Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 5, 2013 2:04 AM CDT
    • The Cramps , alone - There was , of course , Lux Interior and Poison Ivy Rorschach , Pam Balam , Nick Knox , Bryan Gregory (Rumored to not have been his real name.), Julien Griensnatch (Get it?) , Kid Congo Powers , Ike Knox, Jennifur Stokes , Candy Del Mar (Her real name?), Click Mort , Touch Hazard ,  Slim Chance , Nicky Beat , Harry Drumdini , "Basher" Bill Bateman , and a bunch of others......

• July 5, 2013 1:57 AM CDT
    • Larry , o0f the Mental Ill , is better known as Sado Marquis.

John Battles said:

Rich Coffee (There were two - Tommyknockers , Thee Fourgiven. And, the other , Gizmos.)

Johnny Thunder(s) - You know the main man , Low Numbers  , and the "Loop De Loop" hitmaker.

There was a Bob B. Sox in  the Spector stable , and another one on the early Chicago Rockabilly scene.

Paul Ramon. He was in a band that was so Punk , the Guitarist set a condom on fire in their own hotel room.

Keith Richard(s) . Has to add the "s" back to his name when he was standing trial in Canada. Also , he feared his remarkable reseblance to Cliff Richard would throw people off.

Woggles - Dan Electro , Manfred , Buzz Hagstrom , (The Late ) Montague.

Pere Ubu / Rocket from The Tombs - Crocus Behemoth (David Thomas).

Chicago area Punksters - Skitz o'pHRENIC , Klaus Trophobic , Special ED ,  LARRY (The Mentally Ill - underrated as fuck , especially compared to - ) Tutu .   Frankenstein (J. Henry Timmis IV.) , Chris Piss , Todd Killings , Iggy Yoakum , Bloody Mess , Sluggo , Bosco , Brad Elvis , Patti Elvis , Gary Elvis , Graham Elvis , Chuck Uchida (His real name . Sounds like "Chuckie Cheetah" ), Cat Chow , Sho Nuff , Velcro Lewis , Mara Mars , Lee Buddah , Mark Blade , Andy Rampage , Randy Revenge , Hans Tantrum , John Battles (But , that's my real name !).

• July 5, 2013 1:53 AM CDT
    • Robert Quine's set of live Velvets recordings from around that time ( With his future boss , Lou Reed's blessing.) is nothing to sneeze at , either. I don't know that I wave a favorite , except the one that was mentioned earlier , cut possibly in '66 (?). I used that to shut my neighbors up one time when they were carrying on til 4 am , and I was trying to sleep.

• July 4, 2013 5:26 AM CDT
    • "It's alive" by the Ramones is still one of the most excitig live recordings to me - pure energy! and I was totaly thrilled when I discovered that there is also a DVD released of that great show!

Another great live-record not mentioned here before is Velvet Underground "Live 1969" - (I like it much more than "Live at Max's") - it transports a great feeling as if you are actually sitting right there in the club... and I like those early versions of some songs still in progress at the time of the gig - great "Sweet Jane" version in example!

• July 2, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
    • any of Frank Zappa's live albums should do the trick. great stuff.

• July 1, 2013 6:27 PM CDT
    • No one's lynching you 'round HERE , unless they can get thru me......OK , GRANTED I'D ONLY BE ACTING AS YOUR ATTORNEY , BUT , I'D GET YOU A REAL SWEET PLEA BARGAIN......Seriously , "Live Bullet'' is some of the best live rockin' a dollar or less will surely buy you. There's maybe TWO turd tracks , the rest is prime rockin' send ups of "Get out of Denver", "Heavy Music , "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" , "Bo Diddley" ,  "Let It Rock" and later songs that also did'nt suck , like "Katmandu". This was the "Make it or Break it" era for Bob Seger , either blow headliners like KISS and Blue Oyster Cult off the stage , or go back to playing bars and bowling alleys....He succeeded in his mission , tho' the music sure suffered , as a result , tho' , not HERE. I saw Seger on the KISS tour in '76 , but , I was only 11. I just remember that he was really good. He was kicked off the tour , soon after (Guess why?). Don't judge by the FM ROCK SCHMALTZ THAT FOLLOWED ! There's a REASON everyone from Thin Lizzy to Dave Edmunds to Eddie and The Hotrods and Black Oak Arkansas were covering pre - fame Bob Seger.

I onlyrecently learned of that Viletones Live album's (Near-) existence. HA ! I once sent Steve Leckie a message on the band's My Space. Five years later , his people contacted me , apologizing that he'd never replied. I have'nt heard any Pretty Things live boots , except thru the tape trade. The 40TH Anniversary CD/DVD (With a guest spot by Arthur Brown!) kills , as will the upcoming "Live at the 100 Club" album.

Brian T. Kirchner said:

Ramones-It's Alive

Heartbreakers-Live at Max's

Glad to see some others like them too. I forgot all about Hanx!. I haven't heard that gem in years. I'll probably get lynched for the next one...

Bob Seger-Live Bullet

The Dragons-Live at the Casbah

The Viletones-Saturday Night/Sunday Morning

That Viletones one is amazing! Too bad almost nobody has heard it. Maybe one day it'll be rereleased.

Television-The Blow Up

Yeah, the sound quality is absolute shite but it's a great set. And my absolute favorite live album:

The Hitmen-Tora Tora D.T.K.

There's also bootlegs by The Mutants, The Heroes, The Pretty Things, The Buzzcocks, D.M.Z. and Jason and The Scorchers.

• July 1, 2013 1:07 AM CDT
    • Ramones-It's Alive

Heartbreakers-Live at Max's

Glad to see some others like them too. I forgot all about Hanx!. I haven't heard that gem in years. I'll probably get lynched for the next one...

Bob Seger-Live Bullet

The Dragons-Live at the Casbah

The Viletones-Saturday Night/Sunday Morning

That Viletones one is amazing! Too bad almost nobody has heard it. Maybe one day it'll be rereleased.

Television-The Blow Up

Yeah, the sound quality is absolute shite but it's a great set. And my absolute favorite live album:

The Hitmen-Tora Tora D.T.K.

There's also bootlegs by The Mutants, The Heroes, The Pretty Things, The Buzzcocks, D.M.Z. and Jason and The Scorchers.

• June 30, 2013 6:31 PM CDT
    • I have "See You Up There" . and a DVD THAT'S PRETTY GOOD , CAN'T REMEMBER IF THAT'S THE TITLE. YOU MAY BE RIGHT , THO' I HEARD REALLY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEIR LAST COUPLE OF SHOWS IN CHICAGO. I just did'nt want to see them at House of Blues , as their Bouncers don't know whether to cause violence , or ignore it outright , at "Punk" shows , there. I saw X there , a couple of times , and it was fine , but , other gigs were just absurd.

• June 30, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
    • Do they? I don't know; the last time I saw them was 2006 and I just thought they'd lost their edge - time to stop.

There's a cd/video set from 1999 called "hand held and rigidly digital"; also a couple of live recordings from when they first reformed in the 80s, "see you up there" and "no sleep 'til belfast".

• July 4, 2013 2:43 PM CDT
    • The bands you listed recorded with the right amount of reverb and ambiance so they didn't sound bland though it was really clean.  Cool sounding peddles helped as well.  I like lo-fi but I like it done well.  The early Mummies 45s were done much better than the later albums which were so distorted you couldn't understand anything.

John Carlucci said:

@ Alison, There are many well respected garage bands from the original 60'S period & the 80's revival period that did not record in lo fidelity. The Electric Prunes, The Music Machine, Arthur Lee & Love, The Standell's, The Chocolate Watchband, the Mircle Workers, The Cynics, Chesterfield Kings, & my own band, The Fuzztones. It's a matter of preference, & I prefer to hear music that is recorded well. @ Nic, speaking of Jimi Hendrix, I recorded my second 45 over 30 years ago at Electric Lady Studios. So there's absolutely no way I can get into Low-fi, when I started at such a high quality studio. My process does not differ much from yours. We also record live, however, the studio I record in has isolation booths so the various instruments & vocals cann all record onto different track so there is no bleed from other instruments. We use those as basic tracks that we build upon.

• July 4, 2013 2:16 PM CDT
    • @ Alison, There are many well respected garage bands from the original 60'S period & the 80's revival period that did not record in lo fidelity. The Electric Prunes, The Music Machine, Arthur Lee & Love, The Standell's, The Chocolate Watchband, the Mircle Workers, The Cynics, Chesterfield Kings, & my own band, The Fuzztones. It's a matter of preference, & I prefer to hear music that is recorded well. @ Nic, speaking of Jimi Hendrix, I recorded my second 45 over 30 years ago at Electric Lady Studios. So there's absolutely no way I can get into Low-fi, when I started at such a high quality studio. My process does not differ much from yours. We also record live, however, the studio I record in has isolation booths so the various instruments & vocals cann all record onto different track so there is no bleed from other instruments. We use those as basic tracks that we build upon.

• July 4, 2013 9:13 AM CDT
    • Cool, let us know how you been at the White Trash!

+ Just wait how will feel on Sunday, haha.

Doc Phibes said:

Yeah, got my tickets - can't hardly wait till saturday!

in anticipation I had to watch "Wild Zero" yesterday - today fighting with a massive hangover at work - eehh, but that's rock'n'roll, right?! - always willing to pay the prize!

Tersicore said:

Yeah! He´s coming to Europe!! 
      Looking forward to see him in Berlin! :)

• July 4, 2013 6:13 AM CDT
    • Yeah, got my tickets - can't hardly wait till saturday!

in anticipation I had to watch "Wild Zero" yesterday - today fighting with a massive hangover at work - eehh, but that's rock'n'roll, right?! - always willing to pay the prize!

Tersicore said:

Yeah! He´s coming to Europe!! 
      Looking forward to see him in Berlin! :)

• July 2, 2013 6:28 PM CDT
    • AND Seiji called WILD EVEL of Staggers and Trashbones fame Rod Steward, haha! Sorry Evel, just had to spread the gossip ;)

• July 2, 2013 6:26 PM CDT
    • Hey man, looking great and you took the price with the guitar play! They didn't do that this time, but we had a BATTIN' CENTER action goin on with Guitar Wolf softballs bein' whipped by Seiji's Guitar, haha! They also blew the horn for "Nobunaga Magma" and played "I love you ok" way after the lights went on. Damn, whutta show... Pretty GRRRRRREAT! 

HERE's some shots by me:

BEAST VIBRATOR!

GONER!

TOO FAST TO PICTURE!

Playing I LOVE YOU OK!

Last Night said:

ok GW played Gibus in Paris (famous club, home of johnny thunders back then...), two weeks ago ! Best show i saw , but maybe because i finally manage to get on stage when Seiji pass his guitar to the audience ! 10years i ve been trying to do so !   They went to Pigalle afterwards to drink wine and eat with Jon Von, but i didn't , had to work in the morning ! 

New record is brillant ! more mid tempo songs but still aggressive !

http://youtu.be/sGJM-c86v0k

• July 3, 2013 4:17 PM CDT
    • Yeah, just looked, amazon have em. kingdom come the original crazy world album remastered and even a cd version of the vinyl i have. its called strangelands..
      everyone should have a copy of the original good for letting off steam. A stress buster it is.
      naz nomad said:

He had a band in the 70's called Kingdom Come. They did Galactic zoo dossier, a self titled album & Journey. The dossier is the most freaky one. He went for a drum machine on one album & sent some stuff to John Peel in uk which John played on radio (And is included on the (Dare I Say it) CD..). There was also a vinyl release of material which he recorded after the crazy world stuff & Bam Caruso a St. Albans UK record company released it in the 80's or 90's. I have a copy salted away & all I can remember was it was weird. One track was called The life-jacket is under your seat or something like that. I should get it out & re-listen it's been ages since I heard it. If I do I'll let you all know more...He's a Yorkshireman & a star.

John Battles said:

His Kingdom Come (HIS WILL BE DONE.)output , and various solo albums was released on.....I forget the label. A friend just sent me his album with Vincent Crane on CD. I don't know if his album with Jimmy Carl Black was ever reissued. I should've bought it at the time. From there , you're getting into mostly or all CD. THE ABORTED SECOND CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN ALBUM "Strange Worlds" was released on vinyl on Reckless , I think , 1988. Yes , Reckless as in the record store in London , Chicago , and formerly San Francisco and Evanston , Ill. I don't know if it was reissued on CD. IT'S A GREAT ALBUM. MAYBE BETTER THAN THE FIRST.  There's a Live at The Marquee CD from 10 or 15 years ago , a career spanning effort. Plus , Arthur did a fantastic duet with Phil May on The Pretty Things' 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIVE DVD/CD.

ratoonie said:

Dont really Know what is rarer:....my friend had a copy of Fire on a 45.... Atlantic,......I've had 2 copys of the Clown-star album...... both were cut-outs & both were on Track...
      has any of his stuff been re-issued on CD??????

• July 3, 2013 3:45 PM CDT
    • He had a band in the 70's called Kingdom Come. They did Galactic zoo dossier, a self titled album & Journey. The dossier is the most freaky one. He went for a drum machine on one album & sent some stuff to John Peel in uk which John played on radio (And is included on the (Dare I Say it) CD..). There was also a vinyl release of material which he recorded after the crazy world stuff & Bam Caruso a St. Albans UK record company released it in the 80's or 90's. I have a copy salted away & all I can remember was it was weird. One track was called The life-jacket is under your seat or something like that. I should get it out & re-listen it's been ages since I heard it. If I do I'll let you all know more...He's a Yorkshireman & a star.

John Battles said:

His Kingdom Come (HIS WILL BE DONE.)output , and various solo albums was released on.....I forget the label. A friend just sent me his album with Vincent Crane on CD. I don't know if his album with Jimmy Carl Black was ever reissued. I should've bought it at the time. From there , you're getting into mostly or all CD. THE ABORTED SECOND CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN ALBUM "Strange Worlds" was released on vinyl on Reckless , I think , 1988. Yes , Reckless as in the record store in London , Chicago , and formerly San Francisco and Evanston , Ill. I don't know if it was reissued on CD. IT'S A GREAT ALBUM. MAYBE BETTER THAN THE FIRST.  There's a Live at The Marquee CD from 10 or 15 years ago , a career spanning effort. Plus , Arthur did a fantastic duet with Phil May on The Pretty Things' 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIVE DVD/CD.

ratoonie said:

Dont really Know what is rarer:....my friend had a copy of Fire on a 45.... Atlantic,......I've had 2 copys of the Clown-star album...... both were cut-outs & both were on Track...
      has any of his stuff been re-issued on CD??????

• July 3, 2013 9:22 AM CDT
    • The Trip!  Canada Day Show!  

Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130630-0030-t13725...

Setlist:  

SHADOWY MEN ON A SHADOWY PLANET - MALFUNCTION 
      THE EVAPORATORS - NARDWUAR VS. JEAN CHRETIEN 
      SHADOWY MEN ON A SHADOWY PLANET - RUN CHICKEN RUN 
      THE CHESSMEN - LOVE DIDN'T DIE 
      UGLY DUCKLINGS - JUST IN CASE YOU WONDER 
      THE MUNKS - LONG TIME WAITING 
      CHRIS HOUSTON & THE SEX MACHINE - BABY JESUS LOOKS LIKE ELVIS 
      SNFU - POOR PITIFUL ME 
      THE BLUE DEMONS- BAJA 
      THE RAMBLIN AMBASSADORS- RAT CREEK 
      LORNE GREENE- RINGO 
      THE SADIES- THE BORDERLINE 
      THE SADIES- THE NORTH STAR 
      THE SADIES- THE MOHAWK 
      THE UGLY DUCKLINGS- MY WORLD FOR TODAY 
      ROCKADROME- LIVE AND LOVE CHILD 
      SIMPLY SAUCER- MOLE SAUCER 
      YOUNG CANADIANS- AUTOMAN 
      DEJA VOODOO - CEMETARY 
      14TH WRAY - YOUR FACE IS ON MY MIND 
      THE DIODES - TENNIS (AGAIN) 
      THE GRUESOMES - I CAN TELL 
      THE KING BEEZ - I GOTTA MOVE 
      UIC - 2+2 = 
      PREHISTORIC CAVESTROKERS- HIGHSCHOOL 
      D.0.A.- THE PRISONER 
      MAOW- SUCKER 
      CORKY & THE JUICE PIGS- CIRCUS FREAKS 
      LES SEQUELLES- IL SUFFIRAIT D'UN 
      WILLIAM SHATNER- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

• July 2, 2013 3:29 PM CDT
    • Agreed. Really liked the first one but after listening on spotify a few times just downloaded this one song.

Alison said:

Well, to give an answer for an album from 2012, I really enjoyed the sweet ode to La La Land that is the single, "The Only Place" from Best Coast, only to be completely disappointed by the album that shares its title.

• July 1, 2013 10:10 PM CDT
    • 06:04PM The Evaporators “Higgle-Ly Piggle-Ly”

06:06PM Viletones “Screamin' Fist”

06:08PM Young Canadians “Where Are You”

06:10PM The Von Zippers “Truck Stop Nun”

06:16PM Hanson Brothers “Rink Rat”

06:17PM The Mants “Punk Rock Virgins”

06:19PM Maow “A Hole In The Floor”

06:21PM The Pinups “Pulse and a Rhythm”

06:24PM Teengenerate “Top Down”

06:25PM Pointed Sticks “Marching Song”

06:31PM The Real McKenzies “Scots Wha Hae”

06:34PM The Infernos “Alley Cat”

06:38PM D.O.A. “Woke Up Screaming”

06:40PM Supersnazz “I Don't Love You”

06:41PM Thee Goblins “Cheese Pleaser”

06:44PM No Means No “Going Nowhere”

06:47PM Subhumans “Death to the Sickoids”

06:50PM The Modernettes “Suicide Club”

06:53PM More Fun “Barbra”

06:55PM The Thanatologues “Milkshake”

06:57PM The Stinkies “At The Boot”

07:03PM Cosmic Psychos “Lost Cause”

07:07PM Slade “Mama Weer All Crazee Now”

07:09PM American Ruse “High Time”

07:13PM Lamps “Rototiller”

07:17PM Maximum RNR “StormFront”

07:19PM Mudhoney “Slipping Away”

07:24PM The Splash Four “We Don't”

07:26PM The Fuse! “L.O.W.V.”

07:31PM LOCAL SIZZLER:  Rust Belt Demons “A Hooker's Heart”

07:33PM Sonic's Rendezvous Band “City Slang (Live)”

07:42PM The Hellacopters “All American Man”

07:50PM DTX “Lady Luck”

07:55PM Volt “I Don't Feel So Good”

08:01PM Chuck Gallegos & The Fabulous Cyclones “Chili Beans”

08:03PM The Nomads “Pack Of Lies”

08:06PM Las Curvettes “Hit Me”

08:10PM The Fleshtones “Stop Fooling Around”

08:14PM Man Or Astroman? “Antimatter Man”

08:17PM The Flower Children “Mini Skirt Blues”

08:19PM The Deadly Snakes “Oh My Bride”

08:20PM Huevos Rancheros “Trouble a Brewin'”

08:24PM Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds “Su Su”

08:31PM The Hentchmen “Plumbline Rock”

08:36PM Five More “Avalanche”

08:37PM Link Wray “Deuces Wild”

08:40PM Thee Fine Lines “Too Much Of You”

08:41PM The Vertebrats “Left In The Dark”

08:47PM The Mortals “Turn Away”

08:50PM The Oblivians “Call The Police”

08:54PM The Ventures “The Fourth Dimension”

08:56PM The Booby Traps “Ms. Fireball”

• June 30, 2013 3:11 PM CDT
    • Yeah. It's funny , I'd just got on a Seeds jag , BEFORE I LEARNED THEY WERE REISSUING THE FIRST ALBUM , with a whole CD of extras. The pitiful few younger people who ask my opinion , I tell 'em , you're living in a good time , we all are , as far as Garage reissues are concerned. We had to deal with crappy Eva comps , where the tracking order did'nt always even make sense.....OF COURSE , GNP , AND OTHER LABELS , WERE STILL DOING THE Seeds' MAJOR RELEASES (MAYBE NOT "FUTURE" ?)  . But , when I first found an original copy of "The Seeds" , it not only sounded better , it played better than my GNP reish. Still , the mono sound is lourvely.

• June 30, 2013 11:08 AM CDT
    • Yes, John, it is quite amazing for all of this to be re-released at this late date in such a good way, even after so many re-hashed compilations over the years. The Seeds have their grip on me once again -- a truly timeless mixture they created all those years ago. :) I truly can't wait  for these next two CD sets, which I think will complete my Seeds collection once and for all! (Though I know more dribbles of re-issued sounds will continue, lol.)

Fuzz on, my friends!