 150 tracks.  I thought that was too much, so I shortened it to 66. 

• December 18, 2012 6:28 AM CST
    • It'd have to b a country song  'I cant remember the last time you blew me, and I cant be arsed to google it!'   or something along those lines??

John Battles said:

I forgot about Mitch Mitchell , but, of course , the "Big" Three , Davey Jones , Steve Marriott and Jack Wild (Well into his teens. Well , I guess they ALL were.), all played The Artful Dodger. Rumors that Ian Anderson was being considered for the part of Mad Dog Fagin in the film version are greatly exaggerated.  "I can't be arsed to google it." THAT'S A SONG TITLE !

Mark George Harrison said:

I think the American kid was called 'Spring?', cant remember and cant be arsed to google it.

Davey jones was in long-running soap opera Coronation street and was quite well known, I also read today that Mitch Mitchell was a child actor as well, nearly forgot little Steve Marriott was the Artful Dodger, seems to be the choice for the 'little people' to start their careers.

John Battles said:

Mark George , I don't even remember an American kid on "The Double Deckers" , but , I think gas was about 75 CENTS A GALLON THE LAST TIME I saw it.....Yep , Lil' Mickey Dolenz and "Circus Boy" , what'd Davey do before "Oliver!"? He may have merely been mistaken for a child ! No , I'm sure he went back futher than that.....But , Brandon Cruz , Butch Patrick , Robbie Rist , and Mason Reese all turned up in Punk or New Wave bands.

Dick Dodd of The Standells , of course , was one of The Mousketeers , back when that organization bred some REAL talent.

Unrelated : Chris Connolly  once told me the wee small bairn on The Stupid Babies' MAGNUM OPUS , "BABY SITTERS" ("BABY SITTERS , BABY SITTERS , ME.....HATE....BABY...SITTERS !!!!".) grew up to become Adamski. Well , you can't win 'em all. Also , Danny Bonaduce did a guest spot on a Redd Kross (As Tater Totz) album. When he relocated to Chicago to do talk radio on WLUP , he led a band with friends from the studio for a while. Not my scene , but , he was pretty funny when he wanted to be.

He is indeed, Brinsley Ford has been in Aswad from the start, they were a band who 'jumped the shark', from respected reggae band to bland pop shite!

The leader of the double deckers, who's name escapes me, is still acting and appears on TV recently, dunno what happened to the rest. I wonder if you got it in America because there was an American kid in it??

Child star rock 'n' roll, two in the Monkees for a start!

John Battles said:

Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

You never fail to bring a smile to my face JB!

John Battles said:

Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 17, 2012 7:27 PM CST
    • I forgot about Mitch Mitchell , but, of course , the "Big" Three , Davey Jones , Steve Marriott and Jack Wild (Well into his teens. Well , I guess they ALL were.), all played The Artful Dodger. Rumors that Ian Anderson was being considered for the part of Mad Dog Fagin in the film version are greatly exaggerated.  "I can't be arsed to google it." THAT'S A SONG TITLE !

I think the American kid was called 'Spring?', cant remember and cant be arsed to google it.

Davey jones was in long-running soap opera Coronation street and was quite well known, I also read today that Mitch Mitchell was a child actor as well, nearly forgot little Steve Marriott was the Artful Dodger, seems to be the choice for the 'little people' to start their careers.

John Battles said:

Mark George , I don't even remember an American kid on "The Double Deckers" , but , I think gas was about 75 CENTS A GALLON THE LAST TIME I saw it.....Yep , Lil' Mickey Dolenz and "Circus Boy" , what'd Davey do before "Oliver!"? He may have merely been mistaken for a child ! No , I'm sure he went back futher than that.....But , Brandon Cruz , Butch Patrick , Robbie Rist , and Mason Reese all turned up in Punk or New Wave bands.

Dick Dodd of The Standells , of course , was one of The Mousketeers , back when that organization bred some REAL talent.

Unrelated : Chris Connolly  once told me the wee small bairn on The Stupid Babies' MAGNUM OPUS , "BABY SITTERS" ("BABY SITTERS , BABY SITTERS , ME.....HATE....BABY...SITTERS !!!!".) grew up to become Adamski. Well , you can't win 'em all. Also , Danny Bonaduce did a guest spot on a Redd Kross (As Tater Totz) album. When he relocated to Chicago to do talk radio on WLUP , he led a band with friends from the studio for a while. Not my scene , but , he was pretty funny when he wanted to be.

He is indeed, Brinsley Ford has been in Aswad from the start, they were a band who 'jumped the shark', from respected reggae band to bland pop shite!

The leader of the double deckers, who's name escapes me, is still acting and appears on TV recently, dunno what happened to the rest. I wonder if you got it in America because there was an American kid in it??

John Battles said:

Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

John Battles said:

Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 17, 2012 4:59 PM CST
    • I think the American kid was called 'Spring?', cant remember and cant be arsed to google it.

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

John Battles said:

• December 17, 2012 8:57 PM CST
    • Cool, thanks for that info Joe. I'm going to go seek that out now.

Joe said:

I think it was self-released by the band as a digital download only ($4 from Amazon) in August. The title track is a killer! From their Facebook page:

"Available today on iTunes and all digital stores is Diamond Skull, the new Atomic Suplex EP featuring three brand new recordings, including a version of Summertime Blues that shows Blue Cheer how to play a rock n roll song. Go forth and download."

• December 17, 2012 6:56 PM CST
    • I think it was self-released by the band as a digital download only ($4 from Amazon) in August. The title track is a killer! From their Facebook page:

"Available today on iTunes and all digital stores is Diamond Skull, the new Atomic Suplex EP featuring three brand new recordings, including a version of Summertime Blues that shows Blue Cheer how to play a rock n roll song. Go forth and download."

• December 17, 2012 6:40 PM CST
    • Joe,

I totally missed that one. What label was that on?

Joe said:

It's tough to make a "Best of" list, when I know there's still so much stuff released in 2012 that I should've listened to, but haven't yet.  Anyway, my Top Six Albums/EPs for 2012, in no particular order:

Atomic Suplex: Diamond Skull EP

• December 17, 2012 2:24 PM CST
    • King Kahn Sousanousaphone's Greatest Hits - "OH MICKEY , YOU SO FINE , YOU SO FINE , YOU BLOW MY MIND , HEY MICKEY!!" , "SHAREEF , HE DON'T LIKE IT . ROCK THE CASBAH ! ROCK THE CASBAH!", AND "I TOLD YOU DAMN HILLBILLIES STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MY LAWN".

• December 17, 2012 7:20 PM CST
    • That's pretty obvious.....But , a lot of people call Little Richard and Chuck Berry "King" (Because they're ALL Kings.) , but no one would have drawn that conclusion , going by Chuck's Mercury output , or Richard's VeeJay or Okeh material (As good as some of that is . ).....Even Richard's recordings with Don and Dewey and Jimi Hendrix  are pretty cheesy , production - wise.

James Porter said:

The Girl Happy soundtrack? I could never get past the title track, which was the only good song on the whole album, IMO. As far as the other songs...if that were the only album he did, no one would be calling him King.

• December 17, 2012 7:13 PM CST
    • John, when Funkadelic's One Nation Under A Groove came out, band members complained that George Clinton mixed down the guitars too low, turning them into just another anonymous disco-funk band. Considering that the LP contained "Who Says A Funk Band Can't Play Rock?," mixing down the guitars seems to defeat the whole purpose.

• December 17, 2012 2:56 PM CST
    • Someone told me , years ago , that George Clinton jumped the shark when he switched from LSD to Cocaine as his drug of choice. Well , he had to do what he had to do to sell records. I don't mean he HAD to do blow , but he had to restructure his musical formula , so , much of it , not all of it , bordered on Disco.

Some of that later stuff is'nt bad , but give me screamin' guitars instead of drums so clean , they sound like drum machines. James saw The P-Funk All Stars' big comeback show at The Regal Theatre on The Chicago South Side , which recieved high praise from fans and press , alike.  By the time I saw them , a few years later , they were still a tightly knit unit (Of about 30 people.) , with Clinton very much at the controls . But , later still , they became the darlings of the Deadhead set , and , when I saw them a second time , it was sort of a mess. Good musicians , but , the songs were going nowhere , and Clinton turned up for all of ten minutes.

• December 17, 2012 6:34 PM CST
    • I think there was a thread before, but I'm always on the lookout for new ones for my wife's cafe play list to save her from the monotony of crappy x-mas songs. Here are a few others of x-mas past, maybe not all "garage punk", but of general interest to those here maybe.

Billy Childish and the MBE - Christmas 1979 LP ( a bunch of tunes on that)

Untamed Youth - Santa's Gonna Shut Them Down

Lazy Cowhirls - Sock It To Me Santa

Swingin' Neckbreakers - Santa Claus Ain't Coming This Year

Flat Duo jets - I'll Have A Mery Christmas Without You

Creamers - 'Bob Kringle' & Father Christmas

The Sympathy For The Record Industry Comp "Happy Birthday Baby Jesus" has the following:

• Shitbirds - Christmas Is A Comin'
      • Humpers - Run, run Rudolph
      • Junkyard Dogs - Brand New Bike
      • Jackknife - Santa Claus Never Forgets
      • Claw Hammer - The Night Before Christmas
      • New Bomb Turks - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
      • Devil Dogs - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
      • Red Aunts - Little Drummer Bitch
      • RFTC - Cancel Christmas
      • Jeferry Evans - Mr. Blue X-Mas

X- Santa Claus is Coming to town (just heard this on the radio last night.Pretty uninspiring in my opinion though)

Surfaries - Surfer's Christmas

Legendary Tiger Man - Fuck Christmas, I Got the Blues

The Fleshtones also have an album called "Stocking Stuffer" from a few years ago.

Also Flying Bomb compiled a couple of their "Surprise Package" 7 inches into a cd that has x-mas tunes from the likes of the Dirtys, Von Bondies, Blowtops, Dirtbombs, Bantam rooster etc etc etc

• December 17, 2012 5:06 PM CST
    • The Yobs 12 days of Christmas.

The Vandals 'oi to the world' Christmas album.

The Macc lads 'Jingle bells'

The Cannibals did a Christmas single in a shaped sleeve which for the life of me I cant find and cant remember the name of!

• December 17, 2012 3:47 PM CST
    • Sit'n'Spin had a song called "Santa Claws" , but , I can't remember if it's the same song.

Joe "King" Carrasco and The Crowns - It's a Party Christmas ( Recorded as a promo for MTV , but , it's a good track , anyway.). Not commercially released. There's a video on You Tube.

I would'nt really call "The Last White Christmas" a Christmas song , it's more of a reflection of all the change and upheaval in , and maybe just after , 1979. Still , it refers to Christmas , so , it can be used as one. It is a great song , no mistake. Go to www.roctober.com   and click on Black Punk Time for more info on Basement 5 .

• December 17, 2012 6:10 PM CST
    • singers, no doubt about it. unless you are talking bout a shredder guitarist, the kind that multiplied like fungus in the 80s, who needs a spotlight and a fan next to the monitor to blow up his hair when he gets into his doodly-do's.

personal experience with this guys back when i was a drummer: http://youtu.be/04Q4PR1evgI

and even more personal than that, cuz of myself. To say that my performance as a singer for The Terrorists is egotistical is to underestimate it; it's sickening thats what it is.

• December 17, 2012 3:46 PM CST
    • Anybody else?  I'm really coming up close to 2000 on my daily countdown (I'm at 1998) and the only thing I can think of is a record I really shouldn't have bought which was Rock Star God by the Makers.

• December 17, 2012 2:40 PM CST
    • NO TWO PEOPLE , IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC , ARE GOING TO AGREE ON EVERYTHING , IT'S TRUE.     THERE HAVE GOT TO BE A LOT OF  PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK THE RAMONES SHOULD HAVE BEEN INDUCTED , NOR THE STOOGES , NOR THE SEX PISTOLS , WHO , OF COURSE , TOLD THEM WHERE THEY COULD PUT IT..... BUT , THERE ARE STILL INFLUENTIAL , AS WELL AS RECORD - SELLING , ACTS FROM THE 50's TO THE LATE 70'S THAT ARE'NT IN THE HALL OF INJUSTICE , WHILE THE LEAST ROCK'N'ROLL OF 'EM ARE.  AT LEAST , THE MOODY BLUES STARTED LIFE DOING R'n'B , AND MADE SOME GOOD RECORDS , THOUGH , IF THEY NEVER GOT INDUCTED (BUT , THEY WILL), I'LL SLEEP LIKE A BABY . IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THE DOOBIES ARE'NT IN THE HALL , ALREADY , AS THEY SEEM TO REPRESENT THE THINGS THE NOMINATING BOARD AGREES ON. I'D BE VERY SURPRISED IF BOTH BANDS WERE'NT INDUCTED IN 5 TO 10 YEARS.