Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 13, 2012 9:05 AM CST
    • Listen to the Feb 12th Show here! 

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120212-0030-t1329006600.mp3

The setlist!

WANDA JACKSON  TUNNEL OF LOVE 
      MOHAMMED RAFI  JAAN PEHCHAAN HO 
      THE CENTURIONS  INTOXICA 
      APRIL MARCH & THE MAKERS  BUST OUT 
      THE HOOK UP  MINSTREL BOY 
      THE FABULOUS WAILERS  DIRTY ROBBER 
      JOEY RAMONE  WONDERFUL WORLD 
      THE BIRDS  LEAVING HERE 
      THE PLUGZ  HOMBRE SECRETO 

O BANDO  E ASSIM FALAVA MEPHISTOFELES 
      MOONEY SUZUKI  SINGING A SONG ABOUT TODAY 
      MAKE UP  LIVE IN THE RHYTHM WIRE 
      THE OBLIVIANS W/ MR. QUINTRON  MARY LOU 
      HIP BONE SLIM & THE KNEE TREMBLERS  SNAKE PIT 
      THE BARRACUDAS I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE REALLY MINE 
      THE ROLLING STONES  EMPTY HEART 
      THE BUZZCOCKS  LOVE YOU MORE 
      NEW YORK DOLLS  LOOKING FOR A KISS 
      THE SHOUTING CLUB  WITH MY LOVE 
      THE COME ONS  IT'S ALRIGHT 
      DIONNE WARWICK  DON'T MAKE ME OVER 
      MARSHMALLOW OVERCOAT  OUR LOVE WILL SURVIVE 
      REASONS WHY  ALL I REALLY NEED IS LOVE 
      THE OUTSIDERS  SHE'S COMING ON STRONGER 

• February 13, 2012 8:52 AM CST
    • I think that what pisses off people about the beatles most of the time is that 'middle class' pretention into which they evolved with psychedelic experimentations and stuff. It's not about the music in itself. They kind of turned the primitive and spontaneous aspect of rock'n'roll into something more pretentious.  Like Lenon staying in bed with Yoko for a week in order to protest for peace. I mean what the fuck. rock'n'roll has always been ambiguous about what it meant by 'revolution and rebellion' but I don't think it was made to stake that kind of stupid claim.

• February 12, 2012 7:14 AM CST
    • Well I don't go to any specifically garage punk festivals (not that I don't want to) and was wondering if a similar problem happens with the Beatles at those places ie. there always needs to be a Beatles type band because that's what's cool at the moment.

Having said that though I wonder if the Beatles have a sound specific enough for a band to be playing as a Beatles influenced band rather than just a British invasion influenced band. So ignore the question it's a bit dumb.

melissa scott said:

Hey Mike: What I took away from the Record Detective's reply (and others') to the thread is that even discussing Britpop, or charts, or the Beatles doesn't belong at the GPH. There are plenty of other sites to do just that.

Your point about the in-escape-ability of influence runs right up against the above-mentioned sentiment.

Can you clarify your last paragraph? I don't follow...

• February 12, 2012 7:08 AM CST
    • After nearly having a memorabilia overdose every time I go into any tourist shop in London I try my best to avoid their music. I can never visit Liverpool for fear of total overkill of nostalgic nick nacks.

• February 12, 2012 6:45 AM CST
    • Hey Mike: What I took away from the Record Detective's reply (and others') to the thread is that even discussing Britpop, or charts, or the Beatles doesn't belong at the GPH. There are plenty of other sites to do just that.

Your point about the in-escape-ability of influence runs right up against the above-mentioned sentiment.

Can you clarify your last paragraph? I don't follow...

• February 12, 2012 6:03 AM CST
    • I have to say that cuts both ways as they have inspired some real shit (as have all the big ones) and although the most logical response would be only listen to the good stuff and not the bad it can sometimes be a bit tricky. It seems British popular culture is set on an 8 or 10 year timer where every decade there's a British invasion/ Britpop resurgence and the charts get completly dominated by "Beatles fans".

Like I said it surely can't be too hard just to avoid this stuff and really it isn't well I noticed a weird phenomenon here in Europe a year or 2 ago with this "Irish punk" crap. For about 2 years every little rock festival has some Dropkick Murpheys type band playing songs that I find hard to work out whether they are more insulting to English or Irish people.

To get this back on topic, would this sound similar to garage based festivals with the Beatles? I have to ask as I generally go to more punk/hardcore and general rock fests.

dying slowly said:

conversley the amount of garage bands they inpired must earn them a few brownie points (the knickerbocker for example) also the fact they populerised the concept of poppy groups wrighting there own tunes and also the musical magpie nature of the group means it is near immpossible to not like one beatle song.

I for one will always have a soft spot for them as they where the band that got me into music and inspired nearly everyone one way or another

• February 12, 2012 5:40 AM CST
    • i think a lot of people here may find the beatles too melodic, also the whole cutsey image could be considerd contrieved and overtly comercial for fans of raw anti commercial RnR. Also some people may consider them unoriginal, al the things they popularised (asian music ,psychedelia ,RnR with pop harmonys etc) had alredy been donethats how they where relevent for nearly 8 years.

conversley the amount of garage bands they inpired must earn them a few brownie points (the knickerbocker for example) also the fact they populerised the concept of poppy groups wrighting there own tunes and also the musical magpie nature of the group means it is near immpossible to not like one beatle song.

I for one will always have a soft spot for them as they where the band that got me into music and inspired nearly everyone one way or another

• February 12, 2012 4:30 AM CST
    • Hey RD -- no need to apologise at all.

You said: Garage punk and the Beatles don't belong on the same page"

I was making an observation based on what people have been posting on this thread, not a personal opinion statement. I never said it did. I DID say I don't 'hate' the Beatles. Don't care one way or t'other.

But I will defend the right for someone to think so if they choose, even if I don't agree.

Sick and tired of discussions of old masters? Hey as long as being 'un-reasonable' generates some kickass new music, I'm all for it.

cheers, mel

the Record Detective said:

My apologies to melissa scott, but the time for being reasonable is long past. Garage punk and the beatles don't belong on the same page, nor the same chapter. I for one am sick and tired of the hideous putrid drivel. Sure there were moments of brilliances (spelling), but the beatles are long dead. Go to a mccartney or starr show and you can say i've seen a living beatle, but that's not the same. It was John Lennon who said "Why call it rock and roll? When you could call it chuck berry?" (paraphrase) (sorry)

• February 11, 2012 9:10 PM CST
    • My apologies to melissa scott, but the time for being reasonable is long past. Garage punk and the beatles don't belong on the same page, nor the same chapter. I for one am sick and tired of the hideous putrid drivel. Sure there were moments of brilliances (spelling), but the beatles are long dead. Go to a mccartney or starr show and you can say i've seen a living beatle, but that's not the same. It was John Lennon who said "Why call it rock and roll? When you could call it chuck berry?" (paraphrase) (sorry)

• February 13, 2012 8:30 AM CST
    • I'm serious try the Modtone mini Fuzzer. It's Grrrrrrreat! I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on it. It's solid, affordable and tasty!

• February 13, 2012 4:37 AM CST
    • what do you guys think about the boss fz-5's maestro patch, it any good? worth the 90 quid and disgusting 'boost' concept (and the shame of having a digital pedal)

• February 13, 2012 3:17 AM CST
    • Has to be a bit boulshy and not over the top country

• February 12, 2012 9:22 PM CST
    •  Then there's "Teenage Lust" by The MC5 . I'd say it would'nt offend , today , but people are more easily offended NOW than in the 60's and 70's . It had to be one of the earliest songs on a major label to say "Bitch" more than once , barring "Stupid Girl" (Also believed to be politically incorrect.)by The Rolling Stones. When I interviewed Wayne Kramer , I pointed out how there was a "Clean" version of the song , that went , instead of "Come on , bitch , you got to get down", "Come on , GIRL , you got to get down.". Kramer said he was'nt even aware there were two versions.

• February 12, 2012 8:03 PM CST
    • Can't wait, luv the Boss Martians!!

• February 12, 2012 2:26 PM CST
    • So glad to hear this!!! I like both of the Boss Martians' sounds, but I REALLY (sorry John) dug their first album. Spot-on classic surf, and I love the organ sound on that record. I will DEFINITELY be buying the best of CD! I already have all this stuff... but who cares. Can't wait to hear where they're playing, 'cause i will travel to see this show, if need be. 

• February 11, 2012 5:26 PM CST
    • Their "new sound" was originally a side-project of the band called The Mystery Action. I still have a copy of The Mystery Action CD on MuSick, and it's exactly the same kind of style that the BMs changed to (I think it was even the same band members if I remember correctly). I guess Evan didn't like the idea of having two separate bands going at once, because he ditched the whole Mystery Action idea and just incorporated that sound into the BMs. Not sure why he decided to do that... I think, if he wanted to change styles like that, he should've kept going as The Mystery Action and dropped the more surf'n'drag/garage-sounding "Boss Martians" name instead, but that isn't obviously what happened. Go figure.

• February 12, 2012 1:59 PM CST
    • New Oblivians... I'm in!!! "Hot Pockets" gone off of GP.com... I'm in!!!

• February 12, 2012 8:39 AM CST
    • I used to work for Radical Records. They put out a bunch of ska punk in the late 90's like Inspector 7, which was cool cause they used an organ and had a really dark sound. Radical also released a series called Oi/Skampilation which might be worth checking out if your into this kinda stuff. In my opinion the newer ska gets the suckier it gets but I have seen some interesting bands like World/Inferno Friendship Society and Tri-state Conspiracy. As for Japanese bands worth checking out, try Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra... after that there are a plethora of bands doing the ska-punk thing after the American third wave. Oi-Skall Mates would be the best bet for anyone interested in garage.

• February 12, 2012 8:25 AM CST
    • Stockholm, Sweden

• February 12, 2012 8:13 AM CST
    • Nice performance. I dig the soulful sound. I should have mentioned before that all the Japanese bands on my list go back to the 60's mod era albeit with a heavy garage edge. Come to think of it there aren't many 70's style revivalists, powerpop kinda punk is big now but nothing really happening with the mods revival sound.

I was out shopping for records today and picked up Pebbles Vol. 6 , with the sub-title "The Roots of Mod" and it's a great comp of early British group sounds. Another comp I still keep with me is a CD a got years ago called "Untamed & Innocent" with The Sorrows, The Untamed, The Thoughts & The Loot.

The Reply said:

Not a lot of 60's mod bands around these days that I'm aware of...(besides ourselves!). Love to hear from others that don't peg their sound to late 70's revival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxc7q6CfT3w&feature=related

• February 11, 2012 11:38 PM CST
    • Hey , Mole . You probably won't remember me , but , I saw The Embrooks once in New York and twice in Chicago , and hung out with the lot of yez. You sounded great. Hope you've been all right. John.

Mole said:

Thank you that man!

kopper said:

THE EMBROOKS

• February 11, 2012 11:49 PM CST
    • They're all great , I don't think you can go wrong....I love that song "Listen Girl" - "I'll shoot YEW in tha HEAD ! You better listen, girl !"...