Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Introductions (for newbies)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 18, 2012 9:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Greetings Earthlings!

Just joined, and I'm enjoying looking around. I'm from Melbourne Australia, and played in bands during the 8s and 9ts, including The Reckers (Psychobilly), Unclean Spirits (garage punk) and the Daredevils (garage punk). Looking forward to kickin' back and enjoying the distortion....1.2.3.4!

• June 14, 2012 5:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ok im gregor(fells like AA this bit!)im 30,iv been a mucic addict since forever,pretty much anything you can think of ill have listened to(maybe),the only music i dinne really like is main stream "indie",kasabian,kieser chiefs that kinda limp wristed bullshit.my two biggest loves are dirty as hell lofi garage and southern hiphop,.

im an artist,well trying to be,and thats about all really.cheers.

ps-i posted a thread earlier and its never appeared,anyone any ideas why?

• June 2, 2012 10:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey,

New guy here.  I'm 34 and from Massachusetts.  Used to play guitar in a few punk bands around here.  Been trying to get back in to jammin, looking for the right people. I found the podcasts via Google, and figured I would join.   Pretty awesome place you got here. 

• June 1, 2012 4:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey guys,

I'm Gio, a 21 year old student in NYC. I was born in Lima, Peru and recently discovered the country's huge garage rock scene (Los Saicos, Los Yorks, etc). I've been into garage for a few years now, with some of my favorite bands being Reigning Sound, The Gories, Jay Reatard and The Remains (feel free to add me on Last.fm!).

I've been playing guitar for a while now and would love to start up a band if anyone in the NY/NJ area is interested. I also recently started a online magazine, which I'm trying to expand and create more content for, so check it out: Mr. Lee Magazine

I'm currently on vacation in Lima, but I look forward to posting more regularly and meeting some of you once I'm back home. 

• May 31, 2012 1:00 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Hi! We're a band from Indianapolis started by two friends while drinking and watching the movie "Midnight Madness". Eddie Deezen plays the leader of a nerd scooter gang in the movie. Being fans of Eddie's other work as well (in addition to being a little bit nerdy ourselves), we decided to name the band DEEZEN. We actually have Eddie Deezen's blessings upon our band name and pen pal with Eddie about what the band is doing, ect. We love the garage, rock and roll, and early punk sounds of the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. We play originals and a few covers here and there of songs we like by the Sonics, the Pagans, the Cramps, the Kinks, Link Wray, Saucers, and so on. Glad to be part of a community of like minded people. We have a recording on our profile page if you want to check it out!

Cheers! - Rev. Dr. Doomtone of DEEZEN

• May 17, 2012 2:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Don- I love that 60sgaragebands.com it's a great archival site.

Always, Always is a beautiful song, as is Give Your Love To Me. I'll have to go back later to read up on you and your mates, but seriously, it's nice to have this site available to all.

Don said:

Good idea starting this thread Bazza. I'm just learning my way around this site trying to figure out the best way to introduce myself and say "hi."

I've been playing guitar since the early sixties. Was part of 'the scene' back then but sort of dropped out for a time.  My story, if anyone is interested, was put together by Mike Dugo about a year ago (found here http://www.60sgaragebands.com/abstracts.html and here http://www.60sgaragebands.com/tiltonsmarket.html )  In any case I never stopped playing and writing; I just changed my focus and did it for myself, my family and a few friends.

Recent events with my `60s band The Abstracts (including the recent release of an album -- see here http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/uglythings/the-157/ABSTRACTS--... ) has reawakened me I guess -- made me aware that I am hardly alone in my musical tastes! And it is that, probably more than anything, that brought me here!

I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you folks here.  Thanks for listening. :)

• May 17, 2012 11:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm Rob in Phoenix, Arizona, US. I started off hardcore and (cough, cough) metal, and worked my way backwards to the 60's punk roots. I've been called a punk rock snob. If a deep rooted dislike of Epitaph Records and FAT Records makes me a snob, then I guess I am. I've been playing guitar and bass for about 30 years and my left hand relaxes in the barre chord shape because I never learned much more. It turns out I'm not the virtuoso I thought I was supposed to be. I've started an internet radio station http://radiofreak-out.com that I play mostly pre '84 punk music on. I thought about playing mostly 60's Garage and Psych but that niche is being pretty well covered. There aren't many 'punk' stations that WON'T play Rancid or Pennywise though. So that's the niche I'm after.

• May 17, 2012 6:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good idea starting this thread Bazza. I'm just learning my way around this site trying to figure out the best way to introduce myself and say "hi."

I've been playing guitar since the early sixties. Was part of 'the scene' back then but sort of dropped out for a time.  My story, if anyone is interested, was put together by Mike Dugo about a year ago (found here http://www.60sgaragebands.com/abstracts.html and here http://www.60sgaragebands.com/tiltonsmarket.html )  In any case I never stopped playing and writing; I just changed my focus and did it for myself, my family and a few friends.

Recent events with my `60s band The Abstracts (including the recent release of an album -- see here http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/uglythings/the-157/ABSTRACTS--... ) has reawakened me I guess -- made me aware that I am hardly alone in my musical tastes! And it is that, probably more than anything, that brought me here!

I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you folks here.  Thanks for listening. :)

• May 15, 2012 8:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All i have is the Gift Of Knowledge disc with them thar ne'er do wells and judy and the loadies. I know a girl named Kendrak had a Ne'er Do Wells site for a while. If you can find it there might be some links there.

Ray Bentos said:

any links for ne'er do wells? had a tape years ago that i lost and have never been able to find anything since

Steve said:

I'm Steve currently living in Culver City. I started playing music in 7th (1976 or so) grade and never got over it. Most recently I played in a two man combo in Oly, WA with Matt Murillo from the Houston TX based Ka-nives and Jr. Varsity. In Oakland, CA the Beatcombers with Ron Silva from The Crawdaddys and countless other bands. Not so current I played in the Hi-Fives with John and Chris from the Ne'er Do Wells and what not.

In '97 I worked for Revolver, USA Music Distribution and one of the labels we distributed was Crypt. That's when my record collection grew and listed toward what it has become today.

But now I gotta go make dinner for my kids. 

• May 15, 2012 7:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

any links for ne'er do wells? had a tape years ago that i lost and have never been able to find anything since

Steve said:

I'm Steve currently living in Culver City. I started playing music in 7th (1976 or so) grade and never got over it. Most recently I played in a two man combo in Oly, WA with Matt Murillo from the Houston TX based Ka-nives and Jr. Varsity. In Oakland, CA the Beatcombers with Ron Silva from The Crawdaddys and countless other bands. Not so current I played in the Hi-Fives with John and Chris from the Ne'er Do Wells and what not.

In '97 I worked for Revolver, USA Music Distribution and one of the labels we distributed was Crypt. That's when my record collection grew and listed toward what it has become today.

• May 15, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 11, 2012 1:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alright my name is Wayne, I was born and raised in Thunder Bay On. Canada... I am 35 and have myself a happy little family.

For fun I do a radio show(couple times a month) on the local campus/community station www.luradio.ca on Thursdays 10-Midnight eastern standard time

I play in a band called Reverb Bomb we just put out an album... 

http://reverbbomb.bandcamp.com/

I also play bass in a Space Rock/Psychedelic called Murray!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeXQN3ZtqQ

• May 9, 2012 1:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hello there Everyone, I'm originally from Potsdam, (East) Germany but now live in Plymouth, UK. Ended up down here via Berlin, Scotland, Ireland, Oldenburg (GER) and a short stint in Nottingham. There's a nice little scene down here, big enough not to leave anyway and at near enough 31 I think I may just settle down. I'm not in a band and no intention to as can't make music to save my life (not even of the punk kind) so won't be pluggin my band now. I like music that's a bit messy or has an edge, though which usually falls into the Rock/Punk category of some sort and also 60s and 60s inspired music and other shtuff that I can dance or just jump around to like a looney, eg. ska. Love the Hideout but am still getting lost in here somehow, so much to discover. Looking forward to getting in touch with people on here more at some point. What else? Oh, like the total stereotype (not) ... I work in an office as an administrator ;)

• May 9, 2012 12:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My name is Tucker and I have been playing bass in garage rock band The Demon Beat for the past 6 years. We've toured a lot and put out several records during that time. I'm also in the alt-country band Prison Book Club, and the punk rock band NU, as well as just starting up my own project under the name of Bishops.

I've been running the indie label Big Bullet Records for the past 4 years now, and it's been a great experience. I'm here to check out some sweet music I may not know about, as well as spread any info I can on the West Virginia rock and roll scene to those who may be unfamiliar.

http://thedemonbeat.bandcamp.com

http://www.bbrwv.com

http://bigbulletrecords.bandcamp.com

• May 8, 2012 3:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Josephine,

I visit Norwich quite often, be great to go Cave In. My friends (the despondents)have played with Beast with a Gun. I DJ and play quite often at a monthly Garage night in Leeds called Bloodstains with my band The Sultones. There was a band recently from Norwich called Duke and his all drunk Orchestra (I think) Kinda like the Dead Brothers/Tom Waits etc. What are you're band called? if you ever want a gig Leeds way, let us know, cheers Pete.

sonicmama said:

Hi Peter, I live in Cromer now, was born in Norwich. Yeah my boyfriend's friends used to do Thee Coffin Club! There isn't a lot but another friend runs Cave In which is a monthly pysch, beat, r'n'b etc night which is a bit of a hidden treasure! The Norwich garage scene is rubbish but we are hoping to do a small gig at Olives in july for my birthday and get the Higher State to play with a local band called Beast with a Gun, so keep your eyes peeled!

• May 8, 2012 6:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Bazza. Winston Texas over in Cumbria here (50 this year). Good idea this post, you might want to check out this thread as it made me smile.

http://garagepunk.ning.com/forum/topics/how-often-do-you-meet-people-in-person-with-your-music-taste .  

I haven't met one person round these parts who like this music who has even heard of surf except bizarrely an old lady in Lancaster who loved gogo dancing in the early 60's

I'm writing my own stuff under the AGENT TWANG!! name you'll find some of my tunes on my page. Been trying to put together a band for the last year without success but won't give up. Great that you have like-minded players to work with & looking forward to checking out your links. Cheers.

• May 7, 2012 10:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Peter, I live in Cromer now, was born in Norwich. Yeah my boyfriend's friends used to do Thee Coffin Club! There isn't a lot but another friend runs Cave In which is a monthly pysch, beat, r'n'b etc night which is a bit of a hidden treasure! The Norwich garage scene is rubbish but we are hoping to do a small gig at Olives in july for my birthday and get the Higher State to play with a local band called Beast with a Gun, so keep your eyes peeled!

• May 6, 2012 6:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

where do you live peter? Im from that way to (little village about 30 miles from peterborough).

• May 6, 2012 2:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Sonicmama,

Thanks for the add, What part of norfolk are you in? I'm from there originally, Thetford to be precise. Have been living in Yorkshire for the past 20 odd years though, have 2 girls as well. Any garage type events in norfolk? There used to be a club in Norwich called 'The Coffin Club' my band almost played it a one point, but broke up before we had the chance.

Pete

sonicmama said:

Ola! My name is Josephine and I live in Norfolk, UK. I have 2 little children aged 3 1/2 and nearly 2. Not been on this site for long, known of it for ages and listened to podcasts but getting disillusioned by Facebook and would rather talk to more normal people on here! Anyway I was into blues for a long time and suppose it all went from there, I love soul and RnB as well and obviously a load of other stuff, mostly on my profile, errrr hate filling these things out... I also like taking pictures, reading, the beach (I live right by it), usual stuff I guess! Studying a health and social degree at the moment. Would like to be a nurse some day but have to work evenings when my kids are in bed so it's taking a bit of time! So yeah. Add me if you want to chat!

• May 6, 2012 3:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rohan O'Fukenshite? It seems that you have singlehandedly established a new high standard of coolness for rocknroll names. Wow. Mr. O'F., you are currently without peer in this regard. Could it be that you are a member of the Irish gentry, like Barry Lyndon? Were you in that movie? Were you in THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS or DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS? You SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Think how cool your name would have looked in the credits. Seriously, I am now, like, automatically interested in Quiffs N Coffins. Would you believe: there was actually a COFFIN STORE in a partially-occupied strip mall near my house. It folded. Now you have to go to the Trappist Monastery in Dubuque to get a decent box. But they're very nice. I wonder-what would it take to get Quiffs N Coffins to play in the CORN ZONE of the central US? You could really mess with people's heads here. They're not even sure what Ireland IS! The US is ripe, in more ways than one, for a band of your, uh, predilections. How do I know this? A ROCKIN' BAND with a neon-creepy ghoulvibe would just fit the zeitgeist, pun intended (I firmly believe that wretched puns are a lingering symptom of LSD damage, but I digress). Still playing my CRAMPS LPs, Kevin Edwin Kral, 2603 Falbrook Dr. NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA 52402-2603. ps. any stickers?

Quiffs N Coffins said:

Hiya guys. 

We are a punk/psychobilly band from Ireland called Quiffs N Coffins. 

Love the site, hope to be a contributing member of the community :)

All the best.

Rohan O'Fukenshite

• May 2, 2012 8:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hullo, y'all. I registered on GaragePunk Hideout many months ago, then stupidly forgot about it. Since then I''ve discovered possibly the coolest anti-FaceBook around! Seriously, this thing is flat-out amazing. It's nice to finally get off the deserted island and find my people!

Am 43 years old (still above ground and taking nourishment), living in the hairiest armpit on the planet, Cleveland. Well, maybe Youngstown is hairier.

I was a Beatles fan as a child (thanks to that 70s two-fer "Rock and Roll Music", the one with the stoopid thumbs on the edges), then a hardcore Kinks fan, then scored the Pretty's American debut LP at a Chicago record show for a buck (complete with simulated stereo...oof), and then all bets were off.

A few additional life-changers: The Who Sings My Generation, Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Pebbles Vols. 1, 2 and 3, Searching In the Wilderness V/A LP, and those early Bam-Caruso comps.

I was splitting my time between 60s garage and 70s punk, complete with mohawk and ungrounded outlook. Scoured used record stores and flea markets, played in bands, scoured used record stores and flea markets, mmmmmm...GIRLS...evolved into an all-world class clown...did I mention scouring used rec- uhhh, never mind.

Had a couple 60s garage rock radio shows, one at Northern Illinois University in the mid-80s, then an early mid-life crisis extravaganza at CASE for a few years up through '08.

To this day I'm still trying to re-capture the amazing BUZZ I got upon hearing "All Day and All of the Night" for the first time. Have been succesful in that regard, though the highs are getting fewer and further between. Dammit.

I haven't met you yet, but I consider you a good friend. Here's wishing all of you one-chord wonders much love and laughter! (And the rest? Bite me.)

• May 1, 2012 12:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ola! My name is Josephine and I live in Norfolk, UK. I have 2 little children aged 3 1/2 and nearly 2. Not been on this site for long, known of it for ages and listened to podcasts but getting disillusioned by Facebook and would rather talk to more normal people on here! Anyway I was into blues for a long time and suppose it all went from there, I love soul and RnB as well and obviously a load of other stuff, mostly on my profile, errrr hate filling these things out... I also like taking pictures, reading, the beach (I live right by it), usual stuff I guess! Studying a health and social degree at the moment. Would like to be a nurse some day but have to work evenings when my kids are in bed so it's taking a bit of time! So yeah. Add me if you want to chat!

• April 30, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Garage punk doesn't require conventional "talent."

Ray Bentos said:

hello im ollie.

Origonally from the fens in lincolnshire then lived in london for 22 years before moving to sydney 2 years ago. Basically started listening to punk when i was about 12 through the older kids and my brother in my village. BUt then they used to play wreckin crew at the once a month holbeach youth club disco and i was hooked. Spent the next few years travelling up to klub foot every weekend . After klub foot shut i sort of drifted into punk and hardcore which has been basically what ive been into evr since . Love garage though im not too intouch with any of the modern bands. Mostly listen to billy childish stuff , mummies , restless , milkshakes etc also real soft spot for angry samoans , screeching weasel , ramones , queers anything ramonesy and armitage shanks and jonny moped!! Last few years ive been taking evry chance i can to go to japan cos the place is fanatastic and the punk garage scene is huge .

never had any talent to make any music myself !

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel