Redd Kross  Stay Away From Downtown 
      Nevermores  Lilly's 11th 
      Ringo Deathstarr  Waste 
      Brian Wilson Shock Treatment  Nervous Breakdown 
      Palmyra Delran  You're My Brian Jones 
      Mojomatics  Losin' Time 
      Godfathers  Gone To Texas 

• December 16, 2012 12:44 AM CST
    • When I said "no two people would agree," I meant the general public, not just the nominating board.
      There are people who think the Ramones shouldn't be in, simply for being a fringey punk rock band that never gets played on the radio. And all the while, they're pissed because the Moody Blues or the Doobie Brothers aren't in.
      That's what I meant. By the seventies, rock was split up into too many separate factions for everybody to agree on everything.

John Battles said:

THAT'S THE DEAL , THO' , THEY SEEM TO AGREE ON CRAP........AND , to wait until key members of CERTAIN BANDS ARE DEAD BEFORE THEY START TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY - THE RAMONES , THE CLASH , THE DAVE CLARK FIVE.....I'm wondering how many members of Paul Revere and The Raiders have to kick it before they get nominated. Yes , we've been told the suits were silly , as if the suits played , but , hey . Lady Gaga has worn some silly outfits , and she'll be in when her time comes. Madonna wore a WHOLE lot of silly outfits , and has got the Rock like John Holmes had a nub , but , there she is !The Spice Girls and The Boy Bandswill be in , in a few years , too. Every Rock artist of worth , and that actually sold a shitload of records (Which should'nt always be the prerequisite.) , has'nt been nominated.

• December 15, 2012 8:22 PM CST
    • That's true, you can over-broaden your definition. Why are they overbroadening the definition? Is it populism or an attempt to keep it relevant that's misguided? 

To any hip-hop fans stumbling upon this by chance, get the campaign going to start a hip-hop hall of fame. You need one!

John Battles said:

...DID'NT MEAN TO LEAVE YOU WITH SUCH UNSETTLING THOUGHTS , THO' IT IS DISGUSTING  , THAT IS THE DIRECTION THEY SEEM TO BE GOING. WHEN RAP AND HIP HOP ACTS ARE IN THE HALL , AND LINK WRAY MAY NEVER BE IN IT , THERE HAS TO BE SUCH A THING AS OVER - BROADENING YOUR DEFINITION OF ROCK'N'ROLL , OR EVEN IN IT'S PROGENITORS AND DIRECT MUSICAL DESCENDANTS. MILT TRENIER IS PUSHING 85 , AND HE'S STILL TRYING TO GET THE TRENIERS IN THE HALL . THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE WITHIN THE FIRST FIVE YEARS. BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE ROCK'N'ROLL - AS ROCKIN' AS IT GETS - THEY WON'T BE ACKNOWLEDGED BY THE HALL. I HOPE I'M WRONG, BUT , I DON'T THINK SO.  IT'S LIKE SAYING ALAN FREED WOULD HAVE BEEN HANGING OUT WITH MADONNA OR FLAVOR FLAV , IF THEY'D LIVED IN HIS TIME.

• December 15, 2012 7:16 PM CST
    • ...DID'NT MEAN TO LEAVE YOU WITH SUCH UNSETTLING THOUGHTS , THO' IT IS DISGUSTING  , THAT IS THE DIRECTION THEY SEEM TO BE GOING. WHEN RAP AND HIP HOP ACTS ARE IN THE HALL , AND LINK WRAY MAY NEVER BE IN IT , THERE HAS TO BE SUCH A THING AS OVER - BROADENING YOUR DEFINITION OF ROCK'N'ROLL , OR EVEN IN IT'S PROGENITORS AND DIRECT MUSICAL DESCENDANTS. MILT TRENIER IS PUSHING 85 , AND HE'S STILL TRYING TO GET THE TRENIERS IN THE HALL . THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE WITHIN THE FIRST FIVE YEARS. BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE ROCK'N'ROLL - AS ROCKIN' AS IT GETS - THEY WON'T BE ACKNOWLEDGED BY THE HALL. I HOPE I'M WRONG, BUT , I DON'T THINK SO.  IT'S LIKE SAYING ALAN FREED WOULD HAVE BEEN HANGING OUT WITH MADONNA OR FLAVOR FLAV , IF THEY'D LIVED IN HIS TIME.

• December 15, 2012 5:49 PM CST
    • The thought of boy bands in there make me want to spew. I can't imagine Take That rubbing shoulders with Link Wray or The Velvet Underground, most of their surburban/sink estate housewife fans wouldn't know who they were. When I heard Steps split up, I cheered. I even cheered when Take That split up too, which I thought was the best thing the ever did.

John Battles said:

THAT'S THE DEAL , THO' , THEY SEEM TO AGREE ON CRAP........AND , to wait until key members of CERTAIN BANDS ARE DEAD BEFORE THEY START TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY - THE RAMONES , THE CLASH , THE DAVE CLARK FIVE.....I'm wondering how many members of Paul Revere and The Raiders have to kick it before they get nominated. Yes , we've been told the suits were silly , as if the suits played , but , hey . Lady Gaga has worn some silly outfits , and she'll be in when her time comes. Madonna wore a WHOLE lot of silly outfits , and has got the Rock like John Holmes had a nub , but , there she is !The Spice Girls and The Boy Bandswill be in , in a few years , too. Every Rock artist of worth , and that actually sold a shitload of records (Which should'nt always be the prerequisite.) , has'nt been nominated.

• December 15, 2012 5:23 PM CST
    • THAT'S THE DEAL , THO' , THEY SEEM TO AGREE ON CRAP........AND , to wait until key members of CERTAIN BANDS ARE DEAD BEFORE THEY START TO TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY - THE RAMONES , THE CLASH , THE DAVE CLARK FIVE.....I'm wondering how many members of Paul Revere and The Raiders have to kick it before they get nominated. Yes , we've been told the suits were silly , as if the suits played , but , hey . Lady Gaga has worn some silly outfits , and she'll be in when her time comes. Madonna wore a WHOLE lot of silly outfits , and has got the Rock like John Holmes had a nub , but , there she is !The Spice Girls and The Boy Bandswill be in , in a few years , too. Every Rock artist of worth , and that actually sold a shitload of records (Which should'nt always be the prerequisite.) , has'nt been nominated.

• December 15, 2012 4:31 PM CST
    • I always knew that as soon as the 70s became eligible for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, no two people would agree on who gets in. When it was just the fifties and sixties, there wasn't that much debate on the inductees. It was more a case of who got left out.

After 1970 or so, there were so many genres and subgenres that they damn near required their own store, let alone category. And even though some critics like to see rock as one big ole diverse family, some of the performers themselves wondered why they were being lumped in with rock music.  

Ah, fuck - callitwhatchawanna.

• December 15, 2012 4:25 PM CST
    • Yes, Sun Ra did some fine rock & roll/R&B tracks, usually backing up other people.

• December 15, 2012 4:02 PM CST
    • Didn't Sun Ra contribute to Rock'n'Roll? Howie Pyro did a really good issue of Intoxica with his stuff in, which was Jump Blues, R&B, etc. I loved listening to that on the way to college.

James Porter said:

Most of those 1950s honkin' sax guys like Big Jay McNeely, Joe Houston, Bull Moose Jackson, etc., had some kind of jazz background. Matter of fact, you could say that about most of the jump-blues crew.

Chris Henniker said:

It really needs streamlining, with more country artists who contributed, for starters, and fewer of the populist inductees like Madonna. What did she contribute to rock'n'roll anyway? They really need to purge people put in for spurious reasons like unit sales and put some real rock'n'roll in.

Just out of curiousity, what Jazz musicians contributed to rock'n'roll's genesis? 

• December 15, 2012 3:33 PM CST
    • Most of those 1950s honkin' sax guys like Big Jay McNeely, Joe Houston, Bull Moose Jackson, etc., had some kind of jazz background. Matter of fact, you could say that about most of the jump-blues crew.

Chris Henniker said:

It really needs streamlining, with more country artists who contributed, for starters, and fewer of the populist inductees like Madonna. What did she contribute to rock'n'roll anyway? They really need to purge people put in for spurious reasons like unit sales and put some real rock'n'roll in.

Just out of curiousity, what Jazz musicians contributed to rock'n'roll's genesis? 

• December 16, 2012 12:29 AM CST
    • It's tough to make a "Best of" list, when I know there's still so much stuff released in 2012 that I should've listened to, but haven't yet.  Anyway, my Top Six Albums/EPs for 2012, in no particular order:

Atomic Suplex: Diamond Skull EP

Don Juan y Los Blancos: Poder Blanco!

Ty Segall Band:  Slaughterhouse

Delta Bombers:  The Wolf

J.D. McPherson:  Signs & Signifiers

And one of my new favorites, the Hideout's own Monofones and their Superhits album:

• December 15, 2012 11:50 PM CST
    • Can I get a second (and last) bite at the cherry? New York!

awesome, anyway!

Tersicore said:

Could this video possibly been shot somewhere south side of Chicago?
      just curious...

• December 15, 2012 11:21 PM CST
    • Could this video possibly been shot somewhere south side of Chicago?
      just curious...

• December 15, 2012 11:15 PM CST
    • Chris, I owe you one!! 

This is the kind of shit a really like to discover now and again! :)
      Is this the same band, really? Hard to believe!
      AAAAAaacccccciiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddd!  

Chris Henniker said:

How about some curried Goat, laced with Acid naturally? I heard them in Rough Trade while getting Mum & Dad's Christmas presents.

• December 15, 2012 4:34 PM CST
    • How about some curried Goat, laced with Acid naturally? I heard them in Rough Trade while getting Mum & Dad's Christmas presents.

• December 15, 2012 8:19 PM CST
    • Thanks...I'll look those up.

John Battles said:

BEST UNRELEASED SONGS OF THE PAST 15 YEARS - SOME OF 'EM....f

? and The Mysterians - Beware , Joe.

NoBunny - You Don't Love Rock'n'Roll.

Fleshtones - Feels Like a Woman (Troggs cover.).

Sirens - High School (MC5 cover.).

Polkaholics - Hava Nagila/Human Fly /Paint it , Black medley.

Bloodshot Battles Overdrive - Rat Fink , Tongue - Tied Jill.

Best Fucking Unobtainable Songs - Fleshtones - We Remember The Ramones.

Nervebreakers - Face Up To Reality.

Chocolate Watchband - Love For $.

• December 15, 2012 7:36 PM CST
    • BEST UNRELEASED SONGS OF THE PAST 15 YEARS - SOME OF 'EM....f

? and The Mysterians - Beware , Joe.

NoBunny - You Don't Love Rock'n'Roll.

Fleshtones - Feels Like a Woman (Troggs cover.).

Sirens - High School (MC5 cover.).

Polkaholics - Hava Nagila/Human Fly /Paint it , Black medley.

Bloodshot Battles Overdrive - Rat Fink , Tongue - Tied Jill.

Best Fucking Unobtainable Songs - Fleshtones - We Remember The Ramones.

Nervebreakers - Face Up To Reality.

Chocolate Watchband - Love For $.

• December 15, 2012 4:31 PM CST
    • I was thinking of just this very thing the past couple of days....Though I do my best to block Christmas out , to the extent that I seldom listen to even my favorite Xmas R'n'R Songs...

Like , um ..... Wailers - Christmas Spirit .

Sonics - Santa Claus , Don't Believe in Christmas.

Slade - Merry Christmas , Everybody.

Bob Seger and The Last Herd - Sock it To Me , Santa.

Teddy and The Talltops - Christmas in The Congo.

James White and The Blacks - Christmas With Satan.

Elvis - Santa Claus is Back in Town , Merry Christmas , Baby , Blue Christmas ,   Santa Bring My Baby Back To Me.

Wizzard - I Wish it Could Be Christmas Every Day.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins w/The Fuzztones - It's That Time Again.

Rod Rogers - Santa Claus Goes Modern.

Deadmoon - Christmas Rush.

Buck Owens - Santa Looked a Lot Like Daddy .

Dickie Goodman - Santa Claus and The Satellite.

Cheech and Chong - Santa and His Old Lady.

Lon Chaney , Jr. - Monster's Holiday.

Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight .)

RAVERS- Punk Rock Christmas.

JAMES BROWN - Santa Claus is Definitely Here To Stay , Santa Claus , Go Straight To The Ghetto ,  Hey , America !

Andre Williams - Hey , Mr. Santa .

• December 15, 2012 3:44 PM CST
    •  Enter Naomi: SST, L.A. and All That . . .

In 2005, Joe discovered that former SST staff photographer Naomi Petersen had been mysteriously found dead in a Washington, D.C., hotel room some two years earlier. Late last year, Joe published Enter Naomi: SST, L.A. and All That . . . , a book about his time in L.A. working at SST that also eulogizes Naomi—in a sometimes very confounding light.

Via the Village Voice, 2008

It sounds grisly, but I'd really like to know if it's a good read. S'posed to show LA in all its tawdry glory.

And here's a Q&A from this year, JOE CARDUCCI ON THE GLORY DAYS OF SST RECORDS

• December 15, 2012 3:28 PM CST
    •  Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 15, 2012 3:09 PM CST
    • "I used to collect Stones picture sleeves. I've got all I need ,now. Picture sleeves are for CHILDREN."    Roy Loney.

• December 15, 2012 1:12 PM CST
    • the Birthday Party do a crackin version of 'Loose'. Peel Session

dave said:

Oh, I know it's both real and tongue-in-cheek, but, like ya said, "the sheer hilariousness of such a statement is a reflection of a Rock ego". Who else would remake Suicide's 'Cheree' and make it sound as good?

• December 15, 2012 1:08 PM CST
    • MEEEEAT! Grink of Meat (Ren and Stimpy) Classic Punx!

• December 15, 2012 12:32 PM CST
    • Yeah. Goat. World Music album is amazing. Great live band as well. They're Scandinavian i think? Stunning!

Axel Björnsson said:

maybe not stoner. but good shit oldschool/new wave going on here. with some dash of africa!

• December 15, 2012 12:28 PM CST
    • True Scotsmen. Busted for beer. Classic