Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 21, 2013 4:50 PM CDT
    • Great read. I'm amazed but not shocked that the "scene" hasnt changed much at all when it comes to race and racism. Everything Bangs wrote about still happens, far too often than it ever should in a culture that is said to embrace differences. 

• August 21, 2013 2:50 PM CDT
    • This articles deserve a double take. 

I DO live in a 70%-plus white city, but still it is everywhere:  The underlying racist sentiment that's ever so cool and subversive behind the cheap lip service of the ever-bullshiting "that's not PC."  Because everyone knows what they're supposed to do and say, right..... So, this is nothing new and saying it means absolutely NOTHING!  It was once prevalent in the 70s/80s New Wave & Punk scene, now it's being transplanted into the many other rising new subcultures. . . whatever they'll be called in the future.

Ex.  I go to a hip whitewashed coffee shop around here and hear them playing rap music loudly, yet I'll hear one of the tres cool Free People ala UrbanOutfitter-style wearing employees describe a neighborhood street where there are at least 2+ black or latino families described as "sketch" and it's inhabitants as "creepy" without ever bothering to get to know them, make eye contact, say hello, or otherwise be human to them in any way.  Low income neighborhoods are naturally "bad" and homeless people, etc, are "fucked UP!", right?  Where's the insight, respect, and the humanity gone?  It's the damn 70s/80s all over... or at least it's trying.  Are we really gaining any headway?  Maybe someone has put this up in the past, but since the site is new and BTW I live in U.S., but Canada & Europe is no exception either.....

Lester Bangs' "The White Noise Supremist":

http://www.mariabuszek.com/kcai/PoMoSeminar/Readings/BangsWhite.pdf

• August 21, 2013 4:16 PM CDT
    • I'm going to see this next week here in Toronto. Pretty excited to see it. Broke out "For the World To See" the other day. Been at least a year since I've played it. Such a killer record. 

As far as the ad stating "before there was punk"...well before there was Death there was the MC5, before them the Sonics, before them the Wailers, before them Little Richard who is probably the most punk thing ever...so whatever. Jazzed to see the flcik. 

• August 20, 2013 10:55 AM CDT
    • I'd agree and completely understand the "attention grabbing" angle...if only not for  a scene in the documentary where the guy from the Roots says "the ramones get all the credit, but Death was doing what they were doing only 2 years earlier". BULLSHIT THEY WERE ;)

But whatever.....me being nitpicky aside, the band is amazing and definitely deserves the attention they're getting.

• August 20, 2013 10:29 AM CDT
    • I agree about the Ramones name being used to draw attention to the documentary, but I don't really have a problem with that, because the band deserves more attention and that definitely draws potential viewers. Whatever the advertising tactics, I thought it was really good, and it led me to the album so I can't really complain. Annnd I also agree about the Ramones vs. Death being apples & oranges; both great in their own ways.

• August 19, 2013 12:20 PM CDT
    • Sounds like the ad just wanted to catch people's attention with an easily identifiable name rather than anything else... Ramones vs. Death, apples and oranges if you ask me. They sound completely different. Death ended up sounding more like 70s RAWK with a funk tone (like the bulk of 70s rock).  They should have compared them to MC5 rather than The Ramones' powerpop sound.

Modern music doesn't have a color or a racial claim that goes with it. It evolves into what it is by different influences that actual written history can't always account for.  Ex. Scott Joplin was the son of a slave and freeborn taught by a German music professor (teaching in the U.S.) because he had the passion for music and wanted to learn.  He's the said godfather of ragtime/dixieland... and so forth into jazz.  At least that's the story we get.  In the 20s, EVERYONE is playing jazz and changing it about, everyone contributes. Rockabilly came about via the combination of blues & country blah, blah.. everyone has a place in the history of modern sounds....

I haven't even seen the documentary yet, but always a fan of Death. I keep meaning to see it. Glad to get some reviews here.

• August 21, 2013 3:39 PM CDT
    • Bloodshot Bill?

• August 21, 2013 3:37 PM CDT
    • Mike Bails said:
      Thanks Alison. Yeah I dunno if I mean rockabilly or just straight up Little Richard style rock and roll really. But I like it cheers! I've not really got anywhere in my quest. Maybe some Nick Curran and the Lowlifes. http://youtu.be/XeDtqpKVp0c

Ha! I was just going to mention Nick Curran.

Well, hell, if you like that, you should check out the Swingin' Neckbreakers...

• August 21, 2013 3:25 PM CDT
    • The Hemingers make me super happy. 

• August 21, 2013 12:55 PM CDT
    • Thanks Alison. Yeah I dunno if I mean rockabilly or just straight up Little Richard style rock and roll really. But I like it cheers! I've not really got anywhere in my quest. Maybe some Nick Curran and the Lowlifes.

http://youtu.be/XeDtqpKVp0c

• August 21, 2013 2:31 PM CDT
    • GORCIAS said:

I'm really into Thee Cormans these days and recently discovered a band called Sandy Pussy that did the soundtrack for the movie Zombies VS Strippers. Or was it Strippers VS Zombies? I'd love to find more surf bands like these that really utilize distortion, fuzz, evil, and a shit ton of reverb.

You should check out Beware! Dangers of a Ghost Scorpion from Boston - awesome surf that keeps it nice and evil.

Also, Thee Icepicks from Portland are great and they use some fuzz and cool-ass theremin in their sound!

• August 21, 2013 1:32 PM CDT
    • I fear for this. Julien Temple is a reliable director with a feel for rock and roll but after seeing the horrible casting and languide interpretation of On the Road, I fret for the results. Remember that Beach Boys flick where the guy playing Mike Love towered over everyone? Cross your fingers that Ray Davies has the final word.

• August 20, 2013 2:00 PM CDT
    • So far, there doesn't appear to be a way to view how many individual people have logged in to the new place. Here are some stats on the network's traffic for the 14 days it's been back open, the 14 days before it was closed, and the same 14 days last year. 

Since reopening:
      August 7th, 2013 - August 20th, 2013
      6188 visits
      3,053 unique visitors
      9.81 pages per visit
      60K pageviews
      Average duration: 9:23

Same dates last year:
      August 7th, 2012 - August 20th, 2012
      15,556 visits
      10,429 unique visitors
      3.51 pages per visit
      49K pageviews
      Average duration: 2:57

Before closing Ning:
      Jun 28th, 2013 - July 11th, 2013
      11,441 visits
      7,842 unique visitors
      3.12 pages per visit
      35K pageviews
      Average duration: 3:09

Since reopening, the amount of individual pages viewed, pages per visit, and average duration has increased dramatically, compared to both past date brackets at the Ning hideout. 

Ads are seen by people that are not logged in. And, regardless of how many people log in or view the site at any given time, your ad runs until it reaches those views. Whether it takes 1 day or 60 days to reach that many views. 

• August 20, 2013 12:52 PM CDT
    • As the original post says, I'll be doing a series of new ads in this forum -- I was looking for OTHER places, radio shows, etc.

BTW, how many members have re-joined the relaunched Haragepunk Hideout site so far? While @6,000 were members before, I'd like to know how many potential viewers could see an ad here currently.

Thanks for your help! ;)

• August 20, 2013 12:47 PM CDT
    • Right here! ;)

http://garagepunk.com/pages/advertise

• August 20, 2013 11:25 AM CDT
    • Tim:  If you have a radio ready ad, i'd be more than happy to play it on Radio What Wave out of London Ontario Canada.

• August 20, 2013 12:23 PM CDT
    • Last week's show!

12:04PM The Velvet Underground “We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together” from Volume 1 (1988) on Mercury (USA)

12:07PM Wilbert Harrison “Let's Stick Together” from The Fire & Fury of Bobby Robinson (2000) on RPM
      12:10PM The Troggs “Let's Pull Together” from The Singles A's & B's (2004) on Repertoire
      12:13PM Outrageous Cherry “Togetherness” from Out There in the Dark (2000) on Del-Fi
      12:15PM The Groovie Goolies “We Go So Good Together” from Groovie Goolies (1970) on RCA Victor (us)
      12:19PM Buck Owens “Together Again” from Live at Carnegie Hall on CAPITOL (usa)
      12:21PM Ritchie Valens “We Belong Together” from Rockin' All Night (1995) on Del-Fi Records
      12:27PM Dwight Twilley “Invasion” from Dwight Twilley Don't Mind (1977) on Arista (USA)
      12:30PM Pezband “Please Be Somewhere Tonight” from Pezband (1977) on Passport
      12:34PM The Motors “You Beat the Hell Outta Me” from Approved By the Motors (1978) on Virgin Records
      12:37PM The Accelerators “Tears” from The Accelerators (1988) on Priority
      12:41PM Dwight Twilley “Trying to Find My Baby” from Twilley Don't Mind (1977) on Arista (USA)
      12:46PM The Standells “Last Train to Clarksville” from Action! The Songs Of Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart (2012) on Ace (UK)
      12:49PM Colleen Green “Number One” from Sock it to Me (2013) on Hardly Art
      12:52PM The Queers “I Don't Wanna Go to the Moon” from Today (2001) on Lookout
      12:54PM The Downbeat 5 “Come On Now” from Smoke & Mirrors (2006) on Steel Cage Records
      12:56PM The Woggles “Jezebel” from The Big Beat (2013) on Wicked Cool Records,Inc.
      01:03PM Muddy Udders “Mouth Breathin' Man” from Bloody Murders (2012) on Ionik RecordingsLocal
      01:05PM The Hussy “I Told You So” from Pagan Hiss (2013) on Southpaw Local
      01:08PM The Hussy “Woodland Creature” from Pagan Hiss (2013) on Southpaw Local
      01:12PM Tenement “Simple Things (Can Seem So Involved)” from Napalm Dream (2011) onMandible Records / Hang Up Records
      01:17PM Daddy Long Legs “You'll Be Mine” from Evil Eye On You (2012) on Norton Records Inc.
      01:22PM The Piggies “Parachute Woman” from Rolling Stones Singles Series (2013) on Norton Records New
      01:24PM The Morlocks “Who Do You Love” from The Morlocks Play Chess (2010) on Fargo
      01:27PM The Curios “Chicken Back, Pt. 1” from Bo Did It on Satan
      01:30PM The Enchanters Four “Like Tuff” from Pulp and Pop Culture Box Set (2013) on Rockbeat
      01:32PM Los Streaks “Devil with a Blue Dress” from Los Nuggetz - 60's Punk, Pop and Psychedelic From Latin America (2013) on Rockbeat Records
      01:37PM The Ugly Beats “Light Comes On” from Take A Stand (2007) on Get Hip
      01:41PM The Stents “Limbs” from Limbs - Single (2013) on Hidden Volume New
      01:43PM Labretta Suede & The Motel 6 “Beach Party Town” from Dirty and Dumb (2011) onLabretta Suede and The Motel 6
      01:47PM The Friggs “Juiced Up” from Rock Candy (1997) on E-Vil Records
      01:51PM Cyanide Pills “Hiding In the Night” from Still Bored (2013) on Damaged Goods
      01:53PM Brijitte West & the Desperate Hopefuls “Hey Papito” from S/t (2010) on Devil's Jukebox
      01:56PM The Insomniacs “She's a Mess” from Switched On (2004) on Estrus (USA)
      01:58PM Missing Monuments “Another Girl” from Missing Monuments (2013) on Dirtnap RecordsNew
      02:05PM The Attention! “Blue Heat” from Gettin' All the Attention! (2012) on Screaming Apple
      02:07PM Cal Peck and the Tramps “Just One Thing” from Cal Peck and the Tramps (2013) onOff The Hip (Australia) New
      02:10PM Los Chicos “A Miracle Working” from In the Age of Stupidity (2012) on Off The Hip(Australia)
      02:12PM The Original Sins “I Surrender” from Move (1992) on Psonik
      02:15PM The Watzloves “I Have A Dream” from Rockin' Country Gumbo (2002) on Voodoo Rhythm
      02:18PM DM Bob and The Deficits “Into My Own Thing” from Cajun Creole Hot Nuts (2001) onVoodoo Rhythm
      02:25PM Hickoids “Cool Arrow” from Hairy Chafin' Ape Suit (2013) on Saustex New
      02:29PM Bloodshot Bill “Blue Days, Black Nights” from The Lonesome Road (2013) on Norton Records
      02:33PM Salty Pajamas “Monsters Under Your Bed” from Salty Pajamas (2012) on Off Label Records
      02:37PM Olendário Chucrobillyman “Chicken Strangle” from The Chicken Album (2012) on Off Label
      02:41PM Hunx And His Punx “Rat Bag” from Street Punk (2013) on Hardly Art
      02:43PM Las Ardillas “Linda Niña” from Linda Niña - Single (2013) on Slovenly Recordings
      02:48PM Gentlemen Jesse & The Men “We've Got to Get Out of Here” from Leaving Atlanta(2012) on Douchemaster
      02:52PM The Revillos “Hippy Hippy Sheik” from Rev-Up! (2001) on Captain Oi!

Phone interview with Allister from Light Bulb Alley

02:57PM The Hangmen “Had A Girl” from East Of Western (2012) on Cargo

• August 20, 2013 11:06 AM CDT
    • As long as they have stuff like this, I'm happy

Picked up some classics at the KSFR book & record sale today

• August 20, 2013 10:43 AM CDT
    • The Trip! Aug. 11th Show: Mods Vs. Rockers!  

Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130811-0030-t1376177400.mp3

The Setlist: 

BILL MARTIN & PHIL COULTER - MODS & ROCKERS 
      THE DYNAMICS- MISERY 
      VINCE TAYLOR - BRAND NEW CADILLAC 
      SAM COOKE - SHAKE 
      GENE VINCENT AND HIS BLUE CAPS - BE-BOP-A-LULA 
      JAMES BROWN - SHOUT & SHIMMY 
      LEITH STEVENS - THE WILD ONE TRAILER 
      EDDIE COCHRAN- SOMETHING ELSE 
      TONY JACKSON GROUP - FORTUNE TELLER 
      JOHNNY BURNETTE TRIO - TRAIN KEPT A ROLLIN' 
      YARDBIRDS - I'M A MAN 
      JERRY LEE LEWIS - THE WILD ONE 
      THE BIRDS - LEAVING HERE 
      GENE MALTAIS - GANG WAR 
      MARVIN GAYE - HITCH HIKE 
      CHUCK BERRY - NADINE 
      RAY CHARLES - WHAT'D I SAY 
      CLIFF RICHARD & THE DRIFTERS- MEAN STREAK 
      THE KINKS - I GOTTA MOVE 
      BILLY FURY - DON'T JUMP 
      THE WHO - ANYWAY, ANYHOW, ANYWHERE 
      THE BEAT MOVEMENT - KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON 
      LITTLE RICHARD - RIP IT UP 
      THE JAM - ALL MOD CONS 
      WANDA JACKSON - LET'S HAVE A PARTY 
      THE ANIMALS - I'M CRYING 
      BRIAN SETZER - IGNITION

• August 20, 2013 10:24 AM CDT
    • Rev. Norb said:

So, has anyone found the light in the darkness of insanity on this topic yet, or are you all, like me, just perplexed and at a standstill?

I'm actually still trying to get in touch with someone at Mevio. Our previous contact there, Michael Butler, no longer works for 'em. So I submitted a support ticket explaining that we need to add a couple new shows, and I'm still waiting to hear back. On Twitter, I noticed that their old "Mevio Music" account has been changed to @BiteSize... with a new website: bitesizetv.com... so I don't know if that's going to eventually replace Mevio or what.

• August 20, 2013 10:15 AM CDT
    • I think this is it, no?

• August 20, 2013 7:33 AM CDT
    • It's cool, Buzz. Since we did away with all those old group forums, Shakin' Street is still OK to post playlists. And, technically, a radio show topic COULD BE a "discussion topic" if people reply and make requests or ask you about your show or a specific band you play and stuff, right? Right! So it's totally OK to post these here. Of course, you can use your blog for that, too. We're in the process of moving the old group forum topics from the old site into their appropriate forums here on the new Hideout. I just moved your old playlists topic, in fact. It's here now:

http://garagepunk.com/forums/topic/55/buzz-s-garage-wmse-milwaukee

Cheers!

kopper

• August 19, 2013 7:17 PM CDT
    • swt said:

As for me, I hate Josie & The Pussycats. They just ripped off The Archies. You didn't hear Wislon Pickett covering any Josie songs.

I love Josie & The Pussycats! The 2001 movie, that is. The music is fabulous, Kay Hanley of Letters To Cleo on lead vocals. The movie is trash-tastic, and deeper than you'd think, a satire on modern materialism. 'tube the trailer. 

• August 19, 2013 3:22 PM CDT
    • FRIEDLES? NO MY WIFE AND I GOT THEIR ROOM WHEN THEY PASSED AWAY. JONES? THEY WERE IN THE ROOM NEXT TO OURS.....

• August 19, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
    • POWERVIOLENCE? iS THAT A GENRE TERM?  EDUNIONALCATE ME , NOW. yOU KNOW WE WENT TO DIFFERENT SCHOOLS TOGETHER.