Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 9, 2011 8:34 PM CST
    • Fender Lead I  (awesome ax with a really hot humbucker)

through a 

SOVTEK Mig60 (chunky raunchy stew amp)

drummer uses...

Ludwig Drumset w/ one rack tom, floor tom, snare, hi-hat, crash and ride, and kick.

• November 9, 2011 8:05 PM CST
    • I'm excited! I have never really been a big fan of cd's myself. 

I am also a man who gets asked and hears others ask, "Why did you put it out on cassette?"

However, this article mentions the digital download becoming the head honcho. I like the digital download. I like the idea of not lugging around, wait... I dont purchase or listen to cd's. 

For people who don't own record or cassette players or other forms to import and listen to music, I don't see this being an issue. 

As for people who purchase cd's on the regular, they'll have to get used to keeping their Down Load cards in one place. 

Most of all I think that the environmental impact that cd's leave, and for that matter all types of music media, could be altered and improved greatly. 

Then again, who the Hell am I? What do I know?

• November 9, 2011 7:49 PM CST
    • This is just a badly written article which so far is the only web-site that has such a story.  Billboard hasn't written anything.  Neither has Rolling Stone (which you know would have jumped on this if there was a shred of truth).  While major labels are probably having problems with their r & b and hip hop sales, there is an uprise in labels that sell back catalogs and oldies collections, Sundazed having the most success.  But there isn't one quote from an industry insider even with the "update".  CDs will most certainly disappear but not by the end of next year.  That's like saying that vinyl was going to be done with by the end of the 80s.

• November 9, 2011 7:11 PM CST
    • Yeah don't hold your breath because that's never going to happen. 

Thomas Marshall said:

Well mp3s are lossy and I want my audio lossless which is both vinyl and cds! I'm waiting for hd blu-rays to be properly used for artists. Albums on those will be truly awesome. 

• November 9, 2011 6:35 PM CST
    • LOL!  That did happen to a friend of mine:)

DammitDave said:

"The next monument to fall? That will be printed magazines as people will want to consume their information online where they also read most of the news."

I wonder how many people have dropped their phone or tablet in the bowl when they want to read the USA Today on the toilet.  Make sure to wash your hands before using the touch screen!

• November 9, 2011 5:45 PM CST
    • "The next monument to fall? That will be printed magazines as people will want to consume their information online where they also read most of the news."

I wonder how many people have dropped their phone or tablet in the bowl when they want to read the USA Today on the toilet.  Make sure to wash your hands before using the touch screen!

• November 9, 2011 5:36 PM CST
    • I can see it now: "thanks for coming out, tip your bartenders and servers, and make sure to take out your smartphone and download our new album right now!"

That's more punk rock than me!

• November 9, 2011 4:50 PM CST
    • Well mp3s are lossy and I want my audio lossless which is both vinyl and cds! I'm waiting for hd blu-rays to be properly used for artists. Albums on those will be truly awesome. 

• November 9, 2011 4:38 PM CST
    • Wow, I couldn't imagine life without a turntable. Sounds like a curse!

MikeL said:

Kind of sad, but inevitable.  I still have a big CD collection, but lately I've been downloading LPs more often because that's the only way I can get a release that I want.  

Since vinyl has been enjoying such a huge resurgence, I've been toying with the idea of getting a turntable, after doing without a turntable for over 25 years.  It would feel weird, especially after turntables were made obsolete by CD players so many years ago, and now CDs are officially obsolete.

BTW, did anyone here ever have eight tracks?  I remember them when I was a kid, but I never had any myself.  

• November 9, 2011 2:11 PM CST
    • I might become a convert soon:)  See my previous post.

Old School Hero said:

Who want's to start the Born Again Vinyl church with me?

• November 9, 2011 2:09 PM CST
    • Kind of sad, but inevitable.  I still have a big CD collection, but lately I've been downloading LPs more often because that's the only way I can get a release that I want.  

Since vinyl has been enjoying such a huge resurgence, I've been toying with the idea of getting a turntable, after doing without a turntable for over 25 years.  It would feel weird, especially after turntables were made obsolete by CD players so many years ago, and now CDs are officially obsolete.

BTW, did anyone here ever have eight tracks?  I remember them when I was a kid, but I never had any myself.  

• November 9, 2011 1:26 PM CST
    • wow

• November 9, 2011 7:35 PM CST
    • Well that's a smart and hearty answer and good reasoning behind a Swamp Rats answer than just blurting out "SWAMP RATS" with out regard to the premise(?).  I love their version of "Psycho" but "Louie Louie" kind of left me cold good as it is.

Ryan Hatt said:

I agree with the Swamp Rats voters which, yes Rod, means that technically I vote for The Sonics but let me explain why I think that's not exactly true.  Until late middle school I wasn't allowed to listen to much more than what the "oldies" stations were playing in LA, which means that the Kingsmen version was the first rendition of Louie Louie I ever heard and I always thought it was just ok.  While in college a couple of years back with (forgive me) absolutely no knowledge of The Sonics I picked up one of the Back From The Grave comps and was completely blown away by The Swamp Rats doing their Sonics cover.  We're talking constant repeat, nearly wrecking my car because I was rocking while driving sort of stuff.  I did the research and learned it was their version of The Sonics arrangement so I went to check out The Sonics and was utterly disappointed by just how toned down and "Ed Sullivan" their version felt comparatively.  Sorry.  I think The Sonics have the better arrangement, but, like some of Dylan's work, I don't think they utilized its potential.

• November 9, 2011 5:33 PM CST
    • I agree with the Swamp Rats voters which, yes Rod, means that technically I vote for The Sonics but let me explain why I think that's not exactly true.  Until late middle school I wasn't allowed to listen to much more than what the "oldies" stations were playing in LA, which means that the Kingsmen version was the first rendition of Louie Louie I ever heard and I always thought it was just ok.  While in college a couple of years back with (forgive me) absolutely no knowledge of The Sonics I picked up one of the Back From The Grave comps and was completely blown away by The Swamp Rats doing their Sonics cover.  We're talking constant repeat, nearly wrecking my car because I was rocking while driving sort of stuff.  I did the research and learned it was their version of The Sonics arrangement so I went to check out The Sonics and was utterly disappointed by just how toned down and "Ed Sullivan" their version felt comparatively.  Sorry.  I think The Sonics have the better arrangement, but, like some of Dylan's work, I don't think they utilized its potential.

• November 9, 2011 6:30 PM CST
    • I know vox is cool and all that, build in tremolo and stuff.. but daaanm what I think these phantoms are ugly as hell.

• November 9, 2011 6:18 PM CST
    • Last "proper" show I attended was Paul Weller a few months ago in Hollywood. And B-52's next to a lake over the summer.

• November 9, 2011 2:28 PM CST
    • I saw the Cynics last Saturday night at the 31st Street Pub, and they put on a great show.

On a sad note, it may be the last time they will ever play at the Pub, because business has been bad at the venue and the owner is looking into selling the place.  The Pub was the place where I got my first taste of garage, i.e. Cynics, Swingin' Neckbreakers, and the Flestones, all in the summer of 2000.  I also saw the Dictators for the first time at the Pub in July 2001, and I discovered other bands such as Cobra Verde, Paybacks, and Manda and the Marbles at the Pub.  

• November 9, 2011 6:05 PM CST
    • this is the first what come to my mind :P

• November 9, 2011 11:05 AM CST
    • My favorite biker songs are PJ Harvey's Motorbike and Richard Thompson's 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. I can't listen to music while I ride the Honda but I hum along in my head.

• November 9, 2011 5:27 PM CST
    • The Big Mix – 2/11/11

1 – Love To See You Bleed – Roky Erickson

2 – Cry Girl Girl Cry – The Butchers

3 – Graveyard Woman – The Woggles

4 – No More Hot Dogs – Hasil Adkins

5 – Last Dance – 10 Foot Ganja Plant

6 – Lost Girl – The Troggs

7 – I Hate Cha – Andre Williams

8 – Bitch – Problem Hair

9 – Knoxville Girl – Brett Sparks

•  

10 – I Don’t Like You – Thee Headcoats

11 – The Last Kiss – Orion

12 – Who’ll Be The Next In Line – The Kinks

13 – I Ain’t Gonna Love You Any More – Ernest Tubb

14 – Just One More Night – The Milkshakes

15 – No Mans No Good – Ultra Bimbos

16 – I Want My Baby Dead – Manikins

17 – Other Shoe – Old 97s

•  

18 – Now She’s Dead – Downliners Sect

19 – Wrapped In Red – Black Monday

20 – She’s A Cadaver – Pagans

21 – I’m Gonna Kill My Baby Tonight – The Mummies

22 – Love Like Anthrax – Gang Of 4

23 – Pardon Me, I’ve Got Someone To Kill – Andre Williams and the Sadies

•  

24 – Happily Ever After – The Nevermores

25 – Dead Girlfriend – Dragstrip Demons

26 – Lick It – Dwarves

• November 9, 2011 3:37 PM CST
    • I'm no great fan of Henry or even Black Flag (Heresy in my country , I know.) , but , when he gets  it , he nails the fucker on the head , and he sure did , here. The Stooges tours are reaping millions (Not , I don't think , so much because a song or two appeared in a commercial.) , and I say , RIGHT ON !!!! But , to get back to Henry , it's true these songs we're talking about were , as Iggy put it , "Not originally commercially concieved",but there are all kinds of monies unaccounted for , from the sales of Punk and proto - Punk records. If that Artists can get back what's rightfully theirs , and collect a sweet chunk of interest , besides , then , why not ? the monks would have been no more , no less , popular , today ,  had "Monk Time" not briefly appeared in a commercial. They still had to get out there and WORK , as they were'nt getting younger , and , sadly , two of them are gone , now. They did'nt even have the previous popularity of The Pistols , Buzzcocks , Fall , Stooges , Cramps , etc. , so , I think it's great that someone had thought to include them in an ad , if only briefly. It does'nt change things so drastically , except , yes , for a change , the Artists are being compensated. Bands like The Creation , featured in a commercial , and a major motion picture , their status has'nt changed that much . They were in the midst of being rediscovered , anyway. They played here , two nights in a row , a monday and a tuesday , something the so - called "Promotor" was against , because  he did'nt know who they were. When they sold out both nights (Which does NOT happen  in Chicago on two weeknights in a row .), the guy who fought the booking tried to take credit for it. The record industry is no different. Does anyone really think The Stooges or The Sex Pistols have'nt earned gold , maybe even platinum , records by now? Ask the surviving band members where said awards are , now ?  They're doing better than that. Take the cash , Take the K.A.S.H.

edmur said:

As usual, Henry Rollins succinctly sums up this concept and argument:

• November 9, 2011 3:01 PM CST
    • The first time I can remember a song I realllly loved being used in a commercial was a Range Rover ad with the Sonics "Have Love, Will Travel". I didn't bother me in the least....but even having such a kick ass soundtrack still wouldn't compel me to buy one of those awful SUV's.

• November 9, 2011 10:37 AM CST
    • it started as an accident but we kinda like it.

the topic of this thread is not really meant to be taken seriously. it's a jab at the music bizz problem of being in the dilemma of not wanting to give away music while still wanting to provide access to it...

do you think like this the recordings sound so bad that you lose interest?

• November 9, 2011 10:31 AM CST
    • Ugh, this is why I hate cassettes. Leave 'em in your car too long and they start sounding like that top one.

I'm not sure what the point of this topic is, though. "great way for previewing to your audience?" Huh? Maybe explain that one... cuz I'm not sure why you'd want to have a crappy recording of a song to "preview to your audience."

BTW, that second video doesn't sound bad at all.