Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 19, 2013 11:31 AM CDT
    • John Battles said:

"The Hozac fest (Formerly called the Horizontal Action Fest) is still a huge blowout every year. I wanted to see Deadmoon at one of those fests , but they sell out by lunchtime....I did see Roky , last year , when he played the Hozac Fest. I also saw The Mentally Ill at the pre - party , but that's all I cared about , and that's me . To their credit , the Hozac fest and related gigs have diversified considerably in recent years."

I'm glad to know it's still going on. I feel like all forms of music (specifically punk as we knew it, in this case) has diversified because no one stays true to form, as I would imagine the natural evolution of any music genre ends up or comes about.  Half the time, people don't even know where it all came from in the first place, so they mix up styles seeing the former state as stale, and want to revamp it in a new way (ex. powerviolence....less musical to my ears, but coming from the same place w/the same concept). I can appreciate that.

• August 16, 2013 8:06 PM CDT
    • Well.......................Your friends should be proud to have a Lutz Vipinderwoman for a friend.

Yeah , P.C. still does the Psych festivals....But , I only go to The Empty Bottle , maybe , two or three times a year. It's too big a pain in the ass to get there and back on Public Trans , and they have  must - see shows with mind - numbing infrequency.....nothing like it was in The 90's. Mind you ,I like the place and the people there very much , but , unlike most people who're all geeked out about it , I was going there 20 years ago.

The Hozac fest (Formerly called the Horizontal Action Fest) is still a huge blowout every year. I wanted to see Deadmoon at one of those fests , but they sell out by lunchtime....I did see Roky , last year , when he played the Hozac Fest. I also saw The Mentally Ill at the pre - party , but that's all I cared about , and that's me . To their credit , the Hozac fest and related gigs have diversified considerably in recent years.

• August 16, 2013 4:43 PM CDT
    • I wish I had friends named Plastic Crimewave, that seems more real to me than something like Janet or Roger, or whatever.  So, do they still put that Psych Festival on at (Im glad to know there is still an) Empty Bottle.  Haven't been there since the Horizontal Action Fest. 

• August 18, 2013 10:14 PM CDT
    • Age-old argument.

• August 18, 2013 6:56 PM CDT
    • As a rule, I like my record stores to be primarily made up of vinyl, both new and used, with the used section trimmed of endless slabs of 1970s "Dad rock." Wuxtry in Athens, GA meets all my needs.  Also, if you have ever been a fan of college rock, you probably know that Buck met Stipe while working here. When I was in college, it employed Dangermouse and Elephant 6 members.  Thus, I was always appropriately intimidated while asking the staff for help.

• August 17, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
    • They have the wrong picture of Rough Trade East, they have Rough Trade West there which is a tiny shop, East is more modern in design and has a coffee shop in there and is a decent gig venue.

• August 16, 2013 9:14 PM CDT
    • hmmm... methinks they did all their research via the internet, and perhaps haven't actually visited any of these stores... At least, judging by their comments on Mississippi Records in Portland. It's an amazing store, but very small and rather specialized in their offerings. Their old blues reissues are highly recommended. "The largest record store in Portland is Jackpot." Uh, sorry but no, not by a long shot. If you're passing through the area, other must-see record stores would be Music Millenium (the oldest and largest indie shop), Jackpot (a hipster's wet dream), Green Noise (a garage punk mecca and home to Dirtnap Records) and 2nd Avenue Records (a little pricey, but STACKED to the rafters, and full of rare stuff you usually have to find online).

Glad to see Reckless Records (Chicago) on the list, they're incredible. For Chi-town shops, Dusty Groove probably should've gotten a mention too. And jazz hounds MUST visit Jazz Record Mart at least once in their lifetime - the largest collection of jazz records in the world, with stuff you could spend decades searching for.

• August 16, 2013 7:40 PM CDT
    • Let's start with this list:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mariasherm/best-record-stores-around-the-world

I've been to a few of the ones on that list, and would have to add a few to it that got omitted, namely good ol' Goner Records in Memphis, the Record Exchange here in St. Louis, and, even though I've never been there, I can imagine that the Crypt store, Cool and Crazy in Hamburg, Germany, would be right up there, too.

What are your nominations?

• August 18, 2013 5:28 PM CDT
    • The No Tomorrow Boys are not really rockabilly if that's what yer after, but they have plenty of "50s style."

• August 18, 2013 4:45 PM CDT
    • Nice one. Just discovered Norton records today but need to dig deeper. Thanks!

• August 18, 2013 8:38 AM CDT
    • Daddy Long Legs on Norton Records.

• August 18, 2013 5:23 AM CDT
    • I've just heard this fantastic new band called The Rip Em Ups yeah? See they're really good. http://youtu.be/fkbxD_UJH6o

Through them I found the magnificent A-Bones. I also really like the Jim Jones Revue.

But I'm stuck! All I wanna hear is good old fashioned new rock and roll. Not too over the top. Not too garagey. More 50s style I suppose. Please help. I will return favours using positive feel good comments. Mikebails.

• August 18, 2013 2:30 PM CDT
    • Hi fuzz fans,

We're getting ready to release new sounds on Garage Nation Records -- so we are looking for lists with contact info for current garage-psych related RADIO SHOWS, POSCASTS and ZINES/WEB SITES to advertise '66-styled garage-psych.

Of course we'll place an ad here on the Hideout -- we're looking for other good places to send '66-styled garage music, band announcements and place ads, etc. 

Thanks for any contact info help!

Timothy Gassen

http://garagenation.bandcamp.com/

• August 18, 2013 11:33 AM CDT
    • I've been listening a lot to the Dead Brothers recently, I just love their sound.

• August 18, 2013 5:25 AM CDT
    • Hi. I'm not that new. I was on here before but messed up my sign in details so I've signed up again. I'm mike. I'm in a rock and roll band called Hailbails in Leeds, UK. I love it. I love all rockin music especially rockabilly and well fifties music really but also am a big fan of the Sonics too. Also dig new music that fits the bill.

Nice to meet y'all!

• August 17, 2013 9:54 AM CDT
    • Elmar Gimpl said:
      Audio Gasoline said:

Turbonegro "Ass Cobra"

A legendary album, with one of their worst songs: Screwed & Tatooed

Gawd I hate that song.

well, this one hasnt been on the original release version, i think only on the us version. but i remember this song being on a compilation LP of the german fanzine called OX.

Ah, you're right, only on the US version. I should've known that. Maybe that's why it doesn't really fit with the rest of the album.

• August 17, 2013 3:11 AM CDT
    • Audio Gasoline said:

Turbonegro "Ass Cobra"

Gawd I hate that song.

well, this one hasnt been on the original release version, i think only on the us version. but i remember this song being on a compilation LP of the german fanzine called OX.

• August 16, 2013 9:19 PM CDT
    • Turbonegro "Ass Cobra"

Gawd I hate that song.

• August 16, 2013 8:36 PM CDT
    • I really enjoyed the Death doc as well although I'm not nearly as smitten with their music as I am with Los Saicos'. BTW, the best music doc out there to me is still Beware of Mr. Baker, one of the funniest, most outlandish docs I've ever seen. I gained new respect for Ginger Baker's talent, and even if his personal life has been a mess, I couldn't help admire the guy.

• August 16, 2013 8:16 PM CDT
    • If it's a good film , with footage we've never seen , I'll always check out one of those rockumentaries on artists that , even after they've reformed , toured ,  been in major TV commercials , and had Henry Rollins claim to have discovered them , like the monks , they remain cult heroes . The Death film was VERY good , I thought , despite the obvious lack of period footage. It brought real emotion. I saw the Source Family /Ya Ho Wa 13 film , too. I thought it was very good , too. Let's face it , it's not a story either of us could have made up. Unfortunately , Sky Saxon is barely a footnote in the movie (or the book)  , but , yes , The Seeds are finally getting their due , with a full length documentary film to complement the amazing CD reissues. Still curious to see and hear how "Raw and Alive" turns out.

• August 16, 2013 4:35 PM CDT
    • These documentaries and revisionist views of who invented punk (Death, Los Saicos) are just so much PR and enthusiasm from fans. Which is fine, but as John says above it doesn't matter - they were great bands, especially Los Saicos. Forget the hype - enjoy the music. And get ready for the Seeds doc. Now, there's a great, great band with no relation to punk and no one cares.

• August 16, 2013 7:06 PM CDT
    • My nefarious scheme would collapse once they are in London and I'm the only one at their gig.

But it will be too late for them to oull out so I'll be the only one there jumping like a mad man and shouting requests for Dead Moon songs.  Sounds like a dream come true!

• August 16, 2013 4:24 PM CDT
    • Yeah, and then what you do is get increasingly more confrontational about it and don't forget to send that personal email message saying something like. . . Hey, Why haven't you responded to my request?  I feel like you're ignoring me. 

Actually you can be more and more covert about it, like make different pages of actual "people" from London, so EVERYONE (apparently) wants them to come. . . soon enough they'll do a European tour and what will their 1st stop will be. hint, hint, o right, London.

Perfect scheme.

• August 16, 2013 3:53 PM CDT
    • From the first Girls In The Garage comp: Kim And Grim "You Don't Love Me"

• August 16, 2013 2:49 PM CDT
    • I made two 8tracks mixes with my favorite moody garage tracks. I tried to embed it here but couldn't figure out how ha. So if you want click on 8tracks links.

Love Does It's Harm

Clouds Don't Shine