Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: How often do you meet people in person with your music taste?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 31, 2012 2:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

....Not very often. People in record stores tend to be very focused on liner notes and stuff ....Well , so am I , BUT , i CAN'T SEE FOR SHIT. iT'S ALSO BECOME MORE OF A "COUPLES" thing. So , people generally don't want to be bugged by the likes of me , tho' I could probably teach them PLENTY....SOMETIMES , I'LL SEE SOMEONE CHECKING OUT A GREAT RECORD WITH A LOOK , LIKE "SHOULD I ?", AND I'LL TRY TO ENCOURAGE THEM. But , that rarely turns into a real conversation... AS FOR THE WORLD OUTSIDE THE SANCTUARY OF A RECORD STORE , It seldom happens. But , it used to. When I first moved to Chicago , 25 years ago , people seemed friendlier and more outgoing , regarding meeting people with similar tastes in music , because we all WANTED to meet such people , wherever they were , and they seemed to be almost everywhere , back when.

• March 31, 2012 11:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I run into the same kind of problem when I ask women I don't know "Can Your Pussy Do the Dog?"

electrocute your cock said:

Almost never. Sometimes I'll be shopping and I'll whisper to the person standing next to me "are you a boy or are you a girl" and see how they react. But it's not an approach I'd recommend, it can lead to all sorts of crazy misunderstandings.

• March 31, 2012 9:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Almost never. Sometimes I'll be shopping and I'll whisper to the person standing next to me "are you a boy or are you a girl" and see how they react. But it's not an approach I'd recommend, it can lead to all sorts of crazy misunderstandings.

• March 31, 2012 9:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just my band maids. We are the only 3 people in my country ( which I know) who are very  into 60's garage/psych/surf any kind of nice groovie old music. But there are people who like more major stuff like Ty Segall, The Black Lips, The Sonics etc....... But there are lot more of rockabilly psychobilly fans everyvere which I don't dig at all (with few exception)

• March 31, 2012 1:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• March 30, 2012 7:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

in real life... never. i always think, man, if I move to a better city I'll meet someone who truly gets my music taste,  but it seems like that's not the case from what you guys are saying.

• March 30, 2012 6:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never!

When I mention some of the bands I listen to, I get looks like I'm from another planet.

• March 30, 2012 3:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In RL? Has happened once in like 9 years here -- I noticed someone wearing a C&W style shirt and inquired where he got it (USA of course). Turned out, he was a big rockabilly fan and used to play in a band. That almost never happens.

kopper said:

Yeah, no shit. In real life? Aside from a garage/punk show (which I rarely ever go to anymore, anyway)? NEVER.

• March 30, 2012 3:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, no shit. In real life? Aside from a garage/punk show (which I rarely ever go to anymore, anyway)? NEVER.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• March 30, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Every day!

That being said, the number has dwindled drastically with the closing of most record stores.

• March 30, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not very often, that's for sure!!!

But doing a garagepunk radio show (Radio What Wave) i do come across some really cool people out there that actually have what i call, cool taste in music. In fact just last night, i had a young band called The Bad Bad Bad onair and these kids (early 20's i guess) actually got it, and have really good taste!! Talked to them for way too long which i tend to do when i come across like minded souls....

And like Pat says above, it's usually at records shows/stores or live shows in other towns that us outcasts of society usually meet up by some form of fate.

• March 30, 2012 6:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Jeez, I'd never want to meet any of you dickheads on purpose.

OK, just kidding.  I almost never run into people with the same music taste.  Basically if I want to go to a show or even the record store, I go alone.  When I do run into someone with the same taste at a party or something, I get pathetically giddy.  That said, I'm still amused every time my friends make jokes about my not liking bands that have more than 50 fans or bands that someone else has actually heard of.  It's a point of pride.

• March 30, 2012 3:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never...

If i meet someone with same taste it's because somehow i "provocate" the meeting by going where i could find those people ! By going in record stores or r'n'r bars in other towns/countries...

• March 30, 2012 12:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

not often enough that's for damn sure.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel