Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 22, 2012 2:11 AM CST
    • Oh yeah, Wes is the thing! Coming to think of it:

I can only imagine that he would have been eaten up by the new "performance art show" crowd of nowadays, for his, uhm, all natural looking "act." Only to headbutt them  for a hello, haha!

Chris Henniker said:

Anyone like Wesley Willis? A true outsider musician if there ever was one, who was so bad, he was great.

• November 21, 2012 7:06 PM CST
    • Anyone like Wesley Willis? A true outsider musician if there ever was one, who was so bad, he was great.

• November 22, 2012 2:08 AM CST
    • Yeah , Zak Starkey , that's his real name , is Ringo's Son ,and he's been playing Drums with The Who for years. He's so close to Moon's style , it IS pretty scary. Of course , Moon and Starr were close friends ( THE MOON AND THE STARRS, LA LA)....YEAH , "El Ultimo Beso" ("Last Kiss") was a hit , I think , in Mexico , for Los Johnny Jets. I met their Drummer's Son ,last year. His name is'nt Zak.

• November 21, 2012 4:39 PM CST
    • Tip o' the hat to ya for Los Johnny Jets, couldn't find that song, but this

Los Johnny Jets El ultimo beso could almost be in a Scorcese soundtrack. (off-topic, I know)

I didn't know that Ringo's kid was playing drums, good goin' Ringo!

Yeah, both the Kinks and The Who missed out on the opening B.I salvo, the Kinks by Dave Davies bashing a shutter-bug *at the AIRPORT*, Oy! Back to ol' Blighty for you boys... With The Who, maybe it was simply pesky bad luck, 'cause they sure had everything else going for 'em! (Although 1 of those creepy British tabloids had the nerve to dismiss them as 'nippers with big noses and small genitals' [!!!])

• November 21, 2012 3:09 PM CST
    • THAT'S PROBABLY ALSO TRUE.... If they got away from each other long enough , I'm sure they  could all be pleasant. I don't know anybody that ever knew them , tho'. A friend of mine literally ran into Pete in Richmond , UK. HE SAID HE WAS IN A BIG HURRY AND DID'NT STOP TO BICKER , Just as my friend did'nt block his way , to talk about Guitars.

dave said:

Hi John,

Thanks for hipping me to 'Call Me Lightning' I'd never heard it. Liked it so much I put it in a mixtape ...

Yeah, over in the States The Who seem to be criminally overlooked. As far as British Invasion stuff goes, for me they are part of the Holy Trinity: Stones/Who/Kinks (Beatles were the tip of the wedge, opening the way for others [betters?]...)

I love loud crunchy chords with lyrics, harmonies, as well as a bit of Baroque Pop, so only the Kinks come close (but they have that feyness that makes 'em the Kinks, The Who always seemed tough to me. Daltrey wasn't merely a tough guy, he had that great raspy vocal delivery).

I didn't find out about 'em 'til I was a Jam fan (barely play them anymore. The Who, always).

Incidentally, have y'all seen this, Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who (2007) part 1

Fucking amazing white-boy R&B, smokin' stuff!

(Part of me still wishes they had kept with the R&B, wow...)

Still a Moon fan, tho' Kenny was great in the Small Faces (another overlooked band in America, dimmit!)

• November 21, 2012 2:49 PM CST
    • Dave , Yeh, I recently found that "Amazing Journey" set, great stuff , especially the rare as fuck High Numbers performance of "OO Poo Pah Doo" and another R'n'B song I forget.

Daltrey looks badass , utterly full of himself with those big bug wraparound shades , but , that's what that band needed. But , I don't , personally , consider The Who to be part of The  British Invasion , if only because , by the time they conquered America in earnest , the Invasion was over. They were TRYING during the Stones/Who /Beatles /Animals /DC5 onslaught , to be sure. "Call Me Lightning" was a minor U.S. hit , so , the 45 , backed with Entwistle's  Horror classic , "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", is still pretty easy to find.

Los Johnny Jets , from Mexico , their version , as "Dam Dam" is killer , even replicating Entwistle's second greatest solo/bridge to a tee. I even found a budget CD in Mexico with a remake of "Dam Dam", probably from the 90's , that's even better than their original recording !

I'm not saying Moon can be touched (Tho' Ringo's kid is doing an awfully credible job.),

but , I saw The Who in 1980 , with Kenny Jones , of course , and damned if he did'nt hold down the fort. The Small Faces still don't get their due in America , but people who SHOULD be fans would rather listen to Northern Snore. Not that you can't like both.

• November 21, 2012 2:36 PM CST
    • P.S What you said about Moonie having prollems, hmmm, I have to agree, But, it's interesting to note that in an interview (name escapes me, sry) he said that, while he and Roger may come off as people who may have an ax to grind, they were not.

Pete, however, WAS.

• November 21, 2012 2:30 PM CST
    • Hi John,

Thanks for hipping me to 'Call Me Lightning' I'd never heard it. Liked it so much I put it in a mixtape ...

Yeah, over in the States The Who seem to be criminally overlooked. As far as British Invasion stuff goes, for me they are part of the Holy Trinity: Stones/Who/Kinks (Beatles were the tip of the wedge, opening the way for others [betters?]...)

I love loud crunchy chords with lyrics, harmonies, as well as a bit of Baroque Pop, so only the Kinks come close (but they have that feyness that makes 'em the Kinks, The Who always seemed tough to me. Daltrey wasn't merely a tough guy, he had that great raspy vocal delivery).

I didn't find out about 'em 'til I was a Jam fan (barely play them anymore. The Who, always).

Incidentally, have y'all seen this, Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who (2007) part 1

Fucking amazing white-boy R&B, smokin' stuff!

(Part of me still wishes they had kept with the R&B, wow...)

Still a Moon fan, tho' Kenny was great in the Small Faces (another overlooked band in America, dimmit!)

• November 21, 2012 2:08 PM CST
    • That would'nt surprise me in the the least , but ,, The Who  AND The Troggs had everything to do with the development of The MC5  sound. Sometimes , quite literally. Everyone knows "I Want You Right Now" is an uncredited rewrite of "I WantYou" by The Troggs , but , "Black To Comm" also has bits and pieces of "Out in The Street" by The Who
       thrown in , too. As I'm sure you know , you could count all the public screenings of "A True Testimonial" on your thumbs. It showed once in Chicago with Wayne , Michael and Dennis present . Naturally , their names were'nt mentioned beforehand , and , naturally , I was told the movie sold out , when , of course , it did'nt. Later , there was going to be a five day run , but , that was when Kramer and Filmmaker , David Thomas , had their falling out. Short story long ,I've seenthe film ,but, it's been years.....
      Gringo Starr said:

It's well known that the MC5 blew thee 'OO away at the Grande Ballroom. I can't think of another band that could possibly do that at that time (besides the five). The story is that the Five had the Who shaking in their boots backstage. Working class Detroit boys trump working class London boys any day. See "MC5: A True Testimonial" documentary for all the details.

• November 21, 2012 8:55 AM CST
    • It's well known that the MC5 blew thee 'OO away at the Grande Ballroom. I can't think of another band that could possibly do that at that time (besides the five). The story is that the Five had the Who shaking in their boots backstage. Working class Detroit boys trump working class London boys any day. See "MC5: A True Testimonial" documentary for all the details.

• November 22, 2012 1:56 AM CST
    • Wow , sorry to hear that. That was probably right after I saw them in Dallas.
        Not to gloat , of course. 
      SMF said:

I was set to see The Clash in Tucson @ '82, but I blew out my knee just before the show and there was no chance of seeing anyone, let alone the best band on the planet.

• November 21, 2012 6:07 PM CST
    • I was set to see The Clash in Tucson @ '82, but I blew out my knee just before the show and there was no chance of seeing anyone, let alone the best band on the planet.

• November 22, 2012 1:53 AM CST
    • WELLLLLLL.....I'd say he's a Cracker Soul singer like Wayne Cochran and Tom Jones , in a more "ROCK" Setting.

James Porter said:

I don't hear the "soul" in Arthur Brown, but that Crazy World Of Arthur Brown LP is pretty good. More going on than just the one hit.

• November 21, 2012 9:30 PM CST
    • I don't hear the "soul" in Arthur Brown, but that Crazy World Of Arthur Brown LP is pretty good. More going on than just the one hit.

• November 21, 2012 4:33 PM CST
    • He is one of Britain's finest soul singers, after all. He should be in the RRHoF by right.

John Battles said:

If I'd had 20 choices , I'd already  have considered putting Brown on my list , which is no slight on his importance , nor his enormous talent as a writer , singer and even dancer . He's VERY difficult to classify , as he's done early Space Rock , Post - Freakbeat Psych- Rock , Electronica (Not the butt - shakin' , coke snortin' variety , HA HA.), AND HIS OWN TAKE ON BLUES and R'n'B.   THE HELL OF IT IS , HE'S PROBABLY AN EVEN BETTER SINGER , NOW , THAN WHEN MY BROTHERS AND I USED TO PLAY OUR "FIRE' SINGLE IN THE DARK AND SCARE THE PISS OUT OF OURSELVES.   
      Chris Henniker said:

I considered him as a possible wild card, but my lists would be too big otherwise.

The Revox said:

Have someone mentioned the great Arthur Brown ?? He should be in the top of the list even if he didn't play garage !

• November 21, 2012 2:16 PM CST
    • If I'd had 20 choices , I'd already  have considered putting Brown on my list , which is no slight on his importance , nor his enormous talent as a writer , singer and even dancer . He's VERY difficult to classify , as he's done early Space Rock , Post - Freakbeat Psych- Rock , Electronica (Not the butt - shakin' , coke snortin' variety , HA HA.), AND HIS OWN TAKE ON BLUES and R'n'B.   THE HELL OF IT IS , HE'S PROBABLY AN EVEN BETTER SINGER , NOW , THAN WHEN MY BROTHERS AND I USED TO PLAY OUR "FIRE' SINGLE IN THE DARK AND SCARE THE PISS OUT OF OURSELVES.   
      Chris Henniker said:

I considered him as a possible wild card, but my lists would be too big otherwise.

The Revox said:

Have someone mentioned the great Arthur Brown ?? He should be in the top of the list even if he didn't play garage !

• November 21, 2012 7:16 AM CST
    • I considered him as a possible wild card, but my lists would be too big otherwise.

The Revox said:

• November 21, 2012 5:16 PM CST
    • Dig Ted Benson, is not what I was looking for but is good, I liked it. I like Black Angesl, I listenen to them for the first time a couple of years ago and they caught my ear. Pissed Jeans sounds good, i'll look for more.

I been lately into Art Phag, House of Knives, Barton And Harry, Sunglasses After Dark and Voodoo Idols. 

Thank you all for the recommendations, if you have anything like the bands mentioned before just let me know.

• November 21, 2012 2:29 PM CST
    • Of course , in Chicago , we have every language spoken that you could imagine....I'm sure you noticed that when you were here... I used to help a couple of my neighbors with their English lessons , just because I could see they were trying, and deserved to be encouraged.

Whatever language you're trying to learn, you do have to be around people who speak it fluently to  pick up on certain , more subtle things. Of course , Castillo , or Castillian Spanish is radically different from Mexican Spanish. I'm certainly not fluent in Spanish ,but , I live near a Mexican community , and , even though a lot of them speak English, I try to pick up on things they're saying in Spanish.

Of course , Johnny and June did some other great duets, like "If I Were a Carpenter" and "It Ain't Me , Babe". June started out as a comedian , if you've ever seen early footage from Th 50'S.

Tersicore said:

Hey John! Thank YOU for your kind words of encouragement!!

(Haha, too funny!... but looks like we do have in Europe some schools for raping German, Italian and other languages, as well!) :D

My English´s been better at the time i was living in Chicago for half a year, about 20 Years ago but since then it got worse and worse, of course.
      Languages always needs to be trained and this´s what i´m trying to do   here now but sometimes when you guys talks is just Greek to me, so i go   on the theory that my knowledge can´t be that good! Adding at that my   (by now) poor vocabulary... at times i think i could sound boring, you know? BUT I´ll SPEAK UP ANYWAY AND YOU GUYS HAVE TO SUFFER! :D

Is much better to speak spanish in Mexico, so you are much less "Gringo" ;)

John Battles said:

AND , THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS , TERSICORE.

YOU'RE CERTAINLY NOT RAPING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE , HERE , QUITE THE OPPOSITE.

IF YOU WENT TO OUR SCHOOLS , YOU MIGHT HAVE LEARNED HOW TO........

and

Teriscore , Hey , never apologize for your English. I think it's great that people make an effort to learn. It's not as though I speak Spanish fluently , but, people dig it when I try. When I go to Mexico , much of it comes back to me.If you were ever able to visit The US , or , even Britain , I think you'd find your English is better than you give yourself credit for.

Tersicore said:

WoW!  Sounds cool!! Thanx

Copy the embed code you find under the YT-clip: (>share>embed) and paste on "media". sorry my english sucks, hope you got it! 

ROCKANDROLLSEN said:

**BUD AND KATHY - HANG IT OUT TO DRY

Im new to this, how do I get it to come up with a thumbnail of the video. 

• November 21, 2012 7:13 AM CST
    • You´re right, for sure there is more than "Jackson" and
      even better than this, but i can´t recall right now..

"..someone who know the words...." She´s so cute!

A´m agree about Sparky, he should carry on with a solo career, as well.

I like his voice immensely!
      To be honest after seen his face without makeup i´ve also realized how
      HOT this guy is! (I can´t help it, i love scars!)

John Battles said:

Boy , I've never heard Sparky singing in a context like THIS.   I saw Demented Are Go several years ago , and , by that time , they'd already lost any Rockabilly influence , sounding more like Motorhead than any of their records I had.....That's OK , it was entertaining. But , Sparky might have himself a future as a Murder Balladeer , ala Nick Cave.

"Jackson" , nothing that needs to be added , is there?