Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 28, 2013 10:18 AM CDT
    • I guess I'm just failing to understand the brevity of your usage of the word "HATE" here, which is a pretty strong word in and of itself, and you even used it three times!

So are you expecting "brick & mortar" record stores to sell digital downloads, too? Because some of them already do this via their websites. I love vinyl but I also love the ease and convenience of digital copies of albums. I got the new Oblivians LP on vinyl but still have yet to set up my turntable to play it, so I used the download code it came with to load the songs on my iPod where I can enjoy it in my car. I still love to go "record shopping" and I think that's the point of Record Store Day, to remind people that records (including CDs and even cassettes) are still out there and available for purchase at unique and individualized stores that are fun to explore and shop at. And the fact that you can do this while also hearing some local bands bash out their noise is an added bonus. I really don't have any complaints, but then again I suppose everyone's gotta have *something* to complain about...

• June 28, 2013 9:26 AM CDT
    • It's a great concept and a noble effort to save record stores. But it's a horrible execution - a form of elitism aimed at those who have turntables, limited to a very few who are lucky enough to be ones of the first in the know.

Now, I will admit to being a bit of a hypocrite here; if I had the money the Seeds' records would have been on my Oracle or Dual in a second and I wouldn't have had a thought about those on pensions or anyone who can't afford the luxury of a turntable. I have been a Seeds fanatic since 1966 who no longer has a turntable. Excluding people like me IS pure elitism. And it sucks.

The least that could be done is to offer these tracks later to digital owners, like most of us. (I love analog by the way and still have dozens of my favourite records, many dating back to the late 50's, I just can't afford a decent table.)

• June 28, 2013 9:10 AM CDT

• Shit....yeah I just worded that very badly

Back From the Grave is the definition of "60's punk" to me. I  just meant that "60's punk" and "garage rock" to me are the same thing...just one term was used later than the other (first it was "punk rock", then when punk hit as we know it today, it was relabeled "60's punk" to differeniate it from the new sound, then it became labeled "garage rock"). 

What i meant at the end regarding Back From the Grave is that I find it funny how Tim Warren referrred to it as "garage punk" on the front cover....because, to me, Garage Punk is a term used to describe later bands like Lazy Cowgirls, Devil Dogs and Teengenerate...like, bands influenced by both the 60's stuff, AND the late 70's stuff. 

I'm not saying I'm correct...it's just what I always thought the terms meant. I'm obviously splitting hairs here, and wording it horribly :P

John Battles said:

I'm following you , here , except , why would'nt you consider the bands on "Back From The Grave" to be 60's Punk. Or , AM i MISREADING YOU , AND YOU'RE REALLY SAYING THERE'S TWO HEAVILY USED TERMS "60'S PUNK" AND "GARAGE ROCK" , AND THAT MAKES IT CONFUSING TO SOME? 

• June 28, 2013 7:10 AM CDT
    • Probably Liar Liar by the Castaways heard on my beloved transistor radio in 1965, at the impressionable age of 13.  It has that eerie guitar opening and one of the best screams in all garagedom. 

• June 28, 2013 4:22 AM CDT
    • I'm with Johnny Thunders on this one: "it's all all just rock'n'roll at the end of the day."

• June 28, 2013 1:01 AM CDT
    • I'm following you , here , except , why would'nt you consider the bands on "Back From The Grave" to be 60's Punk. Or , AM i MISREADING YOU , AND YOU'RE REALLY SAYING THERE'S TWO HEAVILY USED TERMS "60'S PUNK" AND "GARAGE ROCK" , AND THAT MAKES IT CONFUSING TO SOME? I've used both those terms , plus "Garage Punk" , to describe the same thing. But , boil it down to a single shot , it's still Rock'n'Roll. We just have MORE GENRE PHRASES , TODAY , THAT CAN BE GOOD , OR , NOT SO GOOD.....I agree , bands like The Stooges , Velvets , MC5 , DOLLS , and Blue Cheer , tho' no one , these days , agrees , can be classified as "Proto Punk" , or you could say a lot of them WERE PUNK , for their time.  JUST AS YOU COULD SAY Screamin' Jay Hawkins , Link Wray , Lord Sutch , The Johnny Burnette Trio , etc. were Punk , in their day

Tyler said:

When I think of "proto punk" though (as a genre of music), I don't think of those 60's punk groups (aka garage rock groups) at all. I think "60's punk" and "proto punk" are two separate things.
       "Proto punk" are groups that formed BEFORE the Ramones that had a heavy influence on what would become THE 70's punk sound. ex- Stooges, Mc5, Velvet Underground,  etc. To my ears, those bands do NOT fit in with the sound of those Nuggets and Pebbles groups though.
       "60s' punk" (or Punk Rock, in the early 70's Dave Marsh sense of the term) is, to me, strictly the young groups that were influenced by the rawer sounds of the british invasion. Ex- bands on Nuggets, BackfromtheGrave, Teenage Shutdown comps, etc.  I figured critics started referring to "60's punk" as "garage rock" to make things less confusing. So basically, 60's punk and garage rock are the same thing.

Another example...I would consider the Stooges "proto punk", but i'd consider the Iguanas "60's punk". In terms of the Mc5, maybe their first single (with the THEM cover on it) would be 60's punk, but by Kick Out the Jams, that's total Proto Punk.

...I know I'm just splitting hairs here...I know "punk" has been used to describe everything from Cooper to the Bay City Rollers eventually...and some groups could even fit into both categories (like the Monks)...
      ...but it's all for the sake of discussion. Good rock'n'roll is good rock'n'roll, of course :P 
      ...and according to those BFTG comps, those groups are called "garage punk"...which makes even less sense to me, and makes things even more confusing for everyone, including myself!

• June 28, 2013 12:45 AM CDT
    • That's true , Marsh's description of a later ? and The Mysterians show (Which I think was in '71 , but , don't quote me.) is largely credited as the first use of the term "Punk Rock" as a musical phrase. Lillian Coxe's "The Rock Encyclopedia" had a short entry dedicated to "Punk Rock", but , it referred to bands like Alice Cooper , Black Sabbath , and even Bloodrock , implying they were musically inept , compared to the competition , like , uhhhh, Led Zeppelin? Hardly . Coxe's book lists the memebers of Led Zeppelin as being the latter day Yardbirds lineup !  So , I'm guessing the book was written in '69 , as it also referred to Randy Holden as Blue Cheer's current Guitarist , which he was , for a few months , that year, or maybe '70 if the Author was extremely , NOT JUST VERY , OUT OF TOUCH.

Glenn Peart said:

And now from Wikipedia: "The invention of the term "punk rock" is generally credited to critic Dave Marsh who used it in 1970 to describe the group Question Mark & the Mysterians, who scored a major hit with their song "96 Tears".[34] Over the next few years, the term was used occasionally to describe a number of American bands, mostly active in the mid-to-late '60s, playing music that today would be classified as garage rock: a ragged, highly energetic, often amateurish form of rock and roll." So back in 1970 Iggy and the Stooges would have been considered 'garage' since the term 'proto punk' hadn't been invented yet. It seems to me that what is considered 'garage' at one point in time, is labeled 'proto punk' later. When the Ramones came out they were called a garage band, but that changed to 'punk' soon after. Some people still consider the Ramones a garage band, but as Billy Joel once said "It's still rock and roll to him".

• June 27, 2013 8:44 PM CDT
    • I never knew about garage except for the radio, I was into Sabbath and Motorhead and Hendrix, Doors, Zep, etc.

I got into garage when I started performing cause it was the (only) style to suit my non talent. I played the Sonics, Mummies (Duel) and the MC5 (Looking at You) and the Stones (Out of Time) and started listening to WFMU (like Bill Kelly and Joe Belock) then found other stuff like Grunnenrocks. By then my mind was twisted and I started Nuggets, Back from the Grave, Girls in the Garage and foreign garage.

In all my travels, the finest single garage song to me is "Uptight Tonight" by Memphis Flash and the Casuals and another lost smash is Don't Ever Let Me Go by the Kinks. 

• June 27, 2013 7:05 PM CDT
    •  When I think of "proto punk" though (as a genre of music), I don't think of those 60's punk groups (aka garage rock groups) at all. I think "60's punk" and "proto punk" are two separate things.
       "Proto punk" are groups that formed BEFORE the Ramones that had a heavy influence on what would become THE 70's punk sound. ex- Stooges, Mc5, Velvet Underground,  etc. To my ears, those bands do NOT fit in with the sound of those Nuggets and Pebbles groups though.
       "60s' punk" (or Punk Rock, in the early 70's Dave Marsh sense of the term) is, to me, strictly the young groups that were influenced by the rawer sounds of the british invasion. Ex- bands on Nuggets, BackfromtheGrave, Teenage Shutdown comps, etc.  I figured critics started referring to "60's punk" as "garage rock" to make things less confusing. So basically, 60's punk and garage rock are the same thing.

Another example...I would consider the Stooges "proto punk", but i'd consider the Iguanas "60's punk". In terms of the Mc5, maybe their first single (with the THEM cover on it) would be 60's punk, but by Kick Out the Jams, that's total Proto Punk.

...I know I'm just splitting hairs here...I know "punk" has been used to describe everything from Cooper to the Bay City Rollers eventually...and some groups could even fit into both categories (like the Monks)...
      ...but it's all for the sake of discussion. Good rock'n'roll is good rock'n'roll, of course :P 
      ...and according to those BFTG comps, those groups are called "garage punk"...which makes even less sense to me, and makes things even more confusing for everyone, including myself!

• June 27, 2013 5:01 PM CDT
    • And now from Wikipedia: "The invention of the term "punk rock" is generally credited to critic Dave Marsh who used it in 1970 to describe the group Question Mark & the Mysterians, who scored a major hit with their song "96 Tears".[34] Over the next few years, the term was used occasionally to describe a number of American bands, mostly active in the mid-to-late '60s, playing music that today would be classified as garage rock: a ragged, highly energetic, often amateurish form of rock and roll." So back in 1970 Iggy and the Stooges would have been considered 'garage' since the term 'proto punk' hadn't been invented yet. It seems to me that what is considered 'garage' at one point in time, is labeled 'proto punk' later. When the Ramones came out they were called a garage band, but that changed to 'punk' soon after. Some people still consider the Ramones a garage band, but as Billy Joel once said "It's still rock and roll to him".

• June 27, 2013 4:12 PM CDT
    • Wow. You've got it sorted out. I mean that. I always thought it was all part of a common thread , but , some people won't let THIS in , because some expert told 'em it was'nt Punk. Or even Garage Punk.

• June 27, 2013 12:18 PM CDT
    • I’m 29, so it wasn’t until 1995 when I first heard Ramones- Rocket To Russia that everything really  snowballed. I was obsessed with that album and everything Ramones.  But living in Cape Breton Island, the only way I could learn about other bands was through reading punk history punks, and reading about  the Ramones peers and bands that influenced them…so I sort of moved backwards.  By 1996, I learned about/heard the Stooges, mc5, etc...and bought albums like Raw Power and Kick out the jams over the next year or two. Also In 1997 I got a rock history book and kept seeing the word “punk” by 60’s names like the Standells, Chocolate Watchband,  etc. Then through Junior High/High School in the late 90’s I got into the Dictators, Teenage Head, Real Kids, Undertones and stuff like that.

To me this was all Punk Rock. When I think "garage rock" I think of the 60’s sound, not so much Proto  Punk or Late 70’s punk...so I'm not sure what to say was THE album. I don't count Stooges or Mc5.  I think the thing that really got me going on "garage rock" was when the Gruesomes reunited and CBC Radio Sonic played the show live. Radio Sonic would also play Sonics, Les Sexareenos, Von Zippers, and of course the Smugglers. From there, I officially started saying “I like garage Punk” and would track down anything related to the word, from Rip Off records to Crypt, and so on....

But it was all really just a logical extension of what I was already listening to. Time goes on, and you learn about more and more.  I mean if I like Ramones, Stooges, New York Dolls, Real kids and black Flag, I'm most likely gonna like the bands that influenced THEM, and newer bands that sound like a mix of all of them.

• June 28, 2013 6:49 AM CDT
    • ok GW played Gibus in Paris (famous club, home of johnny thunders back then...), two weeks ago ! Best show i saw , but maybe because i finally manage to get on stage when Seiji pass his guitar to the audience ! 10years i ve been trying to do so !   They went to Pigalle afterwards to drink wine and eat with Jon Von, but i didn't , had to work in the morning ! 

New record is brillant ! more mid tempo songs but still aggressive !

http://youtu.be/sGJM-c86v0k

• June 27, 2013 9:49 PM CDT
    • They rock!!

• June 27, 2013 3:47 AM CDT
    • Alright, anyone want to post some details/pictures/stories from the shows of this Guitar Wolf tour you've been to?

• June 27, 2013 11:57 PM CDT
    • yikes !!!!

Johnny Lurg said:

John Battles said:

"NIGGLERS?!" THAT'S A WORD THAT , TO MY KNOWLEDGE , ONLY ENGLISH PEOPLE USE. I THOUGHT CHRISTGAU WAS AMERICAN......IT'D BE PRETENTIOUS (AND PERCIEVED AS RACIST , MOST LIKELY.) TO USE THAT WORD IN A SENTENCE THIS SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC , WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION.

I saw Faron Young on Ralph Emery's show on TNN , once. Mind you , Faron was older , and a certified NUT. EMERY QUOTED A PIECE FROM THE BRITISH PRESS , AND ASKED IF ANYONE KNEW WHAT THIS WORD "NIGGLED" MEANT. FARON YOUNG SAID "I THINK THAT'S CHARLIE PRIDE'S COUSIN !" . EVEN THE NASHVILLE AUDIENCE, AND THE OTHER GUESTS , GROANED AUDIBLY. MYSELF , I DON'T HATE FOGERTY , I JUST FIND HIM TO BE OVERRATED.

John Battles said:

DID I SAY I DID'NT KNOW THAT SONG? I DID'NT KNOW IT BY NAME , BUT I DO KNOW IT AS FOGERTY'S BASEBALL SONG. YOU COULD'NT GET AWAY FROM HIM DURING HIS FIRST COMEBACK BID , AND , YES , THERE WAS MUCH WORSE ON THE RADIO, then , LIKE JOE WALSH'S "DOWN AT THE SUNSET GRILL", FOR ONE.....Boy , you did your research . I did say that , but it was probably more like....no ,you're right , it was 35 years , Rangers Vs. Red Sox , 1978. Went to see The Monkees AFTER a Rangers game in '86. Would have watched some of the game , anyway , but , we got there as the Peter Noone - less Herman's Hermits were doing their last song. They did let us in for free. Now , the shitty seats for the last Monkees show , here , were over $100. I PASSED ON A FREE TICKET TO A FOGERTY /WILLIE NELSON BILL , ONCE. I'd be hard - pressed to name my least - favorite Willie song.

Johnny Lurg said:

According to Robert Christgau, only "nigglers" hate John Fogerty:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/cdrev/fogerty-ble.php

And here's that Fogerty song Swamis was referring to, since John Battles claims not to know it, meaning he hasn't been to a single American baseball game in the past 35+ years:

Great Dismal Swamis said:

1) John Fogerty- without the revival-
      " put me in coach"- no thanks, dick..

• June 27, 2013 8:26 PM CDT
    • John Battles said:

"NIGGLERS?!" THAT'S A WORD THAT , TO MY KNOWLEDGE , ONLY ENGLISH PEOPLE USE. I THOUGHT CHRISTGAU WAS AMERICAN......IT'D BE PRETENTIOUS (AND PERCIEVED AS RACIST , MOST LIKELY.) TO USE THAT WORD IN A SENTENCE THIS SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC , WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION.

I saw Faron Young on Ralph Emery's show on TNN , once. Mind you , Faron was older , and a certified NUT. EMERY QUOTED A PIECE FROM THE BRITISH PRESS , AND ASKED IF ANYONE KNEW WHAT THIS WORD "NIGGLED" MEANT. FARON YOUNG SAID "I THINK THAT'S CHARLIE PRIDE'S COUSIN !" . EVEN THE NASHVILLE AUDIENCE, AND THE OTHER GUESTS , GROANED AUDIBLY. MYSELF , I DON'T HATE FOGERTY , I JUST FIND HIM TO BE OVERRATED.

John Battles said:

DID I SAY I DID'NT KNOW THAT SONG? I DID'NT KNOW IT BY NAME , BUT I DO KNOW IT AS FOGERTY'S BASEBALL SONG. YOU COULD'NT GET AWAY FROM HIM DURING HIS FIRST COMEBACK BID , AND , YES , THERE WAS MUCH WORSE ON THE RADIO, then , LIKE JOE WALSH'S "DOWN AT THE SUNSET GRILL", FOR ONE.....Boy , you did your research . I did say that , but it was probably more like....no ,you're right , it was 35 years , Rangers Vs. Red Sox , 1978. Went to see The Monkees AFTER a Rangers game in '86. Would have watched some of the game , anyway , but , we got there as the Peter Noone - less Herman's Hermits were doing their last song. They did let us in for free. Now , the shitty seats for the last Monkees show , here , were over $100. I PASSED ON A FREE TICKET TO A FOGERTY /WILLIE NELSON BILL , ONCE. I'd be hard - pressed to name my least - favorite Willie song.

Johnny Lurg said:

And here's that Fogerty song Swamis was referring to, since John Battles claims not to know it, meaning he hasn't been to a single American baseball game in the past 35+ years:

• June 27, 2013 12:28 AM CDT
    • "NIGGLERS?!" THAT'S A WORD THAT , TO MY KNOWLEDGE , ONLY ENGLISH PEOPLE USE. I THOUGHT CHRISTGAU WAS AMERICAN......IT'D BE PRETENTIOUS (AND PERCIEVED AS RACIST , MOST LIKELY.) TO USE THAT WORD IN A SENTENCE THIS SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC , WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION.

John Battles said:

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 27, 2013 12:06 AM CDT
    • SORRY TO HEAR THAT. THE YOUTH OF TODAY HAVE ENOUGH OBSTACLES TO OVERCOME.THEY SHOULD'NT HAVE TO GO THROUGH SOME OF THE THINGS WE WENT THROUGH.  BUT , THEY ARE .

"THEY GIVE DISCO A NEW NAME EVERY FIVE YEARS" Craig Moore , GONN.

Johnny Lurg said:

Most younger people know it (and in many cases, like it) from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

John Battles said:

Starland Vocal Band- "Afternoon Delight". OK , is there anyone who does'nt hate this song? (You younger people who may have never heard it , resist what little temptation that may come over you !).

• June 27, 2013 12:00 AM CDT
    • DID I SAY I DID'NT KNOW THAT SONG? I DID'NT KNOW IT BY NAME , BUT I DO KNOW IT AS FOGERTY'S BASEBALL SONG. YOU COULD'NT GET AWAY FROM HIM DURING HIS FIRST COMEBACK BID , AND , YES , THERE WAS MUCH WORSE ON THE RADIO, then , LIKE JOE WALSH'S "DOWN AT THE SUNSET GRILL", FOR ONE.....Boy , you did your research . I did say that , but it was probably more like....no ,you're right , it was 35 years , Rangers Vs. Red Sox , 1978. Went to see The Monkees AFTER a Rangers game in '86. Would have watched some of the game , anyway , but , we got there as the Peter Noone - less Herman's Hermits were doing their last song. They did let us in for free. Now , the shitty seats for the last Monkees show , here , were over $100. I PASSED ON A FREE TICKET TO A FOGERTY /WILLIE NELSON BILL , ONCE. I'd be hard - pressed to name my least - favorite Willie song.

Johnny Lurg said:

• June 26, 2013 8:53 PM CDT
    • Most younger people know it (and in many cases, like it) from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

John Battles said:

Starland Vocal Band- "Afternoon Delight". OK , is there anyone who does'nt hate this song? (You younger people who may have never heard it , resist what little temptation that may come over you !).

• June 26, 2013 8:52 PM CDT
    • According to Robert Christgau, only "nigglers" hate John Fogerty:

• June 27, 2013 4:06 PM CDT
    • YES , "STUPIDITY" IS A GOOD ONE. Don't know if I know the Stiff Little Fingers album you mentioned. I HAVE A DOUBLE LP called "See You Up There" and one of those Live and Loud SERIES albums. Val Doonican ? I should know this name , yes? But , I don't. Irish Folk Composer?

The Fnords said:

Stupidity by Dr. Feelgood. Great LP.

There's a good SLF live album recorded at the Barras on March 17th. There's a Val Doonican song on it....good Johnny Was on Hanx!, incidentally.

• June 27, 2013 1:44 PM CDT
    • Stupidity by Dr. Feelgood. Great LP.

There's a good SLF live album recorded at the Barras on March 17th. There's a Val Doonican song on it....good Johnny Was on Hanx!, incidentally.

• June 27, 2013 3:20 PM CDT
    • I'm really into Thee Cormans these days and recently discovered a band called Sandy Pussy that did the soundtrack for the movie Zombies VS Strippers. Or was it Strippers VS Zombies? I'd love to find more surf bands like these that really utilize distortion, fuzz, evil, and a shit ton of reverb.