Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any glam rock fans around here?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 28, 2012 2:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

MIming is a rip-off of licence payers money.

Frank S said:

I believe that's right and miming for sure.  Just part of the fun for me.

Chris Henniker said:

Top Of The Pops? They were all miming, though this might be for contractual reasons.

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_-L1wVVZA

• June 28, 2012 1:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I believe that's right and miming for sure.  Just part of the fun for me.

Chris Henniker said:

Top Of The Pops? They were all miming, though this might be for contractual reasons.

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

• June 28, 2012 1:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Frank S said:

• June 28, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 25, 2012 7:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Wow, Vsparks are cool. Thanks for that link!

• June 24, 2012 9:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As I mentioned before, I really like Prima Donna, and another band that has a glammish sound is Biters.

Matt said:

I love glam, but I think it had it's day. Not too many bands these days can pull it off as well as Hello, Mott, Slade and so on. An era of decadence helped to make it a bit more special. Giuda are pretty cool, not much else that comes to mind for current bands. Maybe I'm just unaware? What would you consider some good current glam bands?

• June 23, 2012 11:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I love glam, but I think it had it's day. Not too many bands these days can pull it off as well as Hello, Mott, Slade and so on. An era of decadence helped to make it a bit more special. Giuda are pretty cool, not much else that comes to mind for current bands. Maybe I'm just unaware? What would you consider some good current glam bands?

• June 21, 2012 8:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have not been as regular as I like with my participation here (the general here that is GaragePunk Hideout) so maybe someone else who is around more and participating in this thread because of a love of glam could run with this idea: it would be cool if there was a Garagepunk hideout comp that was strictly new (and good) glam.

• June 21, 2012 7:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool! I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, I can hear that too. Was thinking... I've got to put my '74 goggles on (borrow the keys for the Wayback Machine from Kopper) and try to see how radical that band was in Australia in '74. They would have looked like they were from another planet! Wish I knew more about them, but haven't found a whole lot.

Winter in Oz means it's time to head to the pub and hear some rawk -- stout weather --. Now, if only we could get the WARDENS to play Adelaide.... hint hint hint...

Tuning in online Joanie! Mel

• June 21, 2012 6:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey Melissa, I'm listening again and you know what modern day band I'm getting? Buck Cherry?  Which for me isn't a bad thing but might make others cringe. And they kind of look like Death Angel with the multi-cultural members.  Cool stuff.

Hope all is well your way.

melissa scott said:

Yeah, a bit o' Aussie RAWK. I just dig the live version -- the way they're getting with the crowd and clearly having F.U.N. Glad you GOT THE FEELIN'.

Go the Late Riser's CLUB! *waving to Joanie in Boston*

Mel

Joanie Lindstrom said:

What a great song.  They look glam but the sound is more of a straight forward AC/DC or Status Quo style (at least that tune).  I think I'll play it on my show this morning (if anyone's interested, http://laterisersclub.org at 10AM Boston time).

melissa scott said:

Did someone say GLAM? Here's some for ya...

HUSH, 1974, "Get the Feelin"

I need that sequin outfit... :D

• June 21, 2012 6:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, a bit o' Aussie RAWK. I just dig the live version -- the way they're getting with the crowd and clearly having F.U.N. Glad you GOT THE FEELIN'.

Go the Late Riser's CLUB! *waving to Joanie in Boston*

Mel

Joanie Lindstrom said:

What a great song.  They look glam but the sound is more of a straight forward AC/DC or Status Quo style (at least that tune).  I think I'll play it on my show this morning (if anyone's interested, http://laterisersclub.org at 10AM Boston time).

melissa scott said:

• June 21, 2012 6:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

melissa scott said:

• June 20, 2012 10:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , I completely forgot The Cherry Bombs. This would have been early 90's , after the Cherry Bombs split up....I never cared for them much , I guess I should give 'em another chance , after 25 + years....I have a cassette of their somewhere , but , never played it. They did "Hot Girls' in Love" WTF!!! But this was a short lived band . Nasty Suicide may not have been involved.

Duke Of Earl said:

Hes on TV? I never realized he reached that level of fame. Over there though bands that are obscure here win awards, so it must be completely different what music is popular in foreign countries.

I think that last band you mentioned might have been the CherryBombz. If thats what band you meant, I wouldnt have went either I guess. 

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• June 13, 2012 3:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

He played in an early Japanese band before joining the Arrows? Sounds interesting. Vodka Collins, hmm. 

John Battles said:

I met Allan Merrill last year at a Group Sound Forum. What an amazing career he's had , from becoming the first major White, Male solo singing star in Japan , to....Hell , what's the name of the Group Sound band her was in(?) , to working with members of  The Spiders , Golden Cups , Tigers , etc., and Tetsui Yamamuchi (I know , I spelled it wrong) before the latter joined Free and The Faces , to forming Japan's first Glam BAND , Vodka Collins (Long out of print on Man's Ruin , but, look for 'em , anyway.) to becoming a star with Arrows in England . He said they did very well on the continent , too , but , Mickie Most never got them the U.S. deal he'd promised them. BUT , they replaced The Rollers on their TV show (Tho they were'nt allowed to release anything at the time.).  And , this song , eclipsed by a cover version , about 6 OR 7 YEARS LATER.

Daniel M said:

The Velvet Tinmine comp was mentioned on the first page. Did anyone post this yet:

• June 13, 2012 3:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hes on TV? I never realized he reached that level of fame. Over there though bands that are obscure here win awards, so it must be completely different what music is popular in foreign countries.

I think that last band you mentioned might have been the CherryBombz. If thats what band you meant, I wouldnt have went either I guess. 

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• June 11, 2012 8:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Danny Dollrod Kroha is a Schlong Rocker. That's not a put down , he's a good friend of mine. And , if you see him in "Plastercaster" , you'll know he's a VERY good friend to someone. In any case , The Demolition Dollrods were , as a friend once described Black Oak Arkansas , "Voluptuous. Even the males !".

Duke Of Earl said:

BRIARD, yeah. Miss World CD with bonus track is really good. Better than Pelle. They re-pressed a Briard 45 too. All Finnish imports though Im afraid. 
      John Battles said:

Thank , Thank , Thank , Thank you Duke , Duke Duke , Duke of Earl...

There's a short interview with  Brett Smiley , by Greg Prevost , in the new Ugly Things....I did'nt know his proposed album was finally released in '03. I thought he was dead , but , then I found out he's still in NYC , PERFORMING WHEN HE'S PHYSICALLY ABLE (HE HAS HIV , BUT , NOT FULL BLOWN AIDS) ..... Well , of course , "Schlong Rock" would have to start with Black Oak Arkansas , then Iggy Pop , in general ,and , well , I don't go around lookin' at 'em too much , to tell the truth. GPH member and Battlefraynt , James Porter , interviewed Syl Sylvain , and had the nuts to ask him "Did you and Johnny stuff for that picture onthe backof the first Dolls ALBUM?" , TO WHICH HE REPLIED "DID WE STUFF?! JOHNNY WAS ITALIAN , AND I'M JEWISH ! OF COURSE WE DID'NT STUFF !!!". THERE YA GO.  Syl also told me a cop confronted Johnny , because he was wearing that same red leather suit in that photo. The Policeman thought Johnny had a bag of POT down his pants, when he saw the lengthy protrusion , and demanded that he take his pants off . "AH AIN'T GAAHHT NO UNDAWEAH !!!" , PROTESTED THUNDERS. THE COP SAID , DROP 'EM , JUST THE SAME . AND BOY , WAS HE SORRY HE DID ! He probably can't even look at the elephants in the zoo , anymore .

Briard? was that Andy and Michael Monroe's early band? I heard they were great , bu t, I've never actually heard them

Duke Of Earl said:

Schlong rock, hahah. It be neat if anyone could comprise a list of top10 schlongrock bands, and also the defining qualities seperating "butt" from said "schlong"rock genre.

Glad Im reminded that blackie lawless was in Kane band. Might have forgot about that one. Wasp was definately schlong-metal Id say.

You sure have a brilliant mind for details John. I enjoy reading your posts. Apparently Peter Frampton was the guitarist on Jobriaths debut I read. Funny to see the Jobriath vids. Cracks me up. I kinda liked Jobriath though. Damn entertaining. 

What are the best underated/unknown UK Glam acts. All kinds sprang up in the mid 70s. Im curious to find more Brett Smiley material, like how do you get the tune cherry hookers. I also wonder about his band vice.

Andy Mccoy s band briard I thought was a punk gem as well. Tuff to the songs from the other finnish album he did pre-hanoi. Still searching it out(no home internet which which makes this quite the task) .Theres some fuzzy youtube vids though.

John Battles said:

i WAS THINKING THE SAME THING....Not Metal , but Hard Rock. I'm certainly not a fan (Tho' David Lee's book is HILARIOUS.), But , I'd never call them Glam
      .... Glam was over by the time VH's first LP came out (Early '78?). Whoever was still around from that era had moved on to other things , or reworked their sound , drastically ( "Love is Like Oxygen " , while a good song , is miles removed from "Hellraiser" or 'Ballroom Blitz". Of course , David Lee Roth got his schtick from Jim Dandy , so maybe , instead of , or along with , "Butt Rock" , we should call it "Schlong ROCK"..

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Not at all IMHO.  I'd say hard rock.

• June 11, 2012 8:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think you're right , but , I forget.....I like Kugelberg's column.
      Daniel M said:

I thought Johan Kugleberg did something about rare glam in Ugly Things but I could be imagining that. I don't have any of the issues with me right now.

Duke Of Earl said:

Oh btw briard/pelle miljoona isnt realy glam, just brought it up because it was hanoi related. Makes me wonder now about any good unheard glam bands/albums. I fear that many of the bands aping that style may have been more toned down like baycityrollers stuff, not sleazy or gender bending enough to be all that amazingly glammy.    

• June 11, 2012 8:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Duke Of Earl said:

The Fnords said:

• June 11, 2012 8:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I met Allan Merrill last year at a Group Sound Forum. What an amazing career he's had , from becoming the first major White, Male solo singing star in Japan , to....Hell , what's the name of the Group Sound band her was in(?) , to working with members of  The Spiders , Golden Cups , Tigers , etc., and Tetsui Yamamuchi (I know , I spelled it wrong) before the latter joined Free and The Faces , to forming Japan's first Glam BAND , Vodka Collins (Long out of print on Man's Ruin , but, look for 'em , anyway.) to becoming a star with Arrows in England . He said they did very well on the continent , too , but , Mickie Most never got them the U.S. deal he'd promised them. BUT , they replaced The Rollers on their TV show (Tho they were'nt allowed to release anything at the time.).  And , this song , eclipsed by a cover version , about 6 OR 7 YEARS LATER.

Daniel M said:

The Velvet Tinmine comp was mentioned on the first page. Did anyone post this yet:

• June 8, 2012 5:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I thought Johan Kugleberg did something about rare glam in Ugly Things but I could be imagining that. I don't have any of the issues with me right now.

Duke Of Earl said:

Oh btw briard/pelle miljoona isnt realy glam, just brought it up because it was hanoi related. Makes me wonder now about any good unheard glam bands/albums. I fear that many of the bands aping that style may have been more toned down like baycityrollers stuff, not sleazy or gender bending enough to be all that amazingly glammy.    

• June 8, 2012 4:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Duke Of Earl said:

BRIARD, yeah. Miss World CD with bonus track is really good. Better than Pelle. They re-pressed a Briard 45 too. All Finnish imports though Im afraid. 
      John Battles said:

Thank , Thank , Thank , Thank you Duke , Duke Duke , Duke of Earl...

There's a short interview with  Brett Smiley , by Greg Prevost , in the new Ugly Things....I did'nt know his proposed album was finally released in '03. I thought he was dead , but , then I found out he's still in NYC , PERFORMING WHEN HE'S PHYSICALLY ABLE (HE HAS HIV , BUT , NOT FULL BLOWN AIDS) ..... Well , of course , "Schlong Rock" would have to start with Black Oak Arkansas , then Iggy Pop , in general ,and , well , I don't go around lookin' at 'em too much , to tell the truth. GPH member and Battlefraynt , James Porter , interviewed Syl Sylvain , and had the nuts to ask him "Did you and Johnny stuff for that picture onthe backof the first Dolls ALBUM?" , TO WHICH HE REPLIED "DID WE STUFF?! JOHNNY WAS ITALIAN , AND I'M JEWISH ! OF COURSE WE DID'NT STUFF !!!". THERE YA GO.  Syl also told me a cop confronted Johnny , because he was wearing that same red leather suit in that photo. The Policeman thought Johnny had a bag of POT down his pants, when he saw the lengthy protrusion , and demanded that he take his pants off . "AH AIN'T GAAHHT NO UNDAWEAH !!!" , PROTESTED THUNDERS. THE COP SAID , DROP 'EM , JUST THE SAME . AND BOY , WAS HE SORRY HE DID ! He probably can't even look at the elephants in the zoo , anymore .

Briard? was that Andy and Michael Monroe's early band? I heard they were great , bu t, I've never actually heard them

Duke Of Earl said:

Schlong rock, hahah. It be neat if anyone could comprise a list of top10 schlongrock bands, and also the defining qualities seperating "butt" from said "schlong"rock genre.

Glad Im reminded that blackie lawless was in Kane band. Might have forgot about that one. Wasp was definately schlong-metal Id say.

You sure have a brilliant mind for details John. I enjoy reading your posts. Apparently Peter Frampton was the guitarist on Jobriaths debut I read. Funny to see the Jobriath vids. Cracks me up. I kinda liked Jobriath though. Damn entertaining. 

What are the best underated/unknown UK Glam acts. All kinds sprang up in the mid 70s. Im curious to find more Brett Smiley material, like how do you get the tune cherry hookers. I also wonder about his band vice.

Andy Mccoy s band briard I thought was a punk gem as well. Tuff to the songs from the other finnish album he did pre-hanoi. Still searching it out(no home internet which which makes this quite the task) .Theres some fuzzy youtube vids though.

John Battles said:

i WAS THINKING THE SAME THING....Not Metal , but Hard Rock. I'm certainly not a fan (Tho' David Lee's book is HILARIOUS.), But , I'd never call them Glam
      .... Glam was over by the time VH's first LP came out (Early '78?). Whoever was still around from that era had moved on to other things , or reworked their sound , drastically ( "Love is Like Oxygen " , while a good song , is miles removed from "Hellraiser" or 'Ballroom Blitz". Of course , David Lee Roth got his schtick from Jim Dandy , so maybe , instead of , or along with , "Butt Rock" , we should call it "Schlong ROCK"..

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Not at all IMHO.  I'd say hard rock.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel