Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 12, 2011 1:26 AM CST
    • Show #349: "The Eggman Collection #105" playlist:

International Harvester - "Dies Irae/I Villande Skogen/There Is No Other Place"
      The Search - "Mr. Custer"
      The Everly Brothers - "I Wonder If I Care As Much"
      Paladin - "Mix Your Mind With Moonbeams"
      Duncan Browne - "Dwarf In A Tree (A Cautionary Tale)"
      Lard Free - "Honfleur Ecarlate"
      Kuni Kawachi & The Flower Travellin' Band - "Time Machine"
      6 Feet Under - "Fields [demo version]"
      Donovan - "Celtic Rock"
      The Pulsating Heartbeats - "Anne"
      Tin Tin - "Is That The Way"
      Mark Wirtz - "(He's Our Dear Old) Weatherman"
      Missus Beastly - "Talle"
      The Valentines - "Peculiar Hole In The Sky"
      Bob Dylan - "The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)"
      MC5 - "Looking At You [album version]"
      Justin Heathcliff - "Life"
      Les Baxter Orchestra - "Such A Cad"
      The Merry-Go-Round - "Time Will Show The Wiser"
      Bread - "Everything I Own"
      Kansas - "Nactolos 21"
      The Newmens - "What Ya Doin' Down There"
      Christie - "Inside Looking Out"
      Tractor - "Shubunkin/Hope In Favour/Everytime It Happens"
      David - "Lovely Lady"
      Sopwith Camel - "Maybe In A Dream"
      The Lost - "Everybody Knows"
      The Knickerbockers - "She Said Goodbye"
      The Human Equation - "A Bikers Song/Open Your Mind"
      New Colony Six - "Accept My Ring"
      Lazy Smoke - "There Was A Time"
      String & The Beans - "Come Back To Me"
      Tommy James & The Shondells - "I Am A Tangerine"
      Kraftwerk - "Trans-Europe Express/Metal On Metal"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/349.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/349.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• November 12, 2011 1:25 AM CST
    • You really have nothing to worry about at the moment.  If anyone is trying to get rid of the CD in a hurry, it's the makers of Kanye West and Taylor Swift products, not the manufacturers of multi box sets and deluxe packaging.  Independents, especially those who deal in back catalogs are actually doing quite well.  The Beach Boys' SMILE SESSIONS is a great example.  And it will continue into the next year.  Sure, CDs are on the decline just like anything but it'll probably still be another 10 to 15 years before it's totally gone.  The industry back in 1986 predicted that there would no longer be any vinyl manufacturing by the end of 1988 and the cassingle was how we were going to get the latest hit without having to shell out cash for an entire CD.  Look where the cassingle is now.  Yeah, that's right. Goodwill if you're lucky.

Sean said:

Wow, while I kinda saw this coming...I didn't actually think it would happen so soon. I own way more records than I do CD's, but CD's have become convenient for me regarding box sets, imported comps, etc. I've been collecting records since I was 8 when I got my first turntable for Christmas and I've gained a collection of over 12,000 records which include 12'', 10'', 7'' and even some 5'' records and some even smaller ones from cereal boxes, magazines (MAD Magazine being one) and whatnot. While I only have about 300 CD's, and they're not usually pursued often by me, I will miss the extensive multi-disc box sets that came in handy. Like the awesome Memories Of Times Square Record Shop double box set of 11 CD's total. I hope they don't plan on using this treatment toward vinyl since it's recently been making a huge comeback. I absolutely LOVE the fact 99% of the underground Rock & Roll bands are putting their albums out on vinyl, for a lil' while there I thought they were a goner and I'd only be able to buy classic records of the past. And yes, I had a few eight-tracks, but never had a player, they were given to me by my uncle as a kid. Cassettes on other hand, I still take the time to make mix tapes for people, it's a shit-ton of fun. Also, the last digital LP I purchased online was The Booze - Rebirth Of The Cool.

• November 11, 2011 11:12 PM CST
    • Wow, while I kinda saw this coming...I didn't actually think it would happen so soon. I own way more records than I do CD's, but CD's have become convenient for me regarding box sets, imported comps, etc. I've been collecting records since I was 8 when I got my first turntable for Christmas and I've gained a collection of over 12,000 records which include 12'', 10'', 7'' and even some 5'' records and some even smaller ones from cereal boxes, magazines (MAD Magazine being one) and whatnot. While I only have about 300 CD's, and they're not usually pursued often by me, I will miss the extensive multi-disc box sets that came in handy. Like the awesome Memories Of Times Square Record Shop double box set of 11 CD's total. I hope they don't plan on using this treatment toward vinyl since it's recently been making a huge comeback. I absolutely LOVE the fact 99% of the underground Rock & Roll bands are putting their albums out on vinyl, for a lil' while there I thought they were a goner and I'd only be able to buy classic records of the past. And yes, I had a few eight-tracks, but never had a player, they were given to me by my uncle as a kid. Cassettes on other hand, I still take the time to make mix tapes for people, it's a shit-ton of fun. Also, the last digital LP I purchased online was The Booze - Rebirth Of The Cool.

• November 11, 2011 7:33 PM CST
    • Buy an out of date model of an ipod on craigslist or kijiji.

Got a nice ghetto 8 GB ipod nano for 30 bucks on there

Also a LOT of music can be downloaded by googling "Band Title Mediafire"

And you can go on to support your favorite artists by buying their tshirts or going to see them live! then you don't feel that guilty after gutting them of their discography

dying slowly said:

i am sad

but as long as i gt my vinyl ill live

but relying on downlodes no way ive never downloded inmy life idont posses an i pod how will i get new releases????

• November 11, 2011 2:01 PM CST
    • i am sad

but as long as i gt my vinyl ill live

but relying on downlodes no way ive never downloded inmy life idont posses an i pod how will i get new releases????

• November 11, 2011 9:16 PM CST
    • It's the AD50VT - it's a couple years old now.  It's not the one that looks like a classic Vox with the diamond cloth, it's the more modern looking one with the (ugly) silver front.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, folks. Keep 'em coming!

• November 11, 2011 1:55 PM CST
    • what actual model is the amp if its the vt+ i got one in june and can recomend a few tones (alsow check out the tone room on the vox site

• November 11, 2011 6:15 PM CST
    • I'm sorry I said "Of course" so many times. I was'nt aware I was doing that....

A friend of mine met a very drunk Jack Nicholson at The Ritz (Nightclub) in New York , IN THE 80's. He just walked up to him , and said , "HEY , JACK ! HAVE YOU TALKED TO THE MONKEES , LATELY , Y'KNOW , SINCE YOU DID "HEAD" WITH THEM?!"   JACK: " NAAAAAAHH. HAVE'NT TALKED TO THOSE GUYS IN A LONG TIME , MAN." HA HA HA HA HA.

John Battles said:

Good find ! Yeah , Jack Nicholson was in "Rebel Rousers" AND "Hells' Angels on Wheels", if my memory serves me correctly...But , I don't know which movie you mean , that might be the same as H.A.O.W.    Nicholson made his first few pictures in the late 50's , The Cry Baby Killer , I think , was the second. There was another J.D. pic he had a small part in , I forget , then he got with Roger Corman and AIP , and did "The Terror" with Boris Karloff , "The Raven" with Karloff , Vincent Price and Peter Lorre. Then , of course , there was "Psych - Out", some years later , and , of course , he co-wrote "Head" with Bob Rafelson , The Monkees and Murray G. Wanna. "Easy Rider" did'nt even have a working script , we're told , but , it works. Of course , those are just highlights. He was very young , maybe early 20's , when he started out. You should see "The Terror" , just to see a teenaged - looking Jack play a Soldier in The French Army , with NO attempt at a French accent.... 

Bry Nylon said:

Hi John ...got an old 1 sided radio spot - 1min / 30sec / 10sec ...maybe it was the same film under another name 'Hells Angels on Wheels' ? - apparently Jack Nicholsons 1st film -

John Battles said:

Also by the bad , bad Crestones , "The Chopper" . Probably one of the first Rock'n'Roll songs to refer directly to choppers."So if you're cruisin' around , lookin' for a go , come around the South Side of Chicago. I'll show you what I mean when my chopper starts to scream !".

kopper said:

• November 11, 2011 6:10 PM CST
    • Good find ! Yeah , Jack Nicholson was in "Rebel Rousers" AND "Hells' Angels on Wheels", if my memory serves me correctly...But , I don't know which movie you mean , that might be the same as H.A.O.W.    Nicholson made his first few pictures in the late 50's , The Cry Baby Killer , I think , was the second. There was another J.D. pic he had a small part in , I forget , then he got with Roger Corman and AIP , and did "The Terror" with Boris Karloff , "The Raven" with Karloff , Vincent Price and Peter Lorre. Then , of course , there was "Psych - Out", some years later , and , of course , he co-wrote "Head" with Bob Rafelson , The Monkees and Murray G. Wanna. "Easy Rider" did'nt even have a working script , we're told , but , it works. Of course , those are just highlights. He was very young , maybe early 20's , when he started out. You should see "The Terror" , just to see a teenaged - looking Jack play a Soldier in The French Army , with NO attempt at a French accent.... 

Bry Nylon said:

Hi John ...got an old 1 sided radio spot - 1min / 30sec / 10sec ...maybe it was the same film under another name 'Hells Angels on Wheels' ? - apparently Jack Nicholsons 1st film -

John Battles said:

Also by the bad , bad Crestones , "The Chopper" . Probably one of the first Rock'n'Roll songs to refer directly to choppers."So if you're cruisin' around , lookin' for a go , come around the South Side of Chicago. I'll show you what I mean when my chopper starts to scream !".

kopper said:

• November 11, 2011 2:01 PM CST
    • Sailcat had a big hit with "Motorcycle Mama" ('72 ?). I heard it on the radio for about a week , when I was a kid.

Ike and Tina Turner - "The Chopper".

Moby Grape - "Motorcycle Irene".

Iron Butterfly - "Easy Rider" (No relation to the film or Hendrix's similarly - named song , but about straddlin' a righteous hog , all the same. When I saw them , in '96 , Doug Ingle dedicated the song to the owners of all the sweet rides parked outside.).

Vince Taylor - "Jet Black Machine".

Cheers - "Black Denim Trousers (And Motorcycle Boots)".

Blue Cheer - "When Two Spirits Touch" - Actually a very sweet tune. Guest guitar by Tony McPhee (Groundhogs). Possibly the only Biker tune by the ultimate Biker band.

The Leather Boy -" On The Go". Not the 80's (?) act of the same name , but the enigmatic Studio Punk on MGM, mid - 60's (Actually posed in a black leather jacket on the 45 sleeve , a decidedly homoerotic gesture in pre - Fonzie , pre - Ramones America.).

Suicide - "Ghost Rider".

Greaseballs - "Rice Burner" (It's cool. One of 'em is Amerasian. Another is Bill Bulinski from The Electras !).

Girl Trouble - "Sister Mary Motorcycle".

The Pack (Jack Van Horn - Link Wray's Raymen.) - "Get off My Hog".

Motorhead - "Iron Horse".

Chocolate Watchband - "Devil's Motorcycle" (May not be about motorcycles at all , the difficult - to - decipher lyrics seem to be more about comic book - type imagery . But , I don't know. A great song is a great song.)

Brigitte Bardot - "Harley Davidson".

Willie The Wild One - "Willie The Wild One". (The Angels are my buddies , the girls , they love my style ! My hair is long and purple , maybe that's why I'm WILD !".).

• November 11, 2011 1:33 PM CST
    • Also by the bad , bad Crestones , "The Chopper" . Probably one of the first Rock'n'Roll songs to refer directly to choppers."So if you're cruisin' around , lookin' for a go , come around the South Side of Chicago. I'll show you what I mean when my chopper starts to scream !".

kopper said:

• November 11, 2011 6:06 PM CST
    • Playlist Nov 10/2011....

1. The Lyres....Don't Give It Up Now...from their first LP and it sums up life. Lyres backed by Crummy Stuff at The Horseshoe Sat Nov 19th and the only Canadian appearance.

2. Siouxsie and The Banshee...Poppy Day...from their 2nd LP Join Hands from 1979. For Rememberance Day.

3. Andy Butler and the 905's....Hamilton Head...from the New Test Sounds CD from 2007. Andy and the boys are at IPO in Toronto tonight, along with Dave Rave.

4. Frank Ridsdale....The Water Road...from The Port CD he released a couple of years back. Frank's a local man about town.

5. The Famines...The 1st World War...from a 7" and they will be playing sunday at 4PM at 256 Richmond St...that was WW HQ's 30 years ago believe it or not!

6. The Speaking Tongues...Karma Blue...from their brand new LP and they are playing Saturday at The Brass along with Snowheel Slim.

7. The Speaking Tongues...Hell Down Below...from the Third Floor Sessions recorded at Ryerson 4/8/2010.

8. The Speaking Tongues...Run To My Door...from their first CD, Wild Sound which we couldn't get enough of around WW HQ's.

9. catl...Caroline...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11 and they are coming back tomorrow night to play 3 sets! This will be the first 3 set show of catl here in London and is what they usually do when they play The Dakota in Toronto.

10. catl...Parking Lot...from their first LP.

11. catl...Working Man's Soul...from the LP, With The Lord For Cowards You Will Find No Place and this made our top 10 list for 2010!

12. The Fine Print...Last Night...recorded live at Brennan's Beer Bistro 11/5/11 as part of our killer show last weekend! 

13. The Cozyrs...A 1000 Lives In A Lifetime...brand new demo from a brand new band!

14. The Tubes...Don't Touch Me There...from their Greatest Hits CD. These characters were definitely a protopunk band and they actually used to get airplay in the mid 70's on FM radio!

15. The Reply..I'm A Man...recorded live at Brennan's Beer Bistro 11/5/11. Brand new Toronto combo and this was their 2nd gig ever!

16. The A-Bones...Geraldine...from the Not Now! LP as we celebrate 25 years of Norton Records this weekend in Brooklyn!!!

17. Hasil Adkins...She Said...from the Out To Hunch LP on Norton Records. Without Norton Records there would be no Radio What Wave...get out and purchase a Norton LP (or CD) this weekend and help celebrate this weekend!

18. Beat Seeking Missles...Dr Strangelove...brand new 7" on Dirty Waters Records.

19. The Mystics...ESP...recorded live at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton Ontario 9/26/11. The Mystics play The Black Shire Pub here in London on Saturday night.

20. The Mystics...Wasting Time...from their only CD.

21. Soupcans...White Blues Man...from their 12" EP.

22. The Diodes...Red Rubber Ball...from the Greatest Hits CD and The Diodes will be playing Call The Office Fri Nov 18th and we'll have one of them onair for an interview next week.

23. The Hook Up...65 Has No Blues...from the soon to be released CD...The Hook Up were amazing at last weekend's show at Brennan's here in London!

24. The Tubes...White Dopes On Punk....requested by 2 listeners after i played Don't Touch Me There and it's a long song so we had to fade out the end.

Thanx for all of the call-ins, requests, emails, etc!!! And congrats to the winner of the catl tickets and LP, Karen Pettit!

Next week, Diodes onair interview and lots more cool stuff.

And here's the link for the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• November 11, 2011 6:05 PM CST
    • 7.5 IPS is alright but I'd like to get as good a sound as possible. Maybe I should go for it, huh? At least experiment before throwing down on something I might not even need?

dublÉ said:

Sorry, missed your reply, and was unsuccessful at editing my own... 15 ips is fine, and actually some engineers preferred/prefer 15 over 30, for supposed better low-end response.

And yes, 7.5 sounds a bit scant... transfer to digital (24 bit) will be fine.

dublÉ said:

Currently have a Mac-based 16-track ProTools rig, but worked on a 15 ips (/7.5) 16-track 1/2" Tascam (msr16) in the nineties, and still have my old 8-track Tascam 688 (compact-cassette format!) which apparently runs 13 3/4 ips... both worked and sounded great at those particular speeds.  Are you talking lower speeds than this?..

• November 11, 2011 5:09 PM CST
    • Sorry, missed your reply, and was unsuccessful at editing my own... 15 ips is fine, and actually some engineers preferred/prefer 15 over 30, for supposed better low-end response.

And yes, 7.5 sounds a bit scant... transfer to digital (24 bit) will be fine.

dublÉ said:

Currently have a Mac-based 16-track ProTools rig, but worked on a 15 ips (/7.5) 16-track 1/2" Tascam (msr16) in the nineties, and still have my old 8-track Tascam 688 (compact-cassette format!) which apparently runs 13 3/4 ips... both worked and sounded great at those particular speeds.  Are you talking lower speeds than this?..

• November 11, 2011 4:43 PM CST
    • Currently have a Mac-based 16-track ProTools rig, but worked on a 15 ips (/7.5) 16-track 1/2" Tascam (msr16) in the nineties, and still have my old 8-track Tascam 688 (compact-cassette format!) which apparently runs 13 3/4 ips... both worked and sounded great at those particular speeds.  Are you talking lower speeds than this?..

• November 11, 2011 4:18 PM CST
    • Well, the 8 track runs at 15 ips. The master deck runs at 7 1/2 ips. If I were to use it for mixdown I'd be sacrificing high frequency sound waves.

• November 11, 2011 3:51 PM CST
    • and how low would that be?

Ryan Thomas LeGere said:

Inches per second. The faster the tape, the higher the quality.

dublÉ said:

what do you mean by "low on the IPS"?

• November 11, 2011 1:54 PM CST
    • I haven't started recording yet. Basically, I am in the planning process, getting my ducks in a row.

That tascam recorder looks pretty cool. However, I couldn't find any specs on it. I'd like a high sampling rate so I can get a piece of goodness coming out of my analog deck.

The Ills said:

This little thing,
      http://tascam.com/product/dp-03/

is really cool.  Tascam dp-03.  Its a little digital 8 track, and has mix down options.

Do you already have the recording done or are you looking to start from scratch?

-Erika

• November 11, 2011 1:49 PM CST
    • Inches per second. The faster the tape, the higher the quality.

dublÉ said:

what do you mean by "low on the IPS"?

• November 11, 2011 3:17 PM CST
    • ER I KNOW ITS A BIT LATE .....DEADBOLT

• November 11, 2011 2:44 PM CST
    • Unknown Hinson

Sass Parilla the Singing Gorilla