Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: How often do you meet people in person with your music taste?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 29, 2012 8:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Outside of shows/gigs of course.

I guess we are kind of a specific group of people but I was pretty impressed today with a kid at the check out at my grocery. He had a sort of Paul Weller haircut and was wearing a Vibrators, Damned and the Jam pin on the shirt.I was like, "you got taste man" and we got in a conversation about music. It's weird that we didn't know each other but anyhow, it's reassuring to meet people who like good music.

• May 14, 2012 11:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Yeah, it happens way more in Boston than seems to happen to all the other people on this site. A waiter last week started talking to us about bands (of course it helps when my friend is sporting a hoodie of one of his fave bands) and definitely random times throughout the year.

Steven Madson said:

All the time! Come to Minneapolis Rock n' Roll city!

• May 14, 2012 2:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All the time! Come to Minneapolis Rock n' Roll city!

• May 11, 2012 7:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One of these days Mell.....when you least expect it I'll sneak up on you!!! Just to get even for all those facebook pokes!!!

• May 11, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

in person? never!

• May 8, 2012 7:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never! No-one ever even has a clue what I'm talking about. From what I can figure on this & other sites (I'm on Surf 101 too) within a radius of about 100 miles there are maybe 4 people. We should form a band right?! Or, is it because I'm so socially dysfunctional that I'd never find out who likes the same stuff anyway? Guess we'll never know... ;-) What is kind of nice is that it's a bit like Jagger meeting Richards because one of them had a blues album under his arm, like a secret code. This Saturday I'm meeting a guy who lives 80 miles away halfway for a drink because we both wanted to hang with someone who likes the same music for once. Awww! Someone call my wife if I'm not back in 3 hours...

• May 3, 2012 8:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not very many here but I'm in kind of a desolate area anyhow... me mum and aunts would probably like what i've been hearing but i don't see 'em so much no mo'... i do enjoy the metalheads about tho :)

• May 2, 2012 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never ever. 'Course I don't go out much anymore. All my young co-workers are so imbedded in our current pop lack-of-culture that even their conversations are auto tuned.

• May 2, 2012 8:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a friend... we exchange our tastes and findings, but other than us... not much.

• April 30, 2012 5:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

To show that I am aging, the place I actually used to meet tons of people with similar music interests was IRC.   Ended up meeting a ton of them back then too, even a few IRC get togethers.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Very true.  I've met a lot more people here (and the original garage punk website) and also on myspace and facebook than I ever met in real life.

Scott_hn said:

Kind of gives me the warm fuzzies to know there are youngsters who appreciate the "good" music... I don't go to concerts as frequently as I did in the 80s/90s, so it is very rare that I meet anyone in person with similar music taste. The advent of the internet and subsequent introduction to fellow virtual fans has been the bees knees.

• April 30, 2012 5:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well....you can find me there as Rod Strychnine and I keep my friends list open so it's easy to find some like minded people.  Downside:I spend even more time there then I do here.

sonicmama said:

Ahh well alot of my friends on FB are fellow mums and I don't get the impression they listen to much that's Hideout-worthy. My boyfriend is about the only person that ever likes anything I post!

• April 30, 2012 5:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ahh well alot of my friends on FB are fellow mums and I don't get the impression they listen to much that's Hideout-worthy. My boyfriend is about the only person that ever likes anything I post!

• April 30, 2012 4:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hmmm....my facebook newsfeed seems to be made up of people competing for how many garage rock videos and songs can be posted.  I usually average 3 to 7 "likes" but everyone does much better.  But there's like 25 people competing for space.

sonicmama said:

Never. Where i live, it's like people's music taste died in 2004, they're still listening to bad punk music and honking on about Groezrock, if you put on a "garage" show no one would come. If I ever post a video on Facebook you can pretty much see the binary tumbleweeds blowing around my newsfeed. Ho hum. That's why I love this place!

• April 30, 2012 4:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL! I hear ya sista...

sonicmama said:

Also I am a girl (really) so unless I want to wear too much make up and dance to Rihanna I'm screwed for going out with girlfriends.

• April 30, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Also I am a girl (really) so unless I want to wear too much make up and dance to Rihanna I'm screwed for going out with girlfriends.

• April 30, 2012 4:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never. Where i live, it's like people's music taste died in 2004, they're still listening to bad punk music and honking on about Groezrock, if you put on a "garage" show no one would come. If I ever post a video on Facebook you can pretty much see the binary tumbleweeds blowing around my newsfeed. Ho hum. That's why I love this place!

• April 30, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very true.  I've met a lot more people here (and the original garage punk website) and also on myspace and facebook than I ever met in real life.

Scott_hn said:

Kind of gives me the warm fuzzies to know there are youngsters who appreciate the "good" music... I don't go to concerts as frequently as I did in the 80s/90s, so it is very rare that I meet anyone in person with similar music taste. The advent of the internet and subsequent introduction to fellow virtual fans has been the bees knees.

• April 30, 2012 3:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 28, 2012 3:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Meeting someone who was into punk never use to be a problem.  Finding someone who was into garage punk only happened at shows or specific record stores. Now it's never.

• April 28, 2012 1:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's an absolute shock if I do.  Rarely ever happens, and happens less as I get older.

• April 26, 2012 11:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

One in a year.

• April 24, 2012 9:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Only when I meet people whistling "Electricity" while wearing a Trout Mask Replica t-shirt! 

• April 23, 2012 8:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Mel:

Lots of pics coming soon....a couple are up on facebook now. Check out the brand new combo The noble Savages.....textbook 60's garagepunk on speed.

Audio coming soon too...so many things to do, so many songs to listen to, so much fun to have!!!!!

• April 22, 2012 11:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey What? Wave? dave... dunnit sound like London, Ontario was all that sleepy last night! Wish I coulda been there to celebrate with ya and all the GPH+ gpgeeks. Any photos to share of the night? We gotta live vicariously, well some of us anyway!

• April 22, 2012 2:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's boards like this that enable all us outcasts to get together and let loose every now and again. Last night we put on a show here in sleepy London Ontario Canada. All 4 of the bands involved have some presence right here (2 have been on garagepunk hideout compilations), as do many of the members of these bands. And a couple other people saw the event posting here on garagepunk hideout and came to the event because of that, (neither are facebook members so this is the only place they could have found out about the show). It wasn't a hugely attended show, but it was the quality of the crowd over the quantity!! And a ROCKIN' good time was had by all, whether garagepunk hideout members or not!!

And because of all the plugs/mentions for garagepunk hideout, there might just be a few more members to this board!

Thank You Kopper, for getting us outcasts together in the real world!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel