Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Favorite albums from the first Punk era, '76-'80

Back To Topics
    (1 rate)
    • December 30, 2010 6:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Let's see how well you write in Indonesian.

Johnny Bean said:

Man your English is terrible, maybe you could write in your own language and we could understand you better?

Its Not Only Rock n' roll said:
      Sex pistols...The Adverts, Ramones...to punk has gone...
      The clash is not for one of them
      Great hits for the album

Johnny Bean said:

For the all the albums listed here if you want a good sampler the "NME Best of the 70s" is a greatest hits of all the albums mentioned on this thread (Stooges,Saints,Ramones,Dead Boys etc) most of the song choices are pretty obvious but its a great snapshot of those glory days and has been my top Christmas listening.

• December 30, 2010 6:04 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

anything by penetration
    • December 30, 2010 5:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Man your English is terrible, maybe you could write in your own language and we could understand you better?

Its Not Only Rock n' roll said:
      Sex pistols...The Adverts, Ramones...to punk has gone...
      The clash is not for one of them
      Great hits for the album

Johnny Bean said:

For the all the albums listed here if you want a good sampler the "NME Best of the 70s" is a greatest hits of all the albums mentioned on this thread (Stooges,Saints,Ramones,Dead Boys etc) most of the song choices are pretty obvious but its a great snapshot of those glory days and has been my top Christmas listening.

• December 29, 2010 3:59 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• December 28, 2010 9:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Wire's Pink Flag
      The Real Kids Self Titled
      Ramones Rocket to Russia
      The Jam All Mod Cons
    • December 17, 2010 11:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And my two penneth..

The Real Kids first album

V2 - Vibrators

I'll take the first 2 Saints albums as well

X-Ray Spex album

and not a punk (or any kind of rock -except kraut) La Dusseldorf  - a fine album!

• December 16, 2010 2:47 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I bought "Station of the Crass" in LP vinyl in the beginning of 1980, and I used to listen to it near the end of 2010. It's my favorite punk album, a little bit sharp maybe ....

• December 15, 2010 7:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

-Adverts "Crossing The Red Sea"

-Saints "(I'm) Stranded"

-Ramones' first three albums + "It's Alive"

-Damned "Damned Damned Damned"

-Dead Boys "Young Loud & Snotty"

-Crime "San Francisco's Doomed" (released in 1992, but featuring recordings from 1978-79)

-Pagans "Everybody Hates You"

-The Cramps "Songs The Lord Taught Us"

-The Misfits "Static Age" (recorded Jan 78, released 1995) & "12 Hits From Hell" (recorded 1980, officially unreleased)

-Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers "L.A.M.F."

-Suicide "Suicide"

-X Ray Spex "Germ Free Adolescents"

-Radio Birdman's first two albums

-Stiff Little Fingers' first two albums

-Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruits For Rotting Vegetables"

-D.O.A. "Something Better Change"

-Boy Next Door "Door, Door"

• December 14, 2010 1:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Lenny i already got the English version, it's great fun to finally read it in bookform. The humor of the Dutch still stands i was worried it might not cause English (usa) is such a diffrent language but luckily that's ok.
      Been spinning Trippin thru a Midnight Blues by Cuby myself.
    • December 14, 2010 10:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have seen The Misfits-Static Age on this thread a few times. I just have to point out that, despite being recorded back in this era, the album never even saw the light-of-day until the 1990's. Considering this fact, I find it hard to include this album as a definitive 1st era album.
      Ted said:

Ramones- 1st album, Sex Pistols- Nevermind the Bollocks, Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers- L.A.M.F., Misfits- Static Age, Dead Boys- Young, Loud, and Snotty, The Damned- 1st album & Machine Gun Etiquitte...so many more that I can't think of right off the top of my head.
    • December 14, 2010 8:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I'm good Pim, hope you're havin a nice spin of Gen X's best of...I've been blasting out such Dutch 60s punkers as Cuby+Blizzards' 'Sunshine Of Your Shadow' and the great Fun Of It's 'Silly Baby' and 'Drollery' 45s, yeah not quite in this '77 punk zone I know, but still amazing nonetheless!!! And we know just how punk Q65 were don't we? Talking of which have you got any copies of the English-translation version of the books yet? Can't wait to see that! Cheers Lenny

Pim Scheelings said:

Hey Lenny how are you? i got Gen X (best of) on vinyl here time to spin it once again.
    • December 14, 2010 7:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Lenny how are you? i got Gen X (best of) on vinyl here time to spin it once again.
    • December 14, 2010 6:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Hey Pim, yeah I agree...I don't mean to pit them against each other...Yeah Your Gen, and Day By Day are great, as are ready Steady Go and Wild Youth...I'm glad you now diggin The Adverts, one of the very best, most non-agenda-bearing? punk rock groups from the day, in my very own humble opinion!!!

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Hey Pim, good to hear that you liked what you heard.  They just "speak to me" for some reason and were a little different than the rest of the bands back then.  I'll plug myself and our show (every Mon-Fri. from 10-noon Boston time, I'm on Thurs) if you want to hear new and old punk and general loud stuff, http://www.laterisersclub.org.

To Lenny, I almost think it's unfair if you start listing all the singles vs. full albums.  You'd hope that any band has 1-2 great songs in them.  But seeing Generation X in your list makes me think that that first LP was pretty fine and 'Your Generation' and 'Day by Day' are two of my faves.  And Slaughter's Cranked and Bootboys are two great tunes.

Pim Scheelings said:

Hey Joanie i'd never heard of the Adverts. listened to them on you tube and instandly liked it thanx for the tip!
    • December 14, 2010 6:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

And coincidentally, I am too and the Adverts are playing as we speak.  If you know some Dutch bands who fit the format, have them send us their music.  We do love the foreign punk rock.

Pim Scheelings said:

listening to an old show from dec 9 now cool!

• December 14, 2010 6:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

listening to an old show from dec 9 now cool!

• December 14, 2010 6:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joanie i'll see if i can tune in on thursday just have to check what time it is in Holland

• December 14, 2010 6:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey Pim, good to hear that you liked what you heard.  They just "speak to me" for some reason and were a little different than the rest of the bands back then.  I'll plug myself and our show (every Mon-Fri. from 10-noon Boston time, I'm on Thurs) if you want to hear new and old punk and general loud stuff, http://www.laterisersclub.org.

To Lenny, I almost think it's unfair if you start listing all the singles vs. full albums.  You'd hope that any band has 1-2 great songs in them.  But seeing Generation X in your list makes me think that that first LP was pretty fine and 'Your Generation' and 'Day by Day' are two of my faves.  And Slaughter's Cranked and Bootboys are two great tunes.

Pim Scheelings said:

Hey Joanie i'd never heard of the Adverts. listened to them on you tube and instandly liked it thanx for the tip!
    • December 14, 2010 5:52 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 14, 2010 5:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Yeah I agree with what lots of folks are saying here re- '77 - '79 LPs etc...I love The Adverts, hardly a duff sound in there...also The Flys 'Bunch Of Fives' EP, and their Love And A Molotov Cocktail 7", Johnny Moped 'No One', The Nosebleeds 'I Ain't Bin To Music School', Slaughter and The Dogs' 'Cranked Up...', The Radiators From Space 'Television Screen' and 'Enemies' 45s - they were really great live too, saw em opening for Thin Lizzy, wow, eek...also The Drones, The Pigs, Killjoys, Eater, Gen X's 'Perfect Hits' private press 7" EP thing too...The Fun 4, Bee Bee Cee, The Scaars 'Adultery' / 'Horrorshow' coupling is hard to beat too...waaarrrggghhh so many great records never heard by enough people...keep it coming

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Even tho a few people have mentioned The Adverts - Crossing the Red Sea, I think of that record as overlooked in the "best punk of all time" discussions.  Also the first three Ultravox records are pretty amazing.

Duke Of Earl said:

I'd be interested to know what people think are the most under rated and/or overlooked punk rock LPs/EPs from this time. 

• December 14, 2010 5:38 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Even tho a few people have mentioned The Adverts - Crossing the Red Sea, I think of that record as overlooked in the "best punk of all time" discussions.  Also the first three Ultravox records are pretty amazing.

Duke Of Earl said:

I'd be interested to know what people think are the most under rated and/or overlooked punk rock LPs/EPs from this time. 

• December 14, 2010 5:14 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

1. Ramones - Ramones

2. Ramones - Leave Home

3. Clash - Clash

4. Damned - Damned Damned Damned

5. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks

6. X Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolsecents

7. Dead Boys - Young Loud and Snotty

8. Blondie - Blondie

9. Generation X - Generation X

10. Sham 69 - Tell Us The Truth

• December 10, 2010 5:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well duh, they come from garage-land...ah-ah-ahhh
    • December 10, 2010 5:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 10, 2010 3:51 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So much better stuff from that time period. Theres so many great albums that were/are unknown outside of the areas where they played to most people. 

• December 3, 2010 3:09 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Feederz "Jesus" EP
      Gun Club "Fire of Love" (1981)
      Crime "Hot Wire My Heart" / "Baby You're So Repulsive" 7"

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel