Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: How often do you meet people in person with your music taste?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 17, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

By the way, this doesn't happen very often.

perez botella said:

It's a bit difficult for me to hang around with people with different music tastes to mine.

Anyway, I´ve made great friends and dated with some girls talking about The Buzzcocks, The Cramps, The Kinks, etc. at bars or after a gig.

Deffinitely, for me, music is quite important when having a relation, sentimental or just friendship.

• April 17, 2012 8:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's a bit difficult for me to hang around with people with different music tastes to mine.

Anyway, I´ve made great friends and dated with some girls talking about The Buzzcocks, The Cramps, The Kinks, etc. at bars or after a gig.

Deffinitely, for me, music is quite important when having a relation, sentimental or just friendship.

• April 17, 2012 9:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am waiting for that day I get to meet you in person. I'm actually thinking of a pilgrimage. 

That said, I no longer go to shows that much (as a 5am grownup job takes it out of me) and I tend to wear band shirts only on vacations or working on the lawn, but I have my buttons and I'm a pretty approachable guy, so feel free to say Hi if you ever see me buying groceries or cussing at the kids who can't pull up their damn pants. 

swt said:

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• April 17, 2012 12:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All the time, but I am the sound lady at a music venue bar club. 

• April 16, 2012 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Like never.

But my wife is tolerant, and I do rule the garage, so that's OK.

• April 14, 2012 3:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There is'nt , but for the same reason some people say "Elvis Presley or Elvis Costello?" , some folks feel a need to make that distinction.....I don't LOATHE Bocephus , but, he does'nt do anything for me , either...."Hank III" , I SAW ONCE , EXPECTING A GREAT COUNTRY SHOW , BASED ON GLOWING REVIEWS (THAT IS , WHEN HE WAS'NT DOING AN AXL ROSE, and splitting after 10 minutes .)....If he wanted to do some Punk Rock , too , that was all right by me... Instead , he did this HORRIBLE  Sub - Rage Against The Machine/Ministry (Minus the drum machines, at least.) set that  never waivered in it's suckiness , with genius lyrics like "If you don't like our Hillbilly Punk Rock.....FUCK YOU !!!". THE GUYS IN HIS BAND WERE VERY NICE . iT JUST WAS'NT COUNTRY or Punk , Nor anything I needed to hear. I've no doubt he does good shows when he wants to , but that put me off , pretty much for good....

• April 14, 2012 12:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm probably more forgiving towards Hank Jr. than most people (and I'm still on the fence about Hank III), but even so...there is no need to put the word "Senior" in front of Hank Williams' name.

John Battles said:

I used to meet people in my own neighborhood with similar tastes.....But , we had a great record  store , which helped.Now , there's no small business , because the University (Fuck you , Loyola.) has taken over everything , no sense of community. It's all college students. I don't begrudge them , but , it's a REALLY square environment. Even Goths or Hot Topic Punks ARE A RARITY .....a FEW YEARS BACK , THO' , I was making some flyers , at a Kinko's driven out by Loyola , TWICE , when a young guy asked me if I knew about THE (fIRST) Nuggets box set. He asked if I thoughthe should buy it.....I said , yes , because it took years for me to find those songs , and now you and I can have them all, with GOOD sound.......I told him , he's lucky to be around now , when there's so many great re-issues . Then he asked me if I liked Hank Williams , Sr.    I told him ,there's only ONE Hank Williams.

• April 14, 2012 12:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to meet people in my own neighborhood with similar tastes.....But , we had a great record  store , which helped.Now , there's no small business , because the University (Fuck you , Loyola.) has taken over everything , no sense of community. It's all college students. I don't begrudge them , but , it's a REALLY square environment. Even Goths or Hot Topic Punks ARE A RARITY .....a FEW YEARS BACK , THO' , I was making some flyers , at a Kinko's driven out by Loyola , TWICE , when a young guy asked me if I knew about THE (fIRST) Nuggets box set. He asked if I thoughthe should buy it.....I said , yes , because it took years for me to find those songs , and now you and I can have them all, with GOOD sound.......I told him , he's lucky to be around now , when there's so many great re-issues . Then he asked me if I liked Hank Williams , Sr.    I told him ,there's only ONE Hank Williams.

• April 13, 2012 11:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

almost never which is pretty lame. But whats worse is when you finally meet someone who likes the same music and they're really annoying.

• April 13, 2012 10:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I rarely if ever meet anyone with my musical tastes up here in Idaho. I live in a town of about 7800 people in the mountains, the nearest record store is 45 miles away. My husband likes some of the same music, and when I play something he hasn't heard before he usually (not always) likes it, same with my daughter.

• April 13, 2012 9:15 AM CDT
    • Untitled

There seems to be a lot of punk and rock n roll here in Essen. But I just meet people I like and get one with it. ruhrpottrode.de more punk and not garage at all but should be fun anyway :)

• April 13, 2012 9:00 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Are we still talking about garage punk here?

Kendra said:

Never. It's sad.

Oh well, there's always the internet...

• April 11, 2012 4:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never. It's sad.

Oh well, there's always the internet...

• April 11, 2012 4:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I never run into any Hideout dwellers in Tampa...  but when I go to other cities I do.  But that might just be because I am out at shows and stuff.  There are a number of folks here I met before there was a Hideout...

• April 10, 2012 12:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

seldom to never. at least we have each other. digitally.

• April 10, 2012 7:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I had a funny experience at lunch on Sat.  A work friend and I were two of 5 people sitting at the bar.  The bartender/waiter was playing hip hop and Latino music, I assumed on an ipod.  He was talking about dj'ing to one guy but I didn't really pay attention.   As we were leaving, I heard the customer ask if the dude liked the Misfits.  He said yeah, goes to change the music as we're walking out and I'm thinking "I know this song" and after a second, I realize it's Jeff the Brotherhood and went back in to ask him.  He high fived me and told me he was excited cuz they're playing soon. I had to one up him tho and say I've seen them 3 times already.  But it was surprising after what we'd been hearing for an hour.  People are out there.

• April 9, 2012 9:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Kinda never.  It was easier when I was younger and in college where people often defined themselves by their musical tastes so it was a constant and accepted conversation.  Now I feel too old to let people know that I still collect records and go to shows.  Happily, my husband shares my musical interests.

• April 8, 2012 10:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Got real lucky last nite, fellow GaragePunk Hideout member Warren of the Berries made it out to my band's show and it was wild gettin' to speak to another fiend in the flesh...we do exist!

• April 7, 2012 6:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Exactly!  We were in Macy's last Christmas and heard a weird Muzak-y version of Pixies "Gigantic".  We couldn't believe our ears, but no one else was paying any attention.  Zombie apocalypse now!

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I'm always shocked at how few people notice good background music.  Maybe it's the DJ in me but I'm always listening, me and other DJ friends try to name that tune before the other person, etc.  Others act like it's white noise.  Oh well.

• April 6, 2012 2:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm always shocked at how few people notice good background music.  Maybe it's the DJ in me but I'm always listening, me and other DJ friends try to name that tune before the other person, etc.  Others act like it's white noise.  Oh well.

• April 6, 2012 1:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sometimes for fun we'll go to a semi-divey bar when its not too crowded and play $5 worth of whatever garage/punk/psych/etc we can find on the digital jukebox (its there, you just have to pay extra for it).  Usually there isn't much of a reaction unless the bartender thanks us for not playing Top 10 crap.  Once in a great while though, we wind up meeting someone with our taste and spend the next few hours happily trading stories and recommendations for movies, music, etc. I guess if it happened all the time, it wouldn't be that special.

• April 5, 2012 11:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No man, it's true. Rod Stewart, Clapton, all these dusty old "classic" rockers. Remember, I'm a lot older than you, so I get approached a lot by fellow old farts.

And yes, I do love Tom T. I had the pleasure of performing for him in the early '80s here in Santa Fe. At that show Butch Hancock (The Flatlanders) joined me onstage for a duet on "America the Beautiful." True story!

G.G.Plant said:

I don't believe anyone actually asked you about the new Rod Stewart album.

and yeah we all like Tom T. Hall.

swt said:

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• April 5, 2012 6:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

and when you meet someone she/he's often in a band you listen to or heard of...

• April 5, 2012 5:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rarely...but I;d still consider garagepunk/garagerock/trash/sleaze/punkblues etc are all niche minority tastes - pound for pound you're gonna meet less people who share your tastes, but it's fucking awesome when you do :-)

• April 4, 2012 11:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't believe anyone actually asked you about the new Rod Stewart album.

and yeah we all like Tom T. Hall.

swt said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel