Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Article on CBGB in the NY Times

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 8, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's something that may interest a few people here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/arts/music/cbgb-owners-plan-a-festival-and-seek-a-new-location.html?_r=1

CBGB Is Dead. Long Live CBGB.

By  and STEPHEN REX BROWN

For the last six years the name CBGB has been little more than a logo on T-shirts for young people in the East Village. Now a group of investors has bought the assets of that famous punk-rock club, which closed in 2006, and plans to establish an ambitious music festival this summer, with an eye toward reopening the club at a new downtown location.

The new owners of the club’s assets — some with ties to the original Bowery establishment — say they hope that the festival will revive the wide-open artistic aesthetic associated with CBGB, which in its heyday served as an incubator for influential acts like Television, the Talking Heads, the Ramones, Blondie, Sonic Youth and Patti Smith.

“We’re never going to recreate that moment in time,” said Tim Hayes, one of the investors. “We’re trying to continue the idea of supporting live music, making a lot of noise and being a part of New York City. The festival is one way we can do it. Eventually the club will be another way we can do it.”

The four-day festival is scheduled to begin on July 5 and will showcase about 300 rock bands. Concerts will take place at around 30 places, from large stages like Central Park Summerstage and Webster Hall to small clubs like the Trash Bar in Williamsburg and the
      Living Room on the Lower East Side.

The Cro-Mags, Vision of Disorder and Sick of It All will headline a hardcore show at Webster Hall, organizers said. The festival will also stage a free concert in Central Park with Guided by Voices, the Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Cloud Nothings. A few veteran rockers have agreed to appear: David Johansen, a former member of the New York Dolls, has committed to do a show, as has the Baseball Project, the supergroup formed by Peter Buck of R.E.M. and Steve Wynn of Dream Syndicate.

The New York City market has proved difficult for festival promoters, particularly for large, open-air events, like All Points West and Across the Narrows. The CBGB festival, however, will take place mostly inside existing bars and music halls, a more profitable model in the city. Though Mr. Hayes declined to discuss the company’s finances, he said the promoters bought the club’s assets for cash and are not burdened with debt.

The festival will also include screenings of rock-themed films at two downtown cinemas and a series of workshops and conferences geared to artists venturing into the music business for the first time. Mr. Hayes said the models are the South by Southwest music festival in Austin, Tex., and the CMJ festival held here every fall. “We want to make room for some of the legends that came from CBGB, but the primary focus is to support new music,” he said.

It was Mr. Hayes’s commitment to original music that persuaded Lisa Kristal Burgman, who controlled the estate that owned the rights to the club, to sell it to him, she said. “It’s a relief to know that it’s not going to die,” Ms. Burgman said. “It’s going to be reborn.”

That rebirth has been a long time coming. Hilly Kristal, the club’s founder and Ms. Burgman’s father, died of cancer in August 2007. A year earlier, he had shut down the narrow space — a crumbling bar with an angled stage, dungeonlike bathrooms and walls covered in graffiti and fliers — after a long and bitter dispute over back rent with the landlord. He left most of his estate to Ms. Burgman.

But the rights to the club’s assets and its famous trademark, which is worth millions, became mired in legal disputes after Mr. Kristal’s death. Shortly before he died, Mr. Kristal had negotiated a deal to sell the club’s assets to two entrepreneurs, James Blueweiss and Robert Williams. They bought the rights from his estate in May 2008 but then declared bankruptcy two years later. Under Ms. Burgman’s direction, the estate sued to reclaim the club’s assets. Complicating matters, Mr. Kristal’s former wife, Karen Kristal, also filed suit, disputing the sale, saying she had been the rightful owner of the business.

By October 2010, both legal battles had been settled, and Ms. Burgman ended up in control of not only the club’s famous logo, but also its memorabilia and its grubby interior furnishings. Several would-be buyers approached her, she said.

She started talking to Mr. Hayes, a concert promoter, about his interest in reviving the club in early 2011. Her main concern, she said, was to ensure that Mr. Hayes and his partners would carry on her father’s policy of supporting original, undiscovered musicians.

“What was important was to make sure that whoever bought it understood what CBGB was about, and Tim did from the get-go,” Ms. Burgman said.

Neither Mr. Hayes nor Ms. Burgman would reveal the terms of the sale. But buying CBGB — and the cultural cachet, lucrative licensing rights and merchandise that come with it — was almost certainly not cheap. When the Kristal estate sold the rights to the club in May 2008, the price was $3.5 million, according to bankruptcy records.

Mr. Hayes said there were at least six investors behind the new venture, whom he declined to name but described as “a half dozen guys that just love music.” One of them is Joe D’Urso, a musician and a former talent agent who is now working to organize the festival. Ms. Burgman said she had no financial stake in the festival, nor in the future club, though she is continuing to advise the new owners. “It’s passing the baton,” she said.

Mr. Hayes has hired others with close ties to Mr. Kristal. Louise Parnassa-Staley, the booker at the club from 1986 until its closing, has the same responsibilities for the coming festival. She said she had received inquiries from a wide variety of rock groups, from a black-metal band in Norway to a heavy-metal band in Mexico and a “surprising amount” of roots-rock bands.

Eventually, Mr. Hayes said, he and his partners intend to reopen the club in Lower Manhattan and are searching for an ideal building to buy. “We don’t want to be a tenant,” he said. “We don’t want to be a victim of what happened before.”

Some people with ties to the old CBGB expressed skepticism the club could be resurrected without Mr. Kristal. “The people who bought it are wonderful people, but to me, the place died with the man,” said Richard Manitoba, the lead singer of the Dictators.

James Sliman, who managed the Dead Boys in the 1970s, said he was waiting to see if the new owners had Mr. Kristal’s “musical integrity” or were “doing this just to cash in on the name.”

The new club, if and when it opens, will have most of the trappings of the shuttered club at its disposal: A theatrical company dismantled and itemized everything from the bar itself to set lists and put it all in storage in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

But Mr. Hayes and Mr. D’Urso said they did not want to open a “museum installation” aimed at tourists. They hope to re-establish CBGB as a vibrant downtown club that will present original bands.

“Rock is an art form that I love and respect, and I think has a purpose in the social fabric of our society,” Mr. D’Urso said. “And it’s been a little pushed aside. If we can help push it back in, we’d like to.”

• May 16, 2012 6:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would hardly call Jon Varvatos "posh."  Yes, it is expensive, but I would still rather see the spot put to that use than to see another corporate franchise in that same spot.  However, I understand where you're coming from.

Chris Henniker said:

I heard about this on 6Music yesterday. It's a good idea to keep it's memory alive, especially with the club's legacy being as vast as it is, it could be forgotten about. That said, it feels like it's just a cynical cash-in on the name. It could be an excuse to put on manufactured bands or indie landfill.

When I wrote for a Greenwich based magazine, my publisher and some mutual friends asked me if I was interested in going to a rave. "Isn't that a bit late 1980's?", I asked. Jamie, who would become the bass player for Klaxons chipped in: "It's a revival." I even wonder whether the ravers have ended up like the Teddy boys, just another nostalgia movement. Even Jamie said "new rave" was a joke. It could go the same way with CBGB, just a nostalgia movement or a joke.

Look at the Hacienda in Manchester, it closed due to problems with organised crime and is now a posh block of flats. No different to CBGB being supplanted by a posh boutique, which means the these venues (IN my opinion) are key to driving gentrification. IN New Cross, There is a pub called The Montague Arms, where I used to drink, which closed recently. A fairly well known music venue with some really awesome decor, such as stuffed deer heads, and it's sad to see it go.  I glimpsed a local paper to see that it closed. It's sad, but  as Johnny Thunders said: "You Can't put your arms around a memory."

• May 16, 2012 4:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

I heard about this on 6Music yesterday. It's a good idea to keep it's memory alive, especially with the club's legacy being as vast as it is, it could be forgotten about. That said, it feels like it's just a cynical cash-in on the name. It could be an excuse to put on manufactured bands or indie landfill.

When I wrote for a Greenwich based magazine, my publisher and some mutual friends asked me if I was interested in going to a rave. "Isn't that a bit late 1980's?", I asked. Jamie, who would become the bass player for Klaxons chipped in: "It's a revival." I even wonder whether the ravers have ended up like the Teddy boys, just another nostalgia movement. Even Jamie said "new rave" was a joke. It could go the same way with CBGB, just a nostalgia movement or a joke.

Look at the Hacienda in Manchester, it closed due to problems with organised crime and is now a posh block of flats. No different to CBGB being supplanted by a posh boutique, which means the these venues (IN my opinion) are key to driving gentrification. IN New Cross, There is a pub called The Montague Arms, where I used to drink, which closed recently. A fairly well known music venue with some really awesome decor, such as stuffed deer heads, and it's sad to see it go.  I glimpsed a local paper to see that it closed. It's sad, but  as Johnny Thunders said: "You Can't put your arms around a memory."

• May 11, 2012 9:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just posted this article because I thought some people might find it interesting.  I was expecting the reaction to be mostly negative.  

As for the whole idea of resurrecting CBGB, I'm not too keen on it either.  CBGB was one of those things that happened during a specific time under a specific set of circumstances, and trying to revive it in our time just sounds too weird.  Most of the people who remember it will never accept it, and I don't know if it will catch on with a younger crowd.  BTW, I liked your "Pet Semetary" analogy:)  I read that book, so I know what you're talking about.

BTW, just a few doors down from where CBGB used to be is a really cool venue called the Bowery Electric.  I say let the deceased venues rest in peace, but support the new venues, because they really need it.

melissa scott said:

MikeL: since you posted the piece, what is your take on the announcement of CBGBs Mach II? You must have had a reason for posting the article link.

Some of use here -- gut reaction -- was clearly negative, but I was wondering if you or others on the Hideout have a different take on it? Is any venue better than none when it comes to the music scene in NYC? It's been a while since I've been there, so that's why I'm asking.

• May 10, 2012 8:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL: since you posted the piece, what is your take on the announcement of CBGBs Mach II? You must have had a reason for posting the article link.

Some of use here -- gut reaction -- was clearly negative, but I was wondering if you or others on the Hideout have a different take on it? Is any venue better than none when it comes to the music scene in NYC? It's been a while since I've been there, so that's why I'm asking.

• May 9, 2012 5:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yup, Mikel -- we know that -- it has more to do with the context than his name - what I mean is n context of how the whole concept is portrayed in the piece. Using the old fittings, like you would in a museum exhibit, for example.

No, I don't think people call him Handsome.
      MikeL said:

Actually, Richard is his real name, and that's what everyone calls him in person.  I've met him a few times myself, so I should know.  

melissa scott said:

Both Mike and Kopper have it right.

Ceebs died a long time before the doors closed, m'kay? The need to refer to CBGC's to start something 'new' has that weird, slightly creepy feel when you see re-enactments of famous war scenes.

Ok, if given the benefit of the doubt -- and it's all about supporting LIVE music (hooray!)

But, why does it have to have the word CBGB's in it?

Handsome Dick as 'Richard' -- that one doesn't just get the LOL, it gets the giant GUFFAW!

CBGBs RIP, The Rat RIP... I'm sure there are people here who can add to the list. Just say no the Re-Animators -- you KNOW what happens in the Pet Cemetery, right?

• May 9, 2012 4:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Actually, Richard is his real name, and that's what everyone calls him in person.  I've met him a few times myself, so I should know.  

melissa scott said:

Ceebs died a long time before the doors closed, m'kay? The need to refer to CBGC's to start something 'new' has that weird, slightly creepy feel when you see re-enactments of famous war scenes.

Ok, if given the benefit of the doubt -- and it's all about supporting LIVE music (hooray!)

Handsome Dick as 'Richard' -- that one doesn't just get the LOL, it gets the giant GUFFAW!

CBGBs RIP, The Rat RIP... I'm sure there are people here who can add to the list. Just say no the Re-Animators -- you KNOW what happens in the Pet Cemetery, right?

• May 8, 2012 9:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i WAS'NT ABLE TO ACCESS THE ARTICLE....But , when I went to CBGB's in 1984 , it was already dead. This was just 5 years after the venue's heyday initially came to a halt. I still thought there'd be exciting new bands to see. But , I've been known to make bad calls. I SAW A YOUNG BAND CALLED  SMASHING PUMPKINS , ENTIRELY BY ACCIDENT , about 4 years later. If you'd have told me they had a hope in Hell of making it big , I might have laughed , or said "They suck bad enough , maybe they will !". The Punk Revival brought a lot of good business to CB's , and even the reunion of several bands that deserved to see a reunion , like Richard Blum and His Dictators , but , they've made a career out of breaking up and reforming at a later date , as , I'm told , they've done , recently.  

• May 8, 2012 7:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 8, 2012 3:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it's funny they refer to Handsome Dick as "Richard" in that article. Next time I'm in Manhattan, I'll go to Manitoba's where the real action is.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 8, 2012 3:20 PM CDT
    • Untitled

It sounds a bit negative but “We’re never going to recreate that moment in time,” says it all in my opinion. I can't say I've ever been there but New York gentrification isn't unique. It's in London, Hamburg and Berlin among plenty of other places.Once it's gone it's not coming back. But that doesn't mean the same spirit can't happen but why try and resurrect something that died of natural causes?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel