Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 25, 2012 2:01 PM CDT
    • Most of the time I hate living in Atlanta (traffic, heat, pollen...), but there are a few redeeming qualities, one of which is our thriving lowbrow scene. Also, Labor Day weekend is always super awesome in Atlanta because not only do we host the nerd fabulous Dragon*Con, but also the Official World Famous Drive Invasion

Every year my husband and my friends set up a tent in the parking lot of the Starlight Drive In Theatre next to a bevy of hot rods to drink lots of beer, listen to awesome garage, surf, and rockabilly bands all day, and then watch fun movies at night (this year will be Blade Runner, Big Trouble in Little China, and Blackula).  The music headliner for the 2012 Drive Invasion is the Black Lips, so if you live in the Atl or within striking distance you should head over to the Starlight on Sept. 2nd.

• August 25, 2012 1:27 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Aug 23/2012   All female led band show as our tribute/show of solidarity for the ladies of Pussy Riot!

1. X Ray Spex...Oh Bondage, Up Yours....from the Germ Free Adolescents CD. Anti bondage song to start the show.

2. Poison Girls...Persons Unknown...from a split 7" on Crass Records from 1980.

3. Poison Girls...Jump Mama Jump...from the Hex LP on Crass Records 1979.

4. Crass...Systematic Death...from the Penis Envy LP on Crass Records.

5. The Hook Up...Church Belles...from the Call Up The Devil CD. The Hook Up are moving to Hamilton Ontario very soon and will be back playing in this area again.

6. The Curse...Killer Bees...from their only 7". The first all female punk band on the Toronto scene.

7. The Poles...CN Tower...from their 1977 single.

8. The Hippies...Nuclear Disaster...1982 7" from London Ontario.

9. The Zellots...Blades...1980 demo from London Ontario. The Zellots will be reuniting on Oct 26th for our opening party of the Underground Graphics London Ontario 1977 to 1990 show.

10. The Lunachicks...Get Off The Road...from a double 7".

11. Lost Patrol...No Escape...from their very first single and only record that features original vocalist Chris Larche.

12. The Stolen Minks...Bring It...from their High Kicks CD.

13. Big Maybelle...One Monkey Don't Stop The Show...1954 session on Okeh Records.

14. Wanda Jackson...Riot In Cell Block # 9...from the Heart Trouble CD and this features Lux and Ivy of The Cramps.

15. Jane Doe...Dance With Me Henry...local single from the mid 80's that featured a number of prominent locals.

16. Celia And The Mutations...Mony Mony...1977 single with The Stranglers as the backup band.

17. Joan Jett...Roadrunner...from the Fit To Be Tied CD, a greatest hits compilation.

18. The Cubes...On A Leash...from their 1979 7" on Tremor Records.

19. White Lung...Viva La Rat...from their It's The Evil CD.

20. Meow....Kill Kill Kill...from their first 7" on Twist Like This Records out of Texas. The band was from Vancouver and released an excellent CD on Mint Records and features Neko Case on drums and vocals.

21. Meow... Catastrophe...as above.

22. Plasmatics...Monkey Suit...from their first LP, New Hope For The Wretched from 1980 on Stiff Records.

23. Stolen Minks...Minks Riot...from their very first CD. Halifax all girl garagepunk combo who came to London a few times and rocked the house!

24. Vagiants...Alright...from a promo CD and recorded right here  in London at Call The Office. This features J-Rod on vocals and guitar, who went on to....

25. Angry Dragons...Snake Apartment...from their first 7".

26. Tyranna...Shockface...from the Rave Up LP. Late 70's Toronto punkers who finally get a full length.

27. Eliza and the Strange...Baby Don't Be Nice...from their self titled debut LP. They've since renamed themselves Bloody Diamonds and are coming to London the last thursday of September.

Out of time...thanx for all the phone-ins, requests, emails etc. Back next week at the same time.

Here's the link to the archived show:

http://www.chrwradio.ca/audio/by/title/radio_what_wave

• August 24, 2012 9:31 PM CDT
    • Stream or download the Aug. 24 show right here.

Let’s Get Dumb – Muscle Beach
      Young & Dumb – The Bobbyteens
      I Don’t Mind – Teengenerate
      It’s Easier to Be Dumb – Thee Marvin Gays
      Dirty & Dumb – Labretta Suede
      Dumb Love – The Paybacks
      She’s a Dumb – Teengenerate

Snatch it Back – Tav Falco’s Panther Burns
      She’s the One That’s Got It – Allen Page
      I’m Gonna Put a Watch on You – The Ruby Lee
      I Can’t Control Myself – Wild Evel & Los Infierno
      Betty & Johnny – The Liminanas
      Simona La Ramona – Spider Bags

I’m Your Man – The Hangmen
      Psycho ’84 – T. Tex Edwards & Out on Parole
      Keep on Walking – Hank Haint
      Sundown – El Pathos
      Shake It – Left Lane Cruiser & James Leg
      Good Night, Sleep Tight – The Bloody Hollies

Local Lunchbox
      Born Leader Boogie – Muddy Udders
      Murphy Brown – Muddy Udders
      Mouth Breathin’ Man – Muddy Udders
      Butterknife – Muddy Udders

I’m Gonna Love You Back to Life – Missing Monuments
      Waiting Around – The Cry
      She’s Gone Hollywood – All Night Newsboys
      See the Other Guy – Mother’s Children
      Uglier – Redd Kross

Left Over Right – The Sights
      Another Day Without You – Jeff Hershey & the Heartbeats
      All Grown Up – The Exciters
      Baby’s in a Bad Mood – Michael Shelley
      I’ve Got Something – The Buckle
      That’s How Strong My Love Is – The Attention
      Fresh Out of Tears – Joe Tex

The Troubled Kind – Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
      Chuck’s Blues – The Above
      You’re Not Gonna – The Outlets
      I’ll Say Hello – The Thunderbeats
      El Plan – Los Chicos Problema
      Luv Me True – New Kind of Mambo

Modern Storm – Chimiks
      No Luck Nightmare – The Flip-Tops
      All Night Fever – The Dicks
      My Head is Sick – Pangea
      Plastic Factory – The Pow Wows
      Toi Toi – Regal

Where Will You Go – Jacco Gardner
      Faces of Death – Natural Child
      The Gutter – Nobunny
      Piledriver – Dennis the Fox
      Love Bug – Lena Horne
      I’m a Cool Teenager – El Pauling & the Royalton

• August 24, 2012 6:01 PM CDT
    • Hello everyone,

I'm Kevin and new to the hideout! I look forward to getting to know everyone and I run a new magazine in Long Beach CA that represents all kinds of wild rock n roll mayhem!

This issue (Summer) has features on White Zoo Records, Underground Medicine, Rapid Pulse, Erica Case, Hell's Belles (the movie) and PinUp Model Kayleigh Dunne!

Please visit us and I hope you enjoy what we've come up with! In the future we're always looking for new contributors, bands, and personalities! Feel Free to Say Hi!

FEAR AND LOATHING LB

Cheers!

• August 24, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
    • Show #386: "The Eggman Collection #120"

NOTE: Due to an illness in my family which has me a little distracted at the moment, plus working 50-plus hours a week, I will be doing only Eggman Collection specials in the next couple of months until things slow down in the fall. I'm calling it "The Back-To-Back Eggman Collection End Of Summer Super Spectacular Extravaganza!"
      The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 120th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Gracious!, Purple Passage, Hello, The Zombies, The Troll, Bonnie Dobson, Aphrodite's Child, Thor's Hammer, The Beatles, The Carolyn Hester Coalition, Bobby Callender, Blossom Toes, nePenthe, The Good Rats, Rainbow Ffolly, The Peppermint Rainbow, Mops, Tim Hardin, Angel Pavement, Zerfas, McDonald & Giles, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• August 23, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
    • Somebody should at least write a song for 'em called "Fat, Old & Slow"!

electrocute your cock said:

That really should be the title. Can't wait to hear Greg yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

GONER RECORDS said:

Oblivians are fat and old. And slow.

• August 22, 2012 11:23 AM CDT
    • That really should be the title. Can't wait to hear Greg yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

GONER RECORDS said:

Oblivians are fat and old. And slow.

• August 21, 2012 3:50 PM CDT
    • Hot Pockets was right! DESPERATION is the album title. Oblivians are fat and old. And slow.

Even the Pagans got better when they got old and fat and slow!

Oblivians are playing Gonerfest 9 on Thursday, Sept 27. See for yourself, you gutter shop faceholes! (also SPITS, NOBUNNY, and a ton of other turkeys. gonerfest.com for more! )

• August 21, 2012 1:41 PM CDT
    • And here we go! I heard back from Greg, and here's a direct quote:

"The Oblivians record is finished and should be out by the end if the year. Reigning Sound album is on the way for next year as well as a new Parting Gifts record!"

IT WON'T BE LONG NOW!! And remember, you heard it first here on Hideout! ;)

• August 22, 2012 9:48 PM CDT
    • Well, that's a little more info about the song.  Didn't know about Deja Voodoo.  This version definitely isn't them though.

• August 22, 2012 3:22 PM CDT
    •  I COULD'NT ACCESS THE mp3 , AND i DON'T HAVE THE ALBUM (I've probably seen it once in my life...) , but the title is a song by ( Miriam Linna -era) Cramps soundalikes , Deja Voodoo , from Montreal. I always associated those comps with Detroit (Once brimming with Garage bands no one within 100 miles seemed to care about.), it's possible they put Deja Voodoo on the comp under another name , as they may have still been under contract to Midnight Records in New York. Just a theory....

• August 22, 2012 6:00 PM CDT
    • Thank you , Jarkko. Even Mike Hurtt does'nt think I'm a genius. Usually. You made my day.

• August 21, 2012 1:36 PM CDT
    • GENIUS! We could collect collect a bunch of suggestions here and post a top 3 list or something to the ITR Facebook page! 

Or should we just propose The Great Uncles...? 

John Battles said:

Maybe we could meddle and interfere by staging a contest to name the band. Actually , I think "The Great Uncles" is a great name !

• August 22, 2012 4:18 AM CDT
    • Hi,

I am George from Athens Greece, 36 years old. I am a crappy self educated guitar player with passion for tone seeking and guitars.

in the web you will find me with the username SGACE.

I started listening to garage rock after I heard the Inside Out album of the Miracle Workers about 12 years before. After that i dig more into the scene and my favourites are the Gruesomes, Sonics, Monomen, Flaming Groovies, etc.

George

• August 21, 2012 1:13 PM CDT
    • i lived in Austin twice and still miss the scene. May move back there. 16 years in NYC may have been enough.

Stoned Again Productions said:

Hi, I live in Austin. I am here because the music is exactly what I was looking for.  I was a teen all through the 70s.  Bands were playing / practicing in garages all over the city . It was way to cool.  You could pick and choose. The garage old school punk sound was considered pretty heavy back in the day, compared to today's standards.  I am just gonna enjoy myself. I did read the Terms Of Service before I signed up.  All is well. Good day, Drew F

• August 21, 2012 12:44 PM CDT
    • I feel like a damn fool for having completely lost touch with the NYC music scene. I used to be in bands and have a lot of fun back in the day. Then I got in a relationship for 9 years and cocooned may way into nowheresville. Now that I'm single, and geezer-ish, I want to get back to my rocking roots. Is there any hope for me?

I have guitars, amps, pedals, time and riffs.

• August 21, 2012 9:59 AM CDT
    • I'm Simon, live in Toronto. Grew up on '80s hardcore and got heavily into earlier punk etc at the end of the '80s, as hardcore started to get stale and the first KBD-style comps started to appear. Been into all kinds of underground rock'n'roll ever since. I really dig learning about older scenes and collecting records, and I run a label that mostly does reissues nowadays. The first Real Kids LP is my all-time favourite record, if that tells you anything.

• August 21, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
    • Great seeing some classic Aussie 60's... especially the Throb. Have you heard their single 'Black'? Awesome!

Cheers

• August 21, 2012 1:42 PM CDT
    • The Aug. 21st Show!  Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120819-0030-t1345332601.mp3

The Setlist:

LEAGUE OF NOTIONS  DON'T BLAME ME 

GRANPA BOY  DEAD MAN SHAKE 
      HOWLIN' WOLF  WHAT A WOMAN 
      WHITE MYSTERY  PARTY 
      MARSHMALLOW OVERCOAT  DIA DE LOS MUERTOS 
      LEAGUE OF NOTIONS  LIVIN' ON THE SIDEWALK 

THE MONKS  MONK TIME 

COCK SPARRER  ARGY BARGY 
      JOHNNY THUNDERS  DADDY ROLLING STONE
      JON SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION BRENDA 
      COMPULSIVE GAMBLERS  QUIT THIS TOWN 
      BLACK SABBATH  FAIRIES WEAR BOOTS 

THE WARLOCKS  COSMIC LETDOWN

THE METEORS JOHNNY REMEMBER ME 
      GRAINGER HUNT  NOAH 
      BLANCHE  SUPERSTITION 
      RED SOVINE  PHANTOM 309 
      ROKY ERICKSON  FOR YOU I'D DO ANYTHING 

• August 21, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • This week's featured music from The Users, Mach Kung-Fu, The Yardbirds, Forgotten Rebels, Lou Reed, Cold Warps and more. 

Download this weeks podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120821-1030-...

Check out this week's blog post on The Users Sick of You single here:
      http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-users-sick-of-you-show-419.html

The Play List:

1.  Mach Kung-Fu – Jungle Bandstand
      2.  Phono-Comb - Grip n' Grin
      3.  This Machine Kills Robots – Mineshaft
      4.  Frontiers – Years
      5.  Modern Superstitions – School Days
      6.  Rah Rah – Little Poems
      7.  Flamin’ Grooves – High Flyin’ Baby
      8.  Lew Lewis – Boogie On The Street
      9.  Little Junior’s Blue Flames – Mystery Train
      10. Arthur “Big Boy” Crudup – My Baby Left Me
      11. Lou Reed – Merry Go Round
      12. The Yardbirds – Got To Hurry
      13. Drums Along The Gardener – Fish
      14. The Beaumonts – She Treats Me Right
      15. The Dynamics – I’ll Be Standing There
      16. The Mokkers - This Boy
      17. The Vores – Stress
      18. Colleen Green – I Wanna Be Degraded
      19. Forgotten Rebels – This Ain’t Hollywood
      20. Cellos – Mass Production Scheme
      21. The Users – Sick of You
      22. The Users – (I’m) In Love With Today
      23. Cold Warps – Dream Creepin'

• August 21, 2012 4:24 PM CDT
    • They have very good tone, and you don't have to worry as much about keeping them humidified (although common sense still applies, no leaning them against the radiator). They stay in tune better. No need for increasingly scarce premium tonewoods. A high quality guitar can be sold for less then a comparable wooden one. That's all I can think of right now. I've played a few, they were nice.

Doc Sanchez said:

...it seems to be a graphite guitar

What's the special thing about them?

• August 21, 2012 2:08 PM CDT
    • i made this song up last year. just off the top of my head. no vocals yet, cause i'm not a singer, but i have fun listening to it on my iPod while i walk the sidewalks of Manhattan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zwZMsqDKgc

• August 21, 2012 8:29 AM CDT
    • Set your tone with a good amount of mid, some gain, and play hard. HAVE FUN.