Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 16, 2013 2:22 PM CDT
    • I , technically , subbed for Farren , once , about 10 years ago. My friend , Plastic Crimewave , puts on a big Psych festival at The Empty Bottle in Chicago ,  yearly. So , Farren was slated to be the uber - special guest and headliner (Over Michael Yonkers.). But , he cancelled at the last minute and myself , and our friend , Chris Connolly (I am NOT into that Waxtrax stuff in the least , but Connolly is a prince among men.) were asked to sing some of the songs Mick would have sang. I did "Slumlord" and "Trouble Coming Every Day"(With a verse thrown in for the recently deceased Arthur Kane. He'd been beaten , nearly to death , during the Rodney King riots in Watts.) , and Chris Connolly blew my shit off the stage with a cool - as - fuck "I'm Coming Home".

He had the name recognition , but , we both went over really well. The band sounded great , playing  those songs. I always felt that Farren missed out.

• August 16, 2013 1:03 AM CDT
    • RIP. Now I wanna drink.

• August 15, 2013 8:57 PM CDT
    • Yeah , Farren definitely had the look , but , like The Dolls and other bands influenced by The Five , he probably was'nt aware of them until "Kick Out The Jams" came out.....possibly not ,he could haveseen something in the Underground PRESS IN 67 OR EARLY 68. He said that he had to tell The MC5 THEY WOULD'NT BE PAID TO PLAY THE PHUN CITY FESTIVAL , as it  had been turned into a free festival (They could'nt take donations from the crowd for a band that flew overseas to play?). bUT , FARREN REMEMBERED IT AS , HE TOLD THEM BEFORE THEY WENT ON , AND WAYNE KRAMER SAID , AT FARREN'S MEMORIAL , MICK DID'NT TELL THEM UNTIL AFTER THEY PLAYED.   I USED TO KNOW WAYNE KRAMER , THO' NOT REAL WELL. HE TOLD ME HE HAD JUST HEARD A TAPE OF A RADIO INTERVIEW WHERE FRED SMITH DESCRIBED A RIOT THAT BROKE OUT AT ONE OF THEIR GIGS. HE TOLD ME HE REMEMBERED THAT HAPPENING , BUT , NOT HOW SMITH DESCRIBED IT , BUT , SINCE IT HAD JUST HAPPENED WHEN HE RECALLED THE EVENT , HIS RECOLLECTION HAD TO BE RIGHT. WE ALL REMEMBER THINGS HOW WE WANT TO. IT DOES'NT MEAN YOU'RE LYING IF YOU SAY IT AS YOU REMEMBER IT. I TOLD WAYNE , WHEN I MET ROB TYNER , HE SAID JAMES BROWN WAS THEIR IDOL (TRUE DAT.) , BUT THEY NEVER DID ANY OFHIS SONGS. WAYNE KNOWS THAT'S WRONG , I KNEW IT WAS WRONG AT THE TIME.....BUT , IT WAS JUST HOW ROB REMEMBERED IT.

• August 15, 2013 7:48 PM CDT
    • Highly relavent to the subject I'd say... I agree 100% about them being the British equivalent to MC5 & The Stooges, or just themselves.  Mick's got the look.  (BTW, don't check my spelling, I write for a living and it has to be in written grammatic perfection all the way, so I don't think 'bout mine or others off hours). 

Ahhh Stiff Records, where would my happiness be without them.

• August 15, 2013 5:21 PM CDT
    • Irrelevant info of moderate interest : Wilko Johnson (Still Alive , You Bastards!) played the Guitar solo on "I Wanna Drink". I FIRST READ ABOUT THE DEVIANTS IN "THE ACID TRIP "BOOK.  They seemed like Britain's counterpart to The MC5 and Stooges ,and ,on many levels , they were.....Tho' they were also heavily into The (Early) Mothers , and , no doubt , The Fugs  . Of course , "Ptoooff!!"(check for spelling) came out two years before The Stooges' debut , but , parts of it , especially "I'm Coming Home" forsee that album and sound.       I first found the "Outrageous Contagious"EP on Stiff , and it suceeds in not embarrassing itself in the wake of Punk , just as surely as Twink's band , The Rings' Chiswick single , and The Downliners Sect's and Troggs' 45s on Raw.  Later , I actually found "Deviants 3" in a charity thrift shop.....Later still , I almost passed on "Human Garbage" because it looked like a Hardcore record . Boy , was I surprised . The other stuff was later , finally , reissued on CD , and I picked those up , too.....

• August 16, 2013 2:08 PM CDT
    • i WOULD'NT SAY LOS SAICOS INVENTED PUNK , BUT , THAT DOES'NT TAKE AWAY FROM THE FACT THAT THEY RECORDED AND PERFORMED SOME OF THE MOST DEMENTED SOUNDS ON EARTH UP TO THAT POINT.   BUT , THERE WERE A LOT OF TALENTED BANDS IN PERU DURING THE GARAGE-EARLY PSYCH PERIODS , THAT CUT SOME PRETTY CRAZY SOUNDS. SOUTH AMERICA AS A WHOLE AND MEXICO , TOO.

I bought Los Saicos' 10" reissue in '99 , and , later , the CD , because I found it cheap , and it had a few extra tracks.

• August 16, 2013 10:50 AM CDT
    •  

The most badass of all '60s girl groups, The Hookers. Hits include "On The Stroll," "He's a Pimp," and "Brothel of Love."

• August 16, 2013 9:43 AM CDT
    • I  never had much interest in either bands, because i started at a young age with bands influenced BY them. I heard the first New York Dolls album before I heard any Stones albums....so my way of thinking was "Why have the Stones when I could have an even rawer, sloppier, faster version of the Stones?".
      I'd say another thing that happened was that Punk made me take more accessible things for granted. I knew that I could always go to a record store and find something by the stones or Beatles. I think my first Stones cd wasn't until I was like 19. I was working at a gas station, and some guy around midnight popped open his trunk and asked me if I wanted to buy some cd's because he needed money for the Newfoundland ferry.

In terms of the big 60's bands though, I always loved The Who

I like both the stones and beatles though, and i'm sure overtime I'll like them more and more.

• August 15, 2013 5:35 PM CDT
    • If I replied before , I apologize in advance. Stones. The Beatles were my favorite band for many years. As I said elsewhere , I'm just barely old enough to remember The Beatles when they were still together. In the late 60's , you had The Beatles coming out of your ears . i really don't remember hearing The Stones much until the Early 70's. My oldest Brother was a big fan. I remember seeing "Ladies and Gentlemen , The Rolling Stones" at a mall in Peoria with my Brothers. But , I did'nt really become a big fan until "Some Girls' came out , and I found "Hot Rocks" at a PAWN SHOP.  Still a big Beatles fan , mind you , but , I was getting off 'em in the 80's . I GOT OFF NEARLY ALL MAINSTREAM ROCK AFTER I GOT INTO PUNK , BUT , THE STONES AND THE WHO , I WENT BACK TO. THE BEATLES , NOT SO MUCH. I'VE GOT THE "I'M DOWN" 45. I'm happy.

• August 15, 2013 4:57 PM CDT
    • Rolling Stones all the time, until you get burnt ou,t then Beatles, then back to Stones

• August 16, 2013 6:45 AM CDT
    • I might have to go with an album where Side A is great and Side B is very disappointing... "Stoner Witch" by The Melvins

• August 16, 2013 1:28 AM CDT
    • The Gun Club's Miami comes to mind... The one track of course being... nnngghhh... Watermelon Man. The saddest cover choice in history. Otherwise the album's a solid block of pure gold.

• August 15, 2013 10:10 PM CDT
    • http://www.nme.com/news/the-kinks/48719

A movie about British band The Kinks is set to go into production.

Tentatively titled 'You Really Got Me', the film is set to explore the rocky relationship between bandmates and brothers Ray and Dave Davies.

Directed by the film and music video director Julien Temple, who has previously directed documentaries about Sex Pistols and GlastonburyRay Davies will be involved in the project.

"At the heart of it is the extraordinary love-hate relationship between these two brothers: love/hate, sibling rivalry is at the core," Julien Temple told Screen Daily. "I think it's a very rich social, cultural nexus around The Kinks. Their story is the untold story of all those big bands of the 1960s." 

The cast for the film or a potential release date is yet to be announced.
      Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-kinks/48719#BsXm3wOrLzT07T9O.99 

• August 15, 2013 2:52 PM CDT
    • I'm Danny, 28 and from East London.  I'm here because I love music, I found this place while searching the net for garage rock recommendations.  I'm a late bloomer, I wasn't really into music when I was a teen, much more interested in videogames and football.  And what I did listen to is too painful to recollect, lets just say that pop punk and nu metal was trending back then.  Dark days.

I started seeking out new music when I was about 20, I listened to a few of my father's Beatles CD's, and although I'm not a huge fan these days they did inspire me to search out other bands from that era and thats when I stumbled upon the Velvet Underground and the Kinks, I was instantly hooked, I never knew music could be this good! From then on since I've been on a musical discovery through the many years and eras always hungry to find new bands whose music I can relate to.  There is few things better than that feeling you get when you listen to an amazing album for the first time.  I mainly enjoy rock music which is blues or punk based.  I soon found myself not liking music which was too clean or over produced so started looking for more bands which had a rougher and rawer sound, I soon discovered the Sonics and the Nuggets compilation and have been a fan of garage rock and punk ever since.

I'm still much the newbie to this genre so I joined this site to discover new bands as well as to chat about music with like minded folk, just browsing the old topics has left me with a long list of bands to check out and I haven't touched the podcasts yet!

Thanks to those folks who have put this awesome site together.

• August 15, 2013 8:54 AM CDT
    • 29 years old, from Cape Breton Nova Scotia, Canada…lived in Moncton New Brunswick with my wife for 4 years now. Play guitar… in numerous local bands over 12 years now, all garage punk related…including the Teenage Hurricanes, Pushers, Dunce Club, and more recently the Beaten Hearts.

Been into 70’s Punk/Proto/Garage since about age 11. In ‘95 heard Rocket To Russia, instantly became a Ramones fanatic, spent early teens reading rock'n'roll history books, bands that influenced the Ramones, bands the Ramones influenced, their peers, etc…and saving allowances to order new albums.  By 13 I loved Stooges, Mc5, and Black Flag. Kept discovering more throughout teens, including the Real Kids, Dictators, Teenage Head, Saints, Undertones, Gruesomes, etc. Loved Tricky Woo a lot too before they turned into hippie jam rock

By late teens I was into later Garage Punk stuff and 60’s punk stuff. After the Ramones, the next game changer for me was probably Teengenerate. Discovered the Search and Destroy Search Engine in the early 2000’s. Found the hideout in 2009 after looking for the old forums and realizing they no longer existed.

• August 15, 2013 4:49 AM CDT
    • Tersicore said:
      Hello everybody, i´m from Berlin but live in Italy too. 
      I was almost born into music (in the 60es) since my parents were kind of rockabilly and heard to good 50es and 60es stuff. Later on, still a kid, i got to know hard-rock by an uncle and soul and funky-music by another one.

Guess i had luck, nobody around me listened to shitty-music, even my grandparents heard swing or classical music. So at about 13 i started to be attracted by punk-music by myself, then even worst shit like noise, industrial and so on.. :)  Down to the present day i never stop to ear to good stuff, just i don´t like mainstream and hate pop. One of the worst things could happen to me, is to catch a really bad earworm! ;)

i´m glad to be here and guess i´m in good hands

Many new members around but never heard of them..
      This thread seemed to be buried in oblivion, so what about a fresh start?.

• August 15, 2013 2:28 PM CDT
    • I'm seeing blog availability now with this new site.  Guess I'll post them there.

• August 15, 2013 2:23 PM CDT
    • I disagree, Alison.  "If it's not confined to a specific era, post it here. Also for musicians' gear & music tech, radio shows, music 'zines/books/movies, garage fests, etc. Anything goes!".  There are other DJ's posting their playlists as well on this forum.  At the other site, we had the radio and zine forum to do that.  If another forum starts up dedicated to this, then I'll post there.

• August 14, 2013 5:14 PM CDT
    • I've never been a big fan of the Ramones although I do enjoy listening to their debut LP and Rocket to Russia, probably the best albums i've heard from them.  Part of the problem for me is that the first Ramones album I listened to all those years ago was 'End of a century', which was just awful and just blemished them in my mind.

• August 14, 2013 2:32 PM CDT
    • I don't know why I was so disturbed when I read about the 9th annual Johnny Ramone Tribute at Hollywood Forever. Oh, Maybe it was this:

"...Ramones look a-like contest! Come dressed as your favorite founding member of The Ramones: Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee or Tommy—to win prizes! Visit the 8ft, bronze, Johnny Ramone Memorial statue, and the gravesite of Dee Dee Ramone...."

I don't know. But it doesn't  feel right somehow. Am I over reacting?

• August 14, 2013 1:54 PM CDT
    • What Dave said has gotta be the best definition of the Ramones I've ever read.

I have yet to hear one single band before them that started from scratch the way the Ramones did, yet encapsulated EVERYTHING that was cool over 20 plus years of Rock'n'rolll up to that point. From Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, to the Beatles and the Beach Boys, to Shangri Las and Ronettes, to Stooges and Black Sabbath, to Slade and the New York Dolls. You can hear it all in 3 minutes, sped up, turned up, and dumbed down to two basic barre chords and a 4/4 beat thanks to the Ramones

• August 14, 2013 1:33 PM CDT
    • Death are great! I watched a bit of the documentary and the story is amazing, as well as the music. Hard to believe most of those recordings (not counting the 7'')  sat in an attic for that long. Very cool and very ahead of their time.
      BUT!

(and I gotta warn you that I'm about to go  about on a rant here....)

Something kind of irks me about the hype surrounding this band...and it has nothing to do with the band itself.
       It all started when i watched the trailer of the doc....and in big letters, it said "BEFORE THE RAMONES" in some attempt to convince people that they were doing "Death" before the Ramones even existed. This, combined with endless amounts of "before punk, there was death" articles is really annoying.

It's as if people find out that the brothers were playing together in '71, and immediately want people to believe that these recordings are from '71 and the band got  fucked over...completely glossing over the fact that they were a Funk group in '71 to '73, the bandname and concept was developed in '74, after the Ramones; the songs on For the Whole World to See were written between Oct-Dec 74 (the Ramones were already playing at CBGB's by that point); and they were recorded on Feb 18 '75, over a week after the Ramones recorded their 14 song demo.
        Don't get me wrong...I love these recordings...and obviously there was really no FIRST punk band. But I don't think that's an excuse for people to bend the facts in some attempt to romanticize a bands history....especially when the true history of the band is already an incredible story.
      In closing, as a Ramones fan, that kind of shit annoys me. End rant. GREAT BAND! (one of many great proto punk bands!) :)

• August 14, 2013 12:14 PM CDT
    • Looking for yet another bass. Thoughts/opinions on reissue Vox Phantoms, Danelectro Longhorns, Burns Marquee, Eastwood Airline? I am looking for a good solid body model. And most likely a reissue/new-ish. I'm pretty harsh on my basses so spending $3,000 for a vintage would probably be big ol' waste. Any other suggestions welcome. 

thaaaanks.