Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Commando: The Autobiography of Johnny Ramone

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 14, 2012 11:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This autobiography focuses more on the late Johnny Ramone's interests (baseball, horror movies, Elvis, etc.) and the history of the Ramones than inter-band rivalries. The numerous photographs and well-bound cover make it a book to display on your coffee table rather than within the innards of your e-reader. Johnny Ramone's All-Time Top Ten lists give insight into his personality and world view (Top Punk Groups, Favorite Republicans, Best Film Reference Books . . .) Overall a must for any Ramones fanatic and a new slant on the existing Ramones cannon as typified by Dee Dee Ramone's literary efforts as well as the memoir I Slept with Joey Ramone by Mickey Leigh.

• September 21, 2012 5:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just read this book, and I liked it. Even in his own words Johnny Ramone appears to be quite an asshole, but I still can't help but like him somehow. Also, it's interesting to hear the Ramones story in Johnny's words.

• September 8, 2012 7:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha! Sorry JB I meant Joe! I wasn't going to buy 'commando' but after reading a review like that I'll have to!

Just bought 'flying saucers rock n roll' JB, is that you in it?

John Battles said:

I THINK YOU MEAN TO SAY THANKS TO JOE? AS IT HAPPENS , WE KNOW EACH OTHER , AND Joe's Fleshtones' book "SWEAT" comes as recommended  as letting HER get on top. Just sayin'.
      Mark George Harrison said:

Thanks a frickin' lot John, another book I now HAVE to buy!

Joe Bonomo said:

• September 7, 2012 7:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I THINK YOU MEAN TO SAY THANKS TO JOE? AS IT HAPPENS , WE KNOW EACH OTHER , AND Joe's Fleshtones' book "SWEAT" comes as recommended  as letting HER get on top. Just sayin'.

Thanks a frickin' lot John, another book I now HAVE to buy!

Joe Bonomo said:

• September 5, 2012 8:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks, John.

Don't think I can swing Fitzgeralds but I will be in Sycamore the next night for their gig at the Sycamore Film Festival.

• September 5, 2012 12:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joe , you've got your mind all around it , as usual. The things about Johnny that people disliked , and , still do , I've found , still had as much to do with creating , and maintaining, The Ramones as the things in this book that make him seem appealing.

I saw an advance screening of "End of The Century" with a handful of local critics ( Such assholes.) . Toward the end , Johnny was asked if he'd tried to contact Joey , while he was on his on his deathbed , and he says " No. I did'nt think he'd want to talk to anybody he hated.".

The next day , Johnny died.   Man , I sure hope they're talking to each other again.

Fleshtones , 9/14 , Fitzgerald's. You in ?

Joe Bonomo said:

• September 3, 2012 12:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I read Melnick's book. I enjoyed it. I have'nt disliked any of these books you guys are talking about ( "I Slept With Joey Ramone" is painful on many levels , the unbelievable physical and psychological turmoil Joey suffered as a kid , and the (Previously undocumented) bullying and egotism that might remind you of someone else......).

Dee Dee's previous book "Lobotomy" bears more of his alternately sick and good natured humor.  I read another book , released posthumously , where Dee Dee claimed to have killed a man on an icy road , dragged his body into the snow , and hacked him to bits. Of course , he made it up , but he so casually tells the tale , with no disclaimer , as though he believed it , himself. 

i ENJOYED "COMMANDO" , MAINLY BECAUSE JOHNNY TELLS HIS STORY , IN HIS OWN WORDS , AND DOES'NT TRY TO PAINT THIS MISLEADING PICTURE ABOUT HIS ATTITUDES TOWARD WOMEN , HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH JOEY ,  BEING A BULLY , ETC. . I DON'T KNOW WHY IT TOOK SO LONG TO GET IT PUBLISHED.
       Glenn Armstrong said:

Commando was kind of unintentionally funny in a dead pan sort of way. A well designed book full of graphics and top ten lists. I enjoyed Mickey Leigh's book as well. It was very insightful on Joey Ramone's OCD condition, etc. I found Poisoned Heart a tad bitter and it showed a lot of the infighting amongst the band. Anyone read On the Road With The Ramones by tour manager Monte Melnick? 

Just finished Mickey Leigh's book today and really enjoyed it, even shed a tear at the end. Not sure if I'll get the Johnny Ramone book, read one of Dee Dee's(poisoned heart) and found it very disappointing, none of the humour you expect from him.

Jersey City Mods said:

We liked "I Slept with Joey Ramone" and thought Johnny was portrayed as more interesting than the usual thug caricature he often gets.  We will have to check this one out as well.

• August 27, 2012 10:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Commando was kind of unintentionally funny in a dead pan sort of way. A well designed book full of graphics and top ten lists. I enjoyed Mickey Leigh's book as well. It was very insightful on Joey Ramone's OCD condition, etc. I found Poisoned Heart a tad bitter and it showed a lot of the infighting amongst the band. Anyone read On the Road With The Ramones by tour manager Monte Melnick? 

Just finished Mickey Leigh's book today and really enjoyed it, even shed a tear at the end. Not sure if I'll get the Johnny Ramone book, read one of Dee Dee's(poisoned heart) and found it very disappointing, none of the humour you expect from him.

Jersey City Mods said:

We liked "I Slept with Joey Ramone" and thought Johnny was portrayed as more interesting than the usual thug caricature he often gets.  We will have to check this one out as well.

• August 27, 2012 8:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jersey City Mods said:

• May 15, 2012 7:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The butterfly effect in music too.....sounds interesting :):):)

• May 15, 2012 6:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Time to queue up The Clash's "White Riot" for an outsider's perspective from across the pond. Prophetic perhaps and strangely enough The Clash were Johnny Ramone's 2nd best pick for top ten punk bands of all time after The Ramones themselves.  Or "Smash  It Up" by the Damned might do nicely. Funny how the brits emulated the Ramones' buzzsaw guitar somewhat then changed the lyrics and tone of the soundtrack while there was real unrest (strikes, riots etc) in England at the time. Perhaps there is a delayed reaction in the US that goes beyond the Ramonesesque quitar sound that you hear on car commercials. Some kind of unintentional butterfly effect I guess . . .

sleazy said:

And it's exactly this OBNOXIOUIS contadiction that many have woken up to and are getting ready to WIPE out....luckily I say....if you haven't noticed yet, there are people ready to pick up whatever they can find in the streets and smash up everything. Seattle was the 2nd indication....and NO, no worries, this time 'round, "THE FIRE".......there ain't NO stoppin' the people when they're fed up with politicians ands politics....it already happended once in America's history....IT CAN SURELY HAPPEN AGAIN (aka American Revolution)...it's time to wake up the Sons & Daughters again and wipe out ONCE and for all the OBNOXIOUS Ramone-like, pro-CIA policy...and it WILL happen, be sure :):):)!!!!

The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.

Glenn Armstrong said:

I knew if I mentioned the top ten Republican list we would get some spirited discussion! But there is also the flip side of the liberal Joey Ramone and the later "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" controversy that almost caused Johnny to quit the band. The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.
      sleazy said:

I wonder if it reveals the band's connections with the fuckin' CIA....I dig their music, but I HATE THEIR GUTS for being pro -Con:):):)!!!

• May 15, 2012 3:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And it's exactly this OBNOXIOUIS contadiction that many have woken up to and are getting ready to WIPE out....luckily I say....if you haven't noticed yet, there are people ready to pick up whatever they can find in the streets and smash up everything. Seattle was the 2nd indication....and NO, no worries, this time 'round, "THE FIRE".......there ain't NO stoppin' the people when they're fed up with politicians ands politics....it already happended once in America's history....IT CAN SURELY HAPPEN AGAIN (aka American Revolution)...it's time to wake up the Sons & Daughters again and wipe out ONCE and for all the OBNOXIOUS Ramone-like, pro-CIA policy...and it WILL happen, be sure :):):)!!!!

The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.

Glenn Armstrong said:

I knew if I mentioned the top ten Republican list we would get some spirited discussion! But there is also the flip side of the liberal Joey Ramone and the later "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" controversy that almost caused Johnny to quit the band. The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.
      sleazy said:

I wonder if it reveals the band's connections with the fuckin' CIA....I dig their music, but I HATE THEIR GUTS for being pro -Con:):):)!!!

• May 14, 2012 10:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

sleazy said:

• May 14, 2012 2:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 14, 2012 1:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel