Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: key garage bands of 80s/90s

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 27, 2011 4:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

can anyone give us a potted history of the bands that flew the garage flag through out the wilderness years?

maybe break it down to early/late 80s and early/late 90s with suggested singles or albums.

beyond the gories, mummies and eternal stalwart billy childish my knowledge is a little lacking in this area.

• January 23, 2012 5:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hmmm --- '80's garage outta Boston... The Lyres (yes to the above)!, The Neats, The Prime Movers ('it's just a matter of time; damn, now I'm singin' it), Kenne Highland's Hopelessly Obscure -- check out the cover version of Rain of Death by the Broken Jug (no idea who they are) below, it ain't bad:

btw: I've seen The Prime Movers (NOT THE LA one) listed as a 'punk' band from Boston. I heard them play many times and they were always a garage band to me -- seriously, with that organ bamp bamp bamping? Nah. I'm sure I'm leaving out a fair few -- so many have been labeled punk retrospectively that I hesitate to list them here. Don't know why that has happened.

• January 16, 2012 4:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the no talents

• January 15, 2012 10:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Wildebeests are great! If you like Billy Childish, Masonics, and any of that Medway Sound, then the Wildebeests are your ticket.

The Pulsebeats said:

This is a great thread! Lots to hunt down. Anyone mention Scotland's The Wildebeests. Not sure exactly when they formed, but have been around a good while now. Dirty Water put out a retrospective last year that's definitely worth checking out.

• January 14, 2012 10:45 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Single-minded, a Big Beat singles anthology is worth picking up, got the Tall Boys, Delmonas, Stingrays etc. The Blood on the cats albums are worth picking up as well although they are also mixed with rockabilly/psychobilly, both scenes in the UK were very mixed at the time.

Also The Wigs did a couple of great singles, there was also a great compilation album on Media Burn the title of which escapes me, will dig it out later.

• January 14, 2012 8:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah I haven't yet checked out Thee Wildebeests (apart from on the Mark Lammar Show back in the day). I'm slow too much to fynde!

The Pulsebeats said:

This is a great thread! Lots to hunt down. Anyone mention Scotland's The Wildebeests. Not sure exactly when they formed, but have been around a good while now. Dirty Water put out a retrospective last year that's definitely worth checking out.

• January 14, 2012 5:49 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• January 14, 2012 5:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey this is where I shoulda been when I started a discussion on Psychobilly into Garage, (started in Trading Post, oops)... oh well , yeah I remember the UK scene pretty well (although still only a teen at the tyme).. one comp that did it for me was "Garage Goodies Vol 1" put out by the above mentioned Mike Spencer .

tracks by Surfadelics, X-Men ,Jailbirds ,Commuters (Bubble Car, brill), Change Lings, Legendary Vegetarians (did he make this stuff up?),Creepshow (Tilt A Whirl),Bad Karma Beckons, The Cannibals(Spencers band, whom were total TRASH, Yeah),Killed in Action (Vietnam, hillarious),Sting Rays(of course),Vertex,Milkshakes, Nips (Shane McGowans 1st band), Spots (Legalise Cannabis Campain,Sex Pistols On Tour) & finally The Codine Cowbys with Hoo Doo Man!

Si mon

• January 14, 2012 12:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WERE'NT THE SURFADELICS THE CANNIBALS IN DISGUISE? WRECKLESS ERIC SAID HE ALMOST JOINED A BAND WITH AN AMERICAN SINGER THAT WERE DOING STANDELLS , CHOCOLATE WATCHBAND , ETC. I ASKED , BY CHANCE , IF THIS WAS MIKE SPENSER HE WAS REFERRING TO.HE SAID , "YEAH. HOW'D YOU KNOW?" ...I ASKED IF THIS WAS BEFORE OR AFTER SPENCER'S BRIEF STINT IN THE COUNT BISHOPS . HE SAID , "mIKE SPENCER WAS IN THE COUNT BISHOPS?" 

Rob Poyton said:

I played in The Surfadelics in the mid-80s in London (not to be confused with the later, Italian band!) There was a big garage scene at the time, centered around the Clarendon at Hammersmith. I remember The Milkshakes, The Cannibals, Treatment (psychedelic)

• January 10, 2012 2:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

From Melbourne Australia, sorry if they are already mentioned.

The Bo weevils.
      The Breadmakers.
      The shindiggers.
      The Dirty Lovers.
      Turnaround.

All these bands recorded great records and were great live. There were many others that didn't release a record that were good too, and others that did record that have slipped my mind at the moment...

Another favorite of mine, this time from wollongong nsw, australia was the unheard
    • January 9, 2012 5:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not pure Garage but a lo-fi fav:

The Clean plus most of the other Dunedin Bands. Check out the Flying Nun Compilation!

Has anybody mentioned Jay Reatard beore?

• January 7, 2012 2:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh , The Damned did a whole album as Naz Nomad and The Nightmares , "Soundtrack to "Give Daddy The Knife , Cindy" " , a fictional 60's AIP - type Teen/Drug flick , mostly covers of Nuggets - era faves...I'm not saying you did'nt know that , but , if anybody did'nt , it's a good parody , the music actually works , and it even fooled the compliers of "The Acid Trip" book , who mentioned The Damned , separately !   (The Damned performed as Naz Nomad a few times , too...).

I met Vanian and Jugg when they were touring with Dave Vanian and The Phantom Chords . Roman Jugg was a super nice guy. Dave Vanian was cordial , a bit standoffish , but , pleasant enough. We were talking about the fact that his Birthday was coming up , and I noted that Bela Lugosi's Birthday was in close proximity to his. He said , "Yes , I know. I'm the same year as him , actually....... I mean , I was BORN in the year that he DIED.". FOR A MINUTE , i THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO TRY TO TELL ME THE VAMPIRE BIT WAS'NT A PUT - ON .

Dead Boy said:

Also, Vanian released "Tenterhook" with Roman Jugg, and as Naz Nomad And The Nightmares released "Just Call Me Sky" on a comp. "The Whip".

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Whip/release/525120

Both are cheap garage tunes.

• January 7, 2012 2:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree , Mudhoney was closer to the "Garage" side of the coin , than the stuff Sub Pop became famous for , or famously sold to bigger labels , but , I saw them once , on the strength of their first Sub Pop single , and walked out about 20 minutes into it. It did'nt  move me at all , and they did'nt acknowledge the crowd , once . Personally , I try to make eye contact with people I'm playing to , so they'll know I'm paying attention to them , and trying to get a feel for what they might like.....You can't do that with your eyes permanently shut , and your hair over your eyes , besides , something Cobain raised to an art form , later...The bassist , to his credit , moved around a lot , and kept his eyes opened ....Staring at a blank wall to the left of the stage.     I liked the "Sonic Boom!" book for the most part , and I knew Grunge would get a lot of coverage , that's OK , but , giving Fred Cole and Girl Trouble one sentence each ?! Makes you wonder who's minding the store....

KK Dirty Money said:

This is great! Good subject, good question, good responses. Thanks!

I guess I'll chime in as the "grunge guy""...

I always thought Mudhoney was a pretty cool band from the latter part of that era, along with some of the other Sub Pop bands from back then.

Look into the Sub Pop label for that Seattle slice of this pie. 

• January 7, 2012 10:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Funny how barely anyone mentioned The Oblivians here. They surely are one of my favorite bands from the 80s/90s and one of the keys bands at those times. Friggin amazing stuff. Also, can't forget about The Gories, The Mummies, Teengenerate, The Cynics (as mentioned before), Compulsive Gamblers and the list could go on. But those are my personal favorites from those times.

• January 7, 2012 7:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like The Neats, True West, The Real Kids, Infliktors, The Customs, The Flies, Del Fuegos, and of course The Boys From Nowhere.  Ace Of Hearts records! 

Ted

• January 6, 2012 3:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah! the lyres! and i remember the 3 o'clock..they were a big thing for me...got me into the jam....primal screams first record sonic flowersomethin or other...pussy galore!  the supersuckers....and the dwarves.....the 80's were great!

• January 6, 2012 2:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I reccommend these comps to get you started:

Children of Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the Second Psychedelic Era 1976-1996

Be a Caveman: The Best of the Voxx Garage Revival

Destination: Bomp! The Best of Bomp Records' First 20 Years

• January 6, 2012 1:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Amen.    Also THE BROOD , Fortune and Maltese and Thee Phabulous Pallbearers , Ten High , The Friggs , Royal Nonesuch , THE FLESHTONES !!!! (IF SOMEONE MENTIONED THEM , ALREADY , I APOLOGIZE.) , Droogs (They were there , first. Not my faves , but , gotta give it up ) , The C*nts , Hentchmen , 3-D Invisibles , Snake - Out , The Shitty Beatles (The originals.'85 - '87.) , Knoxville Girls , Huns , Stingrays , Prisoners , Pebbles , Mescaline Drive , Lithium Xmas , Peyote Cowboys (I don't do drugs , BTW.) , Deadmoon , and others I could think of , later , but , I can actually see THE SUN !     Goombye , please!

kopper said:

Let's not forget the Drags, the Cynics, the Devil Dogs, the Revelators, the 5.6.7.8's, Bantam Rooster, Cheater Slicks, Lord High Fixers, Jack o' Fire, '68 Comeback, the A-Bones, the Dirtbombs, the Stomachmouths, the Satelliters, the Raunch Hands, Honeymoon Killers, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, the Chrome Cranks, the Fall-Outs, the Subsonics, Sons of Hercules, the Barracudas, the Stems, the Real Kids, Lyres, DMZ, the Mono Men, Lightning Beat-Man's stuff (solo as well as w/ the Monsters), the Joneses, Dirtys, the Swingin’ Neckbreakers, the Humpers, the Spaceshits, the Royal Pendletons, the Reatards, Country Teasers, the Screws, Bassholes, the Insomniacs, the Kaisers, the Fleshtones, the Untamed Youth, the Von Zippers, the Woggles, the Fells, the Mullens, the Hentchmen, the Boss Martians, Sugar Shack, the Dukes of Hamburg, the Mortals, the Nomads, (early) Dwarves, the Compulsive Gamblers... and the OBLIVIANS!!

Also, it should go without saying that we're also including the Cramps on this list.

• January 6, 2012 12:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

my favriots (not including the ones mentiond in the discussion at the start) are the gruesomes and the fuzztones

• June 13, 2011 11:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Did anybody mention Pussy Galore or other Jon Spencer stuff?
      (sorry if these were already mentioned... this thread is getting lengthy...)
    • June 11, 2011 1:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well? HELLO JOHNNY GOODBYE??! - I'm interested in what you have taken from this discussion since you started it. What have you learned? What do you think about the feedback you've received? Let us know.
    • June 10, 2011 6:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

cool... Somebody once mentioned a band called the Nomads with Damned members in it to me and I wasn't sure for about that one. Did they do a full album or just a single?

Mike said:

Don't know if the Del Monas were mentioned. And maybe doesn't really count, but the Damned as Naz Nomad & the Nightmares.

• June 10, 2011 2:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah - anything by greg cartwright :)

Jay Ryder said:
      The Compulsive Gamblers!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel