Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 11, 2011 1:29 PM CST
    • I dunno if Canned Heat could be classified as "biker rock", but the Oakland Angels left their "APPROVED BY THE HELL'S ANGELS" logo on the band's albums :):):):):)

• November 11, 2011 1:25 PM CST
    • RIP MARISKA VERES::(:(:(:(

Bry Nylon said:

try this one by - shocking blue - harley davidson

• November 11, 2011 12:51 PM CST
    • ....My new favorite one man band is Jerry Van Dyke as the "Sultan's Favorite" Exotic Dancer's

backing musician , with a speech impediment and confidence issues , who's a hero in the end , on "The Andy Griffith Show".

• November 11, 2011 1:12 AM CST
    • Thank you for this awesome post.

ixnayray said:

George Formby is the fucking maaaaaan...

• November 11, 2011 1:07 AM CST
    • Homer Henderson

Atom & his package

• November 11, 2011 12:46 PM CST
    • ...Or even "No Reason To Complain" by The Alarm Clock (Last night's performance of it is viewable on the Norton Records thread.). Even when sung by a snotty lil' teenage Punk , the message of reluctant resignation to his own percieved disposability is clear , and the anger , betrayal and hurt come to a boil , diffused only somewhat with a loner's acceptance.

• November 11, 2011 8:43 AM CST
    • The Poets were the masters of mood!! Check out 'I Love Her Still', beautiful chiming riff, utterly mizzog - perfect! Or the [originally] unreleased 'I'll Keep My Pride', another 'razor blade and hot bath' epic!

• November 11, 2011 8:37 AM CST
    • 'Sad How Love Fades Away' Paul Messis. Dig the abject misery and resignation in Paul's voice when he sighs just before the organ solo - UTTER GENIUS!!

• November 11, 2011 12:37 PM CST
    • Alarm Clocks , Garage Kings.  There's more than white socks and Cheez - Whip in Parma (PARMA ?!!).

• November 11, 2011 12:24 PM CST
    • thank you!

• November 11, 2011 12:13 PM CST
    • Show #349: "The Eggman Collection #105"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 105th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: International Harvester, Paladin, Duncan Browne, Lard Free, Kuni Kawachi & The Flower Travellin' Band, Donovan, Tin Tin, Mark Wirtz, Missus Beastly, MC5, The Merry-Go-Round, Kansas, Christie, Tractor, Sopwith Camel, The Knickerbockers, Lazy Smoke, String & The Beans, Kraftwerk and many many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• November 11, 2011 10:19 AM CST
    • I saw them open for Best Coast along side Bleached and I was blown away. I was getting awesome flashbacks of Jay Reatard listening to these two. Would love to see them live again!

• November 11, 2011 6:50 AM CST
    • GB City is one of my favorites of the past year.  Great LP.  Get it if you don't have it.

• November 11, 2011 4:27 AM CST
    • Cool, we're going to support them here in Tübingen/Germany in two weeks. I've never heard of them before, but I'm really looking forward to it! I checked their myspace page and really liked what I heard.

• November 11, 2011 10:12 AM CST
    • what do you mean by "low on the IPS"?

• November 11, 2011 8:11 AM CST
    • This little thing,
      http://tascam.com/product/dp-03/

is really cool.  Tascam dp-03.  Its a little digital 8 track, and has mix down options.

Do you already have the recording done or are you looking to start from scratch?

-Erika

• November 11, 2011 3:54 AM CST
    • So I posted a month or two ago about hitting the studio only to find out that many producers/engineers in my area don't get what I'm going for. If you want something done right, sometimes you just gotta do it yourself.

So, I purchase this 8 track monster, the Tascam 80-8, an analog 1/2" tape deck. The beast weighs at least as much as it's model number, maybe more. I then get a Tascam Model 5 mixer. Another monster, I now think I need a bigger house.

So, I'm looking at my setup only to realize I don't have a mixdown option. I've got a 2 track Teac mixdown deck but it's low on the IPS. So, I was wondering your opinion, if I could just run it into a digital recorder? I lack a good computer and figure that if I run stereo into a digitall recorder at a high sampling rate and bit quality that I may be on the right track. Tell me what you think...

• November 11, 2011 10:10 AM CST
    • I've got kids, my daughter is 14 and had a party last year and some of her friends had never seen a record before.

• November 11, 2011 9:45 AM CST
    • I'll still buy them if it's something I *really* want and can't find on vinyl, but I usually just end up ripping the songs to MP3 and listening to them on my iPod. Because of that, these days I pretty much stick to buying MP3s. I have two kids—very little time for much else! But I love eMusic and the fact that I can buy songs there for around 49 cents each. It doesn't mean I still don't love to buy the physical specimen (such as the vinyl LP), but the way that I *listen* to music nowadays is completely different than it was 30, 20, 10, or even five years ago. And ripping MP3s from vinyl is a PITA. I have to do it in GarageBand on my Mac and the importing/editing/exporting can take a while for each song. I don't have all the time in the world to sit around doing that, unfortunately, so a lot of my vinyl has yet to be ripped and sits on my shelves at home rarely ever getting played. :(

I think record stores will be all right. Like I mentioned earlier, vinyl sales continue to rise... so people have to buy them somewhere! And record stores will still be able to sell used CDs. Niche stores like Apop in St. Louis, Goner in Memphis, etc. will be OK, but if it's not a niche store like that, then they're going to have a harder time staying afloat.
      Polyvinyl Craftsmen said:

I've more or less stopped buying CDs, they lost their appeal as soon as I could burn my own at home, much the same reason I never bought albums on cassettes in years gone by. Vinyl is still my format and with so many LPs coming with a download code too I won't mourn the death of the CD. Doesn't bode well for the record store though.

• November 11, 2011 1:56 AM CST
    • I've more or less stopped buying CDs, they lost their appeal as soon as I could burn my own at home, much the same reason I never bought albums on cassettes in years gone by. Vinyl is still my format and with so many LPs coming with a download code too I won't mourn the death of the CD. Doesn't bode well for the record store though.

• November 11, 2011 4:08 AM CST
    • Wow, you guys have pretty much equipment, I feel a little inadequate, but still:

Guitars:

- An old black Fender Squier guitar (with that damn Floyd Rose Tremolo), I have no idea what guitar exactly that is

- My brand new sexy Höfner Galaxie reissue

Amps: An old Dean Markley 50 watt amp

Effects: A Behringer Blues Overdrive, the Marshall Guv'nor, the Danelectro Tuna Melt tremolo. And in my noise band I also use a Cry Baby wah wah.

Not especially garage stuff, but that's all I head or could afford to buy new...

• November 11, 2011 3:45 AM CST
    • I think you can purchase the mag in electrinic form too

Plus there's the side project 'Happening!' which appears to be an abridged bloggy version...

HAPPENING!

• November 11, 2011 3:23 AM CST
    • Does your amp have a tube power section?

If so, turn up your master volume, so you get your power section to distort just a bit. Keep your gain down, so you get a clean sound, but with some bite. Play with either the Dano, or the First Act that have single coils, and try to play with dynamics, so when you play loud your sound distorts.