Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: "Me, the Mob, and the Music: One Helluva Ride with Tommy James

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 4, 2011 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently finished this book, and I really enjoyed it.  Tommy James writes at length about Morris Levy, the owner of Roulette Records who was heavily connected to the mob and was an inspiration for the character of Hesh Rabkin on "The Sopranos."  I just wanted to recommend it to everyone else.
    • September 5, 2012 12:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I found it very informative.....It's true , on some level , it seems to be more about Levy (Did'nt know he was the inspiration for Hesh - who seems like an angel by comparison. I actually thought he was based on Seymour Stein ! ). Someone else complained that it could have been better written , but , Tommy , a non - Author , had to tell the story , himself , once all the guys that could have killed him were dead. Tommy's non - hit stuff remains very interesting. Like the "In Touch" album , Glam revisited , six years before Joan Jett (Who , of course , scored big with a Tommy James cover that I personally , never dug.) did the same thing.

Tommy still puts on a rockin'  show , too.

• April 6, 2012 11:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you haven't read it yet, try your local library.  We enjoyed it, but not enough to add to the permanent collection.  Still, it is amazing what your library can get on interlibrary loan for free.

joey fuckup said:

Thanks for your recommendation on this. I've literally picked this book up twice at my Barnes & Noble here and debated on whether or not I should get it. I did read a review on it in either Shindig! or Ugly Things (can't remember), and it was mentioned that there was a large focus on Levy. The impression I got, though, was that it seemed to be more about him than Tommy James himself. Even though Levy played a huge role in James' career, what I'd like to know is do you feel like you get any insight into Tommy at all? I do like his music, especially his non-hits that oldies stations never played. (Do real oldies stations exist anymore?) I don't doubt this is a good read, but it may be one I'll be waiting to see if it hits the discount table.

• November 10, 2011 5:00 PM CST
    • Untitled

Thanks for your recommendation on this. I've literally picked this book up twice at my Barnes & Noble here and debated on whether or not I should get it. I did read a review on it in either Shindig! or Ugly Things (can't remember), and it was mentioned that there was a large focus on Levy. The impression I got, though, was that it seemed to be more about him than Tommy James himself. Even though Levy played a huge role in James' career, what I'd like to know is do you feel like you get any insight into Tommy at all? I do like his music, especially his non-hits that oldies stations never played. (Do real oldies stations exist anymore?) I don't doubt this is a good read, but it may be one I'll be waiting to see if it hits the discount table.

• September 15, 2011 1:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool:)  Hope you enjoy it.

Scott said:
      Thanks Mike. I heard Tommy James talk about his book on Loog Oldham's Underground Garage show. Sounds entertaining. Finally  picked it up. Hope to read it soon.
    • September 15, 2011 12:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks Mike. I heard Tommy James talk about his book on Loog Oldham's Underground Garage show. Sounds entertaining. Finally  picked it up. Hope to read it soon.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel