Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: How often do you meet people in person with your music taste?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 4, 2012 8:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As James knows (Cheech Marin voice: Uhhhhhh....We're not TOGETHER. We was just gunna meet some girls inside ! You know , pick 'em up !) , the Northern Soul mentality killed it for reissues in that field. That only means , if you see a reissue , "A bargain at $10" or more , that you can probably pick it up , next week . However , I don't know what these younger people mean. If it's an original , hard to find , LP in very good to mint shape , $10 would be a bargain...Even reissues have averaged 8 to 10 $ on vinyl for 20 - plus years....A lot of European reissues , now are twice that , or more.... For the same reason I just saw an article bemoaning the rising costs of gas , with a photo of a gas station sign , with prices listed at $4 to $4.19 a gallon , when it's this close to $5 on the North Side of Chicago....People seem to spend more , the deeper we get into recession. You'd think one  SUV or Hummer (Whatever.) with no passengers would be but a memory , but there's always a demand for penis substitute , right ?  If those kids see a record you once bought for a dollar to 50 cents for $10 and say (Eddie Murphy voice) "Whatta bargain", it means they have more money to set on fire.....And we're old enough to remember when the economy was on the rise.

The price of CDs should have gone down centuries ago , but , we talked about that , elsewhere.....As for newfound tolerance for Disco and Modern Soul (Meaning 80's and up.) ,  what's happening to our youth ?! (Sound of tears).

• April 3, 2012 12:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have noticed, in the last decade or so, a newer generation of collectors coming up who were weaned on soul/funk and are going out of their way to acquire it on vinyl.

It does amaze me to see people in their twenties buying the same singles I bought for 50 cents at Wax Trax Records long ago. I almost want to say, damn, where were these "soul kids" 25 years ago when I needed them?

The main difference I see with the younger crew is that:
      (a) they all seem to think that reissues are tools of the devil (shoot, I usually buy originals and reissues about equally)

(b) they think $10 is cheap (well, these folks did grow up in the post-CD age, so I guess they have a different viewpoint of what a bargain is)

(c) they're a lot more tolerant of disco and "modern soul" than I am

• April 3, 2012 4:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's getting better. Over the years, there have been spikes where it was more easy to see someone with the same tastes as yourself in places. Now, thanks to this site it has happened on a regular basis. Shirts, patches, bags and things have been a good conversation pick up point though.

But in everyday situations, hmmmmm. I often meet people with fairly the same taste in music, these people tend to be from the US though and have moved to Europe, coming from local scenes of either the West or Eastcoast, so there is common ground musicwise. I guess there is some kind of magnetism happening??

Most people I get to know outside of that, are not that much into music. For them, all this stuff outside of the big radio is just that "un-easy NOISE" - and no, that's no compliment ;) So, even if you point out what all is going on beyond that, there is not much ground to break, cause music to them is one of those activities that is immature and not worth the time next to lookin up new car models or patios, or early on vacation planning - you know the important things in life.

It often goes that way: "Oh, so you listen to that Rock'n'Roll stuff?? Elvis and the likes?? Are you a Rockabilly whatever type?? You don't dress it! All that stuff is too old fashioned for me, hehe!" Exaggerated of course, but that's the sum of it. I don't wanna play smart ass with these types, so I just let it go. But there are people with which you can have good, interesting talks about this kind of music and it's never a show off show.

And yeah, if the tone is right, I try to get into a conversation in a record store about, um, that record, but like y'all said: I don't push it.

Here for the stir

• April 2, 2012 7:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Exactly...If I already have it , Hell , spread the joy. But , I don't want to be pushy and cost the store a sale....Sometimes , people take my word for it. It's not like we become friends as a result....But , like James , when I first moved to Chicago , I DID meet a lot of friends in record stores. James and I met at the late , lamented Dr. Wax Records , 25 years ago. We've been BFF (Best Fuckin' Friends.....and  that's no SHIT ! ) since. I'd have a lot of people stop and talk to me when I wore my Link Wray jacket , in Chicago ,  I was'nt wearing it to meet "Cool people' , but ,   that's how it turned out , tho' it  rarely raised  an eyebrow when I lived in Dallas.

James Porter said:

What I think is odd is when I see somebody eyeballing an album cover with that "should I?" look.

I might tell them, "hey, that's a good one; you should buy it." And they'll shoot back: "And how come you're not buying it?"

It never dawns on them that I might have that same record at home and might want to recommend it to others. Is that so wrong? It's like they're assuming that just because they've never heard of it, others haven't either.

Hell, if I didn't own it, I might be silently wishing they'd put the damn thing back, so I could grab it for myself!

John Battles said:

SOMETIMES , I'LL SEE SOMEONE CHECKING OUT A GREAT RECORD WITH A LOOK , LIKE "SHOULD I ?", AND I'LL TRY TO ENCOURAGE THEM. But , that rarely turns into a real conversation...

• April 2, 2012 2:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's hard, but some of my best friends today were, when I met them, "music aqcuaintances". SHIT, I'm old!

;)

• April 2, 2012 1:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joanie Lindstrom said:

The worst is when you ask someone what kind of music they like and they say "Oh I like all kinds of music" which translates into "I don't really give a shit about music".

Accurate translation!!

• April 2, 2012 8:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I guess I'm the oddball in that it happens a bit more often for me here in Boston.  I've done radio for a long ass time (just had my 25th party, http://laterisersclub.org on WMBR) and people who work in the medical area where my real job is have come up to me to say hi. A post-doc from Copenhagen liked some of the same music (turned me onto Iceage from DK) and I've met some people at non-rock parties with similar taste.  Altho it's still the exception.  The worst is when you ask someone what kind of music they like and they say "Oh I like all kinds of music" which translates into "I don't really give a shit about music".

• April 2, 2012 1:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i'M SURE THE MAJORITY OF US ARE....IT'S OK IF SOME  PEOPLE ARE'NT. I DID'NT HAVE AN "IGGY EPIPHANY" OR A "STOOGES EPIPHANY" UNTIL I WAS IN MY EARLY 20's . I can't say why , i WAS WELL INTO gARAGE pUNK  THEN PROTO PUNK LIKE tHE MC5 , BLUE CHEER , AND tHE nEW yORK dOLLS , BEFORE I GOT INTO THE STOOGES. I LIKED "RAW POWER" , BUT , DID'NT BUY INTO THE WHOLE PARTY LINE TIL LATER. GO FIGURE.

Ghislaine Korb said:

...and c'mon aren't we all Stooges fans?

• April 2, 2012 1:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No , Ghislaine , but , I WAS a big fan during the first big Doors revival in the early 80's. I lost interest , tho'. I still like "LA WOMAN" , "THE WASP " and "ROADHOUSE BLUES" to an extent , but , I can't get into Morrisson like I did , back then. They certainly influened The Stooges , The Stranglers , The Nervebreakers , ETC.

Ghislaine Korb said:

NEVER!...oooh how come all of us say the same?WTF?

anybody a Doors fan here?

• April 2, 2012 1:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Funny you mention it , I have a couple of Dead Moon patches on my jackets. Occasionally , someone goes "WOW! DEADMOON! COOL!"....But , people are overprotective of their own percieved coolness in the city. What can ya do?

swt said:

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• April 1, 2012 4:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I pretty much never meet those who are into garage/punk 60s-contemporary/Rock'n'Roll..... I don't think people are into the idealistic view of having integrity in music anymore, be it lyrics, musical structure, or even intelligibility or even talent in performance. It seems most people USE popular music, if you can call it such now days, as a social vehicle to be popular by joining whatever cultural trends dominate at the moment. They might be into Karaoke R&B or  Karaoke Rap/hip hop set to an butchered instrumental loop of one of your favorite artists or pointless screaming to some monotone noise.  Ask anyone what they like about music now days and they might just say "the beat".. pretty ambitious stuff huh?.  I think those who are into THIS site appreciate some musical structure and chemistry of melody and rhythm, musicianship, arrangement, performance delivery, raw energy, passion, o r i g i n a l l i t y, maybe some lyrical sophistication or point and a kind of higher standard of aesthetic compared to the dominant "mainstream".  Call it snobbish or whatever!  People like the type music on Garage Punk Hideout because it's GOOD! I think that is why it's not typical to run into others with similar tastes

• April 1, 2012 11:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What I think is odd is when I see somebody eyeballing an album cover with that "should I?" look.

I might tell them, "hey, that's a good one; you should buy it." And they'll shoot back: "And how come you're not buying it?"

It never dawns on them that I might have that same record at home and might want to recommend it to others. Is that so wrong? It's like they're assuming that just because they've never heard of it, others haven't either.

Hell, if I didn't own it, I might be silently wishing they'd put the damn thing back, so I could grab it for myself!

John Battles said:

SOMETIMES , I'LL SEE SOMEONE CHECKING OUT A GREAT RECORD WITH A LOOK , LIKE "SHOULD I ?", AND I'LL TRY TO ENCOURAGE THEM. But , that rarely turns into a real conversation...

• April 1, 2012 11:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Once, in the early nineties, I met a couple of people who knew who Hasil Adkins was. Now, it's not so much of a big deal, but twenty years ago it sure as hell was. We were at a party around that time where I was accused of talking about music too much. And I can't really blame myself, considering how few people I knew back then (including John Battles) who were into that kind of music. Not that I was afraid to change the topic, but I wanted to milk that cow dry before we moved on down the list. And these people weren't even collectors, per se - they were just ordinary citizens who just happened to cross paths with Hasil's music somewhere down the road.

At that point, I was in my early 20s and did know people whose musical tastes were close to mine. But not to the point where they could go deep like that. I could wear a Replacements or Velvet Underground or Robert Johnson T-shirt and get thumbs-up from passersby. But as far as cratedigging for obscure 45s, I was the Lone Ranger. (Remember, this was when most people my age were dumping their vinyl for CDs.)

It's not like now, where every other hipster (male and female) goes digging for old singles and then gets a DJ night. Matter of fact, this is how much things have changed in two decades: back then, if I saw someone wearing a Sun Records T-shirt, ten times out of ten it was a stone-cold Sun fanatic who knew the lesser-knowns as well as the stars. Now, if you see someone in that same T-shirt, they probably won't know Sun from Moon; they just bought it because it was in the gift shop at Graceland.

Alex said:

I almost never run into people with the same music taste.  Basically if I want to go to a show or even the record store, I go alone.  When I do run into someone with the same taste at a party or something, I get pathetically giddy.  That said, I'm still amused every time my friends make jokes about my not liking bands that have more than 50 fans or bands that someone else has actually heard of.  It's a point of pride.

• April 1, 2012 9:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

no,i don't know it.When ''she smells so nice'' was ''released'' recently,i posted about it on the discussion forum and got ...maybe one or two replies.

melissa scott said:

Yes, and you know it -- Doors and Stooges.

At least we have the Hideout to 'meet' people with the same tastes in music, films, tv, cars, drinks, etc.... :D

Yeah, WTF? Could be because out and about people in general believe the hype that all strangers can't be trusted. But those same people are ok talking to strangers online. Go figger.

Ghislaine Korb said:

• April 1, 2012 2:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gonna go against the grain here and say pretty damn regularly. We're in a small city, but there are quite a few rock n roll bars that fill up every weekend with rockers and rollers. I moved here three years back from Manchester (UK) and, while there there's a massive amount of folks who you meet on a night with similar tastes, I never thought I'd be able to walk into a bar on a Sunday afternoon and hear The Sonics follwed by Tom Waits. I guess it also helps that everyone talks to strangers here. There's not that immediate cynicism that they must be after something.

• March 31, 2012 9:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nope. Even in a city as big as Los Angeles. Hell, ESPECIALLY in Los Angeles.

• March 31, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This stuff's been known , on a collector level since the early to mid 70's , then became something of a movement by the late 70's. But , there still are'nt enough people behind it to dismiss it as a "Fad".

Mardy Pune said:

Never, I'm known as the guy who listens to that weird music. One of my friends once told me the whole garage rock/punk thing was a fad that would be all gone in a couple of years...

• March 31, 2012 6:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Virtually NO ONE trusts anyone else , even if they're just saying hello , or dispensing with a stray compliment , to just say SOMETHING....Sometimes it does take something , like someone wering a T-shirt  or button that suggests they may like some of the same music as you. Even then , a lot of people are'nt real keen on conversing with people they don't (Yet) know....Not that that's the absolute rule , but it'slike that , most of the time.
       Alot of people think they're too cool. Merde.   
      melissa scott said:

At least we have the Hideout to 'meet' people with the same tastes in music, films, tv, cars, drinks, etc.... :D

Yeah, WTF? Could be because out and about people in general believe the hype that all strangers can't be trusted. But those same people are ok talking to strangers online. Go figger.

Ghislaine Korb said:

• March 31, 2012 6:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

True. I'm lucky we still have some , here.

dave said:

Every day!

That being said, the number has dwindled drastically with the closing of most record stores.

• March 31, 2012 6:10 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Never, I'm known as the guy who listens to that weird music. One of my friends once told me the whole garage rock/punk thing was a fad that would be all gone in a couple of years...

• March 31, 2012 6:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

let's just all meet then

• March 31, 2012 6:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It happened a lot when I worked in a record store in the mid-'80s.  Not so much since then.  I met quite a few recently at SXSW, but I'll have to wait a year to meet any more.

• March 31, 2012 4:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ghislaine Korb said:

• March 31, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

...and c'mon aren't we all Stooges fans?

• March 31, 2012 4:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel