Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Too old to rock?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 1, 2012 8:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm the same age as you, Matthew and I still jump into the fray at shows if I like the band (if I'm not photographing them, that is). And I'm usually the most animated dancer on the floor when I do. I still get an adrenaline rush from listening to rock and roll...I hope that never goes away.

• January 1, 2012 2:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm 52...and, believe it or not, my grandma was a HUGE Elvis fan since the very beginning.  She saw him play in Tampa, Florida every time he came to town.  No, she wasn't an active rocker, but four years ago I was playing a Wanda Jackson disc and she instantly loved it.  No, you can't be too old to rock, but some folks just get boring as they age!

• January 1, 2012 11:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I think the "energy and passion" are keys.  Rock n' Roll is youth culture so we are all a bit juvenile here.  It's bands that become "mature" with age and start playing all mid tempo and clean that feel "old."  You have to stay dirty and unhinged.  The Fleshtones are still doing push-ups at their shows!  And if you are a fan, avoid the temptation to grouse about how much better the scene was in your day because rejecting the new kids makes you a geezer.....and an ass!

Tom McLoughlin said:

Here's a bizarre but true story regarding this subject.  We just reformed THE SLOTHS at the end of this summer. All of us Sloth members we apart of the Hollywood Sunset Strip era of 1964 to 1966. No one knew that 'Makin' Love' the 45 the original group made in 1965 but was never released, had somehow been discovered and on the 'Back From The Grave 4' album. Nor did we know The Gories and other bands had covered it, or that an original single with sleeve had been sold for as high as $6550.00 on eBay.  We were all amazed. Ugly Things magazine just did a cover story on the group.  But the point is..all this led to us getting together again (in a garage, of course) and starting playing the songs exactly as we had 45 years ago. Some of us had not played, nor have I sang, in over 4 decades. But it was as if no time had passed. Now we're being booked in clubs and venues. The most surreal thing is we were all around 16yrs old back in the day. Now we're in our 60s playing the music of the 60s with more energy and passion than when we were teens. Too Old To Rock? Not yet, thank God.

• December 31, 2011 5:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am 51 and have always and still am listening to 60's garage (Sonics, Standells, 13th Floor Elevators etc), garage revival (Lyres, Miracle Workers, Lime Spiders, Stems, Shoutless, Nomads, etc) and rockabilly (too many to name) as a regular diet. I constantly search for new stuff as well and have to say that Shapes With Fangs are a new favorite.

It's not your age it's your attitude, everyone keep on rockin'

• December 30, 2011 2:44 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

David Johansen

Sylvain Sylvain

Walter Lure

Mick Jones

Johnny Rotton

Cheetah Chrome

The Rolling Stones

I'm 50 and can't imagine ever listening to anything else but a little RnR...

• December 30, 2011 2:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That sums it up really well, SarahJayne:)

SarahJayne said:

Two words: Kim Fowley

• December 30, 2011 11:31 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was under the impression as a rebelous 20 year old that people grew boring as they got older now I am 34 one of my best friends is 66 soon to turn 67.  He has single handedly turned me on to bunches of new and old music we sit around at least twice a week listening to Garagepunk.com podcasts and any other music we can get our hands on.  He turned me on to everything from the Imortal Lee County Killers, Bunker Hill, The Space Shits, and a miriad of stuff sold by labels like Norton and Midnight Records.  Never to old to rock!!!!!!!

• December 30, 2011 1:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I WAS JUST THINKIN' ABOUT HOW THEY ONLY LIVE ABOUT 100 MILES AWAY (Craig's just in Peoria) , BUT , CHICAGO , FOR ALL IT'S HISTORY OF GARAGE BANDS , AND ALL THE TALK OF THE "GARAGE SCENE" BOOKS A MINIMUM OF GARAGE BANDS. BUT , ALL THE FOOTAGE I'VE SEEN OF GONN SOUNDS TREMENDOUS.

kopper said:

Don't forget Craig Moore & GONN! Here they are rockin' St. Louis a couple years ago:

• December 30, 2011 1:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fleetline , streamline , Military brass , she knows the General's Daughter , but The Killer KICKS ASS !!!! And I'm rockin' , Rockin' my life away , My name is JLL , AND I'M HELL , BUT I'M WELL , AND I'M DAMN SURE HERE TO STAY !  

sleazy said:

THE KILLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IN2011:)

• December 30, 2011 1:10 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , you know , that's crap , but it is'nt going to stop anytime , soon (The Mosh pit) , that's partly why I have'nt gone to see SLF a second time , tho ' they were great when I saw them  (With Bruce Foxton of The Jam , From The Jam , Bruce Foxton's Jam , etc.) ...But ,  I'll probably see 'em again , given the chance. Slamming was'nt a big deal , early on. It was kind of playful , and usually between two people. I saw a guy get carried out for trying to start a pit at a ROKY ERICKSON show !!! Some clubs don't condone it , but give you a second chance if you try to jock out with all your might.

swt said:

You're just a kid. Matthew. I'm 58, and I thought I was the oldest one here until I saw Old Man Shore's post.

I might have shared this story here before, but last summer while in Austin, I took my son to Emo's to see Stiff Little Fingers. ABout halfway through the first song, the youngsters started their slam dancing. I got hit in the back and knocked around and realized my fucking dentures had been knocked loose. I retreated to the back. I don't think I could have stood the irony of losing my false teeth at a punk rock show.

In case you missed it, here's a good podcast for us oldsters:

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profiles/blogs/big-enchilada-34-grandpappys

• December 29, 2011 1:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE KILLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IN2011:)

• December 29, 2011 12:24 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't forget Craig Moore & GONN! Here they are rockin' St. Louis a couple years ago:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 29, 2011 11:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, Question Mark! When I saw him in New York last year, all the Mysterians, allegedly,were the originals and they were full of crazy energy. Here's a video of them playing "96 Tears" with an old dame named Ronnie Spector:

kopper said:

There are lots of bands still playing out with members in their 50s and up. The Fuzztones, D.O.A., The Cynics, The Fleshtones, The Chesterfield Kings... I'd bet all those guys are in their 50s. Nikki Corvette is still rockin', too. Take a look at the lineup for the recent Norton Records fest... The Real Kids (they ain't kids anymore!), the Great Gaylord, Andre Williams, The Sonics, ? and the Mysterians, Randy Fuller (Bobby's brother), Flamin Groovies, etc.

• December 29, 2011 11:11 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

in phoenix,there is a punk band called one foot in the grave.they are all senior citizens....and they kick ass!

• December 29, 2011 4:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 29, 2011 4:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....and this is the SUPER tune that got me into rock in the first place.......I heard it for the 1st time at age 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was never to be the saMe again, damaged for life, BUT I LOVE IT!!!!.....LONG LIVE R'N'R!!!:)

• December 29, 2011 4:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is the first performance since his hip replacement surgery in November 2009. There was a record breaking crowned of over 500,000 people on the Capitol lawn.

• December 29, 2011 4:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's the way to go........on with ROCK...at full speed...that's why rock will NEVER die, unlike many other "genres" (e.g disco crap:):)!!!)

Tom McLoughlin said:

Here's a bizarre but true story regarding this subject.  We just reformed THE SLOTHS at the end of this summer. All of us Sloth members we apart of the Hollywood Sunset Strip era of 1964 to 1966. No one knew that 'Makin' Love' the 45 the original group made in 1965 but was never released, had somehow been discovered and on the 'Back From The Grave 4' album. Nor did we know The Gories and other bands had covered it, or that an original single with sleeve had been sold for as high as $6550.00 on eBay.  We were all amazed. Ugly Things magazine just did a cover story on the group.  But the point is..all this led to us getting together again (in a garage, of course) and starting playing the songs exactly as we had 45 years ago. Some of us had not played, nor have I sang, in over 4 decades. But it was as if no time had passed. Now we're being booked in clubs and venues. The most surreal thing is we were all around 16yrs old back in the day. Now we're in our 60s playing the music of the 60s with more energy and passion than when we were teens. Too Old To Rock? Not yet, thank God.

• December 28, 2011 9:37 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Seen The Sloths twice both times their where bad ass!

• December 28, 2011 7:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Tom McLoughlin said:

• December 28, 2011 7:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 28, 2011 2:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What to say about the living legends, Little Richard and Chuck Berry:):):)!!!!

• December 28, 2011 2:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There are lots of bands still playing out with members in their 50s and up. The Fuzztones, D.O.A., The Cynics, The Fleshtones, The Chesterfield Kings... I'd bet all those guys are in their 50s. Nikki Corvette is still rockin', too. Take a look at the lineup for the recent Norton Records fest... The Real Kids (they ain't kids anymore!), the Great Gaylord, Andre Williams, The Sonics, ? and the Mysterians, Randy Fuller (Bobby's brother), Flamin Groovies, etc.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 28, 2011 10:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That cat's got 9 lives, man:)

SarahJayne said:

• December 27, 2011 5:10 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel