Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 16, 2012 2:50 PM CST
    • subjective, yes going to buy  the vox tomorrow, ac 15 ltd edition in blue tolex i should have got one years ago.

not much of a tone freak myself, but i know its gonna sound a whole lot better than anything else ive had in the past.

• November 16, 2012 2:47 PM CST
    • I DON'T THINK SO.....Not much more than Gacy was promoting Rock shows in the Mid - 60's , ostensibly to meet young men.....But , not to KILL THEM. RAY SAID , ONCE , THAT HE WAS KIND OF COMING ON TO DAVE , BUT DAVE'S OBVIOUS DISINTEREST WAS ACKNOWLEDGED BY GACY , WHO AT LEAST RESPECTED HIS WISHES , AFTER THE FACT. 

Ken said:

I didn't know the John Wayne Gacy thing.  Is there more of a story there?

John Battles said:

As for Ray Davies , there's no doubt he was stressed out , and had a run of bad luck (3 year Ban from The US , anyone?). But , he's probably the luckiest man alive. When he and his Brother went to John Wayne Gacy's house , at least he had'nt begun his killing spree.

• November 16, 2012 1:52 PM CST
    • I personally always loved the Keef having his blood changed one!

• November 16, 2012 1:50 PM CST
    • I heard this as well, obviously a myth!

SMF said:

HA... Good one!!!

Andy Climax said:

Another myth i heard fro a friend recently was, that Nickleback were good? is this true?

• November 16, 2012 1:49 PM CST
    • The rumour started because Jones was a strong swimmer, even if shitfaced, but took a bizarre twist when builder Frank Thorogood(?) gave a death bed confession that he drowned Brian because he was an obnoxious shit!

Kirk Teeters said:

What about the persistent rumor that Brian Jones was "done away with"? No one ever seems to have come up with a particularly convincing explanation for "Who" or "Why"  but every time it's mentioned in the media there's that bit about "rumors abound that he met with foul play."

• November 16, 2012 12:46 PM CST
    • One that's true, but good enough to be a legend, is that Keith Richards literally wrote the guitar line to Satisfaction in his sleep.

Richards used to keep an audio recorder by his bed. One morning he woke up to find that the tape was at the end. Richards rewound it and hit play -- pause -- bwam-bwam...nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh...bwam-bwam for thirty seconds. Then the sound of the guitar being thrown down. Then forty-five minutes of snoring.

• November 16, 2012 5:28 AM CST
    • I didn't know the John Wayne Gacy thing.  Is there more of a story there?

John Battles said:

As for Ray Davies , there's no doubt he was stressed out , and had a run of bad luck (3 year Ban from The US , anyone?). But , he's probably the luckiest man alive. When he and his Brother went to John Wayne Gacy's house , at least he had'nt begun his killing spree.

• November 16, 2012 3:08 AM CST
    • I think Ringo would've won it by a nose, haha

Kirk Teeters said:

I'm bettin' on Elvis. After all, it was his track. So... home-field advantage?

Johnny Danger / Itchy Scabs said:

Such as it's true The Beatles visited Elvis Presley at one of his California homes in '64 or '65 (?). What's unlikely is that The Beatles and Elvis broke into a jam session , or that they played Monopoly with real money. Does'nt seem like the world will ever know.  

However, it is very likely that the Beatles raced the King on his personal professional grade slot car track (a Blue King 8 laner). Who won?

• November 15, 2012 11:35 PM CST
    • I'm bettin' on Elvis. After all, it was his track. So... home-field advantage?

Johnny Danger / Itchy Scabs said:

Such as it's true The Beatles visited Elvis Presley at one of his California homes in '64 or '65 (?). What's unlikely is that The Beatles and Elvis broke into a jam session , or that they played Monopoly with real money. Does'nt seem like the world will ever know.  

However, it is very likely that the Beatles raced the King on his personal professional grade slot car track (a Blue King 8 laner). Who won?

• November 15, 2012 11:23 PM CST
    • Such as it's true The Beatles visited Elvis Presley at one of his California homes in '64 or '65 (?). What's unlikely is that The Beatles and Elvis broke into a jam session , or that they played Monopoly with real money. Does'nt seem like the world will ever know.  

• November 15, 2012 9:39 PM CST
    • What about the persistent rumor that Brian Jones was "done away with"? No one ever seems to have come up with a particularly convincing explanation for "Who" or "Why"  but every time it's mentioned in the media there's that bit about "rumors abound that he met with foul play."

• November 15, 2012 6:02 PM CST
    • HA... Good one!!!

Andy Climax said:

Another myth i heard fro a friend recently was, that Nickleback were good? is this true?

• November 16, 2012 2:25 PM CST
    • I think they are fun little reads but at the same time they do feel like the equivelant of those VH-1 Classic albums series.  I personally don't feel they are going to dive into garage punk territory beyond BLACK MONK TIME(if they decide to even do that album), simply because it's loved by alternative fans as well as garage fans.  The Stooges FUNHOUSE is probably another they'll do but waiting for a Gories book or any of the Billy Childish albums is probably futile.

• November 16, 2012 1:06 PM CST
    • I really like this series and I've read a few of them. They vary in quality but because of my interest in the topic I've always enjoyed them. Short books = quick read. The best ones I've read so far are the ones on MC5 - Kick Out the Jams and Love - Forever Changes. Not a lot of coverage of garage punk, but the series is still ongoing so who knows? According to Wikipedia they're up to 86 books so far.

• November 16, 2012 12:57 PM CST
    • Does anyone else enjoy this book series? Each one documents the creation/importance of an album.

Each book is a quick read (no more than 200 pages) and you can get some good insight on the artists and the songwriting/recording process.here's a good mix of old and new. The Beatles, Stones, James Brown, The Kinks, Tom Waits, The Pogues, Pixies, The ReplacementsNirvana have all been covered.

There are a few in the series where the book's writer only talks about how the album has affected their life (leading to a few unsatisfied fans), but overall I think they're great.

Here's the whole dang list of titles.

• November 16, 2012 2:06 PM CST
    • I'd like to see Jools Holland do a one-man band showcase on "Later.."

• November 16, 2012 2:34 AM CST
    • For fans of BECKY LEE AND DRUNKFOOT and the ONE MAN DESTRUCTION SHOW I've got them both on at my WEIRDSVILLE night in Camden London Sunday 2nd Dec, please support these artists by telling your friends and anyone that might be interested, many thanks Mr A

get more info here www.yougotgoodtaste.com

• November 16, 2012 6:21 AM CST
    • Since I'm talking from one 'OO 'ead to another, Mr. G. Starr, would you say Moon had an influence on you as a drummer? The more I read about him, the more I'm intrigued by what he did.

Would love to hear a drummer's perspective.

Ditto for the guitarists on the Hideout re Mr. Townsend's influence, if any...

Mel, who is still grateful to the babysitter who let her stay up late to watch The Who on the Tom Jones Show :D

Gringo Starr said:

Thee 'OO!! Probably third place in the 'Holy Trinity' of the British Invasion by most enthusiasts but they are my favorite! Yes, I am an American, a total U.S. 'Garage-in-the-mid-sixties' freak and a die-hard Who fan!! Arguably the first Punk band in Rock and Roll history as well as having one member blow away the song writing skills of Lennon/Macartney (spelling?) and Jagger/Richards in a single bound (starting with The Who Sells Out). I love the whole sordid story of these boys, the four opposite personalities, the fights onstage and the love that would come later. The music of the Who is by far the most timeless out of the other two bands mentioned above and I expect time will prove that out (in time). Way too much for me to say about these lads so just let me get on the board here; I am one of the Who-Heads!

• November 16, 2012 12:14 AM CST
    • Artists who, for whatever reason, I never got around to seeing:

the Ramones

the Rolling Stones

the Isley Brothers

Doug Sahm

Bill Monroe

SPECIAL MENTION: Gories (a friend of mine who worked at a record store recommended that I see their show at Chicago's late lamented Lounge Ax, back in 1990...while I kept their name in mind and eventually bought the record, I didn't see them live...I had no idea that they wouldn't play Chicago again for another 20 years, although Dan and Mick returned several times in different bands...yes, I did see the reunion shows)

• November 15, 2012 11:12 PM CST
    • Hi.  I'm DJ Johnson.  I'm a fan of a lot of genres of music, but my two favorites are power pop and garage.  With Surf right in there somewhere, really.  I love a powerful garage-punk vibe, and I really have a thing for all that plus a layer of psych to give it some depth, like The Mortals' "Disintegration" or The Seeds' "I Happen To Love You".  Love the blast-in-the-face punk on Gearhead, and also the punk bands in Sweden like Division of Laura Lee, Sahara Hotnights (for a while), (International) Noise Conspiracy, Soundtrack of Our Lives, The Maggots, their alter-selves The Maharajas, etc.  I ran an online music magazine called Cosmik Debris from 1995 to 2007, and that exposed me to a lot of the great garage and surf bands of that period.  I currently do two shows on Head Case Radio, one called The Debris Field, which is all genres smashed together (sans opera), and Channel Z, which is the kind of show that fits in with this crowd, so check it out, if you can.  (Saturdays, 10-11 AM Pacific.)  Shutting down the magazine kind of broke my connection to the scene.  It's pretty exciting finding this place.  I had no idea it was out there.  

• November 15, 2012 6:37 PM CST
    • I only have two album, s/t and Hatful of Hollow, but would still count them among my top 80's faves. its been a long time, but i remember their show at the Greek Theater in Berkeley quite well. Morrissey is a brilliantly clever lyricist full of irony and cutting wit. It didn't hurt having the guitar genius of Johnny Marr either.

• November 15, 2012 5:33 PM CST
    • Come on, come clean. I know there are Smiths fans on this board, as I'm one. Anyone fancy meeting me at the Cemetery Gates and telling me the best thing Morrisey told you? Or, will Big Mouth Strike Again once more and divide the shoplifters of the world?

Laying the cards on the table, my fave Smiths album is "The Queen Is Dead". Why? It's got the funniest songs on there, especially "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others". 

• November 15, 2012 5:24 PM CST
    • Another track to add fuel to this argument. This is just stunning. The sublime Amorphous Androgynous and the sinister DJ Food. A perfect blend of Psyche and Dance fusion

• November 15, 2012 5:01 PM CST
    • Kid Congo's Birds

• November 15, 2012 4:55 PM CST
    • Gotta stick this in. Ten Benson. Great British rock band if y'wanna check'em out.