Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown... discuss

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 3, 2013 4:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, just looked, amazon have em. kingdom come the original crazy world album remastered and even a cd version of the vinyl i have. its called strangelands..
      everyone should have a copy of the original good for letting off steam. A stress buster it is.
      naz nomad said:

He had a band in the 70's called Kingdom Come. They did Galactic zoo dossier, a self titled album & Journey. The dossier is the most freaky one. He went for a drum machine on one album & sent some stuff to John Peel in uk which John played on radio (And is included on the (Dare I Say it) CD..). There was also a vinyl release of material which he recorded after the crazy world stuff & Bam Caruso a St. Albans UK record company released it in the 80's or 90's. I have a copy salted away & all I can remember was it was weird. One track was called The life-jacket is under your seat or something like that. I should get it out & re-listen it's been ages since I heard it. If I do I'll let you all know more...He's a Yorkshireman & a star.

John Battles said:

His Kingdom Come (HIS WILL BE DONE.)output , and various solo albums was released on.....I forget the label. A friend just sent me his album with Vincent Crane on CD. I don't know if his album with Jimmy Carl Black was ever reissued. I should've bought it at the time. From there , you're getting into mostly or all CD. THE ABORTED SECOND CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN ALBUM "Strange Worlds" was released on vinyl on Reckless , I think , 1988. Yes , Reckless as in the record store in London , Chicago , and formerly San Francisco and Evanston , Ill. I don't know if it was reissued on CD. IT'S A GREAT ALBUM. MAYBE BETTER THAN THE FIRST.  There's a Live at The Marquee CD from 10 or 15 years ago , a career spanning effort. Plus , Arthur did a fantastic duet with Phil May on The Pretty Things' 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIVE DVD/CD.

ratoonie said:

Dont really Know what is rarer:....my friend had a copy of Fire on a 45.... Atlantic,......I've had 2 copys of the Clown-star album...... both were cut-outs & both were on Track...
      has any of his stuff been re-issued on CD??????
    • July 3, 2013 3:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

He had a band in the 70's called Kingdom Come. They did Galactic zoo dossier, a self titled album & Journey. The dossier is the most freaky one. He went for a drum machine on one album & sent some stuff to John Peel in uk which John played on radio (And is included on the (Dare I Say it) CD..). There was also a vinyl release of material which he recorded after the crazy world stuff & Bam Caruso a St. Albans UK record company released it in the 80's or 90's. I have a copy salted away & all I can remember was it was weird. One track was called The life-jacket is under your seat or something like that. I should get it out & re-listen it's been ages since I heard it. If I do I'll let you all know more...He's a Yorkshireman & a star.

John Battles said:

His Kingdom Come (HIS WILL BE DONE.)output , and various solo albums was released on.....I forget the label. A friend just sent me his album with Vincent Crane on CD. I don't know if his album with Jimmy Carl Black was ever reissued. I should've bought it at the time. From there , you're getting into mostly or all CD. THE ABORTED SECOND CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN ALBUM "Strange Worlds" was released on vinyl on Reckless , I think , 1988. Yes , Reckless as in the record store in London , Chicago , and formerly San Francisco and Evanston , Ill. I don't know if it was reissued on CD. IT'S A GREAT ALBUM. MAYBE BETTER THAN THE FIRST.  There's a Live at The Marquee CD from 10 or 15 years ago , a career spanning effort. Plus , Arthur did a fantastic duet with Phil May on The Pretty Things' 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIVE DVD/CD.

ratoonie said:

Dont really Know what is rarer:....my friend had a copy of Fire on a 45.... Atlantic,......I've had 2 copys of the Clown-star album...... both were cut-outs & both were on Track...
    • July 30, 2012 7:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ratoonie said:

• July 24, 2012 6:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

SO HARD ON THE YUPPIES....

This is where open-mindedness comes into it!! The Reagan-oriented, conservative, disco music-listening lot called the YUPPIES of the 80s would never have accepted such farout music Like Arthur's.....it wouldhave "ruined" their puny little conservative minds, poor little grubs:):):):)!!!!!

"Are you experienced?!":):):)

• July 22, 2012 10:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

oo!oo!      "RIP OFF" IS KINDA HARSH , BUT , I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT , AS FAR AS GILLAN LEARNING HIS SHRILL SCREAMS , IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM ARTHUR BROWN. sCREAMING IN TUNE!!!!  Arthur is out playing , again , with a new version of The Crazy World. When i SAW HIM IN '86 , HE HAD SOME YOUNGER GUYS THAT DID THE EARLY STUFF JUSTICE. (THE OPENING BAND WAS MOST OF MOUSE AND THE TRAPS , BUT , DOING R'N'B STANDARDS. NOT TOO EXCITING.).  IN FACT , THEY DID ALMOST ALL OF THE FIRST ALBUM , PLUS "THE TELL - TALE HEART" , "EYESIGHT TO TEH BLIND", "SPEAKNOTECH" AND OTHERS.  hE DID A STUPENDOUS "GREEN MANALISHI (WITH THE TWO PRONGED CROWN) " ON A PETER GREEN TRIBUTE , SEVERAL YARS AGO. MAKES AN ASS OF PRIEST'S VERSION.

DO YIU MIND ? DO YOU MIIIIIIIIIIND?!".

Gunther Toody said:

I can't tell you how much Arthur Brown and that first album mean to me...THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN was one of the first 10 albums I ever bought as a kid. There was an article with great color pics of Arthur live in EYE magazine and the cool colorful cover of the LP and that was all my adolescent mind needed to invest my saved lunch money in what has to be the most psychedelic 60's rock record with no guitar on it. Vincent Crane was amazing and the weird strings and horns that pop in occasionally are really cool. Anybody else hear the rumor that Pete Townsend played the bass in a last minute time crunch? And does anybody else think that Deep Purple's Ian Gillian kinda ripped off Arthur's distintive screamin' technique? Which is rarer...the Atlantic issues or the Track issues?
    • January 29, 2012 5:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

iF ANYONE'S READING THIS....i FINALLY FOUND BROWN'S LAST STUDIO CD , WHICH i DON'T THINK WAS EVER RELEASED IN THE STATES . It's very good , more acoustic , but , his voice still reaches for the cosmos , only to return for a lager or two at the pub....

• December 30, 2011 1:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YES , I LIKE "THE GREAT SPONTANEOUS APPLE CREATION" , "REST CURE", ETC. But I think of him in terms of albums , The (Unreleased) second Crazy World album (Finally released on Reckless.) is terrifying , The Kingdom Come stuff (Galactic Zoodossier , Journey , etc.) is great , early Space Rock , like his soulmates , Hawkwind (Arthur does a number on Rob Calvert, From Hawkwind's "Captain Lockheed" LP , which also features most of Hawkwind , including Lemmy , and members of The Pink Fairies , as well.......). Arthur's take on "The Green Manalishi (With The Two - Pronged Crown)" from the Peter Green tribute album , is extraordinary !    The other day , I FINALLY found Arthur's last release (To my knowledge) , "Voice of Love"...I don't think it was even released in the US. It's a very personal , low key affair , but , he gets some great screams in , as well as some phenomenal poetry.

Did you know Arthur had a service in Austin , where he and a Psychiatrist would discuss a patient's problems , and Arthur would write and record an original song as a therapeutic device , for the patient to keep ? All for only $100 !!! I'd have done it !   Strangely , the service , which proved highly successful , was not called "Rest Cure".

• December 30, 2011 1:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BUT , ALSO AN EVIL TOM JONES !

ratoonie said:

i absolutly Love that colorful albuum w/ the star on it....i dont have access to it right now.. its in storage..way up in sacramento.. i saw him on the tom jones show... my aunt bought the album 4 me from a bargin bin at the supermarket... its a great record!!!! kinda English version of alice cooper!!!!!
    • October 25, 2011 2:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In addition to "Fire", I think "Nightmare", "The Great Spontaneous Apple Creation", "I Put A Spell On You" and especially "Rest Cure" are his best tunes. I've always wondered if anyone ever sampled the bassline from "Rest Cure"...maybe Madlib?
    • October 22, 2011 7:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Nightmare...the song that started this discussion is pretty great.

Ben Simon said:
      What would you say are his best songs other than "Fire?"
      I would say , "The Great Spontaneous Apple Creation" , "Spirit of Joy" (Kingdom Come), and Arthur also did a great version of "The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)on the Peter Green tribute (2) CD, "Rattlesnake Shake". But , it's hard for me to narrow it down to one song , because most of his albums are built around a central theme , and go from one point to another , almost seamlessly. The unreleased second Crazy World album , "Strange Worlds", recorded in '68 or '69 , finally saw the light of day on Reckless Records (UK) in 1988  , if I'm not mistaken...I have'nt listened to it in a long time , but I remember it being scarier and more Psychedelic than the first.
      Brown also had a great song on the late Rob Calvert(From Hawkwind)'s "Concept" album "Captain Lockheed" which is a fine Psych/Space Rock effort all around , with pretty much all of Hawkwind (Including Lemmy !) and several of The Pink Fairies.
      Destroy All Monsters covered "The Right Stuff" from this LP.
    • October 2, 2011 4:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I SHOULD'NT HAVE BEEN SO HARD ON THE YUPPIES.....
      IN THIS CASE !!!!....THE FRATBOYS WERE A LOT WORSE.
      John Battles said:

When my Brothers , and our friends , and I , were kids , we used to listen to 45s down in our basement playroom. We'd turn the lights out , and listen to "Fire". It'D scare the piss out of us ! I thought he was a Black man at the time. He had a lot of Soul and R'n'B in his voice. Somebody called him a cross between Tom Jones , James Brown and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. I'D GO ALONG  WITH THAT , PLUS SOMETHNG OF HIS OWN THAT NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO TOUCH , SINCE..... I had the pleasure of seeing Brown perform in Dallas in 1986. He was living in Austin at the time , recording and painting houses with his good friend , the late Jimmy Carl Black. I learned , much later , that Black was there , but , not performing with the band. The very poorly promoted gig was attended by about 30 people. A good percentage of them left after he did "Fire" . Morons. Brown dragged himself across the stage , in a straight - jacket , one eye blacked out , and proceeded to sing the opener ,  "The Tell - Tale Heart" , probably the only reason you need to own an Alan Parsons album. Nahhhh , there were some other good songs on that Poe "Tribute" album ("Tales of Mystery and Imagination"). The macabre mood was already set , and , while he did nearly all of his first album , he was quick to point out , "This is not a nostalgic night. It is a creative one". He also performed some of his later "Speaknotech" - era Electronic music , possibly some Kingdom Come , and a powerful "Eyesight To The Blind " , which should have been given entirely to him ,the vocal spot , I mean , in "Tommy".

He proved a masterful dancer , as well as singer , and , yes , when he did do "Fire" , he stood on stage in a top hat , no longer a helmet , that burst into flames. Can't do that , today. The Fire Marshalls would probably ban him for his singing , alone , today. Bear in mind that midway thru the set there were probably 12 or 15 people in the audience. But , he delivered an unforgettable show. A few months later , Arthur Brown did another , lowkey , show , at a much  smaller venue in a complex called The Dallas Alley. The assembled jocks , rednecks and yuppies that had basically claimed that territory for their own put me off the idea of ever going there again. I did'nt mind them being there , if they left me the Hell alone , but , that , in itself , was an impossibility. Rumors of tolerance in that town in the 80's , in particular , are greatly exaggerated.

• October 2, 2011 3:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree. Great photos. Looks like Arthur has returned to the traditional fire helmet. He's one of those people , like Little Richard , for instance , who uses his voice as an instrument. A weapon of mass destruction.

Check out The Pretty Things' 40th Anniversary DVD , if you can . Arthur and Phil May toast each other , each trying to outdo the other , not bragging about themselves , but , each other , on the otherwise done to death "Hoochie Coochie Man".  When Arthur goes into his Evil Tom Jones bit , telling you just how bad this man , Phil May , really is , he looks like he's about to go up in flames.....The Glastonbury Fayre film features his underrated Space Rock BAND , Kingdom Come , playing a top a steep hill. Three crosses (Representing Christ and the two thieves.) are literally set on FIRE !!!!!

It did'nt mean what it would have , here.        The cancelled Pretty Things / Arthur Brown /Malchicks US tour was such a vast , vast disappointment. I did'nt even return my ticket . I HOPED IT'D SERVE AS A REMINDER THAT THE TOUR WOULD HAPPEN , SOMEDAY.

sleazy said:

I can safely say, after listening to music for eons, that take any Arthur Brownsong and you won't be disppointed with his personal brand of psychedelic music:). But you must be vry open-mnded whn listening to AB!!!):)

• October 2, 2011 1:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nightmare...the song that started this discussion is pretty great.

Ben Simon said:
    • October 2, 2011 6:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can safely say, after listening to music for eons, that take any Arthur Brownsong and you won't be disppointed with his personal brand of psychedelic music:). But you must be vry open-mnded whn listening to AB!!!):)

• October 2, 2011 1:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 2, 2011 12:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So bizarre that somebody picked up on this discussion today of all days.  The Classic rock station (groan) in my area was having a "British" weekend and played this song this morning (somehow it didn't get on the Psychedelic Saturday hour that happens every week, so the DJ that came after played it not long after the show ended) but it was also my song of the day of a countdown (of 100 songs) I'm doing on my facebook page.  I only do one song a day on my countdown (started last week and goes until December 31) unlike last year where I did 10 songs a day for the last week of December and today, it was FIRE!
    • October 1, 2011 2:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When my Brothers , and our friends , and I , were kids , we used to listen to 45s down in our basement playroom. We'd turn the lights out , and listen to "Fire". It'D scare the piss out of us ! I thought he was a Black man at the time. He had a lot of Soul and R'n'B in his voice. Somebody called him a cross between Tom Jones , James Brown and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. I'D GO ALONG  WITH THAT , PLUS SOMETHNG OF HIS OWN THAT NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO TOUCH , SINCE..... I had the pleasure of seeing Brown perform in Dallas in 1986. He was living in Austin at the time , recording and painting houses with his good friend , the late Jimmy Carl Black. I learned , much later , that Black was there , but , not performing with the band. The very poorly promoted gig was attended by about 30 people. A good percentage of them left after he did "Fire" . Morons. Brown dragged himself across the stage , in a straight - jacket , one eye blacked out , and proceeded to sing the opener ,  "The Tell - Tale Heart" , probably the only reason you need to own an Alan Parsons album. Nahhhh , there were some other good songs on that Poe "Tribute" album ("Tales of Mystery and Imagination"). The macabre mood was already set , and , while he did nearly all of his first album , he was quick to point out , "This is not a nostalgic night. It is a creative one". He also performed some of his later "Speaknotech" - era Electronic music , possibly some Kingdom Come , and a powerful "Eyesight To The Blind " , which should have been given entirely to him ,the vocal spot , I mean , in "Tommy".

He proved a masterful dancer , as well as singer , and , yes , when he did do "Fire" , he stood on stage in a top hat , no longer a helmet , that burst into flames. Can't do that , today. The Fire Marshalls would probably ban him for his singing , alone , today. Bear in mind that midway thru the set there were probably 12 or 15 people in the audience. But , he delivered an unforgettable show. A few months later , Arthur Brown did another , lowkey , show , at a much  smaller venue in a complex called The Dallas Alley. The assembled jocks , rednecks and yuppies that had basically claimed that territory for their own put me off the idea of ever going there again. I did'nt mind them being there , if they left me the Hell alone , but , that , in itself , was an impossibility. Rumors of tolerance in that town in the 80's , in particular , are greatly exaggerated.

• October 15, 2010 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dont git rid of nothin!!!!
    • October 15, 2010 12:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had this album when it came out in the 60's. Did it ever come out on CD? I got rid of most of my vinyl about 16-17 years ago, the last time I had to move many heavy crates of records. I put a lot of coins into the jukebox to play "Fire" when it was popular. Really takes me back!
    • September 1, 2010 2:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It is very likely Pete Townshend played bass on it. He played bass for Thunderclap Newman another Track Records/ Action Managment project from the same era. He used the pseudonym "Bijou Drains" with Newman. Gunther Toody said:
      I can't tell you how much Arthur Brown and that first album mean to me...THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN was one of the first 10 albums I ever bought as a kid. There was an article with great color pics of Arthur live in EYE magazine and the cool colorful cover of the LP and that was all my adolescent mind needed to invest my saved lunch money in what has to be the most psychedelic 60's rock record with no guitar on it. Vincent Crane was amazing and the weird strings and horns that pop in occasionally are really cool. Anybody else hear the rumor that Pete Townsend played the bass in a last minute time crunch? And does anybody else think that Deep Purple's Ian Gillian kinda ripped off Arthur's distintive screamin' technique? Which is rarer...the Atlantic issues or the Track issues?
    • August 31, 2010 5:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, there was a CD re-issue on Polydor that had the original a-side in mono with slight but noticable differences in some of the tracks and were a little longer, then the entire album in stereo. It sounds really good. ratoonie said:
    • August 28, 2010 4:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 28, 2010 4:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 9, 2010 7:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

check out the tiger bar!!!!! ratoonie said:
      hey stry....ever been in Portland??????......Fuck ........the people r really cool there!!

ratoonie said:
      i absolutly Love that colorful albuum w/ the star on it....i dont have access to it right now.. its in storage..way up in sacramento.. i saw him on the tom jones show... my aunt bought the album 4 me from a bargin bin at the supermarket... its a great record!!!! kinda English version of alice cooper!!!!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel