Forums » Continental U.S.

List of newest posts

• December 12, 2008 10:12 AM CST
    • I recently found this site dedicated to garage-type stuff in the NYC area... it's not affiliated with GaragePunk.com although I think those guys are all members here on the Hideout. Still support the site! There's a forum there, too: www.garagepunknyc.com

• December 11, 2008 5:06 PM CST
    • Yeah, I know, short notice but if yer around Cola-town, SC stop by the Whig on Main Street (across from the state house) fer a Greg Cartwright solo show with him DJing directly afterwards...think there's a 5 buck cover....should be a blast as it's Greg's first time in Cola-town since he played here with the Compulsive Gamblers too many fuckin' moons ago.

• December 11, 2008 12:25 PM CST
    • Put on your pea coats, ya pea-brains for our truncated version of the Winter Dance Party! After an ill-fated attempt to meet up in the summer, Thee Fine Lines and Thee Crucials are finally joining forces for a weekend of nonstop nonsense in St. Louis and Memphis. Thee Crucials are honored to share even the same men's room with Thee Fine Lines, so it's a mind-blower we get to play some music with 'em too.

Dec 12 @ Lemmons Pizza Parlor, St. Louis! River City ratfinks The Nevermores will make this a three-way throwdown.

Dec 13 @ the P&H Cafe, Memphis, with TSOT60s and the Loose Christies (a Lou Christie cover band? If they play "Tonight I Fell in Love," the beer is on me, unless I've spent all my dough at Goner and Shangri-La).

• December 10, 2008 12:46 PM CST
    • I have two fill in Slots coming up on WFMU- Saturday Dec 20th 2am - 6am (EST) This will be a Train Themed Show Thursday Dec 25th 2am - 6am (EST) This will be a Bell themed show... I desperately need song with bells in the title or in the actual song. Please pass along any songs you can think of! Would be EXTREMELY helpful! I'll even send a big thank you over the airwaves!

• November 18, 2008 4:14 PM CST
    • I volunteer here at WFMU (Jersey City, NJ) and do fill in shows until I can have my own show. Check out the Halloween debauchery on the archives. It was from 2 am to 6 am... so keep that in mind. I also do a podcast of my own called Underwater Theme Park which is a shorter version of my WFMU one. Check it out and lemme know what you think. Yes... by the way, each show is based on a theme, so the music choices change accordingly.

• December 8, 2008 9:26 AM CST
    • Put on your pea coats, ya pea-brains for our truncated version of the Winter Dance Party! After an ill-fated attempt to meet up in the summer, Thee Fine Lines and Thee Crucials are finally joining forces for a weekend of nonstop nonsense in St. Louis and Memphis. Thee Crucials are honored to share even the same men's room with Thee Fine Lines, so it's a mind-blower we get to play some music with 'em too.

Dec 12 @ Lemmons Pizza Parlor, St. Louis! River City ratfinks The Nevermores will make this a three-way throwdown.
      Finally, I get to meet Ryan Katastrophe and Kopper!
      Dec 13 @ the P&H Cafe, Memphis, with TSOT60s and the Loose Christies (a Lou Christie cover band? If they play "Tonight I Fell in Love," the beer is on me, unless I've spent all my dough at Goner and Shangri-La).

• December 7, 2008 11:32 PM CST
    • I am about to be there for a week for work. Anybody know much about the place? Cool food, record shops, bars, etc?

• November 26, 2008 4:09 AM CST
    • Hi Melissa! I'm a promoter/booking agent from Montreal of a new production company, Teenbeat Takeover!, and would be interested in showing your documentary for a public screening... Please contact me via email if there is interest on your part: oliverbesner@sympatico.ca Thanks! melissa said:

Ya sure... I'll pay what we are paying ourselves... bet you can guess how much that is...LOL! Seriously, thanks again... And as for screenings in LA - yes we hope to do something there eventually. It will be awhile before we screen anywhere agian - film fests and distributors both have weird rules about public screenings.... ...

• November 21, 2008 10:41 AM CST
    • Ya sure... I'll pay what we are paying ourselves... bet you can guess how much that is...LOL! Seriously, thanks again... And as for screenings in LA - yes we hope to do something there eventually. It will be awhile before we screen anywhere agian - film fests and distributors both have weird rules about public screenings.... ...

• November 19, 2008 3:05 PM CST
    • Hey Melissa...I'm getting a check for this promotional work I'm doing here, right?

• November 19, 2008 11:21 AM CST
    • I'm sure the documentary will do well in other cities but the after party won't be the same as the original screening. You guys had Larry & The Blue Notes, The Elite & The Excels on the same stage all in one night. That would have blown my mind! I hope there will be a screening in LA, I'll go for sure. On a side note does anyone have any info of future shows the above mentioned bands will be doing? I would love to catch these guys in action. Thanks melissa said:

Hey, wow! I'm the director of Teen A Go Go... I was just surfing looking for any nods we might have gotten... and this is great! Thank you for the interest and nice comments... To those of you asking about future screenings in europe and dvds - we are planning on both... Are there any film fests you can recommend over there? We are interested Berlin, but that is a yeara way now...By the way, we would love to always have a Battle of the Bands Jam after each festival screening or special screenings no matter where it takes place... I thought it would be cool to have bands from whatever town we are in play these parties... so in essence we can shine light on garage bands everywhere we go!!

Zorch Surfer said:
      I can't believe I missed this. I am so bummed! Why the hell don't I check this site more often. Excuse me while I jump out the window....

• November 19, 2008 11:05 AM CST
    • Hey, wow! I'm the director of Teen A Go Go... I was just surfing looking for any nods we might have gotten... and this is great! Thank you for the interest and nice comments... To those of you asking about future screenings in europe and dvds - we are planning on both... Are there any film fests you can recommend over there? We are interested Berlin, but that is a yeara way now...By the way, we would love to always have a Battle of the Bands Jam after each festival screening or special screenings no matter where it takes place... I thought it would be cool to have bands from whatever town we are in play these parties... so in essence we can shine light on garage bands everywhere we go!! Zorch Surfer said:

I can't believe I missed this. I am so bummed! Why the hell don't I check this site more often. Excuse me while I jump out the window....

• November 18, 2008 1:03 PM CST
    • I can't believe I missed this. I am so bummed! Why the hell don't I check this site more often. Excuse me while I jump out the window....

• November 18, 2008 3:20 AM CST
    • i feel nothing but sheer jealousy now!and a battle of the bands after the screening?what else you want out of music in your town?

• November 17, 2008 2:58 PM CST
    • Last night was the first local public screening of TEEN A GO-GO to a warm and enthusiastic sold out crowd. The audience seemed to really like it, but it was made up of band members and their families and friends, so they weren't gonna like boo it or anything even if they didn't like it. The fun part was the after-party, with a battle of the bands (The Excels, The Mods, The Elite, Larry & the Blue Notes and John Nitzinger of the Barons) complete with go-go girls and voting for your favorite band. Larry & the Blue Notes were great (check them out at the Ponderosa Stomp show at the next SXSW), followed closely by the Elite. It's still hard for me to believe that my town's garage scene produced 3 volumes of FW Teen Scene AND now a doctumentary. It's just awesome to me that the tunes and the bands and the guys that made the music have been preserved so that they can be appreciated like they deserve to be...as opposed to being lost forever to obscurity.

• November 25, 2008 6:24 PM CST
    • I'm in a town of 4,000 just outside of Peoria. Blah.

• November 22, 2008 8:35 AM CST
    • No but i will be in LA in the 2009 and want to do some shows so will be looking for two hired guns myself...

• November 13, 2008 10:52 AM CST
    • Is anyone out there!??????

• November 19, 2008 1:32 PM CST
    • Route 44 skateshop should have something for you

• November 17, 2008 2:55 AM CST
    • I saw the Dolls in '74 when everyone was still alive and it still blows my mind to this day. But from what I've seen of the "new" New York Dolls (on tv), it would be horribly disappointing to me now. But if someone were to go without pre-conceptions, a New York Dolls "experience" could be satisfying. Closing your eyes would be helpful.

• November 17, 2008 12:57 AM CST
    • X is playing, too. According to the grape vine, the Dolls' recent shows haven't been that great. Dunno about X, but the two acts together might be worth the ticketmaster price.

• November 16, 2008 5:08 PM CST
    • Hello fellow hideout members,

I found out that the New York Dolls will be in LA in December. I want to go but I heard mixed reviews about their recent shows. I need advice. What do you people know abou this subject? I appreciate your help :)

• November 16, 2008 10:52 PM CST
    • hello. i'm in a rock n' roll band from the hudson valley region of ny. we play mostly in this area, as well as albany. are there any other bands of the rocky rolly garage variety that's interested in playing with us? please, anyone, anything but these kung fu hardcore jibba jabba bands. we're always looking for someplace to play.

• November 16, 2008 2:40 PM CST
    • Hey, haven't checked in here for a very long time. Just wanted to say we're still doing our radio show on WNMC 90.7 Fm Traverse City Michigan. Tune in online at www.wnmc.org every other Friday night from 11PM to 2AM. Next time we are on is November 28 from 11PM to 2AM EST. Add us on MySpace also at www.myspace.com/inthered67 JT & Hideelee

• November 9, 2008 4:02 PM CST
    • Theresa Kereakes To Show Punk Photography Retrospective At Metropolis Gallery

History Of '70s Punk Icons To Be Displayed

December 5 - January 31, 2008 in Lancaster, PA
      Opening reception: Friday, December 5, 6 p.m. - 10 p.m.

OCTOBER 8, 2008 – Folks in the music industry love to throw around the phrase "back in the day" - a nod to how much more innovative and fresh and new things were at some undefinable point in the past. Few folks, however, can truly define "back in the day". Fewer still can claim to have been there.

Photographer Theresa Kereakes is one of those people. Kereakes' life took a fabled turn when she did the first photo shoot for a friend's new band. That band? Punk legends THE GERMS.

Shorty after that photo shoot, Kereakes became the default documenter of the Sunset Strip scene during the late '70s, photographing her close friends as they cumulatively wrote an important chapter in Rock History. The photographs of those friends - now icons and household names like IGGY POP, BLONDIE, JOAN JETT, BILLY IDOL, THE DEAD BOYS and more - have become the foremost collection of this classic, controversial time. As Theresa herself puts it, "I was there. See?"

Theresa's photos have been seen in Playboy, Rolling Stone, Trouser Press and Creem. Her album credits include THE GERMS "Forming" 7-inch, STIV BATORS, THE CHILDREN OF NUGGETS box set, THE DEAD BOYS, MARY WEISS of THE SHANGRI-LAS, and THE PANDORAS.

Theresa's many book credits faithfully show the significance of her classic '70s and '80s punk photos, and include the voluminous "Punk Turns 30," as well as many pieces in "Punk 365," "Bomp Records," "The Official Punk Rock Book Of Lists," The Debbie Harry biography "Platinum Blonde" and "Heebie Jeebies At CBGB's."

All of these images, and the stories they tell, come together in Theresa's monumental collection of rare and classic images from the punk rock heyday of the late '70s, entitled: "Unguarded Moments: Backstage And Beyond." On stage, off stage, at home, personal, and private - Theresa's true strength is showing us what others never could: that rare backstage-pass, an elite VIP invite to the after-show party and every rock 'n' roll fan's dream. Layered beneath the gloss and the grit is the truth behind fame: everybody has an unguarded moment where his or her innate humanity is revealed.

About The Show
      The opening reception for "Unguarded Moments: Backstage And Beyond" is December 5th, 2008. Beautifully stark Black and White photos by Kereakes display the grand history of late '70s Los Angeles. They show the world she shared with some of the most influential and legendary performers of the final quarter of the 20th Century: raw and candid images of DEBBIE HARRY, CHRISSIE HYNDE, JOAN JETT, BILLY IDOL, BELINDA CARLISLE and THE GO GO'S, THE CRAMPS, THE GERMS, THE SEX PISTOLS, THE RAMONES, THE DEAD BOYS, THE AVENGERS, IGGY POP and even some guest appearances by rock legends DAVID BOWIE, BOB DYLAN and KEITH RICHARDS.

About Metropolis Gallery
      METROPOLIS is both a retail store and art gallery located in the heart of downtown Lancaster, PA, which features an amalgam of mid-century modern furniture, designer art toys and modern art. METROPOLIS's founders, Angelo and Lisa Madrigale, have deep roots in independent music culture, including a combined 30 years of experience in music retail.

Additionally, Angelo, a former music journalist, has interviewed everyone from RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE to THE MISFITS to HENRY ROLLINS to WESLEY WILLIS. Madrigale has also released three lauded albums as drummer for the post-punk outfit SADAHARU.

In addition to holding the position of head-buyer for Tower Records' main store in Detroit, Lisa has 10 years of experience as a show promoter in the greater Detroit area, having booked acts such as THE OFFSPRING, NOFX, AFGHAN WHIGS and THE JESUS LIZARD.