Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 17, 2012 10:23 AM CST
    • When you start talking about female artists anywhere, the worst chauvinism comes out...unfortunately!! Gringo's statement enhances this....unfortunately. Logically, when you talk about female artists, you're gonna hit it with glamour, beauty, long blonde hair and the like. We're talking about FEMALES or aren't we??! Of course I don't dig every chick with a guitar, etc. ....indeed, I don't dig chix like Lady Gaga that's for sure...I hope this is consolation enuff here:):)!!

Tersicore said:

Sleazy,
      i don't wanna be polemical, but recently i was thinking this thread slowly looks more like a beauty-contest and has not longer much to do with music anymore.
      just my 2 cent
      btw, i think you got wrong what Gringo Starr says

• November 17, 2012 10:14 AM CST
    • Sleazy,
      i don't wanna be polemical, but recently i was thinking this thread slowly looks more like a beauty-contest and has not longer much to do with music anymore.
      just my 2 cent
      btw, i think you got wrong what Gringo Starr says

• November 17, 2012 9:33 AM CST
    • What the hell are you on about?? I'll ask some questons now....isn't it about time that we learnt from SERIOUS singers like Janis Joplin aND gRACE sLICK that women can rock with the men folk just as good as the latter can??! Women playing only bass??? Try these chix if you dare:)

(PS: if you shut down this thread now, it means I was right all along that there are still many male chauvinists out there in rockland!!!!!:):):))

GORE GORE GIRLS:):)

• November 17, 2012 9:01 AM CST
    • This thread has really deteriorated in my opinion. Is this topic just about posting pics or videos of any genre of band that simply has a female member involved? Crystal Viper? Really? This is the GaragePunk Hideout, remember? Can't do better than this? Or is this topic just spent? Could be. How about broadening the topic a bit? Do you think the Garage or Punk movement is more gender unbiased than other scenes? What do woman bring to rock and roll that men can't? Or, why does it seem that women in bands are always playing bass? These are just some ideas. Go with it. But if someone starts posting pics or vids of Heart, I'm gonna shut this discussion down. Thanks for your attention.

• November 17, 2012 8:29 AM CST
    • CRYSTAL VIPER singer:)

• November 17, 2012 8:28 AM CST
    • Thanx for the heads up....I really liked her in TV too:)

Heineken Shot said:

Wotcha Sleazy,

Transvision Vamp stopped recording together in '92. Wendy James is pursuing a solo career, you can follow her on Facebook & Twitter. She is really skinny these days but still hot. Her music is more "arty creative"-rock now and well worth listening to.

=:D

sleazy said:

Are TV still around???:)

Heineken Shot said:

Gotta be  Xmal Deutchland, Joan Jet, Siouxie + the Banshees, The Primitives, We've Got A Fuzzbox, Transvision Vamp, The Breeders, Curve, X-Ray Spex and the Selecter.

(to name a few)

• November 17, 2012 8:00 AM CST
    • Wotcha Sleazy,

Transvision Vamp stopped recording together in '92. Wendy James is pursuing a solo career, you can follow her on Facebook & Twitter. She is really skinny these days but still hot. Her music is more "arty creative"-rock now and well worth listening to.

=:D

sleazy said:

Are TV still around???:)

Heineken Shot said:

Gotta be  Xmal Deutchland, Joan Jet, Siouxie + the Banshees, The Primitives, We've Got A Fuzzbox, Transvision Vamp, The Breeders, Curve, X-Ray Spex and the Selecter.

(to name a few)

• November 17, 2012 7:05 AM CST
    • The Sonics will play a benefit for Norton Records on november 28th at Patronaat Haarlem, the Netherlands. 

Sonics play for Norton Records (in Dutch...)

• November 17, 2012 6:11 AM CST
    • It almost turkey time and I will be bringing you my first ever Thanksgiving themed garage-punk radio show.  In addition to the usual crap, there will be songs about pilgrims, turkey, gravy and even cowboys. You can listen to the Jeff of the Future Radio Show on Saturday November 17, 2012 from 1:00-3:00PM EST on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu

• November 17, 2012 5:56 AM CST
    • In blue Tolex? Ok I'm sold! Any chance of a sample on here at some point?

• November 16, 2012 9:55 PM CST
    • I could see SONGS THE LORD TAUGHT US  being written about in the series.  But someone would have to be super-dedicated indeed to write one on The Dirtbombs, I think.

Grazianohmygod said:

They do take open calls for proposals. So if anyone was super-dedicated to writing a book about their favorite garage punk classic, and they had an extremely persuasive proposal they might just make it happen.

I know they're gonna do Richard Hell and the Voidoids Blank Generation soon. I could totally see the Cramps making the cut one day, or even The Dirtbombs' Ultraglide in Black.

• November 16, 2012 6:30 PM CST
    • They do take open calls for proposals. So if anyone was super-dedicated to writing a book about their favorite garage punk classic, and they had an extremely persuasive proposal they might just make it happen.

I know they're gonna do Richard Hell and the Voidoids Blank Generation soon. I could totally see the Cramps making the cut one day, or even The Dirtbombs' Ultraglide in Black.

• November 16, 2012 6:13 PM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Nov 15/2012

1. Ugly Ducklings...Just In Case You Wonder....from the Somewhere Inside CD on Pacemaker. Recorded live on CHUM AM 1967.

2. White Wires...Roxanne...from their 2nd LP and goes out to Rockin' Roxanne who was birthday celebrating during the show.

White Wires at Moon Over Marin 3/13/10

3. The Dead Beat...Stomp Siren...from their brand new CD, Boss Sound. Hamilton Ontario surf combo who supposedly surf in Hamilton harbour....and if you believe that...

4. The Belairs...Mr Moto...from a Rhino surf compilation and goes out to lead guitarist Eddie Bertrand who passed away recently.

5. Terror Lake...Chief Of Staff...from a recent demo. Toronto combo who combine surf, psych, noise and a whole lotta fun into their sound!

6. The Viletones....Swastika Girl...from the OPM CD, A Taste Of Honey. This goes out to artist Manwoman who passed away this week. Manwoman was a British Columbia based artist who championed the swastika as a symbol of good. He was covered in swastika tattoos and many of his paintings featured the swastika. Check out this short CBC documentary on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/radiowest/2012/11/14/remembering-artist-manwoman/

7. T.H.E....Grilled Cheese...demo from these local youngsters who will be playing at The Black Shire Pub tonite.

8. Living Deadbeats...Walmart Apocalypse...from their only 12" and goes out to support underpaid Walmart workers world wide.

Living Deadbeats at Call The Office, 7/23/12

9. The Hook Up...Burnin'...from the Call Up The Devil CD which still isn't officially released.

Jamie and Dave of The Hook Up along with a geek.

10. The Zellots...I Love My Dog...recorded live at Call The Office 10/27/12 and The Zellots will be playing Dec 8 at Call The Office...they've re-united for just these 2 shows.

11. The Rezillos...It Gets Me...from the Can't Stand The... LP from 1978. And they are coming to This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton Ontario 11/23/12.

12. The Rezillos...I Can't Stand My Baby...as above. And The Revillos last played London Ontario in September 1981 at Fryfogles.

13. Evil Farm Children...Brain Buffet...from the latest GaragePunk Hideout download CD, Garage Monsters.

The Evil Farm Children visit CHRW Studios...5/23/09

14. The Electric Chairs...Bad In Bed...from the Blatantly Offenzive LP from 1978 and a request for Mike NephewofUIC. Had a little accident while playing this record as someone bumped the turntable so you got this song almost 2X!

15. The Skyhooks...You Just Like Me Cos I'm Good In Bed...from the Ego Is Not A Dirty Word LP from 1975.

16. Cherry Vanilla...The Punk...from the 1978 LP Bad Girl.

17. The Great Scots...I Ain't No Miracle Worker...from the Sundazed LP The Great Lost! This is the beginning of a pile of Halifax bands that go out to Buck Malibu, former DJ at CHRW and now a resident of Halifax...or maybe he's really in jail and the Halifax thing is a way of tricking us.

18. The Great Scots...That's My Girl (Rotten to the core)...from the Open Up Yer Door Volume 2 compilation LP. This LP is probably Norton related so i started to rant about Norton Records and the major flood they are dealing with...if it wasn't for Norton Records, there would have been no What Wave zine, hence no Radio What Wave. Help our pals at Norton anyway you can, PLEASE!!! Donate, go to a Norton benefit, help them move and clean records...anything you can do!

19. The Stolen Minks...Batman...from the Family Boycott CD. When Rachel says 'you can even leave the mask on' when asking Batman to have some fun, it always brings a grin to my noggin'!

The Stolen Minks at Call The Office 8/17/07

20. The Baketones...I'm A Caveman...from the Unite CD. We had these guys on Radio WW a coupla years back and live, they were demonic!!! Total crazed madmen!!

A Baketone on the floor of the Black Shire Pub...8/23/10. And that's after falling off the stage with the keyboards and not missing a note!!!

21. Bloody Diamonds...I'm Not A Machine...from the They've Got Secrets LP. We had Bloody Diamonds on for a live to air a coupla weeks back...great band!!!

Bloody Diamonds Live on Radio What Wave 9/27/12.

22. The Stance...Yellow Fever...from the I Left Love Behind A Long Time Ago LP that came out a couple years back. Sad to say, they've broken up.

The Stance at Call The Office after an early, yet sweaty show 8/30/06

23. Sloan...I Hate My Generation...from the Twice Removed CD and they are in town tonite.

24. Bad Bad Bad...Don't Push Me...from their self titled CD and the end of the Halifax set. Obviously Halifax has had tons of cool bands over the years!

25. Radio 4...I Don't Wanna Go To New York...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24, available now in cool stores here in London Ontario.

26. Uranus...Motorbikin'...also from Slippery's Club Hits.

Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook, requests etc....back next week with more fun stuff.

You can listen to the archived shows here:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• November 16, 2012 4:43 PM CST
    • Must be 18-20 years since I read Tony Sanchez's book, all bollocks but an enjoyable read none the less.

John Battles said:

YEAH , WHATSHISNAME , THE GUY WHO WROTE "UP AND DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES" , TONY SANCHEZ  ? HE SAID THAT A DOCTOR IN SWITZERLAND PERFORMED THE VERY ILLEGAL (AND QUITE IMPOSSIBLE) TRANSFUSION OF ALL THE BLOOD FROM HIS BODY , TO BE REPLACED WITH FRESH , DRUG -FREE BLOOD......AND THAT KEITH OFFERED TO LET HIM HAVE THE SAME TRANSFUSION , ON HIS DIME. "HEY , DADDY-O ...MAKE MINE TYPE "O"".

I THINK THE RUMOR WAS COMPOUNDED BY THE FACT THAT , AROUND '78 , KEEF UNDERWENT SOME KIND OF ELECTROSHOCK TREATMENT (Or something related...) TO CURE HIM OF JUNK ADDICTION (TOO MUCH POWER , AND HE'D HAVE BEEN CURED LIKE A TURKEY! Come to think of it , he looks like he HAS.).....CREEM RAN AN ARTICLE ABOUT IT , AND , THOUGH HE , NATURALLY , STILL LOOK DISSHEVELED , HE LOOKED REMARKABLY HEALTHY BY COMPARISON.

I SAW THE NEW BARBARIANS TOUR IN FT. WORTH , AND KEEF DID LOOK SURPRISINGLY GOOD. HE EVEN HAD GOOD HAIR FOR A CHANGE.  Of course , his Heroin bust , right about that time , put all rumor of his getting clean to paid.

Mark George Harrison said:

I personally always loved the Keef having his blood changed one!

• November 16, 2012 4:33 PM CST
    • Didn't Brians girlfriend at the time go in to hiding for years as well? I watched 5 minutes of stoned and turned it off, it looked truly awful!

John Battles said:

"I was drowned , I was washed up and left for dead." . That's true , but it was'nt duly noted and authorized , notorized and stamped with a Grade A seal , so , the confession was deemed inadmissable. The movie "Stoned" was based on the book "Who Killed Christopher Robin" , based on the theory that Brian was murdered.

The rumour started because Jones was a strong swimmer, even if shitfaced, but took a bizarre twist when builder Frank Thorogood(?) gave a death bed confession that he drowned Brian because he was an obnoxious shit!

Kirk Teeters said:

What about the persistent rumor that Brian Jones was "done away with"? No one ever seems to have come up with a particularly convincing explanation for "Who" or "Why"  but every time it's mentioned in the media there's that bit about "rumors abound that he met with foul play."

• November 16, 2012 4:28 PM CST
    • Strangely I'd never heard the Rod myth, here (UK) it was always credited to Marc Almond.

John Battles said:

YOU KNOW WHAT , YOU'RE RIGHT ! THERE IS A BOOK , THERE.....I heard it in Junior High at the same time. We were kids , not particularly progressive in our thinking , we wanted to believe certain things , but , in the back of my mind , I thought another kid at school made it up.  I did'nt hear the story again for YEARS , until my friend's band , Lava Sutra , made reference to it in a song. It WAS the equivalent of what "Going viral "is , today. Peter Bagge DID A HILARIOUS CARTOON , around that time ,  changing said Rock STAR'S NAME TO "Reginald".

trashman said:

Well we all know the Rod Stewart one.

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 16, 2012 3:34 PM CST
    • It was a BIG deal at the time. "The Great Hoax" , they called it. McCartney's last album , for me , was "Run , Devil Run". The others don't count.

Andy Climax said:

Does the Paul Mccartney's dead rumour count? Abbey Road'n'all that guff. Back then i suppose it was news. Now, after the last album, it would be a blessing! (only joking of course)

• November 16, 2012 3:31 PM CST
    • THAT , I can believe. They probably would have had more fun , too.....But , Elvis may have already been handed early drafts of the "Spinout" or "Speedway" scripts , so he would have had an unfair home field advantage. 

Johnny Danger / Itchy Scabs said:

Such as it's true The Beatles visited Elvis Presley at one of his California homes in '64 or '65 (?). What's unlikely is that The Beatles and Elvis broke into a jam session , or that they played Monopoly with real money. Does'nt seem like the world will ever know.  

However, it is very likely that the Beatles raced the King on his personal professional grade slot car track (a Blue King 8 laner). Who won?

• November 16, 2012 3:13 PM CST
    • YOU KNOW WHAT , YOU'RE RIGHT ! THERE IS A BOOK , THERE.....I heard it in Junior High at the same time. We were kids , not particularly progressive in our thinking , we wanted to believe certain things , but , in the back of my mind , I thought another kid at school made it up.  I did'nt hear the story again for YEARS , until my friend's band , Lava Sutra , made reference to it in a song. It WAS the equivalent of what "Going viral "is , today. Peter Bagge DID A HILARIOUS CARTOON , around that time ,  changing said Rock STAR'S NAME TO "Reginald".

trashman said:

Well we all know the Rod Stewart one.

But what I find interesting is how it all evolved.  I remember hearing it back in 4th or 5th grade (1979 or 80); but I heard it from a kid in a lunch room.  And I thought it sort of started there. Then I met kids in other high schools and they knew it.  Then onto college and they knew it.  Then professional life living all over the U.S. and they knew it.  

This rumor was spread before the days of the internet so remarkable the way it carried along an oral tradition (no pun intended) of storytelling.  Of course, we all got to an age we knew it was false but remarkable to the extent this dirty little rumor spread.  

I recently heard Rod Stewart address while doing the media tour for his new book.  It was started by an ex-publicist he fired.  Remarkable.  

The way this story spread via person to person in the late 70s/80s is worth a book in itself.

• November 16, 2012 3:06 PM CST
    • "I was drowned , I was washed up and left for dead." . That's true , but it was'nt duly noted and authorized , notorized and stamped with a Grade A seal , so , the confession was deemed inadmissable. The movie "Stoned" was based on the book "Who Killed Christopher Robin" , based on the theory that Brian was murdered.

The rumour started because Jones was a strong swimmer, even if shitfaced, but took a bizarre twist when builder Frank Thorogood(?) gave a death bed confession that he drowned Brian because he was an obnoxious shit!

Kirk Teeters said:

What about the persistent rumor that Brian Jones was "done away with"? No one ever seems to have come up with a particularly convincing explanation for "Who" or "Why"  but every time it's mentioned in the media there's that bit about "rumors abound that he met with foul play."

• November 16, 2012 3:02 PM CST
    • THAT is too funny , Andy ! Someone told  me , years ago ,  about a band called Nickel Bag , I thought , "What a stupid name!" , then , I realized I'd misunderstood , "Nickelback? That's even worse. ". I was hardly surprised when I found they'd raised the bar for how bad a band can BE!

I heard this as well, obviously a myth!

SMF said:

HA... Good one!!!

Andy Climax said:

Another myth i heard fro a friend recently was, that Nickleback were good? is this true?

• November 16, 2012 2:58 PM CST
    • YEAH , WHATSHISNAME , THE GUY WHO WROTE "UP AND DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES" , TONY SANCHEZ  ? HE SAID THAT A DOCTOR IN SWITZERLAND PERFORMED THE VERY ILLEGAL (AND QUITE IMPOSSIBLE) TRANSFUSION OF ALL THE BLOOD FROM HIS BODY , TO BE REPLACED WITH FRESH , DRUG -FREE BLOOD......AND THAT KEITH OFFERED TO LET HIM HAVE THE SAME TRANSFUSION , ON HIS DIME. "HEY , DADDY-O ...MAKE MINE TYPE "O"".

I THINK THE RUMOR WAS COMPOUNDED BY THE FACT THAT , AROUND '78 , KEEF UNDERWENT SOME KIND OF ELECTROSHOCK TREATMENT (Or something related...) TO CURE HIM OF JUNK ADDICTION (TOO MUCH POWER , AND HE'D HAVE BEEN CURED LIKE A TURKEY! Come to think of it , he looks like he HAS.).....CREEM RAN AN ARTICLE ABOUT IT , AND , THOUGH HE , NATURALLY , STILL LOOK DISSHEVELED , HE LOOKED REMARKABLY HEALTHY BY COMPARISON.

I SAW THE NEW BARBARIANS TOUR IN FT. WORTH , AND KEEF DID LOOK SURPRISINGLY GOOD. HE EVEN HAD GOOD HAIR FOR A CHANGE.  Of course , his Heroin bust , right about that time , put all rumor of his getting clean to paid.

I personally always loved the Keef having his blood changed one!

• November 16, 2012 3:26 PM CST
    • I meant "Numbers". As a follow up to the Rolling Stones/James Brown debacle , it's widely believed The Stones never released "The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus" (Until ,of course , it turned up , finally , on VHS and CD , then DVD , because they felt their performance was subpar , and was overshadowed by The Who. I dunno. It was the end of the road for The Jones - era Stones , but I'd say it was hardly subpar. Of course The Who was great , but The R'n'R Circus was one performance by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac short of genius.

John Battles said:

It would have been nice if The Who had done a few more stripped - down affairs to leave with an understanding....And , Quadrophenia could have benefitted from SOME MORE FUCKING GUITARS , PETE , but , sure , I have a copy. I even have a copy of "Tommy" , mainly because I found an original on Decca , stone mint for $2. I figured I'd want to play it again , someday (My 1st copy was stolen in 1980.), that was about 10 years ago. I do like the movie , though Arthur Brown should have sung the whole of "Eyesight To The Blind", and Alice Cooper should have played Cousin Kevin. Think about it. But , there were later tracks I still like too , like "I Don't Even Know Myself" , "Relay" , "Water" , even "The Who By Mumbers" has some good rockers on it.   As for The Jam , you'd think girls would've liked them in their spiffy haircuts and suits. But , maybe they were too aggro for many young women of the day ? At least , in the states . Or , possibly , just too loud. One of my friends saw them at The Riviera in Chicago (He may have meantThe Park West.)  , and said he had to adjourn to the men's bog , and listen from there , because they were SO FUCKING LOUD.

melissa scott said:

Well, the Who were my first Big Band, ya neh? Me and Trixie, 12-year-old DJ wannabees, would record our own radio shows full of Who tracks. I'm with trashman -- if only they had done a few more low-fi, raw albums before traveling at lightspeed to Rock Opera! One can only imagine... Still, Quadraphenia comes miles before Tommy on my stereo and for all their worldwide fame and notoriety, they still don't get the airplay of the Stones or Beatles, which probably suits me anyhow.

Hey Gringo -- I reckon you are onto something tho' -- the whole larikin/lad aspect of the Who make them a decidedly blokey band. Ditto when the Jam first toured the US. I remember being one of the few females to venture out in front of the stage (well, there were a lot of jumping boys going nuts) and no screaming girls. Hmmmm. Less girlie appeal means fewer top 40 hits? Anyway, you can't sell teen mags that way, a contributor to the different fortunes, not that the Who didn't sell records, but... they always seemed to have one foot in the alleyway.

Must now go and play some early 'OO clips to work by.

• November 16, 2012 3:13 PM CST
    • Show #397: "The Eggman Collection #127"

The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 20,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 127th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Premiata Forneria Marconi, The Lemon Pipers, Algarnas Tradgard, The Deviants, Gracious!, The Beach Boys, Fever Tree, The Rolling Stones, Bobb Trimble, P.P. Arnold, Skip Bifferty, The Ventures, The Zombies, Bee Gees, Stackridge, Orphan Egg, Henry Cow, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• November 16, 2012 2:58 PM CST
    • Yeeeah, okay, I meant the Electric Prunes, of course.  I forgot to mention that my brain only works on rare occasions these days. 

DJ Johnson said:

...or The Seeds' "I Happen To Love You".