Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 11, 2012 4:00 AM CDT
    • Thanks for this. Good stuff!

• August 10, 2012 2:06 AM CDT
    • I found a live recording from back in the 60's at the Hollywood Bowl a while back on the net... Way cool performance, immaculate energy produced by the original line-up! Couldn't be matched in the later years by whatever randoms playing for Saxon...

• August 10, 2012 7:41 PM CDT
    • Some have mentioned  - Ty Segall, very prolific, mostly low-fi, loud, fast and killer melodies. The newest Album - "Slaughterhouse" is like a live studio album, with his touring band, including 2 members of the moonhearts.  They are still streaming it live on SPIN Mag website if ya wanna check it out, I recommend the cover of "Diddy Wah Diddy" or "Muscle man" for a quick tatse.  Ty Segall new Album

Peace - Chaz

• August 9, 2012 6:43 PM CDT
    • Suedehead! Very good SoulSka... for the rude boy in us all !!!!

• August 9, 2012 2:44 PM CDT
    • Cheap Freaks, Bury Them All. Trashy garage punkabilly/countryblues. Crampsy,surfy, psychedelic and with a 60's feel to it. Quite accessible and catchy yet GOOD and the album is inexpensive too.

• August 10, 2012 3:22 PM CDT
    • Show #384: "The Eggman Collection #118"

NOTE: Due to an illness in my family which has me a little distracted at the moment, plus working 50-plus hours a week, I will be doing only Eggman Collection specials in the next couple of months until things slow down in the fall. I'm calling it "The Back-To-Back Eggman Collection End Of Summer Super Spectacular!"
      The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 118th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: The Dave Pike Set, The Mynah Birds, The Mint, Earth Opera, Man, Junior's Eyes, The Monkees, Yes, Queen, The Angels, Giles Giles & Fripp, Mecki Mark Men, Vanilla Fudge, David Bowie, The Buckinghams, Justin Heathcliff, Amon Duul II, The Deviants, Frank Zappa, The Zombies, The Creation, Lynn Blessing, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• August 10, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Thursday Aug 9/2012

When i arrived to do the show, there was a pre-recorded segment airing...(ie nobody was at the station and they were playing some show that had been broadcast prior) so i hijacked the station and started at about 5:30PM, hence the longer playlist.

1. X Ray Spex....Let's Submerge...from their Germ Free Adolescents LP from 1978. 'We're going down....to the the underground' has always been a battle call for underground music in my books!!

2. catl...Got A Thing For You...from their latest CD, Soon This Will All Be Gone.catl in action at Call The Office 4/25/10

3. Eddie Coffin and His Invisible Men...Invisible Boogie....Hamilton blues punk combo.

4. Eddie Coffin and His Invisible Men...Them Alley Cat Blues...as above. Crude, rude and fun blues the way it should be done!

5. Bobby Fuller 4....Nervous Breakdown with a promo for a show on Friday Aug 10th...only $1 at the door!

6. Light Bulb Alley....Pepper Spray....from the Garagepunk Hideout compilation CD, We Love Trash!

A well attired Light Bulb Alley after a show at Brennan's 4/21/12

7. The Hypnotics...Here She Comes Now...from their Static Fuzz Radio LP and they will be playing tonight in Windsor at FM Lounge. And singer/guitarist Dave has a radio show called Revolution Rock, every tuesday 10:30AM - 12 Noon on CJAM out of Windsor University...well worth checking out!

8. The Dustaphonics...Catwoman's Strut...from their Party Girl CD on Dirty Water Records.

9. The Blue Demons...Cougar Country...from a new 7" on Boppa Do Down Records outta Toronto.

10. Drive Train...Time Is Of The Essence...7" on Tombstone Records from 1988.

11. Wax Mannequin..R&R WND....an abbreviation for Rock'n'roll will never die and from The Price CD and a request.

12. Familiar Fiends...Shut Up Little Man...from a brand new 7" compilation called BTFD Rock Vol 1 and from Brantford Ontario...about an hour east of sleepy London Ontario.

13. Tyranna...My Neighbour....from the recent Rave Up LP and this particular song was recorded at The Edge (Toronto new wave/punk club that closed down June 1981) as Wayne/Jayne County was recording a live LP there that night and someone offered to record Tyranna as well.

14. Evil Eyes...Honey Please...from their brand new 7" and we've been informed that drummer Craig Leather Upper is doing his last show with the band tonite at Mitzi's in Toronto.

15. Persian Claws....Mysterious Mystery...from a demo and goes out to Rufus Noble Savage as we were talking about this band the other day and i said this was my fave song by them.

16. Radio Birdman....Aloha Steve and Danno...from a 7" and goes out to Mike Baarda as he asked about Chris Masuak who will be at Call The Office on Sept 28th doing Birdman, Screaming Tribesmen, Hitmen, New Christs and other songs from his long illustrious career.

17. New Christs...Born Out Of Time...from the Detritus 12". One of those songs that just bleeds honesty and energy!!! I'm trying to convince Chris Masuak to play this song when he comes to London....any help appreciated!

18. The Hitmen...Rock'n'Roll Soldiers...from the 78-82 LP on Survival Records.

19. 63 Monroe...Strike 3...from their Rave Up LP which collects some of their early tracks. Singer Steven R Stunning and his fiancee have a Buck And Doe happening this weekend at Call The Office with 63 Monroe, Johnny Terrien, Alcohollys, Jayne Mansfield's Head and several other bands playing.

63 Monroe back in 1981...at The Cedar Lounge in London Ontario.

20. 63 Monroe...Give 'em Up....recorded on closing night at The Cedar Lounge, May1/82.

21. 63 Monroe...Hijack Victim...from the Rave Up LP.

22. Alcohollys...don't know the name of the song, but it was recorded at Call The Office 7/23/12.

23. Fist City...Buried....this is the start of our La Ti Da Records special as we received a bunch of new releases....and Fist City come to London monday Sept 3rd...

24. Tranzmitors...Concrete Depression....another brand new La Ti Da release.

Tranzmitors at Call The Office 5/8/2011

25. Needles/Pins....Getting On Home...another  brand new La Ti Da release from this Vancouver power/pop styled combo.

26. React....Sounds That I've Heard...another brand new La Ti Da release. 2 members of The Tranzmitors form a new combo that ventures into late 60's freakbeat style sounds!

27. Ballantynes....Misery....yet another brand new La Ti Da release.

28. Ballantynes...The Railtown Abbey...from their previous La Ti Da 7" and a fave around Radio WW!

29. The Reply...Memphis Train...since we're on a soul kick, let's play this demo from our fave soul/mod/garage/R&B combo from Toronto.

The Reply at Brennan's, Apr 21/2012

30. The Living Deadbeats...Beauty Of The Rose...from their recent LP.

Living Deadbeats....Call The Office 7/23/12

31. The Bomboras...He's Waiting....recorded live at Call The Office, 11/98. That was the night that was the night keyboardist Jake Cavaliere set his keyboard on fire!! Obviously part of the act, but it was a sight to behold...no pics from that night unfortunatly.

32. UIC....What I Want....recorded live at Call The Office 3/16/85 and had to cut this short as the clock on the wall says it's time for Ryan In The Red to takeover with his Freakout show!!!

Back again next week with a special called....E L V I S...That's The Way to Spell Success!

It's the 35th anniversary of The King's passing so we're gonna play some tributes to Elvis, poke some fun at him and you'll hear some songs you won't hear anywhere else, all in the name of Elvis!  Here's a link to the facebook event for the show:

https://www.facebook.com/events/480995815246469/

And here's a link to this show and a few previous shows:

http://www.chrwradio.ca/audio/by/title/radio_what_wave

Thanx for all the phone-ins, requests, emails, facebook messages and HEYS!!!

• August 10, 2012 2:49 AM CDT
    • Aaah, life and the places it takes us...

gary gilmore said:

-just remembered listening to this on a neon yellow sony walkman on my way to this chic-who-never-ended-up-being-my-true-love house! hah!

Anyhow, I found myself pondering this question A LOT this morning, trying to come up with the perfect playlist song-by-song. I came to the conclusion that there are several variables to be taken into account - whether it's a brisk sunny morning and you're on your way to the gym or the beach, a grey afternoon and you're stuck in the after work traffic, of if it's a cool evening stroll, destination unknown. To me, the answer would be drastically different on each occasion.

But, based on the commute this morning (it was a bit chilly but sunny outside), I would have to say that in the ideal situation I would've:

- started off with some good ole 70s/80s power pop, as that tender, not-quite-awake-yet state of being calls for some sweet, up-beat melodies (btw, I consider it important not to put the music on before stepping out of the door, but preferably just as you breath in the first of the fresh morning air):

POINTED STICKS - PART OF THE NOISE

THE RUBINOOS - I WANNA BE YOUR BOYFRIEND

THE LIMIT - UH OH

- then, around the time I got on the bus, feeling energized and positive, I'd crank it up a notch, and the person sitting next to me would just have to deal with my lip-syncin'-head-boppin'-eyes-closed demeanor:

RADIO BIRDMAN - MURDER CITY NIGHTS

THE KIDS - THIS IS ROCK 'N ROLL

PAGANS - WHAT'S THIS SHIT CALLED LOVE?

SWEATMASTER - ANIMAL

- finally, getting off the bus and taking the short walk to the office, I would pull out all guns and yank my neck like crazy with my fists in the air, parading my armpits to everyone present:

TEENGENERATE - DRESSED IN BLACK

THE REATARDS - TEENAGE HATE

OBLIVIANS - CHRISTINA

Then, when I got to work I'd be like "What? Those stats don't add up? That meeting's been cancelled? We're going bankrupt? SO THE FUCK WHAT, BRING THE MOFO ON! I'M READY! YEEEEEEEAAAAOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Holy shit - I really gotta try this out one of these mornin's...)

• August 9, 2012 8:24 PM CDT
    • I used to think it was "Where the beer cans shine". Is'nt it "Real o - mind"?
       Believe it or not , I have an old 16  WITH THE LYRICS to "Down on The Street" and a pic of IG with his dog collar !
      gary gilmore said:

Huh!

Down on the street
      where the faces shine.
      floatin' around i'm
      a real low mind.

-just remembered listening to this on a neon yellow sony walkman on my way to this chic-who-never-ended-up-being-my-true-love house! hah!

• August 9, 2012 8:21 PM CDT
    • My favotite song to start out down the street with my ipod (I listen to tapes on my Walkman more often , if anything , these days.) is "I Don't Believe in Anything" by The Nevebreakers. Mainly because it's the first song of theirs that turns up , but , also , it's a good one to face the hordes out on the street with.... 

• August 9, 2012 7:05 PM CDT
    • Huh!

Down on the street
      where the faces shine.
      floatin' around i'm
      a real low mind.

• August 9, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
    • While I'm walking down the street? Usually it's whatever song is playing in my head at the time.

• August 10, 2012 1:51 AM CDT

• Will do!

KK Dirty Money & Las Drogas said:

Cool, this should be good and interesting. Keep us posted!

• August 10, 2012 1:51 AM CDT
    • *cracked me up here...*

+1 I can't get over Bob's "C'mon guys, let's ROLL! I'm peeing my pants here!" pose...

John Battles said:

His friends call him "Kid".

• August 9, 2012 8:37 PM CDT
    • Cool, this should be good and interesting. Keep us posted!

• August 9, 2012 8:34 PM CDT
    • His friends call him "Kid".

• August 9, 2012 4:54 AM CDT
    • Dunno if this is already old news for everyone, but since I couldn't find an existing topic for it, here goes:

In The Red Records Facebook announcement:
      "This new un-named band recorded a single this week at NY Hed studios. Mick Collins, Bob Bert and Kid Congo Powers. Sounds awesome!!"

The Great Uncles of Garage Rock! WIPPEEE! This should be sweeet...

• August 10, 2012 12:37 AM CDT
    • Glad you all liked it. Will keep looking for more gems like this and get them on here.

• August 9, 2012 3:03 PM CDT
    • I really enjoyed Mo Foster's book on his life in the music industry "Seventeen Watts". It's a sort of mixture of a collection of interviews, anecdotes and gear descriptions, about the early days of British Rock and Roll and Mo's career as a session bass player through the late sixties to the eighties.....it seems to have got stupidly expensive at the moment....hopefully it will get a reprint......

Seventeen Watts (Hardback)

• August 9, 2012 2:27 PM CDT
    • I really like The (International) Noise Conspiracy a lot. The Mainliners are pretty great too. Mando Dio's first couple of albums had a nice garage/punk feel.

• August 9, 2012 2:24 PM CDT
    • O and I forgot: another Geraldine album is mentioned "Abenteuer Eisenbahn". (All Music describes it's genre as: pop/rock, children's ??), but it's unclear to me if it was ever released.  Anybody out there who ownes it?

• August 9, 2012 9:36 AM CDT
    • In 2001 Geraldine from (as far as I know) Athens, Ohio, made a speedy, grungy blues punk masterpiece called "Pure Bastard Rock". After that: Nothing.

Does anybody know what happened to them?

• August 9, 2012 3:58 AM CDT
    • Man I wish they would announce some dates... It's been so long just Greg running circles around the subject in interviews etc. Of course Reigning Sound is also working on an album, so we'll see which will come out first. I interviewed Greg for the Finnish Webzine NRGM a couple of weeks a go. He only wanted to do it via email, so I'm still waiting to hear back from him. Man it would be cool if he would make some sorta announcement...

KILL A PUNK FOR ROCK'N'ROLL!!