Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 9, 2011 10:30 AM CST
    • Thank you for your generosity. I am so inspired I will take up your cause and put a little Dixie in my Country, backed by a little Glenlivet.

• November 9, 2011 10:20 AM CST
    • Well, having a few radio shows spanning over 20 years spoiled me. You get used to the convenience of being able to pop a CD into a disc player and hitting the track number and pause button, cued up and ready to go. Cuing up vinyl LPs every two minutes for two or three straight hours is a huge pain in the ass, especially when you're also supposed to be going on mic every so often, keeping a log of the songs you're playing, plugging in PSAs, commercials, etc., and still finding time to answer the phone, run to the bathroom, smoke a cigarette, take transmitter readings, whatever. CDs made being a radio DJ a LOT easier. But these days you don't even need to lug your CDs around to do a radio show... all you need is an iPod or two, plug them into the control board and no one will know the difference. Also, playing your precious vinyl on radio station turntables with questionable needle quality (you have no idea how the other jocks on the station are treating these needles, and they may go six months or a year before getting replaced) you often find your records getting worn down a lot sooner than they should be. So anyway, while I saw the convenience of CDs from a radio DJ's point of view (to the point where I would actually prefer bands send CD promos to me instead of vinyl), I can also totally understand why we've reached the end of their lifespan. They're just not necessary anymore when you can purchase 320 kbps MP3s from just about anywhere and burn your own CDs, or put them on your MP3 players or whatever. They've just become the next dinosaur.

• November 9, 2011 10:13 AM CST
    • What will happen to 'record' shops in the future? Sure indi folk are going to move back to vinyl and CDs will become weird retro things like cassettes but what about all the other stuff? And if they are going to get rid of CDs it's surely only a matter of a few years before DVDs and Blurays are out, I mean you can download movies just as you can music.

Will there still be a place for mainstream record stores? Will CDs really completely go out? I mean we are looking at this from a pop music perspective although there is a genre of music where many of the fans don't do MP3s and also find vinyl inferior due to noise and that's the classical music fans.

• November 8, 2011 8:37 PM CST
    • Blimey I just finished reading Appetite For Self-Destruction - 'The Spectacular Demise of the Recording Industry in the Digital Age' and this is another bomb shell!

• November 8, 2011 5:29 PM CST
    • I'll form the rival church, Our Lady of Cassettes

Old School Hero said:

Who wants to start the Born Again Vinyl church with me?

• November 8, 2011 4:44 PM CST
    • Who wants to start the Born Again Vinyl church with me?

• November 8, 2011 3:55 PM CST
    • although, I still like burning CDs because they sound better in my car stereo than the mp3 player wired as a line-in. 

• November 8, 2011 3:47 PM CST
    • Good riddance.

My guess is that printed magazines are a lot closer to vinyl than CDs in terms of its ability to survive despite tech advances.  Just like some diehards will always want LPs and singles, some folks are always going to want actual printed pages.

• November 8, 2011 3:01 PM CST
    • Wow, Steve Albini must be pissing his pants.

• November 9, 2011 10:12 AM CST
    • I also heard the Creation "making time" in a beer commerical Monday night.  I think it was Miller Lite

• November 9, 2011 8:26 AM CST
    • Check out THE DEMONICS-that is great stuff!!!!!They have lots of biker AND surfer feeling and attitude(mid 90s).If you like it harder-the first Cicus of Power-released `88-it`s true cult for bikers.

• November 8, 2011 7:31 PM CST
    • Here's "Cycle Sounds" by the Angry Breed:

• November 8, 2011 7:20 PM CST
    • This band, the Angry Breed, are here on the Hideout, and they're into the biker image as well:

• November 8, 2011 7:05 PM CST
    • Yeah, I'd say they definately go all out for the biker image:

• November 8, 2011 7:02 PM CST
    • Shit, I know I'll think of more in due time, but this is the first one that springs to my mind... The Crestones - She's a Bad Motorcyle

• November 8, 2011 6:49 PM CST
    • The Lords Of Altamont definately:

• November 8, 2011 3:22 PM CST
    • I'd like to compile a list of artists who have songs w/ references to biker culture (bandanas, tattoos, cheap motels, gangs, Jim Beam - the whole 9 yards), lyrics and attitude. Not only late 60's/early 70's stuff but extra points will be given to anyone who can point out any current artists doing this sorta thing, too. i only know Simon Stokes' first couple albums which are really amazing. Oh yeah, and of course Davie Allan & The Arrows. Who else?

• November 9, 2011 4:17 AM CST
    • I've got a white phantom with white pickguard from those guys and it's wicked. Definitely recommended.

• November 8, 2011 11:45 PM CST
    • you should go to the brandoni factory man as you live in england they might have those Nos phantoms for cheep  http://brandoniguitars.co.uk/contact.asp  and while your there ask if they will ship parts to australia, i want to build a vox delta :)

dying slowly said:

the only burns ive seen our out of my range witch cant go above 800 or so and ill be saving for ages then, i would love of one of the new old stock phantoms i saw one i wanted so much recently white with white pickguard 6-string and trem!

(ps i dont like strats i find them clicheyd andi dont like the bridges and ijust prefer the tele twang)

• November 8, 2011 3:45 PM CST
    • the only burns ive seen our out of my range witch cant go above 800 or so and ill be saving for ages then, i would love of one of the new old stock phantoms i saw one i wanted so much recently white with white pickguard 6-string and trem!

(ps i dont like strats i find them clicheyd andi dont like the bridges and ijust prefer the tele twang)

• November 8, 2011 7:12 PM CST
    • Mina , One Rabbit Bands are musicians who are'nt men or women , but, rabbits.

NoBunny , being the best known , is actually a Jackalope (Part Rabbit , Part Antelope.).

Drum Chicken is a Rabbit (Who thinks he's a chicken.) that plays the drums .  

Mina said:

Yeah Margaret Doll Rod is cool. I almost had her perform in my town, but then the touring schedule changed or something. Too bad. 

WTF are one rabbit bands? :D

• November 8, 2011 6:17 PM CST
    • So true. I remember seeing Arsenio Hall interview Little Richard on TV , AND HE ASKED HIM WHAT HE THOUGHT OF 2LIVE CREW'S (Then - Recent) CONTROVERSY. To his credit , Richard did'nt seem very familiarwith the issue , but said  "Don't take your freedoms lightly. You have freedom of speech. If you want to listen to RAP , or if you want to watch PORR - NOG - RO - PHEE . That's your right ! and God gave you that right ! I may not LIKE it , but , I ain't got to BUY it !!!!".       oooh , mysoul ! my ! my ! my!

Mole said:

I guess if 'free speech' is truly free [yeah right!!], then you can't advocate censorship, however distasteful the material may be. Personally I'm not in favour of anything that actively promotes prejudice, but like, I just won't buy it or listen to it. Isn't that the point, that we have a CHOICE? Censorship is someone else's choice, not mine.

• November 8, 2011 5:20 PM CST
    • You're kidding yourself if you think cheap 60's stuff was great. I've got a Futurama Sophomore and a Vox Clubman - they're both wall hangers, not gigable guitars.

That Silvertone amp would be about $800 now allowing for inflation. Not really cheap.

• November 8, 2011 2:51 PM CST
    • Hey! That's pretty good.

hicksville hogwash said:

Scientific evidence shows The Sonics version removes more earwax but The Kingsmen erodes more floor wax.  

I gotta say Richard Berry's original will make me shed a tear or two.