Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: What concerts did you attend recently or are on your list?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 10, 2011 3:59 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw a B52's TRIBUTE band , recently. They were on a bill with my friend , Patti Elvis. I'm not a  B52's fan. Liked 'em OK in the early 80's , not enough to buy their records. But , the band was entertaining , and the faux - Wilson sisters were real stunners. I could'nt leave.

The Cynics were great , despite soundboard hassles , and a crowd of about 30. A lot of  the other old F**ks like me , who normally make it to their shows , did'nt. But , it was good to see they have some younger fans. It was free pinball night , too , Hell , yeah !

Jerry Lee is playing Dec. 3 , moved up several months....If he does an all - Country set , I'd be just as happy.

Mina said:

They still perform? 

Scott Simpson said:

Last "proper" show I attended was Paul Weller a few months ago in Hollywood. And B-52's next to a lake over the summer.

• November 9, 2011 6:18 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Last "proper" show I attended was Paul Weller a few months ago in Hollywood. And B-52's next to a lake over the summer.

• November 9, 2011 2:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw the Cynics last Saturday night at the 31st Street Pub, and they put on a great show.

On a sad note, it may be the last time they will ever play at the Pub, because business has been bad at the venue and the owner is looking into selling the place.  The Pub was the place where I got my first taste of garage, i.e. Cynics, Swingin' Neckbreakers, and the Flestones, all in the summer of 2000.  I also saw the Dictators for the first time at the Pub in July 2001, and I discovered other bands such as Cobra Verde, Paybacks, and Manda and the Marbles at the Pub.  

• November 3, 2011 6:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

DFA '79 is a two piece (formally just death from above but had to add the '79 cuz i guess the name was taken)  with a bass player ripping on super distortion and a drummer/lead singer. They were a pretty big underground canadian band then broke up when they were getting really popular (started in 2001 broke up in 04, apparently they really hated each other) Bass player went on to form MSTRKRT (not really a fan of that) ANYWAY they put on an amazing live show and excited they got back together. They have a lot of electronic remixes out there so make sure your listening to an original not a remix. anyway enjoy.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LV_uSEJbc&feature=related
    • November 3, 2011 6:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kyla Marie , What are they like? Good name , if a little long. I've never heard of 'em.  If anyone cares , I remembered the third song of The Damned's set , last tuesday. It was "Antipope". Sounded good , too....

Kyla Marie said:

Pretty excited Death From Above 1979 is coming to vancouver in 3 weeks! was holding out for this tour cuz I didn't bother going to any of the major festivals they played in the summer.
    • November 3, 2011 6:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pretty excited Death From Above 1979 is coming to vancouver in 3 weeks! was holding out for this tour cuz I didn't bother going to any of the major festivals they played in the summer.
    • November 3, 2011 3:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Caught Wooden Shjps in Leeds a few weeks back. Excellent band but not the worlds liveliest performers!
    • November 3, 2011 10:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Komet a nice bar in Hamburg near the Reeperbahn with pretty good concert in the basement. Drinks and fun on a Tuesday night.
    • November 3, 2011 9:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah good fun. And the Japanese kids sure did have a good time! Fun to see Enoky from Jackie & the Cedrics push his way around such a manic crowd and SWANK DJ Hiroshi Sekiguchi get a piggy back ride through it all! I was at the Fri nite show here:

• November 3, 2011 5:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw Jon Von yesterday at the rehearsal, apparently it was a sucess !

there's some vids on youtube.

John Battles said:

Yeah ,you know what , I'm friends with one of The Rip Offs' sig - others. I KNEW THEY WERE GOING TO be the gai - jin band at a festival in Tokyo , but , I did'nt know what it was called .

Hope it's a success. Our friends in Japan need to have a good time , now , y'know ? 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

It's the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball that goes on every year in Tokyo. There are a ton of Japanese garage bands like Guitar Wolf, Jet Boys, The Go Devils, Jackie & the Cedrics and like 30 more... for 2 nites, first show is an all-niter. They usually have a special guest from overseas and this year it's the Rip Offs.

John Battles said:

Yeah , including Roy Loney and The Longshots and The Legendary Stardust Cowboy ! Or , no , waitaminnit that's the Ripoff Records show , is'nt it?

P.S. -THE CYNICS , NOV. 3 , BOTTOM LOUNGE , CHICAGO. Your only excuse is that you live 100 miles away , or more.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

The Rip Offs are playing with a slew of Japanese garage bands this weekend at the Back from the Grave Halloween Ball!
    • November 3, 2011 5:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Urban Junior is the hot shit from switzerland !!! best one man band since Bob log ...

Mina said:

I have decided. From now on I will only go to Voodoo Rhythm concerts, other wise I might get disappointed.
    • November 2, 2011 6:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....Cynics , tommorrow. Hope to see all THREE fans that I know. Malcolm should be here , but it's not his fault. Maybe they'll play his town. Maybe they'll be selling the new Nervebreakers  Get Hip reissue on 190,000 gram vinyl , as well as their own sweet ass merch. It's $5 to get in ! "Don't talk about it , all you do is...DO IT ! It's Rock'n'Roll , and the message is..DO IT ! TO IT !".        Dec 3 - Jerry Lee , Question Mark (Not in the sameplace.).
    • November 2, 2011 5:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Drove five hours to Pittsburgh for the Mud City Manglers 45 release show. 

• November 2, 2011 5:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MAGNETIX & YVY, October 26th...VIVE LA FRANCE!!!! with the estimated attendance of about 40 (or less) people...shame, shame, shame on my hometown!!!
    • November 1, 2011 6:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Had the great privilidge of not only meeting but hanging out with sky saxon (R.I.P. Dude) some years ago. a great & enlightenin' experience. but I really wanna see the chesterfield kings but don't know if they plan to play in the uk?
    • October 30, 2011 10:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , it would have been...Dave's wife told me he literally had to carry a guitar with him , everywhere he went , because people would stop him and ask him to sing a song , all the time. He was the lone monk who really wanted to be a star , and , on a local level , he was , before the monks were re - discovered (I mean , discovered.), and , then , when the band reformed , he got the chance to "Mach Schau" and really be what he always wanted to be , a Rock'n'Roll Star.

joey fuckup said:
      WOW! That would have been cool if that show had happened, though!

John Battles said:
      Joey , That's pretty cool. When SCOTS played at the first Estrus Shock (I think it was .) , the late , great , prince among men , Dave Day , of the monks , was tentatively set to do his regular Elvis act as "Elvismonk", with Southern Culture backing him. It did'nt happen , but , my Editor at Roctober , Jake Austen , was looking for him outside the venue (This was pre - monks reunion , but , they'd already met.) , and showed some people a current photo , asking if they'd seen him. A French guy said he'd been there and gone , signed a few autographs and left. Jake asked , how was he dressed? "HE HAD ON FULL MONKS COSTUME !!!" .
    • October 29, 2011 10:44 PM CDT
    • Untitled

WOW! That would have been cool if that show had happened, though!

John Battles said:
      Joey , That's pretty cool. When SCOTS played at the first Estrus Shock (I think it was .) , the late , great , prince among men , Dave Day , of the monks , was tentatively set to do his regular Elvis act as "Elvismonk", with Southern Culture backing him. It did'nt happen , but , my Editor at Roctober , Jake Austen , was looking for him outside the venue (This was pre - monks reunion , but , they'd already met.) , and showed some people a current photo , asking if they'd seen him. A French guy said he'd been there and gone , signed a few autographs and left. Jake asked , how was he dressed? "HE HAD ON FULL MONKS COSTUME !!!" .
    • October 29, 2011 7:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 29, 2011 5:04 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Actually, they aren't scheduled to play, BUT, it's known throughout the years that they have shown up to check out the show. A friend went last year and he saw Dave Hartman there, who I think was sitting in playing drums for Mad Tea Party. So, it's a good possibility that I will run into at least one of them!

John Battles said:

joey , Chapel Hill/ Are Southern Culture on The Skids playing?
      Sounds like fun. They never do anything in Chicago for Elvis Presley Death Week , or his Birthday.

joey fuckup said:

It's very possible I will be going to the Elvisfest event here in the States (Chapel Hill, NC), which is a celebration of Elvis Presley's birthday. It's a 2 nighter with a whole slew of bands from such genres as garage, psychobilly, country, punk, and surf. It's an annual show that's been running strong for around 13 years now I think. This will be the first one I've ever gotten to attend, and most notably, the Malamondos and Gojira-X are the top two acts I hope to catch. That will be in January, but after that, I'm not sure. It seems most good shows are out of town, so that means ROAD TRIP, which is a good thing!
    • October 29, 2011 3:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

joey , Chapel Hill/ Are Southern Culture on The Skids playing?
      Sounds like fun. They never do anything in Chicago for Elvis Presley Death Week , or his Birthday.

joey fuckup said:

It's very possible I will be going to the Elvisfest event here in the States (Chapel Hill, NC), which is a celebration of Elvis Presley's birthday. It's a 2 nighter with a whole slew of bands from such genres as garage, psychobilly, country, punk, and surf. It's an annual show that's been running strong for around 13 years now I think. This will be the first one I've ever gotten to attend, and most notably, the Malamondos and Gojira-X are the top two acts I hope to catch. That will be in January, but after that, I'm not sure. It seems most good shows are out of town, so that means ROAD TRIP, which is a good thing!
    • October 29, 2011 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I guess I shoulD add , Vanian reminded me of Chas. Laughton because he had a MONACLE.

The  Dyes (Look 'em up on youtube)did their yearly Cramps tribute , with help from members of Thee Invaders and The Bamalamas. It was great. It got very spooky , as "Lux" (Mike) accidentally hit "Ivy" (Lisa)with a piece of the mike stand , from behind ( She did'nt appear to be hurt.) . The exact same thing happened at The Cramps' penultimate Chicago gig in 2003 !

John Battles said:

Nice pic. If you scroll up , you'll see that I was there , too. I could'nt believe they did the first album , first , but I guess they wanted to get it out of the way. I've seen them 4 times since they started touring the States , again , in '97, and they've always put on a great show.

But , they also , generally have only done the two "Hits" from the 1st LP , "New Rose" and "Neat , Neat , Neat". Once , when they and The The Dickies blew the "Misfits" , Agnostic Front and Balzac from Japan (Who , at least ,were better at being The Misfits than The Misfits playing that night.) off the stage , they also did "See Her Tonight".But , I was looking forward to seeing them do the first album , live , even tho' it's not the original band (It's a real band tho' , and a very good one.). Oh , well. That's my lot. Dave looks like Lionel Atwill with that moustachue. I saw him on TV A YEAR OR TWO AGO , HE REMINDED ME OF A THINNER , UHHH , straight , version of Charles Laughton. But , I think that was more his theatrical mannerisms than his appearance.  

Brian Shapiro said:

Saw The Damned for the first time last Tuesday, great show

• October 29, 2011 1:32 PM CDT
    • Untitled

• October 28, 2011 8:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Cymbals Eat Guitars and they sucked. Attending the Norton 25th in a couple of weeks and Hot Snakes in December.
    • October 28, 2011 2:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool , I could've seen Hunter , too. But , I never got into his solo stuff that much , some of it....It was , like $40 , here. The Cynics are also playing in Chicago , next week. They can still tear the young upstarts a new one. Watch , listen , and learn. This is how it's done.

MikeL said:

For some reason, my response to this thread ended up in the costumes thread.  I don't know how that happened.

Anyway, I posted before that I saw Ian Hunter last night, and he put on a really good show.  He played one of my favorite Mott songs, "Roll Away The Stone," along with "All The Young Dudes" and "All The Way From Memphis."  My only complaint is that he didn't play "Once Bitten, Twice Shy."

Next week, I'm going to see the Cynics at the 31st Street Pub.

• October 28, 2011 2:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice pic. If you scroll up , you'll see that I was there , too. I could'nt believe they did the first album , first , but I guess they wanted to get it out of the way. I've seen them 4 times since they started touring the States , again , in '97, and they've always put on a great show.

But , they also , generally have only done the two "Hits" from the 1st LP , "New Rose" and "Neat , Neat , Neat". Once , when they and The The Dickies blew the "Misfits" , Agnostic Front and Balzac from Japan (Who , at least ,were better at being The Misfits than The Misfits playing that night.) off the stage , they also did "See Her Tonight".But , I was looking forward to seeing them do the first album , live , even tho' it's not the original band (It's a real band tho' , and a very good one.). Oh , well. That's my lot. Dave looks like Lionel Atwill with that moustachue. I saw him on TV A YEAR OR TWO AGO , HE REMINDED ME OF A THINNER , UHHH , straight , version of Charles Laughton. But , I think that was more his theatrical mannerisms than his appearance.  

Brian Shapiro said:

Saw The Damned for the first time last Tuesday, great show

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel