Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 11, 2013 9:31 AM CDT
    • "Born to lose, out to lunch." Haha!

• July 11, 2013 8:12 AM CDT
    • From: http://www.nuthousepunks.com/blog/2013/07/09/windian-records-head-travis-jackson-on-the-art-of-reissues/

Windian Records head Travis Jackson on the art of reissues

Windian Records, based out of Washington D.C., is a fascinating label. Not only do they put out a seemingly bottomless trove of obscure (yet assuredly worth hearing) reissues, but they’ve been on the cutting edge of garage rock ‘n’ roll lately, releasing singles and LPs from everyone from Heavy Times to the Shirks.

Label head Travis Jackson was fantastic enough to take time out from following a crawling infant and working to answer some questions via e-mail about the label’s releases.

The label puts out both new releases — upcoming stuff from Ar-Kaics, the Hussy, and others — and reissues of some pretty crucial Penetrators records. How do you decide what new bands you’ll release? Is it just a case of what appeals to you, or do some bands seek you out at this point?

It’s a little bit of both. The majority of releases I either knew from touring or really dug the band and asked if we could do a single. I think the only band I’ve released through the demo process was the White Faces LP. I plan releases early for the whole year, and sometimes more is added.

With the reissues, I’ve always just reached out to one of the members work from their. Getting to work with The Penetrators releasing their whole singles collection, Testors, Bizarros, and Crushed Butler has been amazing. Definitely learned a lot. I’m more than ever focused on the reissue side of the label, it’s a lot more work and research, but it pays off when you put your imprint on some classic sounds.

When and how did the Penetrators’ connection come about?

I contacted Spike a couple years ago about reissuing the “Gotta Have Her” 45 and the hopes of putting together a Fred Records retrospective LP. The single did really well and we decided to just reissue everything from the Fred catalog on 7″ just as they came out initially (printed paper sleeves, promo sticker) 30 years ago. We are still working on getting to the Basement Anthology Volume 2, doing a lot of digging.

windian box set

Some labels choose to just say, “Hey, trust us,” when it comes to singles series, but yours listed all the acts out in advance. Why do the latter, instead of the former?

When I decided to start a subscription series, I wanted the restrictions that come along with most other series to be limited. One of the most important is not signing off on a series you have no idea what you’re expecting. Every year you get to choose if you want the next set. So far we’ve had nearly an 85% turn around for #2, and I’m beyond flattered. I’m glad people were happy with the inaugural set, and I’m working really hard to make sure this years set tops last years.

One thing that worked really well was the reserve. I never liked paying a large sum and waiting for it to arrive. Also, pre-selling 200 box sets and getting 200 emails every week asking “where’s my records” will drive a healthy man to the brink of blowing their head off. So we decided to take reserves for $1 and when the set was ready to ship, sent an invoice. Their were some that couldn’t pay right away, but we held their set for 2 months in some cases until they could. Once reserved, it’s yours.

What’s involved in setting up a subscription series?

Packaging and sound. It has to be presented very well for someone to pull the trigger on 5 singles if they are only interested in say one of the bands. The response we received from our subscribers from the art of the factory sleeves, to the booklet, the button, the stamped mailing box it was shipped in was huge. I’ve been cut, folding, and glueing our sleeves since we started, and I was very involved with the art book as I designed and manufactured by hand. Sound I think is vital with this series as I hired an old friend Eric Brady to do the mastering. He’s done everything since for Windian as I was just blown away with his work on the series.

Going back to the reissues: your next reissue is a compilation of DC “stompers” called Capitol Rock ‘n’ Roll Volume 1: Garage Unknowns. Where did you pull the twenty tracks from?

This project has taken a lot of time and research. I’ve been working with Mark Opasanek who wrote a book about DC Rock and Roll a few years ago. A lot of them are from a killer comp that was released in ’84 called “Signed DC”. Ever since I heard that LP, I wanted to reissue it. The others I found through research or by talking to friends who had some original 45′s. This first volume is mostly 60′s stuff while volume 2 will focus on the 70′s punk scene (not Dischord) and volume 3 going back further to the 50′s focusing on early Rock and Roll and Soul.

Did you have an idea of what you wanted to included going into Capitol Rock ‘n’ Roll?

Link Wray. In my opinion, he is the most important musician to make music here in Washington DC. He performed “Rumble” for the first time live at a dance in Fredericksburg, Va., the town I grew up in. It’s amazing I even have the opportunity to release anything he ever recorded. I named my kid after him!

What should people know about Windian if they’re not already familiar with the label?

Born to lose, out to lunch.

• July 11, 2013 9:16 AM CDT
    • dark part of my mind is the only good song with crazy elephant

also inna gadda devita with iron butterfly

• July 11, 2013 7:33 AM CDT
    • John, I don't know what the problem is, but I can't respond to your private message, and I can't even post a comment on your page. In response to your question, yes, I would like to remain friends with you after the transition.

John Battles said:

SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "DAYDREAMING AT MIDNIGHT" - There are good SONGS on here , but Doug's Sons and their love for G'N'R permeated the affair ( Shawn Sahm , mind you , is doing an ace job with the reformed Texas Tornados , And Shandon Sahm, well , he joined The Meat Puppets about 15 years after I stoped caring , BUT , I CAN ACCEPT THAT MORE READILY THAN THE MYTH THAT THERE'S ANY G'N'R IN SDQ) ......DOUG CLIFFORD REPLACED THE MIGHTY , MIGHTY MIKE BUCK ON DRUMS , AND I KNOW , I'M WHITE , I REMEMBER NIXON , I SHOULD BE IMPERVIOUS TO HAVING CCR SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT 40+ YEARS. I LIKE SOME OF THEIR SONGS , OK , I GUESS , BUT , I WAS NEVER CRAZY ABOUT HIS DRUMMING.......The BIG problem was how overproduced the album was.You can tell many of these songs would be gems if they sounded RAW (Which G'n'R and friends pretended to be.).......I kept my copy for their version of The Elevators' "You Don't Know(How Young You Are)" , though it , too , could have been stripped down , considerably.

BTW: Doug Sahm rebounded rather quickly with "The Last Real Texas Blues Band , Live at Antones'.".

On the other hand , Doug's otherwise uncommercial ( Swamp Pop -styled songs , all good.), but the ONE radio - friendly song . "Money Over Love" had HIT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.  Did'nt happen , though.

• July 11, 2013 1:12 AM CDT
    • John,

Where was the "here" that Skid Marx was from? We had a Skid Marx in Detroit.

• July 11, 2013 12:26 AM CDT
    • Euthanasia Gumby from The Creeping Terror, THAT''s funny. I like good movie names that make the transition to good band names. I wanted to start a band called The Weird Lovemakers , but , someone beat me to it. (NON - Actor) Troy McClure , what band is he in?

• July 10, 2013 4:54 AM CDT
    • I still love, Kid Congo Powers, Rat Scabies, Troy McLure, and Euthanasia Gumby (Creeping Terror)

• July 10, 2013 2:24 AM CDT
    • i MIGHT HAVE MENTIONED bLITZ AND zzERO , EARLIER....oOR someone else probably did. Not to mention Jeff Magnum. Christine...I thought "Exene " was an Eastern European name she got  lucky by being born with . Oh , well. Even their little known first Drummer had a "Punk Rock name" , Mick Basher. Those are all good names , they don't have to all be "Punk Rock' people.

There was a Skid Marx , here , but , his music could hardly be called Punk.

• July 9, 2013 4:06 AM CDT
    • Jeez! I made a big-ass list of names and I was sure nobody would name many of them but you got damn near all of them, even most of the Canadian ones!

Here's what you left me:

Rod Bent/Firestone

Buzz Click

Pete Sake

Top Ten

Chriss Suicide

Peter Treason

The Touch

Hi Fi Junior

Gyda Gash

Captain Beefheart

Lightnin' Hopkins

Professor Longhair

Shorty Long

West Virginia Creeper

Cherry Vanilla

and my personal favorite:

Tom Morwatts, guitarist in The Mutants

Did anyone say Johnny Blitz & Jimmy Zero? I can't remember...

By the way, Exene's real name is Christine Cervenka.

Yeah, I know, some of mine were in no way related to punk rock. Sorry.

• July 8, 2013 7:36 PM CDT
    • Sharon Needles

Cozwell tomb (coz for short... coz tomb = costume)

• July 10, 2013 7:50 PM CDT
    • Yeah , Glitter only had one hit in the states , "Rock'n'Roll,Pt.2" , of course. He became a star in Britain and on the continent , and , I guess , Australia ,  too , because of his NON - star like qualities . He seemed like a real good - natured fellow , and , people said he was , but no one knew , yet , what he was all about. Do I still love his music ? Of course , but this is a thread that's been covered......

• July 10, 2013 9:13 AM CDT
    • What about Gary Glitter - Hello Hello I'm Back. Bad man, good song

• July 10, 2013 2:29 PM CDT
    • YEAH , IT'S ONE OF MY LEAST FAVORITE , TOO. I first heard the album when it was loaned to me by a couple who'd just had a baby  and were REALLY into Children's music and Kiddie Rock , LONG BEFORE IT WAS CONSIDERED COOL - Like JONATHAN Richman's post - classic Modern Lovers stuff.....They loved this album. I liked going to  sleep to it. As is frequently stated in the notes , it's very hit or miss, but, I'm anxious to hear what they did with it anyway (The remixes on the "Travel With Your Mind" CD were ACE. No pun intended....). Plus , I'm very anxious to hear the outtakes. Sky had often been accused of being over - anxious in the studio, like , dancing wildly , as though he were doing a concert.

I do have a copy of the Melodyland show , but, until recently , I did'nt know they'd undergone any personnel changes. Sounds like classic Seeds to me. Plus , the new songs hold their own.....Anxious to hear the "Raw And Alive" revisited.....For years , that was the only Seeds reissue you could find.  iF THEY CAN CLEAN UP "MELODYLAND" A BIT (IT'S STILL GREAT FOR A HAND HELD MICROPHONE , 45 YEARS AGO.), and lose the overdubbed audience noise , and get the levels right on "Raw and Alive", Mr. Palao should get himself some awards.

• July 10, 2013 8:46 AM CDT
    • I oversold the doom and gloom of the liners but not the second disc. Sky is too loud in the mix but the Seeds when playing a song in early takes live in the studio, it's all glorious. These rough takes are the same Seeds as the first album. I keep hearing different mixes that could have been or how the arrangement of some songs could have been honed into rock and roll instead of being Futurized. I even like "Entrance Way" here (one of my least favorite Seeds tracks)!

• July 10, 2013 2:13 AM CDT
    • jYMN , i JUST FOUND THE "FUTURE" SET TODAY , AT A SAVINGS OF FIVE DOLLAH ! HELL , YEAH. I AGREE WITH THE LINERS , THE ALBUM MAY BE AN UNPOLISHED GEM , OR PRETENTIOUS WANKERY WITH SOME GREAT SONGS STRUGGLING TO GET OUT...or , BOTH.

I'LL REPORT BACK WITH MY FINDINGS.

• July 9, 2013 4:41 PM CDT

• And there's an Exploited song giving one of their typically insightful political views in a barely audiable vocal track. Maggie You Cunt. It's kinda funny because those guys are pretty right wing, Wattie was a squaddie and punk aside would have looked on paper like a typical Tory supporter in the 80s.

Wattie like the rest of us, was disillusioned with the whole thing, But he spoke his mind. His aggravation at the wars in the world & whatever else pished him off...he could really tell it like it was. Opening lyric to politicians was "left this country in a mess"... heavy stuff
      naz nomad said:

Try Let The Country Feed You By The Anti Nowhere League. Ha Ha Ha Theres a bit that says "The education isn't needed, Just sign your name & you've succeeded. Thatcher reduced the country to that.....ha ha ha C^~£!

naz nomad said:

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

by the way...UK based internet radio station Dandelion Radio are running a one hour 'Thatcher Special',  broadcasting daily until the end of the month, times vary but there is a schedule on their website:-

http://www.dandelionradio.com/index.htm

...a couple of the tunes people have posted here feature.....

Plus this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BZIWSI5UQ

• July 9, 2013 4:24 PM CDT
    • Try Let The Country Feed You By The Anti Nowhere League. Ha Ha Ha Theres a bit that says "The education isn't needed, Just sign your name & you've succeeded. Thatcher reduced the country to that.....ha ha ha C^~£!

naz nomad said:

The Blue Giant Zeta Puppies said:

by the way...UK based internet radio station Dandelion Radio are running a one hour 'Thatcher Special',  broadcasting daily until the end of the month, times vary but there is a schedule on their website:-

http://www.dandelionradio.com/index.htm

...a couple of the tunes people have posted here feature.....

Plus this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BZIWSI5UQ

• July 9, 2013 12:02 PM CDT
    • PLAYLIST FOR 7/8/13

06:04PM The Mean Jeans “Steve Don't Party No More”

06:06PM The Briefs “Poor and Weird”

06:09PM The Testors “MK Ultra”

06:11PM Glo “Du Gor Dum Du Vill”

06:16PM Rancid “Up To No Good”

06:19PM The Snazzy Boys “Rockin' In The Streets”

06:22PM Powertrip “Lab Animal”

06:24PM The Damned “Smash It Up”

06:32PM Jay Reatard “Oh It's Such a Shame”

06:33PM Devo “Gates Of Steel”

06:37PM The Real Losers “Do the Jerk”

06:38PM Space Cretins “Rockets On”

06:40PM Teengenerate “Burn My Eye”

06:50PM Melvins “Going Blind”

06:51PM Mudhoney “Burn It Clean”

06:53PM The Last Words “Animal World”

06:57PM New Luck Toy “Ichiban”

07:03PM The Scientists “Swampland”

07:06PM Guitar Wolf “Summertime Blues”

07:08PM 69 Charger “Love Potion 69”

07:11PM The Neckbones “Souls On Fire”

07:20PM Rose Tattoo “Astra Wally”

07:21PM Go To Hells “Chevy II Nova”

07:26PM The Hands “Rock and Roll is Dead”

07:28PM Jon Spencer Blues Explosion “2 Kindsa Love”

07:36PM LOCAL SIZZLER: The Exotics “Shanghai”

07:37PM The Pixies “Tony's Theme”

07:38PM Radio Birdman “Hand of Law”

07:43PM Cosmic Psychos “Alright Tonite”

07:49PM Motorhead “Over The Top”

07:53PM Nashville Pussy “You're Goin' Down”

07:55PM The Hellacopters “Times Are Low”

07:58PM The Saints “(I'm) Misunderstood”

08:04PM The Cramps “Swing the Big Eyed Rabbit”

08:08PM Fools On Sunday “Nothing To Me”

08:09PM Link Wray & The Raymen “Ace of Spades”

08:11PM The Mach III's “Insomnia”

08:17PM Hunx And His Punx “Mud In Your Eyes”

08:21PM Angel and the Devines “Octopus”

08:22PM Thee Headcoatees “Strychnine”

08:23PM Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds “Loud and Proud”

08:25PM Supercharger “Gum Flappin' Baby”

08:27PM Gino And The Goons “Orange Grove”

08:29PM The Oblivians “Little War Child”

08:35PM The Cocktail Preachers “Rudie Can't Fail”

08:39PM The Flower Children “Mini Skirt Blues”

08:41PM The Nomads “(I'm) Out of It”

08:45PM The Brood “Come On Come On”

08:52PM The Revells “My Little Slot Coupe”

08:53PM Urban Surf Kings “Clampdown”

08:55PM The Gruesomes “Things She Does to Me”

09:00PM The Customs “Is She Sore”

• July 9, 2013 10:28 AM CDT
    • Oh yeah, I like the concept of a GPH-Mob -headed by the "she-wolf"- invading the backstage! ...you already got the connection! hehehe

did you sent them a link? good idea to promote the hideout!

Tersicore said:

speaking of which, i wish we could once build a pack for the next Europe-tour and go together as a GPH-Mob, possibly even hang out backstage, wouldn´t be great? ;)

• July 9, 2013 6:14 AM CDT
    • Like your pics too!
      I´m not a year-long-fan as you but they got me now! still beaming as well! They´re a Bullet!
      Couldn´t follow the Guitar Wolf cinema unfortunately but i will next time in a better venue.
      speaking of which, i wish we could once build a pack for the next Europe-tour and go together as a GPH-Mob, possibly even hang out backstage, wouldn´t be great? ;)

IDON MINE said:

Hahaha, very nice!

Cool pictures, thanks! Looks like a lotta fun there! Hope the Rawk'N'Roll body aches of today flee fast.

Yeah, believe it or not, I'm still beaming from this show, they have tremendous energy! They are a fuckin unit, hittin you like a lightning bolt of good times! Played all the classics, I flipped when WILD ZERO came on. The intro videos (aka Guitar Wolf cinema), were nice too. I liked the caged Beast scene at the end, right before they entered the stage. Good metaphor.

Sorrily I didn't get to hang out for long afterwards, the venue is a bit out of town and subways don't go after 12.30........... but it was great to see them for sure. I had a 50/50 chance of seeing them in Munich the next day, but it couldn't be done, eh, next time.

Tersicore said:

ha ha, just AWESOME!!

I didn´t enjoy much the first half gig really, since the space was slander, low-ceilinged and crowded. Personally i actually need to be downstage to savor a gig. Half a concert was done as Guitar Wolf started to complain a bit about the audience (at least i believe but not sure, i was already Jolly!;), later on started to play tennis with his guitar chord (the balls sounded so heavy, at first i thought he´s shooting billiard balls). Anyhow slowly some people left and so i finally decided to go in front to enjoy the wolves....other freaks did the same. It went better and better... 
      The end part of the concert was simply fantastic! Seiji was a water fountain himself but he had a better mood and was funny. After we the crow called for more, (a couple of times) they enchore with different great songs one of which, I love you ok, was fucking awesome!!  I got convinced (but i was pretty drunk by the time) it wasn´t Guitar Wolf singing, but The King himself!! I freaked out!! :D
      here some pics of mine..
      TORU

U G

SEIJI

:)

i love those pics!

after the great gig it got wicked! been invited to stay backstage with them and we all had so much fun!! we smoked, drunk and kid around for hours!! Actually till they left for a sleep and than to Hamburg. Despite of communication difficulties all the people there gel on well and we had such a nice time!! They are fantastic persons and funny too!
      I do have now an awesome guitar wolf´s guitar pick! Looks beautifull! :)
      I really had a great night!! I love them! I love Japanese!! This band rules!

ok, i post a pic of me with them ;D

...please Idon, don´t even mention sundays! OUCH!!  ;D

• July 8, 2013 5:08 PM CDT
    • "ÄäähH?? Whatz did ya say??? TINNIWHAT??  I CAN´T HEAR YOU!!!

:D hahaha, no, no need for whistle. I´m a she-wolf myself and felt really confortable! ;) "

by the way, just got a mail from one of them and a new pic. :)
      I think i´ll send the link of this thread so they may have a look in hier. :)

Doc Phibes said:

whooo, too bad that we were leaving right after the show to get some fresh air and ear treatment for tinnitus - backstage with the wolves - that's great!

did they hand you a whistle to blow if you're ever in trouble??? :D

Tersicore said:

after the great gig it got wicked! been invited to stay backstage with them and we all had so much fun!! we smoked, drunk and kid around for hours!! Actually till they left for a sleep and than to Hamburg. Despite of communication difficulties all the people there gel on well and we had such a nice time!! They are fantastic persons and funny too!

• July 8, 2013 4:49 PM CDT
    • Cool pics as well!! I missed to snap the Ad at the entrance... nice!

(I didn´t get Seiji's crowdsurfin'... actually not the best venue for it!)

Doc Phibes said:

yeah, totally agree with Tersicores report - despite of the poor location it was an AWESOME GIG! real fun!!! my friend Jana shot some cool pix...

crowdsurfin' Seiji's scratching the ceiling...

ROCK'N'ROLL LICENCE!

Tersicore said:

ha ha, just AWESOME!!

I didn´t enjoy much the first half gig really, since the space was slander, low-ceilinged and crowded. Personally i actually need to be downstage to savor a gig. Half a concert was done as Guitar Wolf started to complain a bit about the audience (at least i believe but not sure, i was already Jolly!;), later on started to play tennis with his guitar chord (the balls sounded so heavy, at first i thought he´s shooting billiard balls). Anyhow slowly some people left and so i finally decided to go in front to enjoy the wolves....other freaks did the same. It went better and better... 
      The end part of the concert was simply fantastic! Seiji was a water fountain himself but he had a better mood and was funny. After we the crow called for more, (a couple of times) they enchore with different great songs one of which, I love you ok, was fucking awesome!!  I got convinced (but i was pretty drunk by the time) it wasn´t Guitar Wolf singing, but The King himself!! I freaked out!! :D

• July 8, 2013 4:08 PM CDT
    • whooo, too bad that we were leaving right after the show to get some fresh air and ear treatment for tinnitus - backstage with the wolves - that's great!

did they hand you a whistle to blow if you're ever in trouble??? :D

Tersicore said:

• July 8, 2013 3:55 PM CDT
    • yeah, totally agree with Tersicores report - despite of the poor location it was an AWESOME GIG! real fun!!! my friend Jana shot some cool pix...

crowdsurfin' Seiji's scratching the ceiling...

ROCK'N'ROLL LICENCE!

Tersicore said:

ha ha, just AWESOME!!