Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 8, 2013 1:57 PM CDT
    • Yeah i prefer their version too. way better. I haven't noticed the similarities between those two songs until you pointed it out...but yeah. Very similar.

Johnny Lurg said:

I love both Supercharger albums. I also strongly prefer their version of "Sooprize Package for Mr. Mineo" to the Mummies'. And is it just me, or does their song "San Bruno" have the same melody as "Surrender" by Cheap Trick?

• July 6, 2013 1:14 PM CDT
    • Glasgow's finest and very very underrated at the time. Gettin' more recognition now, now that 'Kraut'rock is de rigeur over here. annoying coz it seems to be a bit faddish. Coz its used in adverts. I hate the idea that the music we love and grew up with is selling washing powder and jeans these days. This album recorded and released on a very threadbare shoestring. Ganger Rawk

• July 5, 2013 12:54 PM CDT
    • I love both Supercharger albums. I also strongly prefer their version of "Sooprize Package for Mr. Mineo" to the Mummies'. And is it just me, or does their song "San Bruno" have the same melody as "Surrender" by Cheap Trick?

Tyler said:

Far and away my favourite is Supercharger. Prefer the 2nd album to the 1st actually.

In terms of new bands.... that Gino and the Goons album on Total Punk is my favourite release of the year.

• July 5, 2013 9:54 AM CDT
    • Far and away my favourite is Supercharger. Prefer the 2nd album to the 1st actually.

In terms of new bands.... that Gino and the Goons album on Total Punk is my favourite release of the year.

• July 7, 2013 10:53 PM CDT
    • Anyone remember MAD's Punk Parody , where Anita Bryant is interviewing the Punk Band of THE YEAR , Johnny Turd and The Commodes? They're introduced to her as "Johnny Turd , Harvey Belch , Hugo Sweatstain and Jerry Greenblatt.....He's the weird one.".

There's a Johnny and Sid lookalike , the others could be anybody....Joey Ramone has an unspoken cameo .

• July 7, 2013 10:48 PM CDT

• I meant to say , is'nt Exene Cervenka her REAL name , but , HEAL is a better word to use for her.......

John Battles said:

HA HA HA HA, Chip Z'nuff. One of those guys was drowning his sorrows , telling my friend and I how bummed he was that E'nuff Z'nuff was opening for Poison and Lynyrd Skynyrd the next night , and sure to bomb. I think it WAS chip......

Is'nt Exene Cervenka her heal name? Maybe Exene is a psuedonym , but, I never read that it was. I know she briefly called her self "Cervenkova ", but , her late sister , Mary , called herself 'Cervenka" , too.... 

• July 6, 2013 1:26 PM CDT
    • Spiv Shotstain. Spiv Shotstain and the Green Frog. Dundee's finest garagepunkers

• July 5, 2013 8:15 PM CDT
    • HA HA HA HA, Chip Z'nuff. One of those guys was drowning his sorrows , telling my friend and I how bummed he was that E'nuff Z'nuff was opening for Poison and Lynyrd Skynyrd the next night , and sure to bomb. I think it WAS chip......

Is'nt Exene Cervenka her heal name? Maybe Exene is a psuedonym , but, I never read that it was. I know she briefly called her self "Cervenkova ", but , her late sister , Mary , called herself 'Cervenka" , too.... 

• July 5, 2013 1:06 PM CDT
    • Jello Biafra, 6025, Mojo Nixon, Skid Roper, Mark Arm, Geza X, John Doe, Exene Cervenka, Vaginal Davis, Alicja Trout, Jay Reatard, Ben Weasel, Dean Ween, Gene Ween, Black Francis...

Worst metal pseudonym: Chip Z'Nuff.

• July 7, 2013 9:10 PM CDT
    • How about Rock 'n'Roll Hits from the early to mid 70's that did'nt suck ....

1. Dwight Twilley Band - I'm On Fire .

2. Thin Lizzy -The Boys Are Back in Town.

3. Crabby Appleton - Go Back.

4. Nilsson - Jump Into The Fire.

5. John Kongos - He's Gonna Step on You Again.

6. Alice Cooper - School's Out.

7. Jo Jo Gunne - Run, Run , Run.

8. Black Oak Arkansas - Jim Dandy.

9.Brownsville Station - Smokin' In The Boy's Room.

10.Golden Earring - Radar Love.

11.Lee Michaels - Do You Know What I Mean.

12. Black Sabbath - Paranoid.

13. Mountain - Mississippi Queen.

14. BTO - Hey , You.

15. Cheech and Chong - Earache My Eye.

16. Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night (Bonus points for the earlier version , only a hit in Germany.).

17. Elvis Presley - Promised Land.

18. Jerry Lee Lewis - Drinkin' Wine Spo - De - O- Dee.

19. Sweet - Ballroom Blitz.

20. Bobby "Boris " Picket - Monster Mash (Reissue , a hit for the scond time.).

Mind you , I'm just going by songs that were hits in the states , hence the dearth of great Glam Rock songs. "Get it On (Bang a Gong)" was , shamefully , T Rex's only U.S. hit , and Slade charted in teh states with "Cum on Feel Th'Noize" and "Goodbuy T'Jane" , neither song cracked the Top 50. Sweet , of course , had three other chart hits , here , but , like T Rex , failed to conquer America.

• July 6, 2013 2:00 AM CDT
    • OK , what about "Midnight at The Oasis" by Maria Muldair? GOD , I hate that song , even as a kid , I hated it.....I know Muldair was keen on songs with sexual content , real or implied , but this just AIN'T sexy. Especially the way her voice keeps breaking. It's one smooth , but phoned - in ,  Guitar solo by acclaimed axeman , Amos Garrett , short of total garbage. And even that's too Jazz for my taste.   A wretched cover version was a hit , I guess , a few years back. Lightning strikes twice , so does do - do.

• July 7, 2013 8:42 PM CDT
    • Ben E , Reportedly , they worked out "Waiting" because Lou Reed was in the audience. Yeah , all those later TV appearances are great. They really wanted to stay in the game , be there for the obvious giant step Rock was going to take ....or already had. But , it fell apart.

A couple of my friends saw The Yardbirds with Blue Cheer in '68 ( I met the guy who recorded BC at the Shrine Auditorium in LA . Did'nt get a chance to ask if he was also responsible for the Yardbirds recording , I believe , the same night.) , and The Yardbirds were second on the bill , because Blue Cheer had a hit record at the time. If you look up the documentary on Ghoulardi on You Tube , there's a picture of the Marquee  when the smae tour hit Cleveland , with Traffic , and , I think , The Youngbloods(?).

• July 6, 2013 9:24 PM CDT
    • Cheers for the info John, I'll have to track down some of those later live Yardbirds recordings - it would be cool to hear them play "Waiting for My Man!" I've seen a few clips on YouTube of that last line-up playing on French TV shows, pretty great stuff. I love their version of "Dazed and Confused"..

• July 6, 2013 12:29 AM CDT
    • There's another album that came out in the 'Owts , taken from a recently discovered soundboard tape by the same lineup , Mk. 2 Yardbirds. It's only 30 minutes long , but it maintains the same high standard , though I don't think the band knew they were being recorded !

"Last Rave Up in LA'' is really interesting , tho' , as another writer noted , it sounds liek it was recorded from a parking lot , two blocks away. It came out as a bootleg , 3 LP set. It' s ONE OF the band's last shows , ever. Jimmy Page really stretching the boundaries of what late Psych /early Hard Rock could be ,before forming Led Zeppelin ,and , well ,in my hardly - shared opinion , becoming deathly dull....Keith Relf was really improvising , lyrically , taking familiar songs into unfamiliar realms. On "New York City Blues'' ,  ALL THE LYRICS ARE DIFFERENT.   The song selection is amazing , too , everything from "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago'' and "Over Under Sideways Down" and 'I Ain't Done Wrong' to covers of "Hey , Gyp" , "I'm Confused " (" Dazed and Confused"), "Beck's Bolero"(!!) and "Waiting For The Man" (!!!). It's believed that only one other  band had covered The Velvets before this, Sure , it's sloppy at times , but , the energy is still there.

Then , there's "Live Yardbirds with Jimmy Page", a much better - sounding document. Liner notes by Lenny Kaye , band blazing away , but , it was pulled by Page shortly after it was released.

• July 5, 2013 11:51 PM CDT
    • Yes those live Robert Quine Velvet Underground recordings are amazing! I love the Live '69 albums too. Another great crazy live album that I'd forgotten about until recently is the first Yardbirds album Five Live Yardbirds - a brilliant rave-up with the group thrashing away and R&B standards like a punk band on speed..

• July 7, 2013 3:32 PM CDT
    • Hahaha, very nice!

Cool pictures, thanks! Looks like a lotta fun there! Hope the Rawk'N'Roll body aches of today flee fast.

Yeah, believe it or not, I'm still beaming from this show, they have tremendous energy! They are a fuckin unit, hittin you like a lightning bolt of good times! Played all the classics, I flipped when WILD ZERO came on. The intro videos (aka Guitar Wolf cinema), were nice too. I liked the caged Beast scene at the end, right before they entered the stage. Good metaphor.

Sorrily I didn't get to hang out for long afterwards, the venue is a bit out of town and subways don't go after 12.30........... but it was great to see them for sure. I had a 50/50 chance of seeing them in Munich the next day, but it couldn't be done, eh, next time.

Tersicore said:

ha ha, just AWESOME!!

I didn´t enjoy much the first half gig really, since the space was slander, low-ceilinged and crowded. Personally i actually need to be downstage to savor a gig. Half a concert was done as Guitar Wolf started to complain a bit about the audience (at least i believe but not sure, i was already Jolly!;), later on started to play tennis with his guitar chord (the balls sounded so heavy, at first i thought he´s shooting billiard balls). Anyhow slowly some people left and so i finally decided to go in front to enjoy the wolves....other freaks did the same. It went better and better... 
      The end part of the concert was simply fantastic! Seiji was a water fountain himself but he had a better mood and was funny. After we the crow called for more, (a couple of times) they enchore with different great songs one of which, I love you ok, was fucking awesome!!  I got convinced (but i was pretty drunk by the time) it wasn´t Guitar Wolf singing, but The King himself!! I freaked out!! :D
      here some pics of mine..
      TORU

U G

SEIJI

:)

i love those pics!

after the great gig it got wicked! been invited to stay backstage with them and we all had so much fun!! we smoked, drunk and kid around for hours!! Actually till they left for a sleep and than to Hamburg. Despite of communication difficulties all the people there gel on well and we had such a nice time!! They are fantastic persons and funny too!
      I do have now an awesome guitar wolf´s guitar pick! Looks beautifull! :)
      I really had a great night!! I love them! I love Japanese!! This band rules!

ok, i post a pic of me with them ;D

...please Idon, don´t even mention sundays! OUCH!!  ;D

• July 7, 2013 12:33 PM CDT
    • ha ha, just AWESOME!!

I didn´t enjoy much the first half gig really, since the space was slander, low-ceilinged and crowded. Personally i actually need to be downstage to savor a gig. Half a concert was done as Guitar Wolf started to complain a bit about the audience (at least i believe but not sure, i was already Jolly!;), later on started to play tennis with his guitar chord (the balls sounded so heavy, at first i thought he´s shooting billiard balls). Anyhow slowly some people left and so i finally decided to go in front to enjoy the wolves....other freaks did the same. It went better and better... 
      The end part of the concert was simply fantastic! Seiji was a water fountain himself but he had a better mood and was funny. After we the crow called for more, (a couple of times) they enchore with different great songs one of which, I love you ok, was fucking awesome!!  I got convinced (but i was pretty drunk by the time) it wasn´t Guitar Wolf singing, but The King himself!! I freaked out!! :D
      here some pics of mine..
      TORU
      U G
      SEIJI
      :)
      i love those pics!

after the great gig it got wicked! been invited to stay backstage with them and we all had so much fun!! we smoked, drunk and kid around for hours!! Actually till they left for a sleep and than to Hamburg. Despite of communication difficulties all the people there gel on well and we had such a nice time!! They are fantastic persons and funny too!
      I do have now an awesome guitar wolf´s guitar pick! Looks beautifull! :)
      I really had a great night!! I love them! I love Japanese!! This band rules!

ok, i post a pic of me with them ;D

...please Idon, don´t even mention sundays! OUCH!!  ;D

IDON MINE said:

Cool, let us know how you been at the White Trash!

+ Just wait how will feel on Sunday, haha.

Doc Phibes said:

Yeah, got my tickets - can't hardly wait till saturday!

in anticipation I had to watch "Wild Zero" yesterday - today fighting with a massive hangover at work - eehh, but that's rock'n'roll, right?! - always willing to pay the prize!

Tersicore said:

Yeah! He´s coming to Europe!! 
      Looking forward to see him in Berlin! :)

• July 6, 2013 2:03 PM CDT
    • I only got to see The Plimsouls during reunions -- one circa '96, the other about 10 years later, both at SXSW. Both times they rocked hard and were among the best acts I saw those years.

I've seen Peter Case several times and he's always good. especially enjoyed him up in Los Alamos a couple of years ago shortly after Wig was released. It was him and a drummer 9a local guy I know) and they were fantastic.

• July 6, 2013 12:41 AM CDT
    • Wow. This live Plimsouls sounds good. I saw them once ,in 1981 (On a bill with Robin Lane and The Chartbusters , The Telefones , and SPlit ENZ - WHO DID JUST ONE SONG , DUE TO THE PISSING RAIN IN THE OUTDOOR SETTING) , and told myself, if they ever came back , I'd see them again. wELL......25 YEARS LATER, I did'nt feel like paying $25 for the privledge , but , hey , that's just me. Never heard of The 99ers , but , if Eddie ANGEL has anything to do with it , it's gotta be good .

• July 6, 2013 12:01 PM CDT
    • new fuzzcast vol. 16

http://drfuzz.podomatic.com/entry/2013-07-06T07_49_57-07_00

Fuzzcast 16

No Age – Brain Burner

The Blues Magoos – Gotta Get Away

Streak – Bang Bang Bullet

Ronnie Dawson – Action Packed

The Spits – Bring

The Men – The Brass

break

The Plod – Neo City

Andre Williams – Pass the Biscuit Please

Kip Tyler – She's my Witch

The Avengers – Teenage Rebel

Jimmy McCracklin – I Want to Make Love to You

Oblivians – Pinball King

break

Warm Soda – Diamond Ring

Alex Chilton – Can't Seam to Make You Mine

Mabel Scott – Wailin Daddy

The Ringers – Mercy Bounce

Sneaky Pinks – I Can't Wait

break

The Skatelites – Lucky Seven

Hank Wood and the Hammerheads – Walking down the Street

Lee Chandler – Tree Top

The Kinks – Sittin on my Sofa

The Hussy - Blame

break

Deerhunter – Monomania   

• July 5, 2013 8:33 PM CDT
    • I thought the only really good song on "Rant'n'Rave With The Stray Cats" was "How Long Do You Wanna Live , Anyway?", with it's uncharacteristically raw rock riffage , which sounded more like Cochran than when they were really trying to sound like him. But , that was 30 years ago , I'D PROBABLY THINK IT WAS A PIECE OF SHIT , TOO , IF i HEARD IT , TODAY.

LITTLE RICHARD - "LIFETIME FRIEND" . THE BEAUTY ON DUTY TRIES TO SING ABOUT SUBTLE , AND OBVIOUS , XIAN THEMES TO A ROCK BACKDROP , WHICH ONLY OCCASIONALLY WORKS.  "Great Gosh a'Mighty" , the lone standout track , succeeds on both counts by rockin' like fuck , without pushing the religious envelope too hard. The version in the movie "Down and Out in Beverley Hills" is different. You should be able to buy the 45 from the movie , and the "Lifetime Friend" album and have change from your  Dollar.

iT'S NOT THE ONLY GOOD SONG , BUT IF ALL OF "SANDINISTA!" ROCKED LIKE THE CLASH'S COVER OF THE EQUALS' "POLICE ON MY BACK" , IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A WHOLE OTHER ALBUM(S).

I LOVE X , I'VE LOVED ALMOST EVEYTHING THEY'VE DONE , OR , AT LEAST , LIKED IT....BUT , "AIN'T LOVE GRAND", THAT'S TOUGH....I LIKED "LOVE SHACK" ALL RIGHT. THEIR VERSION OF "ALL OR NOTHING" BY THE SMALL FACES WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE , IF , LIKE THE REST OF THE ALBUM , IT WERE'NT SO DAMNED OVERPRODUCED.

MIND YOU , THOSE SONGS SOUNDED FINE , LIVE.

• July 5, 2013 6:37 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist July 4/2013....All Canadian Show as Canada Day was July 1 with some pokes at the US as it was July 4th.

1. The Smugglers...Canadian Ambassadors...from the In The Hall Of Fame CD on PopLlama Records. Singer Grant Lawrence is a Huge supporter of the Canadian music scene and is now on the CBC as a host.

2. Evil Farm Children...Hangover...from the Evilling II CD. This is a cover of 70's Canadian band, Max Webster's Hangover. A cult favourite, but only in Canada.

The Evil Farm Children after playing live on Shakin' Cats Radio at CHRW 5/23/2009.

3. DOA...Liar For Hire...from the War On 45 LP. Canada's longest surviving punk band, with The Forgotten Rebels not far behind.

DOA at Fryfogles, London Ontario 1983

4. Flying Squad...Ronnie's Raygun...from the Come And Play cassette. Local combo poking at Ronald Reagan.

The Flying Squad, Civitan Club, London Ontario 19899

5. The Subhumans....Canada's Favourite Sport...from the No Wishes, No Prayers LP from 1983 on SST Records.

The Subhumans, Sept 11/2010 Call The Office, London Ontario

6. No Means No....Oh Canaduh!...single on Allied Records and originally done by The Subhumans.

7. The Hippies...Can Teens...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with What Wave 24.

8. Popular Mechanix....Ice Box City...late 70's demo from this Winnipeg combo. It was definitely not ice box city at the radio station during this show.

9. The Poles...CN Tower...1978 7" from this Toronto combo.

10. Pointed Sticks...American Song....from the Perfect Youth LP.

11. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...The Allouette She Was Canada's First Satellite, Way Before The Americans Even...from a 7" on Estrus Records and one of the longest song titles around.

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, Call The Office, mid 80's

12. The Sadies...Horseshoe...from the Rat Fink Soundtrack CD. This song is dedicated to the club of the same name in Toronto.The Sadies are coming to Home County Festival in London in a couple of weeks.

The Sadies, Aeolian Hall, London Ontario 7/17/09

13. Ralph...Maybe Ontario...from the Sophisticated Boom Boom CD There's a reference to clothes shopping on Richmond St in London Ontario in this one.

Ralph and Liz Worth at the London Record Show, 2/14/2010. Treat Me Like Dirt display.

14. Stompin' Tom Connors...Stompin' Grounds...from a 7" on Boot Records.

15. Frank Ridsdale and Slugfest...Water Road...from The Port CD. This features Jack Whiteside on vocals and refers to a Lake Erie crossing between Port Stanley and Cleveland.

Frank Ridsdale, Key West??  Late 80's.

16. Gordon Lightfoot...Black Day In July...from a single and is talking about the late 60's Detriot riots. This one was banned on most radio stations in the US at the time. The US had the MC5 with Motor City Is Burning, and we had a folkie yammering about the riots.

17. Jerry Jerry and The Sons Of Rhythm Orchestra....Living On Top...from the Road Gore LP. This band could outdrink just about any other band and do it nightly!

Jerry Jerry, Guelph? Mid 80's 

18. Evil Hoodoos...Back In The USA....local combo who were on a couple of WW tapes back in the day.

19. Evaporators...Winnipeg '64...from a 1993 7" on Nardwuar Records.

20. Twitch...Pickup Is Illegal on 401...from a 7" on Supreme Echo Records that came out recently. Early 70's unreleased material.

21. The Bureaucrats...She's An American...from the CD compilation, Only In Canada, Eh 77-81. Ottawa combo.

22. Dik Van Dykes...Birthday Song...from the Nobody Likes LP on OG Records and goes out to Rena.

Dik Van Dykes, mid 80's

23. Dik Van Dykes...Americans In My Backyard...as above.

24. UIC...Crop Dusting....from the Our Garage LP. Cropdusting could be a national sport in some locations across Canada. What is it? Buncha people hop in a car, armed with a bag of pot and a case of beer and off you go through the country backroads. I remember once, driving through a corn field in a very large orange truck!! Had to get rid of the evidence stuck to the truck the next morning before work started!! Youth plus alcohol usually results in stupidity (not the band from Sweden).

A sweaty post show UIC. Mid 80's

25. Deja Voodoo...Vegtables...from the Worst Of LP on OG Records. 

Deja Voodoo at Key West, late 80's

Thanx for all the requests, phone calls (both Piper brothers at the same time!!), emails, facebook messages and HEYS!! Back again next week with more noise to annoy!

All photos from the What Wave archives...please don't reproduce without asking.

And here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• July 5, 2013 4:36 PM CDT
    • Crap -just missed the chance to donate and score a DVD! Oh well, I can order it when it gets released I am sure. Thanks for sharing everyone, I am a huge fan of the Detroit scene, so ma ny amazing bands.

ChazDaddy

• July 5, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
    • yeah i like faust, gong (Radio Gnome, Camembert Electrique & Angels egg), zappas stuff (it's very intricate), aqua by edgard forese (i think?), the paisleys trip on side b of cosmic mind at play. But, can't remember em all. just started on silver apples, they look good.