Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Ramones. They did more than three records, ya know...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 4, 2012 1:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How many of you are of the opinion that  THE RAMONES did NOT jump the shark after their 4th , or even third , album? The way I see it , they never did a BAD album , even if some material was'nt up to par. In the 80's and 90's , their worst still beat the competition at their best . Their shows and their records always had a magic about them, even when they were no longer breaking new ground.   What are some of your favorite later Ramones albums , and why? Any favorite songs that most people are barely cognizant of.     BTW , Joey's second posthumous solo album is much better than anyone had a right to expect. Give it a go.

• July 12, 2012 5:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i JUST COULD'NT COME TO TERMS , AT THE TIME , WITH SEEING THE RAMONES AT A HUGE THING LIKE LOLLAPALOOZA OR "ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK". NOT THAT THEY HAVE'NT DONE MAYBE ONE HUGE FESTIVAL (LIKE THE US FEST) IN AMERICA FOR EVERY , I DUNNO , 30 (?) THEY DID IN THE UK , EUROPE , SOUTH AMERICA , ETC......BUT , I REALIZE NOW , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A VERY COOL THING.    i went to lollapalooza a few years ago , mainly to see Roky Erickson and Patti Smith. I was blown away by how well - run everything was , no teeming masses to grapple with , sure there were a zillion people , but , not all situated in the same postage stamp - sized space. The sound was actually very good (Regina Spektor's people complained that Roky and The Explosives - who supposedly broke the volume record for the festival (After The Ramones , Metallica , Soundgarden  , etc.?) - were too loud to be playing 90 yards from her stage. THERE WAS NO WAY they were 90 yards from anything , except maybe the ice cream stand ! This actually made the news !!!) , and the people were actually very nice and helpful . The food was'nt even that expensive. It was my first one , probably my last , but a good experience , surprisingly enough.).

Jason Feldmann said:

Hey. I remember thinking the same thing. The guys from Rancid, Rage and others just filled the wings of the stage watching Joey and the guys do their thing. In fact, the band that plugged in just before the Ramones was Rancid. Tim walked to the mic (and this is when Rancid was SUPER fucking popular and on MTV and all that crap) and he said something like "the only reason we're here is b/c we get to play with one of the best fucking bands in the world - the Ramones!!!" Still one of my all-time favorite shows. Drove from Cincinnati to Tennessee b/c it was one of only 4 dates that Rage Against the Machine played. great to see them, rancid, melvins, screaming trees... even soundgarden and metallica weren't "bad."

Dalevis said:

I saw them on that Lollapalooza tour in Rockingham, NC. What struck me about that show was that guys from all the other bands were at the side of the stage watching the Ramones.

I was introduced to the Ramones by the End of the Century album by MTV of all things. I still have that one memorized. Whatever I could find I would buy. I didnt grow up with the benefit of hipster hindsight. I bought an album like Animal Boy when it was released and I loved it.
    • July 12, 2012 5:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY COULD'NT BE TOUCHED. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES ON STAGE , I'VE SEEN THAT HAPPEN WITH THEM , TOO , BUT , OVERALL , THEY WERE STILL GENERATING MORE EXCITEMENT THAN ANYONE I REMEMBER SEEING AT THE TIME....

Of course , my older friends , and even my Sister - in - Law , will tell me 76 - 79 WAS THE TIME TO SEE THEM. I WAS A KID !!!   THE RAMONES WERE RECLAIMING ROCK'N'ROLL FOR THE KIDS , BUT , THEIR MISSION WAS FAR FROM ACCOMPLISHED .  

20 YEARS LATER , MY THEN - TWO YEAR OLD GODCHILD WAS DANCING AROUND THE ROOM THE SECOND ANY RAMONES SONG CAME ON , AND PLAYING "RIFF RANDALL" AND "ANGEL DUST" WITH HER BARBIES - "I'M FIRST IN LINE!". Mission Accomplished.

Jason Feldmann said:

I love the Ramones. And no, they didn't jump the shark.  I only saw them once... at Lolapalooza 1996 of all places in Tennessee... and they still had it. Sweltering 90 degree heat and they still rocked the Converse, blue jean, black T shirt, black leather jacket look. The best sound.

I dig most of their stuff, even the later stuff. But "My brain is hanging upside down" from Animal Boy is one that comes to mind form the later years. And heck, the whole "Adios Amigos" LP is a fine listen.

• July 12, 2012 12:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey. I remember thinking the same thing. The guys from Rancid, Rage and others just filled the wings of the stage watching Joey and the guys do their thing. In fact, the band that plugged in just before the Ramones was Rancid. Tim walked to the mic (and this is when Rancid was SUPER fucking popular and on MTV and all that crap) and he said something like "the only reason we're here is b/c we get to play with one of the best fucking bands in the world - the Ramones!!!" Still one of my all-time favorite shows. Drove from Cincinnati to Tennessee b/c it was one of only 4 dates that Rage Against the Machine played. great to see them, rancid, melvins, screaming trees... even soundgarden and metallica weren't "bad."

Dalevis said:

I saw them on that Lollapalooza tour in Rockingham, NC. What struck me about that show was that guys from all the other bands were at the side of the stage watching the Ramones.

I was introduced to the Ramones by the End of the Century album by MTV of all things. I still have that one memorized. Whatever I could find I would buy. I didnt grow up with the benefit of hipster hindsight. I bought an album like Animal Boy when it was released and I loved it.
    • July 12, 2012 12:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 11, 2012 1:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love the Ramones. And no, they didn't jump the shark.  I only saw them once... at Lolapalooza 1996 of all places in Tennessee... and they still had it. Sweltering 90 degree heat and they still rocked the Converse, blue jean, black T shirt, black leather jacket look. The best sound.

I dig most of their stuff, even the later stuff. But "My brain is hanging upside down" from Animal Boy is one that comes to mind form the later years. And heck, the whole "Adios Amigos" LP is a fine listen.

• July 7, 2012 6:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

NOW THAT IT'S COOL TO LIKE THE RAMONES , AGAIN (AND IT WAS'NT , FOR YEARS.), THOSE SAME PEOPLE ARE PROBABLY BRAGGING ABOUT HOW THEY SAW THE RAMONES ,IN DECLINE , AND THEY WERE STILL GREAT....

• July 7, 2012 9:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Re John Battles' comment:

"... BUT , I WAS ALWAYS GLAD TO PLUNK DOWN MY CHANGE TO GO SEE THE RAMONES IN THE LAST 12 YEARS OF THEIR EXISTENCE , BECAUSE , WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A PITIFUL FEW (CRAMPS , IGGY , MOTORHEAD , e.g.), THE COMPETITION WAS'NT SAYIN' NUTHIN FROM WHERE I STOOD.

Too right! Even on their bad nights (didn't remember hearing any of those), a night of the Ramones live? Well, it couldn't be beat. Sorry. And it wasn't even that the competition as such wasn't just not saying anything, they weren't PLAYING anything I wanted to hear at the time. If there WAS another show on on the same night, I'd still be at the Ramones, thank you very much.

"...and people throwing piles of plastic cups at the band did'nt help. I don't care if it was the worst show of their career , which it wasn't , you respected The Ramones, or you exercised the right to take your lame ass out the exit doors."

Now, ok, I have heard this before but it still makes me certifiably ropeable. I mean, I can't imagine any crowd throwing anything at the Ramones. Seriously? This happened many moons ago; nevertheless, reading it here makes my blood boil. I'm really glad I wasn't at that show because I probably would have gotten into trouble picking a fight with one of those idiots. *sigh* No respect.

• July 7, 2012 8:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I honestly like them all; Their first post-Sire, post Dee Dee LP album "Mondo Bizzaro is very cool. They didn't fall apart, and sound just as great as ever....

• July 5, 2012 9:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN , BUT , I WAS ALWAYS GLAD TO PLUNK DOWN MY CHANGE TO GO SEE THE RAMONES IN THE LAST 12 YEARS OF THEIR EXISTENCE , BECAUSE , WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A PITIFUL FEW (CRAMPS , IGGY , MOTORHEAD , e.g.), THE COMPETITION WAS'NT SAYIN' NUTHIN FROM WHERE I STOOD. The only "Bad" show I ever saw 'em do was their last gig in Chicago ( Barring Lollapalooza.). But , the monitors were shot , and you could tell they could'nt hear each other, half the time. That , and people throwing piles of plastic cups at the band did'nt help. I don't care if it was the worst show of their career , which it was'nt , you respected The Ramones , or you exercised the right to take your lame ass out the exit doors.

• July 5, 2012 11:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good point!  That's also where all the 90's Ramones clone bands got it wrong too (well that, and everything else).

Rev. Norb said:

The shark-jump with regards to live performances definitely has to do with when Marky returned and changed his style. If you watch him play circa 1980, his usual beat sounds like this: BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a ((like the "End of the Century" version of "Rock & Roll High School)). Sometime in the late 80's ((i'm assuming it's when he re-replaced Elvis/Richie, but i can't be sure)), he just started going SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA a million miles an hour on the hi-hat and snare and it sounded like shit. Feel free to quote me on this.

The Pygmies said:

I think the first five albums are gold start to finish (six if you incude It's Alive). Every album after that still contains at least one or two classics that justified the band's existence.

What I can't stand to hear is any live recordings from the late 80's onward, when Joey started doing his Morrison-ish metal growl and the band played so fast there was no room for melody. 

• July 5, 2012 10:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The shark-jump with regards to live performances definitely has to do with when Marky returned and changed his style. If you watch him play circa 1980, his usual beat sounds like this: BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a-BOOMP-shick-a ((like the "End of the Century" version of "Rock & Roll High School)). Sometime in the late 80's ((i'm assuming it's when he re-replaced Elvis/Richie, but i can't be sure)), he just started going SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA SHICKABAPPA a million miles an hour on the hi-hat and snare and it sounded like shit. Feel free to quote me on this.

The Pygmies said:

I think the first five albums are gold start to finish (six if you incude It's Alive). Every album after that still contains at least one or two classics that justified the band's existence.

What I can't stand to hear is any live recordings from the late 80's onward, when Joey started doing his Morrison-ish metal growl and the band played so fast there was no room for melody. 

• July 5, 2012 10:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 4, 2012 7:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2 periods :

Before and After TOO TOUGH TO DIE...

BEFORE : The Best Punk Rock Band ever playing the best Pop songs ever.

AFTER : The Best Band EVER.

• June 30, 2012 2:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm listening to the new cj album right now, availabe on itunes. so far, it's fucking awesome.

• June 29, 2012 11:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It did appear that there was more of a fan personal connection on Dee Dee's grave (notice the lipstick prints) but Johnny's is in such a visible spot right along the drive, the cemetery folks probably don't let stuff like beer cans and what not stay on his very long. It was cool to see the statue on Johnny's memorial. It's kind of in your face especially since it is a very traditional cemetery despite all of the famous people buried there. If you are ever in Hollywood you have to go.

John Battles said:

Beautiful pictures. I hear Dee Dee gets a lot more stuff from fans than Johnny. I did'nt know the line from " Highest Trails Above" was inscribed on Dee Dee's tombstone.  I think The Ramones did just two songs from "Subterranean Jungle" , when I first saw them in '84 , and that was one of them.....Some critic said it was a silly song. Whatever. I always liked it , especially that machine gun guitar break (Again , probably Walter Lure.).
      Dalevis said:

Went to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Monday to pay my respects to Johnny and Dee Dee. It was comforting to know that they weren't buried in a pet cemetery. They didn't want that.

• June 29, 2012 6:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It was the dynamic between Johnny's vision of the band and Joey's penchant for pop songs that kept The Ramones relevant throughout their career.  It's hard to pick one of the latter albums as a favorite, but the Acid Eaters album of covers pulls together the two band dynamics pretty well (Substitute and Surf City are personal favorites).

• June 28, 2012 9:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beautiful pictures. I hear Dee Dee gets a lot more stuff from fans than Johnny. I did'nt know the line from " Highest Trails Above" was inscribed on Dee Dee's tombstone.  I think The Ramones did just two songs from "Subterranean Jungle" , when I first saw them in '84 , and that was one of them.....Some critic said it was a silly song. Whatever. I always liked it , especially that machine gun guitar break (Again , probably Walter Lure.).
      Dalevis said:

Went to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Monday to pay my respects to Johnny and Dee Dee. It was comforting to know that they weren't buried in a pet cemetery. They didn't want that.

• June 28, 2012 1:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 28, 2012 6:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just to say that me and my band we'll open the next italian gig of Marky Ramone...what an honor!!

• June 26, 2012 8:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , I still like those abums , too. I'm not saying they were remarkably consistent, but I'd hardly say The Ramones embarrassed themselves on their farewell release.

''Rainbows" is a lovely song , tho' I like Ronnie Spector's (Prod. by Joey.) version better . She did "Here Today , Gone Tomorrow" , twice, too. Great stuff.

Manu said:

Two albums after the difficult 80's

1993: Acid Eaters for the great 60's songs' covers

1995: Adios Amigos, they came back to the roots with this album - it also includes one of the most beautiful (yes!) Ramones songs (She talks to rainbows)

• June 26, 2012 7:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

VERY NICE. THANKS FOR SHARING.

Audio Gasoline said:

Maybe a little OT, but this seemed like a good place to share this poster, since I don't pull it out very often.

The show was in 2001 about a month after Joey died, at a tiny club in Springfield, OR. It was the 8th Birthday Party for University of Oregon campus radio station 88.1 KWVA. My buddy Goro from The Snukas hand screened these, and only made about 30. He gave me one to put in my shop window, but it went straight into my music collection. Not sure if any more are still around.

Dee Dee seemed to be in good sprits that night, mixing at the bar during the warm-up bands. He and Goro hit it off, and he brought Goro up onstage to sing Blitzkrieg Bop. It was a fun night. I saw a couple of camcorders running, but haven't seen any footage on the web - let me know if you know of any. I DAT taped it, but haven't been able to find it since I moved 4 years ago... I fear it's gone for good.

• June 26, 2012 8:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Two albums after the difficult 80's

1993: Acid Eaters for the great 60's songs' covers

1995: Adios Amigos, they came back to the roots with this album - it also includes one of the most beautiful (yes!) Ramones songs (She talks to rainbows)

• June 24, 2012 1:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, i remember the Wristrockets! Great poster.

• June 23, 2012 11:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Maybe a little OT, but this seemed like a good place to share this poster, since I don't pull it out very often.

The show was in 2001 about a month after Joey died, at a tiny club in Springfield, OR. It was the 8th Birthday Party for University of Oregon campus radio station 88.1 KWVA. My buddy Goro from The Snukas hand screened these, and only made about 30. He gave me one to put in my shop window, but it went straight into my music collection. Not sure if any more are still around.

Dee Dee seemed to be in good sprits that night, mixing at the bar during the warm-up bands. He and Goro hit it off, and he brought Goro up onstage to sing Blitzkrieg Bop. It was a fun night. I saw a couple of camcorders running, but haven't seen any footage on the web - let me know if you know of any. I DAT taped it, but haven't been able to find it since I moved 4 years ago... I fear it's gone for good.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel