Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Which '60s punk compilations are a must-have?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 6, 2010 8:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks do you, I decided to keep my 60s Garage and Psych LP collection and best of all, I even decided to buy new records on CD, something I haven´t done in a long time. Going through my records and CDs I browsed through all these Mindrockers, GPUs, Pebbles, Nuggets, Boulders and and and and was wondering what´s your favorite one.
      In the beginning mine was Pebbles, then later on Back from the Grave and Garage Punk Unknowns,....today...I can´t decide anymore...but some I can hear over and over again, are "No No No: 28 Moody, Somber and Tragic '60s Garage Rock Sagas" from Arf! Arf! Records and "Now hear this: Garage and Beats from the Norman Petty Vaults" from Big Beat. But there are so many more...

• July 20, 2011 3:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

well, just take a look at cryptrecords.com and you'll be fine, hehe
    • July 7, 2011 7:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I really like the Back from the Grave compilations, as well as Uptight Tonight.  For Australian Garage the 'It's a Kave In' comp is great.
    • July 7, 2011 6:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

indeed...even after all these years they are still the best...especially the last one

Gary Patrick Norris said:
      back from the grave is the best, imo. solid through each of the 8 volumes. hard to do.
    • July 7, 2011 6:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

back from the grave is the best, imo. solid through each of the 8 volumes. hard to do.
    • November 22, 2010 7:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You, mademoiselle, have impeccably good taste!

Isabella Gloria said:
      'No No No' isn't my favorite, but to each his own (; BFTG is a MUST MUST MUST have! All garage.. 'noisy and unpsychedelic'! Probably my favorite series. The volumes of the Quagmire series are bitchin' too, especially the first one. Also try some 'Psychedelic States' comps.. Alabama vol. 2 and Mississippi are the best I think! Morgan was right about the TS comps--a lot of the songs are just filler, but my favorite is vol. 4 ('I'm a No-Count!'). 'Get Lost #3' is real raw, but I don't think there are other volumes.. 'Lost Generation vol. 2' is the better of the installments. Trash Box is GREAT and if you ask me, the crappy quality is what MAKES it great. All the 'Garage Beat' volumes have some absolutely amazing songs, but most of them can be found on other comps. And of course, OF COURSE, 'Fort Worth Teen Scene' vols. 1, 2, and 3! And if we're talking about single-volume comps, 'Hang It Out To Dry!' is one of my absolute favorites ever, as well as 'Total Raunch'. 'Searchin' in the Wilderness' is a comp of faaar out European garage. 'Scum of the Earth' is one side of crazy garage and one side of crazy junk.. but it's all good save for a track or two :p Okay I'll try to contain myself from anything further & let other people answer (; but those are my favorites!
    • November 22, 2010 7:00 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

pebbles and back from the grave
    • November 22, 2010 12:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Cambodian Rocks from Parallel World.
    • November 21, 2010 3:33 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All the Back from the Grave stuff for me really as no psych filler just pure Garage Punk.
    • November 20, 2010 7:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a #9?!

Dana V. Hatch said:
      Garage Punk Unknowns #9 one side of wacky vocal tracks and one side of killer instros. The Nuggets box is a perfect jumping-off point for new converts. And as Tim Warren pointed out, BTFG #8 would be one of the best if it contained
      the Chancellors' "On Tour" and nothing else but it has 27 more great songs.
    • November 20, 2010 7:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

uptight tonight, freakbeatfreakout, not garage but as good,chocolate soup for diabetics, psychotic moose and the soulsearchers are a few ive got as well as BFTG, garagebeat 66, nuggets, teenage shutdown. scream loud, the fenton story. its great discovering these comps, you never know what might turn up next.
    • November 19, 2010 8:43 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Of course...BFTG is still top of the range, but try the Teenage Shutdowns...really profound Garage...but lookingt at G45s selection (http://www.finerecordingstudio.com/g45/) I still miss so many...

Gonzo said:
      I'm diggin the back from the grave albums atm. Seem a bit more raunchy than the nuggets/pebbles counterpart.
    • November 19, 2010 4:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm diggin the back from the grave albums atm. Seem a bit more raunchy than the nuggets/pebbles counterpart.
    • November 18, 2010 2:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alex said:
      I second that choice. Fantastic comp. It's got a young, unknown Jimmy Page as session musician, it's got the Muswell Ravens (the Kinks before they were the Kinks), and a ton of great tracks by bands like Q65, The Outsiders, etc.

Hey i thought you might like to know there's a book coming out on Q65 next week (which i wrote) published by Ugly Things magazine.
      greetz Pim

http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/uglythings/the-97/Q65--dsh--Th...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr9d17h4Xl4
      Isabella Gloria said: 'Searchin' in the Wilderness' is a comp of faaar out European garage.
    • November 18, 2010 2:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Garage Punk Unknowns #9 one side of wacky vocal tracks and one side of killer instros. The Nuggets box is a perfect jumping-off point for new converts. And as Tim Warren pointed out, BTFG #8 would be one of the best if it contained
      the Chancellors' "On Tour" and nothing else but it has 27 more great songs.
    • November 18, 2010 5:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks...even if I own most of the songs either on LP or CD I will try to get it, shame non of the links works anymore
    • November 15, 2010 6:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I second that choice. Fantastic comp. It's got a young, unknown Jimmy Page as session musician, it's got the Muswell Ravens (the Kinks before they were the Kinks), and a ton of great tracks by bands like Q65, The Outsiders, etc.

Isabella Gloria said: 'Searchin' in the Wilderness' is a comp of faaar out European garage.
    • November 14, 2010 7:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm really digging the Joe Meek Freakbeat comp...perfect man for the job! Too bad he blew his stack shortly thereafter, though.
    • November 14, 2010 4:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A British comp I like a lot that has about five or six really amazing tracks on it is called "I Walk The Lonely Night: 20 Obscure Gems From The British Beat Era" from Psychic Circle. The title track is great. And I love Bachelor Boy by Lee Bennett and the Sunliners and "It's My Problem" by the Chevlons. Both are on my playlist at the moment if you want to hear them. Great for minor key love song types. Also, if you don't mind a bunch of really REALLY choice 50s songs mixed in with your 60s then get Songs The Cramps Taught Us Vol. 1 - 3. Some of the songs on those are so amazing I don't even know where to start. A few you've heard before but still well worth it. Hardly a dud on the whole series. In the old days they were called "Born Bad" but the BB CDs only had 14 tracks a piece on them. STCTU have well over 20 songs a piece.

Peter Best said:
      Hi Isa and Morgan

sorry for the late reply...but the September flu. Thanks a lot for your posts. Of course the BFTGs are the best, I own the records and the CDs but thanks to your tip I found the FWTS on iTunes and indeed they are great. Raw, simple and
      mono. Must admit, have never heard before about the Teenage Shutdowns, but ordered them right away from Amazon.

In any case...thanks again

Isabella Gloria said:
      'No No No' isn't my favorite, but to each his own (; BFTG is a MUST MUST MUST have! All garage.. 'noisy and unpsychedelic'! Probably my favorite series. The volumes of the Quagmire series are bitchin' too, especially the first one. Also try some 'Psychedelic States' comps.. Alabama vol. 2 and Mississippi are the best I think! Morgan was right about the TS comps--a lot of the songs are just filler, but my favorite is vol. 4 ('I'm a No-Count!'). 'Get Lost #3' is real raw, but I don't think there are other volumes.. 'Lost Generation vol. 2' is the better of the installments. Trash Box is GREAT and if you ask me, the crappy quality is what MAKES it great. All the 'Garage Beat' volumes have some absolutely amazing songs, but most of them can be found on other comps. And of course, OF COURSE, 'Fort Worth Teen Scene' vols. 1, 2, and 3! And if we're talking about single-volume comps, 'Hang It Out To Dry!' is one of my absolute favorites ever, as well as 'Total Raunch'. 'Searchin' in the Wilderness' is a comp of faaar out European garage. 'Scum of the Earth' is one side of crazy garage and one side of crazy junk.. but it's all good save for a track or two :p Okay I'll try to contain myself from anything further & let other people answer (; but those are my favorites!
    • September 16, 2010 10:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Adding to the list:
      Digging for Gold
      Boulders
      Trans-World Punk
      Rubble
    • September 13, 2010 7:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Isa and Morgan sorry for the late reply...but the September flu. Thanks a lot for your posts. Of course the BFTGs are the best, I own the records and the CDs but thanks to your tip I found the FWTS on iTunes and indeed they are great. Raw, simple and mono. Must admit, have never heard before about the Teenage Shutdowns, but ordered them right away from Amazon. In any case...thanks again Isabella Gloria said:
    • September 6, 2010 9:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 6, 2010 1:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Pebbles trash box (though they sound like sh*t quality wise) have many gems that I don't think are comped anyplace else. Many comps have a few fantastic tracks and a lot of mediocre ones in my opinion. Like if you could take The Girls In The Garage or the Fuzz Flaykes & Shakes and narrow all the best songs down to just one CD you'd have an absolutely amazing and essential comp. Outside the ones you mentioned I rarely find one that has more than a few songs that are truly indispensable. The two glaring exceptions are Teenage Shutdown ~ The World Aint Round It's Square and Teenage Jangler Blowout. Those were the first two garage comps I ever bought and after listening to the rest of the TS series I realized that I had just by accident picked out the best two! IMHO

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel