Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 4, 2011 1:24 PM CDT
    • Another British band worth checking out are the Playn Jayn. Found this bit about them on a site called Power Pop Criminals, and there's a Myspace page on 'em, too:

Formed in 1983 from the ashes of the Zoodoo (then The Idd and The Zoo) around the nucleus of the Jones brothers, the Playn Jayn were part of the UK 80's psychedelic revival. Obviously rooted in crafted '60's english pop, but drawn towards the more cracked elements of american psychedelia, the Playn Jayn released a live LP on A&M and then were dropped by their record company before they were signed by ABC. They released their sole studio LP in 1985. Mike Jones (the singer) ended up an acid casualty and became incresingly fragile. Nick (guitarist) took the Chris Dreja route and became a commercial photographer.

http://www.myspace.com/theplaynjayn

• November 4, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • or 1485

• November 4, 2011 1:22 PM CDT
    • what do you think of the vox starstreamer? how much can i get one for in british pounds

• November 4, 2011 1:19 PM CDT
    • ha

• November 4, 2011 12:57 PM CDT
    • Mudhoney were ok but what  Leonardo said about The Kreuzen is totaly my point of view.I saw The Kreuzen end of the 80ies in a VERY small club in St.Pauli(Hamburg)-JESUS it was incredible....there were about 25 to 50 people(sold out!!!!!!!!!!) and these guye played a kind of music I never heard till this day-and I hear lots of differend stuff!!!!

• November 4, 2011 12:47 PM CDT
    • I think SKIN YARD is a superb band,just here "PSYCHORIFLEPOWERHYPNOTIZED"-pure mania,even the cover of the single.GREAT!!!

But it`s very hard to define what "Grunge" is-I don`t think in those categories,because everyone has another definition of music.Some say "Soundgarden" or "A.I.C" is grunge-for me it`s just ROCK from Seattle.

• November 4, 2011 12:24 PM CDT
    • Amazing !
      ~T

• November 4, 2011 11:24 AM CDT
    • here's a suggestion...

• November 4, 2011 9:54 AM CDT
    • We'd definitely be down for that in August if you need a lot of heads up time!
      Maybe do a two night thing where we just pop in at whatwave on thursday, play grooves, then the next day we hit up brennan's.

Very cool ideas, thanks dave!
      whatwave dave said:

If you're willing to make the drive to London, you can always do an instore at Grooves Records...doesn't pay, but it's fun AND you get staff discount on anything you buy at Grooves while you're there. Plus if you have any merch to sell, Grooves doesn't take a percentage off the top.

And Brennan's Beer Bistro is right next door, so you can work out an all ages gig there for the same day...you get the door at this place. Plus you have to do all of your own promo and have a door person.

And if you're down on a thursday eve, we can probably work something out to get you live on Radio What Wave...need lots of advance warning to work this out.

• November 4, 2011 9:02 AM CDT
    • If you're willing to make the drive to London, you can always do an instore at Grooves Records...doesn't pay, but it's fun AND you get staff discount on anything you buy at Grooves while you're there. Plus if you have any merch to sell, Grooves doesn't take a percentage off the top.

And Brennan's Beer Bistro is right next door, so you can work out an all ages gig there for the same day...you get the door at this place. Plus you have to do all of your own promo and have a door person.

And if you're down on a thursday eve, we can probably work something out to get you live on Radio What Wave...need lots of advance warning to work this out.

• November 3, 2011 11:20 PM CDT
    • As far as Canada goes I was just looking for anyone from any country's experiences and what tips or suggestions they'd have!
      And i'll definitely do that for next time.

Thanks!

• November 4, 2011 11:42 AM CDT
    • Actually I agree somewhat about the Rick Rubin stuff. There were some jewels there, but, especially in the later volumes, there was lots of snooze. (One of the worst things he ever recorded was "Bridge Over Troubled Water" with Fiona Apple. Barf!)

And I liked his original recording of the old murder ballad "Deliah" back in the 60s a lot more than the unplugged 90s version with the Kate Moss video.

Roger was God.

• November 4, 2011 11:24 AM CDT
    • Really dig these guys myself, ESPECIALLY Roger Miller! And who can argue on your Cash claim? I especially love his '50's rockabilly and '60's tunes. Early '70's were fine, but after that, I didn't have too much of an interest in his musical career. And I may ruffle feathers here, but I just wasn't a fan of his "American" series of recordings produced by Rick Rubin. I'm not saying they're bad, it's just a matter of personal taste. So many people seem to they were the greatest albums of his career, and maybe they are, and I'm just missing something?

• November 4, 2011 12:25 AM CDT
    • Roger Miller and Johnny Cash doing some serious fucking around.

• November 4, 2011 11:33 AM CDT
    • If it interests anyone, I am going to be deleting the "Hayride" Facebook page and posting anything related to that show on my "40 Oz. Nonsense" page. It would just be easier to keep anything podcast related all under one roof, rather than give me one more thing to have to worry about maintaining and keeping updated. I already do that with the Twitter account anyway, so it only makes sense.

Here's the link for the "40 Oz. Nonsense" page: www.facebook.com/40oznonsense

• November 4, 2011 11:20 AM CDT
    • true! i will forward your suggestion to a friend who actually need them. 

• November 4, 2011 11:17 AM CDT
    • Make up your own lyrics. More fun that way.

• November 4, 2011 10:50 AM CDT
    • couldn't find...

• November 4, 2011 10:27 AM CDT
    • Does somebody know where I can get the lyrics 

for 'Blood Blank Blues' song?

Thanks!

• November 4, 2011 11:17 AM CDT
    • If I remember right, Red Sovine co-sang that...Speaking of which, Red could really do some honky tonk singin' pre-"Teddy Bear" era (In other words, before most of his albums became just storytelling set to music).

WolfBoy Slim said:

webb is the man! ever heard his cover of George Jones " why , baby, why" ? i think its even better than the original

• November 4, 2011 10:46 AM CDT
    • Yes, my ad here at the Hideout will start running soon -- but I wanted opinions on the other best places online to advertise garage-psych releases?

It is so hard to reach the actual people who still actually BUY new garage-psych releases, lol -- so I'm llooking for any online locations that are worthwhile.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• November 4, 2011 2:43 AM CDT
    • Ok yes when you put everything into it's time frame, for 63 it's way out there! Also the Kingsmen version is thee one which is totally recognisable as theirs, if you know what I mean. In fact "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen was/is the "blue touch paper" that sparked my adolescent imagination. FACT!

• November 3, 2011 9:37 PM CDT
    • If people are going to keep saying Swamp Rats (which is awesome),  my assumption is that you like the Sonics' version more than the Kingsmen since that's what my question was, not what OTHER versions you like besides the two.

• November 3, 2011 6:54 PM CDT
    • DFA '79 is a two piece (formally just death from above but had to add the '79 cuz i guess the name was taken)  with a bass player ripping on super distortion and a drummer/lead singer. They were a pretty big underground canadian band then broke up when they were getting really popular (started in 2001 broke up in 04, apparently they really hated each other) Bass player went on to form MSTRKRT (not really a fan of that) ANYWAY they put on an amazing live show and excited they got back together. They have a lot of electronic remixes out there so make sure your listening to an original not a remix. anyway enjoy.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LV_uSEJbc&feature=related