Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Bootlegs

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 17, 2012 11:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What is your favorite live/bootleg you have gotten over the years? Mine are Tales from the Crypt by The Mummies and Prime Directive Exterminate the Whole Ruman Race by The Misfits (even though the sound quality is complete shit.)

• September 30, 2012 3:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sex Pistols ~ Spunk (1977)

Original 1977 Bootleg Album
      1 Seventeen 2:09
      2 Satellite 4:12
      3 Feelings (No Feelings) 2:54
      4 Just Me (I Wanna Be Me) 3:16
      5 Submission 4:17
      6 Nookie (Anarchy In The U.K.) 4:10
      7 No Future (God Save The Queen) 3:41
      8 Problems 4:21
      9 Lots Of Fun (Pretty Vacant) 3:38
      10 Liar 2:45
      11 Who Was It (EMI) 3:19
      12 New York (Looking For A Kiss) 3:10

• February 1, 2012 9:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My fave 'unoffical release' in my collection is: Siouxie and the Banshees Metal Shadows. I have it right here next to me. Tracks from '77 and '78.

• January 28, 2012 3:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes , I am !!!

Mike said:

John,

You are talking about..

• January 28, 2012 3:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh ,I see. I thought it was the other wayaround.

Tony Jonaitis said:

I loved Hot Wacks, and bought every issue of the book (and it was later a magazine). Today its Bootlegzone and Collector's Music.
    • January 26, 2012 7:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John,

You are talking about..

• January 26, 2012 2:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I loved Hot Wacks, and bought every issue of the book (and it was later a magazine). Today its Bootlegzone and Collector's Music.
    • January 26, 2012 1:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , you have to go back and re-live the fun , from when you first scored those records....Knowing you were taking a chance , and , sometimes , even less than terrific sound was no deterrent from playing 'em over and over again. A lot of times , a good bootleg will put you there , because you'll hear things you would'nt hear on an official release. I just taped my friend's copy of the Whitman's Punk Sampler....except for Tom Petty. I know he got lumped in with the New Wave before he was very well known , but , even he had to proclaim "We're not Punks !" , because his band was getting confused with Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers , who'd already been around the block. And , I DO mean , been around the block. My friend's copy of that record was just as you described , but , it did list the artists and titles.....I don't know if it's been "Re - booted".    Ever read "Hot Wacks" , friends? It was a magazine and book form guide to boots that were current , each release described in detail.....Plus , there were concert and girlie pictures of Bebe Buell and whatshername , the one who bought her own billboard on the Sunset Strip. Not Morganna , but.......and others.

Mike said:

Love this thread, making me revisit some stuff I haven't listened to in many years. I assume the Whitman's Punk Sampler had been rebooted by many different bootleggers just as many other boots had been. Mine has a 11 1/2" square piece of paper with artwork and no tracklisting. A previous owner must of written the tracklisting that is on the plain white labels. I can't remember the last time I played this one, maybe a decade or more ago. What a shame as the live recordings here are good. Here's a tracklisting:

Side 1: Patti Smith - 'Space Monkey' Tom Petty - 'Jaguar & Thunderbird', 'American Girl' Talking Heads - 'Psycho Killer' Runaways - 'Wasted'

Side 2: Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The U.K. Damned - 'Help', 'Stab your Back', 'So Messed Up' Ramones - 'Rockaway Beach', Sheena Is A Punk Rocker', 'Surfin' Bird' Iggy Pop - 'Neighborhood Threat' Patti Smith - 'Mafia'

John Battles said:

Wow. How did they get away with only selling Bootlegs? Were they Mob - owned or something?

My ex - GF got arrested for selling Boots on the East Coast , and we're not even talking enough reords to fill the "X" section at your local , AFTER removing ( L.A. ) X , (Aussie) X, and X-Ray Spex....we're talking maybe a half - dozen records....

That's pretty cool, that story about The Ramones. A friend of mine loaned me that "Whitman's Punk Sampler" , was'nt Tom Petty on that , too , though? ha ha ha ha ha.

Tony Jonaitis said:

Who remember "Back Room Records" in Amherst, Ma?  They only sold bootlegs (vinyl, of course).  I remember walking in there in 1980 and finding all four Ramones buying Ramones bootlegs!!!  Bliss!  Anyway, my first "punk" bootleg was "Whitman's Punk Sampler."  A great comp of live stuff by Patti Smith, Pistols, etc.

• January 26, 2012 1:31 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Interesting. I don't think they're as hardcore today , against Bootlegs. So many of them are produced in limited quantities , at best.

Tony Jonaitis said:

Back Room Records was in business for at least five years.  I don't know how they were able to survive in those bootleg-hating days.  There was also Second Coming Records in Cambridge, Ma...they had tons of boots. Most dealers/stores bought their stock from wholesaler "Still Rare Records" in South Carolina.  Still Rare was a mail-order company that exploited some Carolina loophole and could not be shut down.  They even advertised in Rolling Stone's back pages!  I can remember getting flyers about bootleg cut-out sales...unpopular or unsold boots selling for as low as $1.37! 

• January 26, 2012 7:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Back Room Records was in business for at least five years.  I don't know how they were able to survive in those bootleg-hating days.  There was also Second Coming Records in Cambridge, Ma...they had tons of boots. Most dealers/stores bought their stock from wholesaler "Still Rare Records" in South Carolina.  Still Rare was a mail-order company that exploited some Carolina loophole and could not be shut down.  They even advertised in Rolling Stone's back pages!  I can remember getting flyers about bootleg cut-out sales...unpopular or unsold boots selling for as low as $1.37! 

• January 26, 2012 6:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mike said:

Love this thread, making me revisit some stuff I haven't listened to in many years. I assume the Whitman's Punk Sampler had been rebooted by many different bootleggers just as many other boots had been. Mine has a 11 1/2" square piece of paper with artwork and no tracklisting. A previous owner must of written the tracklisting that is on the plain white labels. I can't remember the last time I played this one, maybe a decade or more ago. What a shame as the live recordings here are good. Here's a tracklisting:

Side 1: Patti Smith - 'Space Monkey' Tom Petty - 'Jaguar & Thunderbird', 'American Girl' Talking Heads - 'Psycho Killer' Runaways - 'Wasted'

Side 2: Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The U.K. Damned - 'Help', 'Stab your Back', 'So Messed Up' Ramones - 'Rockaway Beach', Sheena Is A Punk Rocker', 'Surfin' Bird' Iggy Pop - 'Neighborhood Threat' Patti Smith - 'Mafia'

John Battles said:

Wow. How did they get away with only selling Bootlegs? Were they Mob - owned or something?

My ex - GF got arrested for selling Boots on the East Coast , and we're not even talking enough reords to fill the "X" section at your local , AFTER removing ( L.A. ) X , (Aussie) X, and X-Ray Spex....we're talking maybe a half - dozen records....

That's pretty cool, that story about The Ramones. A friend of mine loaned me that "Whitman's Punk Sampler" , was'nt Tom Petty on that , too , though? ha ha ha ha ha.

Tony Jonaitis said:

Who remember "Back Room Records" in Amherst, Ma?  They only sold bootlegs (vinyl, of course).  I remember walking in there in 1980 and finding all four Ramones buying Ramones bootlegs!!!  Bliss!  Anyway, my first "punk" bootleg was "Whitman's Punk Sampler."  A great comp of live stuff by Patti Smith, Pistols, etc.

• January 25, 2012 11:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Screamers - '1977 Demos' is a good one to own in my opinion. I do not believe there is any duplication of tracks that are on the official "In A Better World" double CD release. My only complaint is that they split up "122 Hours of fear" between the A & B sides.

• January 25, 2012 11:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Tony Jonaitis said:

• January 25, 2012 7:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tony Jonaitis said:

• January 25, 2012 7:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 25, 2012 3:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another favorite of mine is "Elvis Presley - Live , Pearl Harbor Memorial , Hawaii , 1961".

Elvis was barely out of the service when he had to relive it onscreen (But ,while , in real life , Brigitte Bardot said "No" , Juliet Prowse said "Yes ! Yes ! ", even if it meant her offscreen Boyfriend ,  Frank Sinatra were to find out. He did. He let the kid live.)....

So , when he agreed to do this charity show , one of two before the 68 Comeback and Vegas era shows , his kool kat daddy badass pompadour was still buzzed off (For the movie cameras) never to return to it's former glory. He DID wear the gold lame Nudie jacket , tho' . It's a glimpse , musically speaking , of what could have still been.

His band , "The Unwashables" , as he calls 'em , consisted of Scotty Moore , D.J. Fontana (Bill Black was still alive , but , he never worked with Elvis again. I guess he was pissed , because "E" had to play the proto - Ramones bass line on "You're So Square...." when Black could'nt git it.), monster Jazz/C and W Guitar Player , Hank Garland, Boots Randolph , The Jordanaires , and Bob Moore on Bass. It's a dynamic cross section of early material (Going as far back as "That's All Right , Mama.) ", all the RCA hits , including his oft - overlooked "Holy shit ! I just got drafted!" Late 50's sides , and more recent stuff like a killer "Reconsider Baby" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight"( "Then came act two.....you seemed to change. You got FAT !!"). THE SOUND IS VERY GOOD , CONSIDERING THE TECHNOLOGY OF THE AGE , AND ALL THE HORNY WAHINIS SCREAMING THEIR LUNGS OUT.

THE ORIGINAL BOOTLEG HAS A NICE GATEFOLD SLEEVE WITH A PICTURE BOOKLET OF REPROS OF ALL THE HAWAII NEWSPAPER ARTICLES ANNOUNCING AND REVIEWING THE CONCERT. The concert also appears , in full , on the "Elvis Aaron Presley" box set . It's important for it's historical quality , also that there's nothing but great songs , and Elvis , in great voice , sounding confident , cocky , and in good humor , as though he were ready to conquer the world again , on his own terms.....Did'nt quite go that way.

• January 25, 2012 3:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT'S BRUTAL ! Supposedly , one member of the band attacked his Uncle  with a fishing hook(??). A lot of good reissues came out around the turn of the century - Pack , Hubble Bubble's first , FU2 (MEMBERS OF THE DOWNLINERS SECT BEATING THE PUNKS AT THEIR OWN GAME!) , and of course , Los Punk Rockers.

Alex said:

I would have to pick the not-so-legit reissue of the S/T LP by The Pack (German punk band).

• January 25, 2012 3:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

COOL ! Of course , it's available on DVD , with tracks (Bad choice of words) not on the LP , CD , PREVIOUS VHS VERSION , ETC. WHAT'S THAT LABEL? BVM ? They're doing some great , and some GOOD , stuff for Punk rarities and other delights .

Mike said:

Yea, that was the one. It was a great show. That boot was recorded with a DAT recorder from the balcony as I recall. I saw him more than once at the Roxy, I think the other time was the year before this.

• January 24, 2012 6:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I would have to pick the not-so-legit reissue of the S/T LP by The Pack (German punk band).

• January 24, 2012 12:54 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I collected quite a few Hendrix boots when I lived in Holland as a teenager. My favourite was called Guitar Hero which was basically the BBC stuff. Took them about 20 years to put that out legit on Ryko records and then it took a bit longer yet to get all of it out, on the BBC sessions double CD
    • January 21, 2012 6:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yea, that was the one. It was a great show. That boot was recorded with a DAT recorder from the balcony as I recall. I saw him more than once at the Roxy, I think the other time was the year before this.

• January 21, 2012 5:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Are you talking about the set with The Idols - Jerry Nolan , Arthur Kane and Barry Jones ("The Black Thunders".) ? Man , that was one of the best ! When he was on , he was on , and Johnny's in his glory , there !

Mike said:

"BOOTLEGGING THE BOOTLEGGERS" AS JOHNNY THUNDERS CALLED IT.    THERE'S ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE , THUNDERS MADE HIS OPINIONS ON BOOTLEGS KNOWN ,"

Yea I saw Thunders a few times in the mid 80's too. One show was at the Roxy here in LA which a pretty good bootleg CD was made several years later, which Thunders sister then "bootlegged" the bootleggers and put it out legitly.

• January 20, 2012 11:17 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"BOOTLEGGING THE BOOTLEGGERS" AS JOHNNY THUNDERS CALLED IT.    THERE'S ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE , THUNDERS MADE HIS OPINIONS ON BOOTLEGS KNOWN ,"

Yea I saw Thunders a few times in the mid 80's too. One show was at the Roxy here in LA which a pretty good bootleg CD was made several years later, which Thunders sister then "bootlegged" the bootleggers and put it out legitly.

• January 20, 2012 7:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The former I have , it IS really good. I've got one called "Eureka" with all these great covers - "Let The Kids Dance" , "King of The Surf" , "L.A. Woman" , "T.V.EYE" (of course.) and "You're Gonna Miss Me" (But , of course !), but the sound is pretty bad , like it's a dupe of a dupe , not necessarily a bad recrding to begin with .... I can't help thinking there's a better version , out there.....

johnny anderson said:

Radio Birdmans "Rock 'n' Roll War" and Cure @ Ontario Theater, Washington nov 16:th 1984.

• January 20, 2012 7:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I KNOW WHICH ONE YOU MEAN , MIKE , AND I THINK THAT WAS FROM 1968. I HAVE A COUPLE OF SIMILAR BOOTS ON THE WHO , AS WELL.   I WAS JUST TALKING , TOO , WITH ANOTHER FRIEND , HERE , ABOUT A SIMILAR BUZZCOCKS BOOT , I THINK IT'S CALLED "TIME'S UP" , HOWARD DEVOTO - ERA STUFF. IT SCREAMS "LEGIT" , GREAT SOUND , BEAUTIFUL PACKAGING , A DEVOTO/SHELLEY INTERVIEW 45 THAT SEEMED TO BE MADE JUST FOR THE RELEASE . TURNS OUT , IT WAS A BOOT.

"BACK IN THE DAY" (HA HA) , RECORD STORES , HEAD SHOPS , TOO , WOULD CARRY THOSE BOOTLEGS , MANY OF WHICH HAD NO ARTWORK . MORE AND MORE , THEY TURN UP IN USED RECORD STORES , SOMETIMES THEY'RE RE - PRESSINGS , DONE WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A HOWDY DO. "BOOTLEGGING THE BOOTLEGGERS" AS JOHNNY THUNDERS CALLED IT.    THERE'S ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE , THUNDERS MADE HIS OPINIONS ON BOOTLEGS KNOWN , BUT , WHEN I SAW HIM IN '86 , IN DALLAS , HIS SOLO RECORDS , HEARTBREAKERS (TRACK'S NEWEST HITMAKERS!), AND ORIGINAL DOLLS LPs WERE ALMOST UNOBTAINABLE. SOME KIDS BROUGHT THE NOTORIOUS "LIVE , DALLAS '74" LP WITH THEM , BECAUSE IT WAS ABOUT ALL YOU COULDFIND AT THE TIME. HE SIGNED 'EM ANYWAY. I INTERVIEWED SYLVAIN SYLVAIN , AND HE SAID , "GOD BLESS THE BOOTLEGGERS , BECAUSE OUR STUFF WAS OUT OF PRINT , MERCURY DID'NT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT , AND THE BOOTLEGGERS KEPT THE DOLLS IN THE PUBLIC CONSCIENCE."

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel