Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 13, 2011 11:16 PM CST
    • Pat , did you just leave this message ? It reads like you did . I could be mistaken , my apologies if I am. Tonight (Sunday) is the last night. My friend told me you could'nt get tickets for love or money , if you just showed up on the street , but that a couple of people got in on one , but not all four , nights after some heavy hustling. It was that way  for that OTHER festival....

John Battles said:

It's the same all over. I saw The Cynics last week with about 35 people , and The Fleshtones , several months ago , to maybe fewer , still. The Woggles do OK when they're here , but they have'nt been in several years. In the 90's , when the economy was better , and there was a band boom , I bought way more new records than I needed. Some of the new "Garage" bands I only really needed to listen to once or twice , and then move on. Whereas , I first saw The Fleshtones in '84 , and The Cynics in '87 or early '88. They still bring the rock (Super Rock !), so , I'll still go see 'em....I can tell the hipsters , my Garage Rock is still alive , sorry about yours.

Rinjo Njori said:

This is NYC and Garage Rock shows for the big boys (Dirtbombs, Gories, Black LIps, etc. ) fill places like the Bowery, but bands like The Woggles, Fleshtones,etc. can barely fill a 100 person venue. Reigning Sound played at the Bell House but I missed the show.
      The Bellhouse is great, not too big and not too small. It's rectangluar, but the stage is on the long side so no matter where you stand your pretty close to the stage. I would guess there will be more out of towners than actual New Yorkers.

Pat said:

Does anyone knows how many tickets are available ?? is the venue big enough ??

i 'll try to figure how to get there, i've just come back from NY two weeks ago !!!!

• November 13, 2011 11:08 PM CST
    • It's the same all over. I saw The Cynics last week with about 35 people , and The Fleshtones , several months ago , to maybe fewer , still. The Woggles do OK when they're here , but they have'nt been in several years. In the 90's , when the economy was better , and there was a band boom , I bought way more new records than I needed. Some of the new "Garage" bands I only really needed to listen to once or twice , and then move on. Whereas , I first saw The Fleshtones in '84 , and The Cynics in '87 or early '88. They still bring the rock (Super Rock !), so , I'll still go see 'em....I can tell the hipsters , my Garage Rock is still alive , sorry about yours.

Rinjo Njori said:

This is NYC and Garage Rock shows for the big boys (Dirtbombs, Gories, Black LIps, etc. ) fill places like the Bowery, but bands like The Woggles, Fleshtones,etc. can barely fill a 100 person venue. Reigning Sound played at the Bell House but I missed the show.
      The Bellhouse is great, not too big and not too small. It's rectangluar, but the stage is on the long side so no matter where you stand your pretty close to the stage. I would guess there will be more out of towners than actual New Yorkers.

Pat said:

Does anyone knows how many tickets are available ?? is the venue big enough ??

i 'll try to figure how to get there, i've just come back from NY two weeks ago !!!!

• November 13, 2011 2:10 PM CST
    • "My wife , all she's - a wanna think about is MAMBO ! She's - a  move her body like - a this , and like - a THIS. She CRAZY."....

• November 13, 2011 9:31 AM CST
    • Phenominal! Congrats to Norton, Cramden, and Mr. Manicotti! Long Live Billy & Miriam!

• November 13, 2011 10:52 PM CST
    • There was a Surf Zombies in Chicago , who played their last gigs less than 10 years ago , but , they were'nt Horror - themed , and did'nt own the name outright.
      On an unrelated note , the Chicago Mystery Girls played out for almost 10 years. The name has been passed around for years , but it should been retired with them..... 
      John Clemens said:

Well, yes I do.....check out The Surf Zombies.

http://www.reverbnation.com/su rfzombies

and

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Surf-Zombies/137335488149

You won't be disappointed.

• November 13, 2011 10:48 PM CST
    • He was . In fact , The Damned shared bills with Sutch , and , early on , carried his coffin on stage. If you've ever seen the "Blood on The Cats " , I think it is (W/ Meteors , Sting Rays , Milkshakes , Jazz Butcher , etc.) video , there's A little footage of Sensible and Sutch onstage , together. 

Dennis Guthrie said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dave Vanian, of The Damned was a fan of Screaming Lord Sutch.

DammitDave said:
      Don't forget Screaming Lord Sutch!

• November 13, 2011 10:41 PM CST
    • That is SUCH a great film....We , in the states , had to rely on piss - poor , washed out LP or even SLP speed VHS tape copies , because the movie was in the Public Domain (Which I support , but , it also means you can get real crap , even if you did'nt pay very much for it...). It took forever to see a proper video release , and , only , recently , on DVD , here....

Any of you guys like the early 70's Hammer , Tigon and Amicus "Hip" Horror , and can envision it crossed with Badass British Bikers , the strangely - named "Psychomania" (It's about Bikers who learn how to come back from the dead , with unlimited supernatural powers , NOT A madhouse epic.) . Our own "Werewolves on Wheels" pales in comparison , but , it's good for a laugh.

amoebaboy said:

i would like to contribute with this cult brit biker flick from the seventies.

great theme tune 

http://youtu.be/vhsSSQgy9nQ

• November 13, 2011 9:03 PM CST
    • Mother of god... that would have been an awesome show to play! I envy your incredible luck, and not so much your misfortune :(

The Ultimatemost High said:

We were supposed to play with these guys in Toronto a while back but we took a different offer for that night.  MISTAKE.  Just heard their album, ‘GB City’.  ROX!!!!

• November 13, 2011 2:45 PM CST
    • We were supposed to play with these guys in Toronto a while back but we took a different offer for that night.  MISTAKE.  Just heard their album, ‘GB City’.  ROX!!!!

• November 13, 2011 7:06 PM CST
    • If you just see one word , it's because my manifesto was 'ET (Willie the Groundskeeper voice.) , in which case , I'll have to do it all over.....(Anyone here see "Stripes" ? SON OF BITCH....SHIT !)

John Battles said:

Saving…

• November 13, 2011 6:48 PM CST
    • I was pretty unhappy when Tower went under. It was too expensive but it DID have Zeke stocked, good three chord punk music, real music, the staff gave a crap about an excellent selection range but £15 for a Zeke album on cd is taking the piss. 

Music on cds has either been too expensive or too cheap. Now rights in the industry have moved digital. I have an I-Pod but the battery life is crap. I fall asleep listening to my music and the next thing I know is the battery has drained.

I don't appreciate how people have been conned with MP3's; only a few musicians I hang out with tell me how poor its quality is. I used several trading sites and all are anti-lossy.

Next year I will be buying a digital solution for my vinyl to preserve it. I want to keep it all safe and on display. I am still waiting for better audio solutions for playback than I-Tunes. Foobar is fantastic but lacks the artwork.

I really miss the Walkman.

• November 13, 2011 6:38 PM CST
    •  Well , it's a LOT to take in....If I had heard this news about 20 - 25 years ago , I'd be jumping for joy. When CDs came in , I did'nt oppose them , per se , until people were so willing to give up on LPs , entirely , without a fight. I did'nt have a CD player until about 1992 (And I got it at a yard sale !) , but , by then , I accepted it as just another medium , one that had it's pros , as well ax it's cons. It did'nt drastically affect my purchasing vinyl , or even cassettes. But , in time , I got used to it , and stopped trying to fight it (However, I still buy more records than CDs , today.). What I did'nt like then , or now , is being told we don't have freedom of choice. I generally don't bother with MP3s. I have had an ipod for several years (Won it in a costume contest at a Los Straitjackets show. Otherwise , I probably would'nt have one.) , I guess , like almost everybody , but , I've generally burned , transferred , whatever , tracks that friends have sent me , or on friends' bands' websites. Otherwise, I just have CDs that I put there ..... I'm not a slave to my ipod. In fact , I'm kind of tired of it. I take it with me , when I go out , once in a while , but , lately , if I'm walking or taking the train , I'll bring something to read (And usually be the only person with an actual book or magazine on the bus or train. I LIKE the internet , but , I use it about a 1/3RD AS MUCH AS THE AVERAGE JOE , AND I'M STILL TRYING TO CUT BACK.....The thought of no REAL books , magazines or newspapers makes me want to vomit , but , people should have access to what they prefer.) , or , I'll take my Walkman and a few cassettes. Yes.   What the Hell , I still have 'em . A Duracell AA battery lasts for weeks , sometimes months. My freshly charged Ipod might survive two hours. Also , I'm less likely to get pushed down a flight of stairs in the train station for a Walkman , or just have my earphones yanked off , and the tape player taken out of my hands , by force  . I don't know if these things are happening to Ipod owners in Omaha . They're happening here.   Someone asked about 8 Tracks , I had 'em , we all had 'em in the 70's and very early 80's ( I still used 'em , because they were selling for 50 cents at a time when Michael Jackson , inexplicably , sold Billions with an effort so bland , even Vincent Price could'nt save it from it's own plasticity. Also , I was in college , and did'nt have a big music budget.) ..... I still have some 8 Tracks , now. Why ? Because they're hilarious !

Anyway , I've been hearing and reading about vinyl , and even cassettes , making a comeback . Maybe not a HUGE one , but enough to keep some stores in business , and even some new stores , purveying a medium that was pronounced dead before The MP3 was even introduced. But , the irony is , it's the independents that are keeping this stuff going , and even seeing a profit , more recently (Not all of them , of course.). The idea of a mainstream record and/or CD store , well , I can't name one , can you guys ?

Special edition CDs , special packaging , that's cool , but that's something the industry shouldhave considered 15 years ago , or so. I got suckered in by a special packaging of the new Motorhead CD , with a hardbound , booklike cover , a Mojo or Uncut size magazine , a two - sided poster , and a metal Motorhead pin , for about 6 or 7 dollars more than the CD in a plain plastic jewelcase , and maybe two , three pages of liners . I thought it was pretty damn sweet , but , I could have , should have , seen the same thing when Grunge  was still "King" . Of course , there's the simple fact that these changes stand to put small businesses , as well as major corporations , out of business.   I was'nt happy when Tower Records went tis - up , but , I'm more concerned about local small business. Not because I'm a goddamned tree - hugger, but , because music sounds better that way.

• November 13, 2011 9:35 AM CST
    • Although time rarely allows me to sit in front of a stereo and appreciate music uninterrupted these days, vinyl is still king here.

CD’s provide excellent sound quality, durability, and portability, which made them a perfect alternative to the cassette.  Admittedly, most of my CD’s are ripped to itunes and loaded onto my ipod so I can listen to them in transit where – sadly - I spend a great bulk of each day. 

CD Deluxe Edition’s are pretty awesome because they include single tracks that are long out of print and unreleased recordings. I have an edition of the Who’s ‘Live at Leeds’ that includes a coffee table book.  That makes for a pretty cool set.  I also like those BEAR FAMILY “complete recordings” box sets a lot.  A collection of 5-11 CD’s worth of music on vinyl would be unmanageable and costly.

I can’t imagine paying for an MP3.  For me, they are exclusively to sample new music or a last resort when the music isn’t available on either vinyl or CD.  

• November 13, 2011 2:12 PM CST
    • Rob Van Leeuwen (Shocking Blue)! Hell , yeah.    I like that one , who's it by , "Listen Girl" , on "Teenage Shutdown" , the singer , trying to sound like Van Morrisson , says "I'll shoot YEW in the HEAD !!!".....

Jonclock said:

The Motions: For Another Man    (Nuggets II)

• November 13, 2011 12:25 PM CST
    • Hi,

Actually you will probably be able to find someone who does 100% analog if you look for it.

Ask the guys who do the mastering/writing on the lathe - they're the guys who really do your vinyl mastering and if the guy knows what he's talking about he'll be able to use a stereo 1/4 inch machine that goes straight onto your vinyl from your own master tape (the guy I work with unfortunately for you is in Paris but he knows how to do it and has since the 60's).

I recorded last week-end with a Tascam TSR-8 which is a more modern machine than yours but it works great just the same. I'll mix down going through a standard mixing deck using auxed out spring-reverbs, boosts and tube preamps in the inserts and master straight into to a revox A77.

Make sure you boost your input signal on the TEAC and use those nefty saturations that the stereo deck plays you - that's where you're mastering.

Regarding the speed, for a stereo you're on a standard with 7 1/2 so no worries. The idea is that the speed increases the quality because you're writing on a wider area of tape. So a 1/4 stereo @ 7 1/2 IPS is the same quality as an 8 track 1/2 inch @ 15 IPS (add it up, you'll see it works...).

Any mastering studio today (unless you're in with the rare guys who still do it) will use digital. So you want to master yourself really. Your mastering is actually on the stereo 1/4 inch and the pre-amps take all the peak signals in (doesn't work on digital and you have to cut stuff out to get it to sound right). Hence the advantage of mastering yourself on that sweet stereo deck of yours.

Once you're on a 1/4 inch tape, then you can stick it into a soundcard if you want the digital version and - wohay - it's already mastered.

• November 13, 2011 12:23 PM CST
    • The HD-P2 is probably a useful machine (check out SoundOnSound for review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/articles/tascamhdp2.htm... SoS is a great resource for sound engineering – use it!), but (unless you plan on sending the final mix on the HD-P2's Compact Flash card) if you want the mix on a CD, you still need to transfer your mix files to a computer (via Firewire or a card-reader), which in turn entails some sort of audio software... Not necessarily a DAW (I'm a Mac user, and as an example their included iTunes software would be sufficient to create a digital file), but for the mastering stage, this software should allow 24bits.  Maybe something like Audacity?.. http://download.cnet.com/Audacity/3000-2170_4-10058117.html

To get the most for my money, I always try to figure out exactly what features I need, or don't need in a piece of equipment, so in this case you should ask yourself if you want to pay for the portability and the ability to record to a CFlash card – great features for live recording, but superfluous if you're just buying the HD-P2 for AD conversion.

So; if you already have an adequate computer, your money might be better spent on an audio interface (needed for the AD conversion) with a couple preamps/channels, and a DAW.  This will give you added editing possibilities, and also provide an entry into the world of digital multitracking.  Incidentally, most interfaces will come packaged with software. 

DAW simply refers to software designed for recording and editing audio... http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-15-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905

Don't think you need to worry about the mysteries of AD as long as you get yourself aquality audio interface... : http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

(e)

Ryan Thomas LeGere said:

I figure I'll invest in something that will make my life a little easier after the recording stage. A digital mixdown option is sounding like a better option than the 2 track machine Then I can just throw the songs on Cd and send it over to the mastering house.

dubiE: Is there anything I should know about A/D converters? I hear that you need a good conversion to take place when transfering between "mediums." To me, the concepts of bits and sampling rates make sense but are a little alien because I never had to worry about them 'til now.

I'm looking at the the Tasam HD-P2 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDP2/?utm_source=Google&...

What do you think? Overboard? Also, what is DAW exactly? I just associate it with digital audio but don't have a clear definition.

• November 12, 2011 3:13 PM CST
    • I figure I'll invest in something that will make my life a little easier after the recording stage. A digital mixdown option is sounding like a better option than the 2 track machine Then I can just throw the songs on Cd and send it over to the mastering house.

dubiE: Is there anything I should know about A/D converters? I hear that you need a good conversion to take place when transfering between "mediums." To me, the concepts of bits and sampling rates make sense but are a little alien because I never had to worry about them 'til now.

I'm looking at the the Tasam HD-P2 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDP2/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=recording&utm_term=tascam_hd-p2&adpos=1t1&gclid=COjPk_2AsqwCFYbrKgodinIXIw

What do you think? Overboard? Also, what is DAW exactly? I just associate it with digital audio but don't have a clear definition.

• November 12, 2011 9:15 AM CST
    • Yeah – try a mixdown to your 7.5 ips Teac... it might be perfectly adequate for your needs.  If not, you'll still have your 8-track takes.

Still, you might want to consider some sort of future solution for transfer to the digital domain... these days I'm not sure if you can get around that, even if you're planning a vinyl release (released a 7" in the late 90's, and even then the record plant preferred a master on DAT).

(e)

Ryan Thomas LeGere said:

7.5 IPS is alright but I'd like to get as good a sound as possible. Maybe I should go for it, huh? At least experiment before throwing down on something I might not even need?

dublÉ said:

Sorry, missed your reply, and was unsuccessful at editing my own... 15 ips is fine, and actually some engineers preferred/prefer 15 over 30, for supposed better low-end response.

And yes, 7.5 sounds a bit scant... transfer to digital (24 bit) will be fine.

dublÉ said:

Currently have a Mac-based 16-track ProTools rig, but worked on a 15 ips (/7.5) 16-track 1/2" Tascam (msr16) in the nineties, and still have my old 8-track Tascam 688 (compact-cassette format!) which apparently runs 13 3/4 ips... both worked and sounded great at those particular speeds.  Are you talking lower speeds than this?..

• November 12, 2011 3:54 PM CST
    • As for print, there's always Ugly Things...

• November 12, 2011 10:45 AM CST
    • Homer (Phil Bennison) goes way back to the tail end of the Ft. Worth Teen Scene , and into the early Psych/Hard Rock days....He played in the early Teddy and The Tall Tops lineup (With Jim Heath - Rev. Horton Heat.) in the Early 80's. They were the first band I ever saw with my own  ID , but I only caught two songs  : ( .  I saw him a few years ago , with his Blues shuffle band , on a bill with Ray Sharpe. GOOD times. I've seen his one man band a couple of times , too. He claims that all you can do , in his position , is Bo Diddley and Jimmy Reed , then proves himself wrong with his versatility. He killed at last year's Ponderosa Stomp , on his own , and with Eve and The Exiles.

Alex th' Kidd said:

Homer Henderson

Atom & his package