Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 17, 2012 6:32 AM CDT
    • pussy riot?

• August 16, 2012 7:57 PM CDT
    • McRackins...don't like their records that much, but they're really great on stage...

okay, and last but not least...

THE NEANDERTHALS on 'Ghoul-A-Go-Go'

...plus the World Famous Pontani Sisters

• August 16, 2012 7:48 PM CDT
    • hehe, yep! close this one...

Alex said:

The Mummies.  End of discussion.

• August 16, 2012 8:55 PM CDT
    • I'm really big on walking around with my phone blasting music out of its little bitty Tart 'n' Tiny sized speaker. Under normal circumstances, i just let it play on Shuffle. However, if the weather or atmosphere suggests something specific, i play that instead...for instance, "Talk Talk Talk" by the PSYCHEDELIC FURS is good if you're walking by the river at night, but not as good if you're walking to get ice cream at Noon. 20/20 is good if it's damp out; "Where It's At With The Wind" works well in late afternoon. The DREAM SYNDICATE are good if it's Fall, and MICK FARREN & THE DEVIANTS "Screwed Up" is particularly excellent if you are by the river and it's dark AND you're all fucked up. Otherwise, as i said, shuffle play.

• August 16, 2012 7:33 PM CDT
    • Velvets are okay for me, but not 'on the road'...hate Pere Ubu (hehe...), love THE RAMONES, THEE HEADCOATS and Phil's Girl Groups seem to be okay, too...as you mentioned, it depends on one'S mood a lot, of course...

Elliot Smoke said:

I tend to enjoy Velvet Underground, Pere Ubu, Ramones, Soft Boys, Headcoats and 50s Spector-ish girl groups on my perambulations. Depends on my mood.

• August 16, 2012 7:16 PM CDT
    • some more stuff I like...

DC SNIPERS - I Want Some Knives

DC SNIPERS - All Humans Are Garbage

THE PERSUADERS - My Life My Way

• August 16, 2012 7:11 PM CDT

• yeah, CHEATER SLICKS!!!
      Sir Coyler said:

"WALK UP THE STREET" - CHEATER SLICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 16, 2012 7:08 PM CDT
    • yep! no introduction needed...

peskypesky said:

Ramones

Stooges

• August 16, 2012 7:07 PM CDT
    • hehe, like this song a lot, still love the Turks' version a lot more than the original, anyway, great explanation, maybe everyone should listen to it before going to work...

ixnayray said:

Mr. Suit by The New Bomb Turks. It makes me feel like a total badass. Then I arrive at work and get bossed around all day.

• August 16, 2012 7:02 PM CDT
    • yep, great album to listen to, especially when on the way to yer loved one, i guess...

Mark George Harrison said:

When my other half lived in London my favourite album for getting from Kings Cross to where she lived was The Monks 'Black monk time', perfect for pushing through a crowded London on a Friday afternoon!

• August 16, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
    • sorry, no clue 'bout this one...really dig rockabilly a lot but I'm not an expert at all...

Last Night said:

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profiles/blogs/radioblivion-no70-the-end

What is the first song in the intro ???

Last Night said:

Which make me think about the first song in the Radioblivion intro i can't figured it out, it goes "Wild Street, Wild Street, I'm just born on a Wild Street", i guess it's a psycho band...

any idea?

• August 16, 2012 6:59 PM CDT
    • hehe, great taste. man...

Jarkko Immonen said:

Aaah, life and the places it takes us...

gary gilmore said:

-just remembered listening to this on a neon yellow sony walkman on my way to this chic-who-never-ended-up-being-my-true-love house! hah!

Anyhow, I found myself pondering this question A LOT this morning, trying to come up with the perfect playlist song-by-song. I came to the conclusion that there are several variables to be taken into account - whether it's a brisk sunny morning and you're on your way to the gym or the beach, a grey afternoon and you're stuck in the after work traffic, of if it's a cool evening stroll, destination unknown. To me, the answer would be drastically different on each occasion.

But, based on the commute this morning (it was a bit chilly but sunny outside), I would have to say that in the ideal situation I would've:

- started off with some good ole 70s/80s power pop, as that tender, not-quite-awake-yet state of being calls for some sweet, up-beat melodies (btw, I consider it important not to put the music on before stepping out of the door, but preferably just as you breath in the first of the fresh morning air):

POINTED STICKS - PART OF THE NOISE

THE RUBINOOS - I WANNA BE YOUR BOYFRIEND

THE LIMIT - UH OH

- then, around the time I got on the bus, feeling energized and positive, I'd crank it up a notch, and the person sitting next to me would just have to deal with my lip-syncin'-head-boppin'-eyes-closed demeanor:

RADIO BIRDMAN - MURDER CITY NIGHTS

THE KIDS - THIS IS ROCK 'N ROLL

PAGANS - WHAT'S THIS SHIT CALLED LOVE?

SWEATMASTER - ANIMAL

- finally, getting off the bus and taking the short walk to the office, I would pull out all guns and yank my neck like crazy with my fists in the air, parading my armpits to everyone present:

TEENGENERATE - DRESSED IN BLACK

THE REATARDS - TEENAGE HATE

OBLIVIANS - CHRISTINA

Then, when I got to work I'd be like "What? Those stats don't add up? That meeting's been cancelled? We're going bankrupt? SO THE FUCK WHAT, BRING THE MOFO ON! I'M READY! YEEEEEEEAAAAOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Holy shit - I really gotta try this out one of these mornin's...)

• August 16, 2012 6:58 PM CDT
    • hehe, remembering the good ole' walkman-days, great choice i think...

John Battles said:

My favotite song to start out down the street with my ipod (I listen to tapes on my Walkman more often , if anything , these days.) is "I Don't Believe in Anything" by The Nevebreakers. Mainly because it's the first song of theirs that turns up , but , also , it's a good one to face the hordes out on the street with.... 

• August 16, 2012 11:18 AM CDT
    • "WALK UP THE STREET" - CHEATER SLICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 16, 2012 10:24 AM CDT
    • Ramones

Stooges

• August 16, 2012 4:42 PM CDT
    • The Astronauts - Surf Party b/w Kuk

• August 16, 2012 1:30 PM CDT
    • Hi!

Try Sonic Negroes and Stupidity.  /Erniz

• August 16, 2012 11:14 AM CDT
    • They're Swedish. And great.

Myke Damage said:

The Maggots are good but not 100% sure they are from Sweden...can't go wrong with The Nomads though.

• August 16, 2012 1:24 PM CDT
    • The Wylde Mammoths had a great and really authentic mid 60's teen garage sound.

• August 16, 2012 11:13 AM CDT
    • Lust for Rust is so freakin good. We have signed with Deep Eddy Records, which is the same label that put out LFR, and the owner sent me the CD. I hope to meet up with these guys at some point.

Joey Fuckup said:

As a genre I love, it's hard for me to say who my faves are, although I do lean strongly towards the Bomboras, Phantom Surfers, the Trashwomen, the Boardwalkers, Royal Knightmares, the Fathoms, and many other of the big names that's already mentioned here. Two bands that aren't surf, but has done killer surf instros that I dig, are Southern Culture On the Skids and the Boss Martians.

Two lesser-known bands I'd like to plug here are:

The D-Rays out of Athens, OH. They're a nice 3-piece that I came across on Facebook who I've played on "40 Oz. Nonsense". I think they've got a couple of releases under their belt now, and you can hear a cool cover of the Ramones' "Cretin Hop" on their ep "Landlocked In Athens".

Find 'em on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/theDRays

They're also right here on the Hideout: http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/TheDRays

Keep up with 'em on their blog, too: http://draysathens.wordpress.com/

The other band is the Surf Zombies from Cedar Rapids who I came across a couple of years ago. They've released three albums, and their style ranges from not only basic surf, but to the spooky surf and rockabilly-sounding instros. Their latest album "Lust For Rust" has them pushing more towards a "hot rod" sound, but still impressive, IMHO. Their only "website" is their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/surfzombiesband

• August 16, 2012 10:39 AM CDT
    • We are hopping to participate this year!  At least in some form...even if I play hooked up to a generator in some alley!