Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 12, 2013 2:46 PM CDT
    • I have a hard time saying I hate any band at this point. I just feel a lot of indifference...but I feel that for 95% of most music anyways. To say "I dislike Coldplay" or "i dislike Nickelback" just feels like a waste of a breath.

In high school though, I REALLY hated At The Drive In, Choke, Propaghandi, and most of what my friends referred to as "technical new school punk".  I never got stuff like Pennywise, Nofx, and all that skate punk stuff.

Oh, and in terms of "bands I really want to like, but just don't"...TURBONEGRO. I feel like I should love them, but I just find them really boring.

Regarding Green Day...I completely understand someone disliking the fans/bands they spawned, and I understand being irritated by the band members themselves...especially in the mid 90's.

But if someone likes the Undertones, Buzzcocks, Pointed Sticks, Ramones, Etc.....I find it strange that they wouldn't be able to find something to enjoy from one of Green Days first four albums. 

• August 12, 2013 1:13 PM CDT
    • Oh man, there is too many bands I could add to that list:

Oasis

U2

Coldplay

Good Charlotte

Kings of Leon

30 Seconds to Mars

Greenday

Bush

Pearl Jam

Off the tip of my brain.  If we did a 50 most hated bands we'd still have a problem trimming things down to the magic number.

• August 12, 2013 12:42 PM CDT
    • Yeah, Pennywise sucks, too. In fact, they're probably worse cuz they just ripped off NOFX.

• August 12, 2013 12:36 PM CDT
    • I'm not crazy about Green Day, but they have a sentimental place in my heart because that's the first concert I took my son to that he actually wanted to see. i have a picture of us right after the show and the look on his face was priceless. (That was about 10 years ago. His tastes have improved.)

Just curious about NOFX. I barely remember them, but they seemed to be part of a whole slew of rather bland, generic mid-90s punk acts. Were they that much worse than Pennywise?

As for me, I hate Josie & The Pussycats. They just ripped off The Archies. You didn't hear Wislon Pickett covering any Josie songs.

• August 11, 2013 11:19 PM CDT
    • Here's a great conversation starter! Try it at your next party!

First, read this:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/10/15_most_hated_bands_of_last_30_years/

As a friend of mine said, unfortunately, the Eagles are too old/early to be on this list.

But I will gladly add U2 and NOFX. Oh, and Green Day. Thank you. Thank you very much.

• August 12, 2013 12:44 PM CDT
    • (hell, I accidently posted twice. Any way to delete posts?

• August 12, 2013 12:44 PM CDT
    • I'm a fan. 

There's a documentary about them  I got from Netflix a few years ago. here's the trailer:

Fred and Toody have been playing in a new band called Pierced Arrows that sounds just like Dead Moon (basically just changed drummers) They have a couple of albums out.

• August 12, 2013 12:26 PM CDT
    • Any fans here of 80's DIY garage rockers Dead Moon?  I never knew anything about them until their early LP's began to be re-released, which led me to come across their 'Defiance' LP at a record store a few years back, I just felt a good vibe about them so I picked it up.  I was blown away and have been a huge fan ever since.

• August 12, 2013 9:27 AM CDT
    • Fritz said:

Here's why not:

HOW THE BEATLES DESTROYED ROCK'N'ROLL

Great read.

Thanks, I'm going to have to read that!

The age old argument, are the Beatles much kop?  I haven't got much of a problem with them, they were my entrance into 60's music a number of years ago but I soon discovered the Kinks and they've been left behind.

I think for a lot of people (including myself) the problem with the Beatles is that they are over rated, for many they are the beginning and end of 60's music, throw in the over exposure and saturation of their music and I can find them tiring.  I've heard enough Beatles music to never need to listen to any more.

But for those who love garage rock the commercial sound of the Beatles just isn't aimed at us, so I don't see a problem wiht them.  I recently went through my parent's old record collection and pulled out the Beatles 'Rock n' Roll' music LP, their covers of Roll over Beethoven, Long, Tall Sally and Money just lacked that raw edge of rock n roll music, they were rock n roll classic smoothed over to appeal to their fans.  It showed me that the Beatles were just a rock n roll influenced pop band, they came in at the right time with the right sound and image to become gigantic.  But I think many of us have liked or still like a few of their tracks.

• August 12, 2013 2:52 AM CDT
    •  

I just wanted to make everyone aware of my weekly (Sunday night) radio show on KSFR in Santa Fe. On Terrell's Sound World I play a lot of garage/punk/psychedelic/surf/R&B etc. (including stuff I've received from bands I've met here at the Hideout)

It streams live 10 pm to midnight Sundays US Mountain Time at http://www.ksfr.org. No, I don't archive all my shows, though a few can be found on my Mixcloud page http://www.mixcloud.com/steveterrell/

My playlist from a couple of hours ago is below.

All my playlists are here: http://steveterrell.blogspot.com/search/label/soundworld

Sunday, Aug. 11 , 2013 
      KSFR, Santa Fe, N.M. 
      10 p.m. to midnight Sundays Mountain Time 
      Host: Steve Terrell
      Webcasting!
      101.1 FM
      email me during the show! terrell(at)ksfr.org

OPENING THEME: Let it Out (Let it All Hang Out) by The Hombres

What's New Pussycat by The Malarians
      Shoot the Freak by Lovestruck
      I'm a No Count by Ty Wagner
      A Girl Like You by The Mummies
      On Film by Ex- Cult
      Row Row Row by Willie Gable
      In My Time of Dying by Coconut Kings
      Fruit Fly by Hickoids
      Ain't No Easy Way by Nancy Sinatra & Jon Spencer
      Nancy Sinatra by Johnny Dowd

Betrayal Takes Two by Richard Hell & The Voidoids
      Pretty Little Head by Chump
      Just Head by The Grannies
      Un Amor Sin Igual by Los Nivram
      I'm Sad About It by Barrence Whitfield & The Savages
      Born to Die by King Khan & The Shrines
      Take it Away by Pietra Wexstun & Hecate's Angels
      Mainline by The Standells 

John the Conquerer (Truth is Always the Same) by Gogol Bordello
      Lavar dy Sara by Cankisou
      Saints & Sinners by Flogging Molly
      Tip My Canoe by Dengue Fever
      Voice From the Inner Soul by The Confusions
      Out of Our Heads by Dropkick Murpheys
      Casa del Sol Naixent by Els Dracs

Blues in the Night by Eydie Gorme
      Pawn Shop by The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black
      Black Hole Sun by Steve Lawrence & Eydie  Gorme
      Rocks Off by Tim Timebomb
      Disorder and Disarray by Rancid
      Jail Guitar Doors by The Clash
      River by JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound
      CLOSING THEME: Over the Rainbow by Jerry Lee Lewis

And if you like hillbilly music, check out my Friday night show, The Santa Fe Opry: 

• August 10, 2013 3:07 PM CDT
    • Playlist 08/10/13

Caroline and the Treats  Tonight 
      Fabulous Miss Wendy  Love Song 
      Amy Gore and Her Valentines  Send Me A Postcard 
      Josie Cotton  Maneaters (Get Off The Road) 
      Iron Prostate  Bring Me The Head of Jerry Garcia 
      Cramps  Faster Pussycat 
      Gripweeds  You're Not Walking Away 
      Bongos  The Bulrushes 
      Devastation Masters  Dog Threw Up 
      Tonio K  Funky Western Civilization 
      Superchunk  Cruel Summer 
      Persian Claws  Weeping Willow 
      Mal Thursday and the Cheetahs  That's Your Problem 
      Willie Nile  Magdalena 
      Skafish  Obsessions of You 
      Damned  Lovely Money 
      Nomads  Don't Kill The Messenger 
      Hunx and His Punx  You Think You're Tough 
      Human Eye  Gettin' Mean 
      Acid  Dead 
      Broncho  Pick A Fight 
      Missing Monuments  Grizzly Star 
      Lemuria  Scienceless 
      Stranglers  Lowlands 
      Supersnazz  Hardcore 
      Meanies  Never 
      Manic Hispanic  Manic Hispanic 
      Hoodoo Gurus  The Right Time 
      Brood  Leave Me Alone 
      Zeros  She's Just A Girl On The Block 
      Die Toten Hosen  Do Anything You Wanna Do 
      Will and the Bushman  Shake Some Action 
      Iggy & the Stooges  Burn 
      King Tuff  Kind of Guy 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• August 10, 2013 1:12 PM CDT
    • Hey Jeff, I am listening Man! Representing Rochester!

• August 10, 2013 9:31 AM CDT
    • I will be on the air and the web on Saturday August 10th from 1:00-3:00 PM EST.  You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu.

• August 9, 2013 10:01 PM CDT
    • some songs i hear a lot when i am on the move:

the headless horsemen - can't help but shake

the sonics - psycho

the hives - take back the toys

the briefs - tear it in two

fun things - savage

the cavemen five - be my cavegirl

the incredible staggers - out of my mind

the gaggers - cheap thrills kill

the exploding hearts - thorns in roses

the cute lepers - it's summertime, baby

the booze - there goes my girl

the scrid hunters - leave me alone

rancid - salvation

nervous eaters - you smell like fish

cyanide pills - cheap 'n' nasty

johnny throttle - ann

wild evel and the trashbones - i wanna be your caveman

thee vicars - they lied to you

the shocks - r'n'r stalinist

• August 9, 2013 7:06 AM CDT
    • The lyrics that the FBI thought were the lyrics are pretty funny.

• August 4, 2013 11:46 AM CDT
    • Unbelievable? Read for yourselves:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/05/the-fbi-investigated-the-song-louie-louie-for-two-years/

• August 7, 2013 9:09 PM CDT
    • San Diego band, only know them from the reissues. Did meet one of them at a Rezillos gig in San Diego this past year, but have yet to catch their reunion thing. Sorry not much to add I guess.

• August 4, 2013 11:56 AM CDT
    • Bob Reuter, a member of the Hideout and a long-time friend of mine from the St. Louis music scene died yesterday when he fell into an open elevator shaft as he was moving into a new apartment in a downtown loft. Here's a story on it in the Riverfront Times.

Bob's excellent personal memoir, Tales of at Talking Dog, is available from Saint Louis Projects.

In addition to being a great writer with the ability to recall amazing stories from his life, Bob was also an amazing local photographer who still used REAL FILM to document the gritty underbelly of Bob's South St. Louis home, rock'n'roll scene, and all the amazing and interesting characters in his life.

He had a radio show called Bob's Scratchy Records on KDHX and was a big fan of my old show on that same station, The Wayback Machine. Bob was still doing his show when he died, and you can listen to the last two episodes on KDHX's website here.

Bob was a long-time musician on the St. Louis scene, and one of his first bands was the great Dinosaurs, who put out a fantastic 7" single in the late '70s with "Rock and Roll Moron" and "It Might Be Rose." You can hear "Rock and Roll Moron" on this episode of my old podcast, Savage Kick. They also released a posthumous LP, also recorded in the late '70s, that was released about a year about by Big Muddy Records and that you can download for free here. More of his music can be downloaded here. His latest band, Alley Ghost, has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/alleyghost

Watch this: Bob in action with Alley Ghost!

http://youtu.be/Go1rd_IKlv0

This is a sad and tragic loss for the local music and arts scene. He will be missed by many, inside and outside St. Louis. Rest in peace, Bob.

• July 12, 2013 5:43 AM CDT
    •  iNTERESTING. I COULD'NT READ IT ALL. IT'S VERY LATE , HERE....MY EYES ARE SHOT.

IT'S ALWAYS INTERESTING , BUT , DEMORALIZING  ,TO READ ABOUT OTHER ARTISTS WHO ARE SUCCESSFUL DOING WHAT THEY DAMN WELL PLEASE. BUT ,HE'S VERY DEDICATED , SO MORE POWER TO HIM...... i SAW JACKIE AND THE CEDRICS ONCE, ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO. THEY WERE FRICKIN' NUTS ! GOOD SHOW. IT WAS AT  A CLUB THAT DID'NT EVEN HAVE A LICENSE TO CHARGE MONEY FOR LIVE MUSIC ( IN CHICAGO , CLUBS NEED LICENSES TO HAVE RUNNING WATER AND FIRE EXITS !  IT'S SO CORRUPT. ) , SO THEY HAD A MASON JAR WHEN YOU WALKED IN , AND YOU "MADE A DONATION".

MEXICAN WRESTLING IS REALLY BIG IN JAPAN . THEIR WRESTLING STYLE IS SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE JAPANESE , SO EACH COUNTRY SENDS WRESTLERS TO THE

OTHER COUNTRY , AND VICE - VERSA , ON AN EXCHANGE PROGRAM. THERE WAS A SUPERHERO ON TV IN THE 90'S , IN JAPAN , HE WORE A MEXICAN WRESTLING MASK , AND WRESTLED WHEN HE WAS'NT FIGHTING CRIME , JUST LIKE SANTO, BLUE DEMON , MIL MASCARAS , ETC. 

• July 12, 2013 5:28 AM CDT
    •  Chicago. I'm sure there were a lot of Skid Marx , like there were a lot of Johnny Vomits (OR , in Dallas , Mikey/Mitey Vomit.). You think of someone calling himself Skid Marx , you expect a GG ALLIN , BOBBY sOXX OR BLOODY MESS TYPE . nOT THIS GUY.....

• July 12, 2013 5:23 AM CDT
    • "Dark Part of My Mind" is a great track , but, do you not also like "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" ? I know the album was mostly recorded by studio hacks , NOT The Crazy Elephant. That album seems to be a bit of a rarity. I've only seen it once.

I like the other songs on "Inna Gadda Da Vida" , though , admittedly , the lyrics often sound dated."Termination" , I think, is a great song. It sounds liek a drug song , but , it's about the legend of The Lorelies (sic). "Are You Happy' has phenomenal drumming on it , with guitar and keyboards in overdrive. "My Mirage" is actually about the death of a friend. It makes more sense , knowing that , Doug Ingle said he wrote it while trying to paint a picture of his late friend on his wall......But , of course , none of this is for everyone. "mOST aNYTHING tHAT yOU wANT , gIRL" INCORPORATES THE SAME INFLUENCE OF tHE cATHOLIC cHURCH  AS "iNNA gADDA dA VIDA" , WITHSIMILAR HEAVY RIFFAGE. SURE "VIDA" IS THE BEST , BUT I STILL LIKE THE OTHE R, SHORTER , NUMBERS , TOO. When I saw them, in '96 , they did a few of them , and they sounded great.

Axel Björnsson said:

dark part of my mind is the only good song with crazy elephant

also inna gadda devita with iron butterfly

• July 12, 2013 5:12 AM CDT
    • I ALMOST FORGOT , X's VERSION OF THE BLASTERS' "LITTLE HONEY" (CO-WRITTEN BY JOHN DOE , AS I RECALL) IS PRETTY ROCKIN' , COMPARED TO THE BLASTERS'
       VERSION , WHICH RECALLS THE LOUVIN BROS.....NOT A DAMN THING WRONG WITH THAT....BUT I WAS JUST WARMING UP TO COUNTRY WHEN THAT CAME OUT , AND I LIKED IT ,BUT IT WAS JUST A TAD ON THE SLOW SIDE FOR ME......THE BEST PART WAS THE LYRIC CHANGE .  PHIL ALVIN : "LITTLE HONEY , WILL YOU PLEASE COME OVER HERE? LITTLE HONEY , WE'VE GOT TO GET SOMETHING CLEAR......"

JOHN DOE: LITTLE HONEY , WILL YOU PLEASE COME OVER HERE.....LITTLE HONEY ,WILL YOU PLEASE BRING ME A BEER?''........Does'nt save "Ain't Love Grand from being an embarrassment.
       John Battles said:

I thought the only really good song on "Rant'n'Rave With The Stray Cats" was "How Long Do You Wanna Live , Anyway?", with it's uncharacteristically raw rock riffage , which sounded more like Cochran than when they were really trying to sound like him. But , that was 30 years ago , I'D PROBABLY THINK IT WAS A PIECE OF SHIT , TOO , IF i HEARD IT , TODAY.

LITTLE RICHARD - "LIFETIME FRIEND" . THE BEAUTY ON DUTY TRIES TO SING ABOUT SUBTLE , AND OBVIOUS , XIAN THEMES TO A ROCK BACKDROP , WHICH ONLY OCCASIONALLY WORKS.  "Great Gosh a'Mighty" , the lone standout track , succeeds on both counts by rockin' like fuck , without pushing the religious envelope too hard. The version in the movie "Down and Out in Beverley Hills" is different. You should be able to buy the 45 from the movie , and the "Lifetime Friend" album and have change from your  Dollar.

iT'S NOT THE ONLY GOOD SONG , BUT IF ALL OF "SANDINISTA!" ROCKED LIKE THE CLASH'S COVER OF THE EQUALS' "POLICE ON MY BACK" , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A WHOLE OTHER ALBUM(S).

I LOVE X , I'VE LOVED ALMOST EVEYTHING THEY'VE DONE , OR , AT LEAST , LIKED IT....BUT , "AIN'T LOVE GRAND", THAT'S TOUGH....I LIKED "LOVE SHACK" ALL RIGHT. THEIR VERSION OF "ALL OR NOTHING" BY THE SMALL FACES WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE , IF , LIKE THE REST OF THE ALBUM , IT WERE'NT SO DAMNED OVERPRODUCED.

MIND YOU , THOSE SONGS SOUNDED FINE , LIVE.

• July 11, 2013 3:19 PM CDT
    • Out of interest has the disilusionment changed since then? Britain seemed tidier under Blair though it seems to have been all a debt party with the hangover now and a bunch of wars to show for it. 

naz nomad said:

And there's an Exploited song giving one of their typically insightful political views in a barely audiable vocal track. Maggie You Cunt. It's kinda funny because those guys are pretty right wing, Wattie was a squaddie and punk aside would have looked on paper like a typical Tory supporter in the 80s.

Wattie like the rest of us, was disillusioned with the whole thing, But he spoke his mind. His aggravation at the wars in the world & whatever else pished him off...he could really tell it like it was. Opening lyric to politicians was "left this country in a mess"... heavy stuff
      naz nomad said:

Try Let The Country Feed You By The Anti Nowhere League. Ha Ha Ha Theres a bit that says "The education isn't needed, Just sign your name & you've succeeded. Thatcher reduced the country to that.....ha ha ha C^~£!

naz nomad said:

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

by the way...UK based internet radio station Dandelion Radio are running a one hour 'Thatcher Special',  broadcasting daily until the end of the month, times vary but there is a schedule on their website:-

http://www.dandelionradio.com/index.htm

...a couple of the tunes people have posted here feature.....

Plus this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BZIWSI5UQ