Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 30, 2013 1:12 AM CDT
    • A hundred is crazy , especially , back then . I eventually found a good copy of The Elektra version for $8 OR $10 , I THINK. I even had the 8 Track at one point , and I should have left it teh hell alone (Or , had I known ,several years later , I'd be meeting some of these people , plus Lenny Kaye , I would've asked them all to sign it.) But , no , It tried playing it (In the 80's a lot of stereo amps still had 8 - Track players , at least if they were slightly used.), and it broke , instantly. Still , I was glad to plunk down my change to get the Rhino Nuggets box set (Both of 'em) ....I was able to find 'em both at a little under half - price. The first one , I have every song on it , save for maybe two , but the SOUND is so much better (Especially compared to their own early Rhino CDs.).

• June 29, 2013 4:17 PM CDT
    • That makes a lot more sense now, that Bobby Balderrama comment.  Thanks.

Yeah, I got the Sire edition for 20 bucks but that was better than the Hundred I saw for the Elektra and a hundred bucks was harder to come by in 1986 than 20 was in 1996.  So it was a deal.

John Battles said:

Rockin' Rod , Bobby told me he was inspired by Joe Kelley , as they did a lot of dates together on that tour I mentioned , and , he said he loved listening to him play , live. The only then - big name Guitarist he ever mentioned looking up to at teh time was Jeff Beck. Bobby  told me , though , that the label brought in studio musicians for parts of "Action" , though , he was improving . No doubt , the whole band was . But , Allen Klein wanted it done his way. Even their post - CP singles show growth , but , they could'nt hit on a formula for another big - selling record.....Even though , now , they're credited for inadvertently creating the classic "Bubblegum" prototype with 'Do Something To Me". With Kasenetz/Katz's help , of course. Bobby , today , of course , is playing on top of his game.....He can throw in these fancy Blues - Rock leads and not detract from the song.   Joe Kelley , I've seen once , doing that predictable Hendrix/70's Albert King -style Heavy Blues - Rock. Not bad , for what it was. Better than most of his peers who are still playing in Chicagoland. I don't know how many people were aware of BFTG when the first records came out. I did'nt , personally , see the records (Grossly overpriced , but , I'm not pinning that on Tim) until about 1986. I know I was'nt seeing their hilarious ads ,with Mort Todd's artwork and Tim's hilarious "Everything sucks !'' rants , until around that time , either......I DID'NT START BUYING THEM TIL I MOVED TO CHICAGO , WHERE I COULD GET THEM FOR $8 , but.  I'd been aware of 'em for a while. The original "Nuggets " set WAS hard to score , affordably , and I , too , seldom saw the Sire re-issue. I found it with only one record , for about $3 , and bought it anyway , as I had a radio show , and wanted to play some of those songs. It IS hard to describe one's own music , if it's not just a cookie cutter , across the board , copy of an established genre. That's  why it's more fun to let people tell you what it reminds them of , and see how close  they are.  Like , when I first saw Sons of Hercules , I told them , I can hear The Seeds AND Johnny Thunders in your music. They said , you're right on the money.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I'm surprised that Bobby Balderrama would mention Joe Kelley as an influence as both their singles and albums came out roughly at the same time and they really weren't travelling all that much until after the releases.  But then again, he probably meant that seeing him play encouraged him just to get better.  Bobby's playing grew by leaps and bounds by the time ACTION  had come out in 1967.   Anyway....I just thought the term "garage punk" was a bit more unique than just "punk rock" so was surprised to find it used on the NUGGETS album.  I didn't pick it up until 1996 (a friend had it but I never read the liner notes) as it was for years a very expensive album in its Elektra issue and Sire copies weren't that common in the 80s in Seattle.  Crypt's BACK FROM THE GRAVE came out in 1983 so it wasn't that far into the 80s when the phrase became popular again but I didn't pick up on it until 1987 when I bought my first BFTG and saw the catalog that included GARAGE PUNK UNKNOWNS and I didn't start using the term to describe my band until 1991.  It didn't even dawn on me to use the term when we started two years earlier because I didn't quite "get" it yet.  I'd say we were a sixties style band.  People would say "like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones?"  So then I'd say "we're a punk band" but then we'd disappoint because we didn't play any Sex Pistols or Clash or Ramones style stuff.  "60's style punk band" was confusing to people, but by 1991, Estrus Records and the Mummies were just taking off and then I thought, "wait, a lot of this stuff sounds like Crypt in a way", and then I finally got "Garage Punk" and what it really meant.  Been using it ever since.

• June 29, 2013 3:47 PM CDT
    • Rockin' Rod , Bobby told me he was inspired by Joe Kelley , as they did a lot of dates together on that tour I mentioned , and , he said he loved listening to him play , live. The only then - big name Guitarist he ever mentioned looking up to at teh time was Jeff Beck. Bobby  told me , though , that the label brought in studio musicians for parts of "Action" , though , he was improving . No doubt , the whole band was . But , Allen Klein wanted it done his way. Even their post - CP singles show growth , but , they could'nt hit on a formula for another big - selling record.....Even though , now , they're credited for inadvertently creating the classic "Bubblegum" prototype with 'Do Something To Me". With Kasenetz/Katz's help , of course. Bobby , today , of course , is playing on top of his game.....He can throw in these fancy Blues - Rock leads and not detract from the song.   Joe Kelley , I've seen once , doing that predictable Hendrix/70's Albert King -style Heavy Blues - Rock. Not bad , for what it was. Better than most of his peers who are still playing in Chicagoland. I don't know how many people were aware of BFTG when the first records came out. I did'nt , personally , see the records (Grossly overpriced , but , I'm not pinning that on Tim) until about 1986. I know I was'nt seeing their hilarious ads ,with Mort Todd's artwork and Tim's hilarious "Everything sucks !'' rants , until around that time , either......I DID'NT START BUYING THEM TIL I MOVED TO CHICAGO , WHERE I COULD GET THEM FOR $8 , but.  I'd been aware of 'em for a while. The original "Nuggets " set WAS hard to score , affordably , and I , too , seldom saw the Sire re-issue. I found it with only one record , for about $3 , and bought it anyway , as I had a radio show , and wanted to play some of those songs. It IS hard to describe one's own music , if it's not just a cookie cutter , across the board , copy of an established genre. That's  why it's more fun to let people tell you what it reminds them of , and see how close  they are.  Like , when I first saw Sons of Hercules , I told them , I can hear The Seeds AND Johnny Thunders in your music. They said , you're right on the money.

I'm surprised that Bobby Balderrama would mention Joe Kelley as an influence as both their singles and albums came out roughly at the same time and they really weren't travelling all that much until after the releases.  But then again, he probably meant that seeing him play encouraged him just to get better.  Bobby's playing grew by leaps and bounds by the time ACTION  had come out in 1967.   Anyway....I just thought the term "garage punk" was a bit more unique than just "punk rock" so was surprised to find it used on the NUGGETS album.  I didn't pick it up until 1996 (a friend had it but I never read the liner notes) as it was for years a very expensive album in its Elektra issue and Sire copies weren't that common in the 80s in Seattle.  Crypt's BACK FROM THE GRAVE came out in 1983 so it wasn't that far into the 80s when the phrase became popular again but I didn't pick up on it until 1987 when I bought my first BFTG and saw the catalog that included GARAGE PUNK UNKNOWNS and I didn't start using the term to describe my band until 1991.  It didn't even dawn on me to use the term when we started two years earlier because I didn't quite "get" it yet.  I'd say we were a sixties style band.  People would say "like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones?"  So then I'd say "we're a punk band" but then we'd disappoint because we didn't play any Sex Pistols or Clash or Ramones style stuff.  "60's style punk band" was confusing to people, but by 1991, Estrus Records and the Mummies were just taking off and then I thought, "wait, a lot of this stuff sounds like Crypt in a way", and then I finally got "Garage Punk" and what it really meant.  Been using it ever since.

• June 29, 2013 2:02 PM CDT
    • I'm surprised that Bobby Balderrama would mention Joe Kelley as an influence as both their singles and albums came out roughly at the same time and they really weren't travelling all that much until after the releases.  But then again, he probably meant that seeing him play encouraged him just to get better.  Bobby's playing grew by leaps and bounds by the time ACTION  had come out in 1967.   Anyway....I just thought the term "garage punk" was a bit more unique than just "punk rock" so was surprised to find it used on the NUGGETS album.  I didn't pick it up until 1996 (a friend had it but I never read the liner notes) as it was for years a very expensive album in its Elektra issue and Sire copies weren't that common in the 80s in Seattle.  Crypt's BACK FROM THE GRAVE came out in 1983 so it wasn't that far into the 80s when the phrase became popular again but I didn't pick up on it until 1987 when I bought my first BFTG and saw the catalog that included GARAGE PUNK UNKNOWNS and I didn't start using the term to describe my band until 1991.  It didn't even dawn on me to use the term when we started two years earlier because I didn't quite "get" it yet.  I'd say we were a sixties style band.  People would say "like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones?"  So then I'd say "we're a punk band" but then we'd disappoint because we didn't play any Sex Pistols or Clash or Ramones style stuff.  "60's style punk band" was confusing to people, but by 1991, Estrus Records and the Mummies were just taking off and then I thought, "wait, a lot of this stuff sounds like Crypt in a way", and then I finally got "Garage Punk" and what it really meant.  Been using it ever since.

• June 29, 2013 1:17 AM CDT
    •  A little bit different , but , they both used the same phrase , albeit differently , to describe the same kind of music.  Of course , those bands were not carbon copies of each other , though Bobby Balderrama , of the Mysterians , has frequently told me that Joe Kelley (Shadows of Knight ) and Rick Derringer (Then Zehringer) of The McCoys were two of his biggest influences as a Guitar player. Of course , The Seeds , Shadows of Knight , McCoys and ? and The Mysterians  toured the states together. Warren may have re - popularized the term , but I was hearing the phrases "Garage Punk" and "60's Punk" in the very early 80's , before Crypt came on , to describe the music still best known via Nuggets , Pebbles , and smaller pressing LPs that were starting to pop up. But , Warren deserves a lot of credit , of course. HE HATED PEBBLES AND SIMILAR COMPS ( I don't.), AND HE MADE IT HIS GOAL TO RELEASE THE BEST TRACKS FROM THOSE COMPS , AS WELL AS PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN TRACKS , WITH GOOD SOUND , BAND PHOTOS , AND QUOTES FROM BAND MEMBERS , WHENEVER POSSIBLE. He raised the bar , to be sure . I'm enjoying this article , but , it's a little late . I'll have to read it , later.  I did read , in magazines like Creem , the word "Punk" being used in conjunction with Aerosmith , if only because Steven Tyler's attitude registered as "Punk" with some. Aping David Johansen's act , then making off wth his old lady . Real Punk. Blue Oyster Cult were being referred to as "Punk", too. their connection to a still - obscure Patti Smith got played up a bit. Question Mark said people called his band "Punks" in the mid- 60's , and Bill Bulinski , of The ELECTRAS , told me that there were certain bands THAT PEOPLE CALLED "PUNK" at the same time , in Minnesota , so , who's to say where it really began , though Marsh and Kaye popularized the expression , even if it took a while to catch on , and Greg Shaw , whose magazine could'nt have been reaching many people at the time , took the ball and ran with it , according to this article. I believe that. But , he did'nt treat this music with nostalgia. It was'nt even that old. Similarly , there was a flourishing Rockabilly scene in LA at that time , and virtually no one cared , tho' even Rockabilly was'nt that old at the time.

• June 28, 2013 8:18 PM CDT
    • LENNY'S USE OF THE TERM SOLIDIFIED IT , THOUGH DAVE MARSH WAS AHEAD OF HIM , JUST BY A BIT ("NUGGETS " CAME OUT IN '72.) . Maybe he did'nt think the term would really take off , or thought it obvious that The Standells and Seeds were in the same league as Shadows of Knight , though certainly different from The Blues Project , Sagitarrius and The Third Rail. There was an article about 60's Garage Bands ,the better known ones and the local bands that maybe put out one 45 , in the British "Story of Pop " Magazine. Kaye may have written it. I'm not sure. It may have been published in '73, if not late '72.The article was called "PUNK ROCK: The History of The Scuz Bands.".........I HAVE'NT SEEN IT SINCE THE LATE 70's.

The earliest usage of the term "Garage Punk" goes back to Nuggets when Lenny Kaye was talking about the Shadows of Knight in the liner notes.  Why he didn't use it to describe the Standells or the Seeds is beyond me except that maybe they were one of the few groups to make it that actually just graduated high school.  All the others were pretty professional and in the case of side 4 of that album, studio groups.

• June 28, 2013 7:36 PM CDT
    • Tyler , It's all right. Sometimes what we want to say , up here (Points to his head) comes out differently , transcribed on paper , or here , online , than it would if you were just saying it aloud, in a conversation.....I've looked at things I've posted online , then thought , that's not what I said , or meant to say , at least..... That said , When Tim Warren got Crypt Records going , which was , what? about 1985 , maybe earlier , most of those bands he later championed , like Teengenerate and The Devil Dogs , either did'nt exist yet or were just getting their thing together....with the exception of The Lazy Cowgirls , WHO'D BEEN AROUND AWHILE.    I think most people just called 'em Punk , tho' they had a mid 60's Garage , and 50's R'N'R , influence , because they refused to cave to SO. CAL. Hardcore sensiblilities. As one friend told me , almost 20 years ago , "It's music by old men , for old men". If younger people want to embrace it , that's great. But , they can , or could , PLAY , so that's a handicap, these days . Devil Dogs could play , too. They were , as Warren put it so well , "Punk Rock as in Saints - DMZ , NOT Post - Punk.". But , not many bands on Crypt seemed to have that "Back From The Grave" /60's Punk thing going on , at least , not so much that I could ever notice. One of the first bands I ever saw that "Got it" , "IT" , being the relationship between 60's and 70's Punk Rock was Sons of Hercules , and that , too , was only about 20 years ago.

There's nothing wrong with citing differences between things that are related , though.

But , I  think a lot of people , today , make too big of an issue , segregating music that obviously goes hand in hand . For the same reason (If you can call it that.) Rockabilly fans generally don't like Garage Punk (Which is like liking you Mom and not your Dad.) , in the "Hardcore Uber Alles" 80's Underground , it was'nt cool to like Rockabilly , Garage or Psych....BUT THAT CHANGED , IN TIME .

Tyler said:

Shit....yeah I just worded that very badly

Back From the Grave is the definition of "60's punk" to me. I  just meant that "60's punk" and "garage rock" to me are the same thing...just one term was used later than the other (first it was "punk rock", then when punk hit as we know it today, it was relabeled "60's punk" to differeniate it from the new sound, then it became labeled "garage rock"). 

What i meant at the end regarding Back From the Grave is that I find it funny how Tim Warren referrred to it as "garage punk" on the front cover....because, to me, Garage Punk is a term used to describe later bands like Lazy Cowgirls, Devil Dogs and Teengenerate...like, bands influenced by both the 60's stuff, AND the late 70's stuff. 

I'm not saying I'm correct...it's just what I always thought the terms meant. I'm obviously splitting hairs here, and wording it horribly :P

John Battles said:

I'm following you , here , except , why would'nt you consider the bands on "Back From The Grave" to be 60's Punk. Or , AM i MISREADING YOU , AND YOU'RE REALLY SAYING THERE'S TWO HEAVILY USED TERMS "60'S PUNK" AND "GARAGE ROCK" , AND THAT MAKES IT CONFUSING TO SOME? 

• June 28, 2013 3:22 PM CDT
    • The earliest usage of the term "Garage Punk" goes back to Nuggets when Lenny Kaye was talking about the Shadows of Knight in the liner notes.  Why he didn't use it to describe the Standells or the Seeds is beyond me except that maybe they were one of the few groups to make it that actually just graduated high school.  All the others were pretty professional and in the case of side 4 of that album, studio groups.

• June 30, 2013 12:58 AM CDT
    • So , this singles collection is for real , too. I heard about "Raw and Alive" getting done right. Some of their best songs went on that album , which is pretty amazing for a faux live album , recorded by a band on it's last legs.

People have been picking dirt on The Seeds for ages , and I don't just mean Kim Fowley. I've liked some of the reissues in the past , part . "Travel With Your Mind", but , who'd have thought a treasure trove like this would have ever been released on an unsuspecting world?

I met Sky twice. He was laid back , almost to a fault , not making insane proclamations. Just a gentle soul. He hugged me , twice . I don't know why , all I brought to get signed was my Seeds Hip Pocket record. He asked me if I wanted to sell it , but , quickly changed the subject. 

When Ya Ho Wa 13 played here , shortly after Sky's departure , they put up a big picture of Sky and said "This is Sky Saxon. He was our Brother . And, he was your Brother , too.".

• June 29, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
    • Yes, these current re-issues are lovingly done and should do well to cement The Seeds' legacy. Amazing stuff -- and I am being drawn back into the same Seeds-mania I first felt more than 25 years ago!

Besides the Seeds singles collection, a 2-CD re-issue of "Raw & Alive" should also be out in a few months, including the un-dubbed versions of the tracks (without added crowd noise)! 

A great time to be a Seeds fan -- and it has made me think back on my various Sky meetings over the years. :)

• June 29, 2013 4:07 PM CDT
    • Yes , very cool. I'm just glad to be seeing THE SEEDS FINALLY GETTING THEIR DUE , THO' , SADLY , ONLY TWO OF THEM LIVED TO WITNESS THIS.  Sky ,at least , toured extensively with The Wooly Bandits. I saw him once , and it was extraordinary. The second time , Sky was singing in keys known only to himself , but , it was still a good time. A friend of mine , who knew both ARTHUR LEE and SKY SAXON ,WAS OVERTHE MOON WHEN ARTHUR STARTED PLAYING HIS COMEBACK SHOWS (THO' THE 500 OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE AT HIS FIRST POST - PRISON GIG IN CHICAGO COULD HAVE JOINED ALL 75 OF US WHEN HE PLAYED HERE IN '93.).....MY FRIEND SAID , NOW THEY NEED TO DO THE SAME FORTHE SEEDS ! HE WAS RIGHT , AND , ATLEAST FOR A WHILE , IT HAPPENED , THO' WITHOUTANY OTHER ORIGINAL MEMBERS (BARRING JAN SAVAGE , WHO PLAYED WITH THEM , EARLY ON.)

• June 29, 2013 2:25 AM CDT
    • The "long version" Pushin' Too Hard 45 from the UK has arrived -- I probably wouldn't have noticed the extra verse if I didn't listen for it -- and it looks like it will be included in an upcoming CD singles collection anyway. But having it on actual vinyl is cool! :)

• June 29, 2013 9:21 PM CDT
    • I know it's a bit cheeky to say this...but, what the fuck...I've got a good story about how I got my pseudonym "Eugene Ripper"....I was joining my first band in 1979. It was in Toronto Canada and the band was called (and still is) Stark Naked and The Fleshtones...I was 16 years old, the new guy and the youngest in the group...Paul (aka Stark Naked) was the lead singer and in charge of coming up with names...At that point he christened me..."Vic Sectomy"....Hey, it was '79, I was 16 and was in cool band...I was good to go with being Vic Sectomy. Anyway as fate would have it...it was not ment to be. One day, at high school, me and Starky were walking down the halls after cutting a class and getting high. I was feeling kinda mischievous and was a few steps behind Stark as we ambled along. I was somewhat transfixed on a dangle of denim that hanging and dragging of Stark"s ill fitting scrappy tatter hand me down blue jeans...after a few strides...I could help myself and I stepped down on the tassel of denim as Stark stepped forward resulting in the a a good 8 inch rip up leg of his blue jeans...He stopped...turned...paused and pointed..." you , you, you ....YOU JEAN RIPPER!  Kaboooom...let's just said, we had a moment and a laugh and it was done...I was to be "Eugene Ripper" ...after all these year's the handle remains my handle, stage name, nom de disc...all that stuff. 

www.eugeneripper.com

www.starknakedandthefleshtones.com

• June 29, 2013 3:57 PM CDT
    • Playlist 06/29/13

Question Mark & The Mysterians  Love Me Baby (Cherry July) 
      Astronauts  Baja 
      Sunrays  I Live For The Sun 
      Harmonica Lewinski  Bikini Beach 
      Attack  Strange House 
      McFadden's Parachute  Hometown 
      Pink Floyd  See Emily Play 
      Syn  Grounded 
      Dag Nasty  Incinerate 
      Gore Gore Girls  Hunt You Down 
      Mr T Experience  What Went Wrong 
      Redd Kross  Shonen Knife 
      Husker Du  Celebrated Summer 
      Squirrel Bait  Tape To California 
      Mission of Burma  That's When I Reach For My Revolver 
      Velvet Underground  What Goes On 
      Bass Drum of Death  Crawling After You 
      Secret Colours  Blackbird (Only One) 
      Thee Oh Sees  Tunnel Time 
      King Tuff  Kind of Guy 
      Forests of Azure  Velvet Paws 
      Baby Woodrose  Light Up Your Mind 
      Lyres  Self-Centered Girl 
      Wildebeests  She Lives In A Time of Her Own 
      Devo  Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA 
      Rezillos  Flying Saucer Attack 
      Devastation Masters  Looking for Elvis 
      Penetrators  Shopping Bag 
      Penetration  Money Talks 
      Zounds  What Is It Worth 
      Warm Soda  Spell Bound 
      Dirty Fences  Heaven Is Tonight 
      Thermals  The Sword By My Side 
      Black Angels  Don't Play with Guns 
      Fleshtones  American Beat '84 
      Hex Dispensers  My Love is a Bat 
      Godfathers  Gone To Texas 

• June 29, 2013 8:57 AM CDT
    • I'll be on the air and the web on Saturday June 29th from 1:00-3:00PM EST. It will be the usual mix of garage, punk and psychedelic. You can listen at 89.7-FM in Rochester, NY or steaming live at http://witr.rit.edu/.

• June 29, 2013 4:33 AM CDT
    • I perused the local shop with my daughter on RSD this year. They had live music and food trucks. I don't have much to spend either, but we came away with the Stones 5x5 and a couple excellent grilled cheese sandwiches. It was a good day. 

• June 28, 2013 11:39 AM CDT
    • RSD releases can be a little silly. One of my friends said this in defense of "Go Skateboarding Day": "So maybe you think it's lame but so is Valentines Day. At least on this day it's our local parks and shops that get a small spike in sales." 

And that's basically how I feel about Record Store Day. We don't have to buy the overpriced collector's box set that has gratuitous "rare" recordings of someone coughing on the first take. But considering how many people don't think they need to pay for music, or anything, anymore, I'm inclined to approve of any kind of novelty that gets people to support small businesses and music, with cash money. 

• June 28, 2013 10:34 AM CDT
    • I don't blame you failing to understand my rant. It was borne of frustration that I will never get to hear these exclusive Seeds cuts.

I thought I made it clear that I love vinyl. I own many vinyl albums and love to peruse record stores. My 'hate' is for the exclusivity of the content being sold by record companies in the name of "Record Store Day." Because I do not have the funds to purchase the exclusive vinyl or a turntable I will never get to hear these Seeds classics from two Record Store Days. My 'hate' is reserved for the elitism of this choice not for the stores themselves.

In re-reading my original post, I never said I hated record stores. I wasn't even addressing the record stores themselves! 

As for the title of the post, I thought it sounded like a punk/garage rock song title. But I guess we all have to be attacked for *something*.

• June 28, 2013 11:06 PM CDT
    • Karma To Burn for me! And clutch.

• June 28, 2013 8:23 PM CDT
    • I SEE.....
      That was the one time I saw Stiff Little Fingers ,was with Bruce Foxton , maybe in '93. Great show , but , they only reeled off about a half dozen classic tracks. I hear they do a lot more of them , now.
      The Fnords said:

Val Doonican; Irish crooner best known for stuff like "Paddy McGinty's Goat" and so on*. SLF covered "Walk Tall" to good effect; the CD is DOJO CD 224 and was recorded in 1993. Bruce Foxton on bass, throwing Jam shapes. I recognised him, but he was out of context so I didn't work out who he was. D.

*and the album "Val Doonican Rocks.....But Gently...."

• June 28, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
    • Val Doonican; Irish crooner best known for stuff like "Paddy McGinty's Goat" and so on*. SLF covered "Walk Tall" to good effect; the CD is DOJO CD 224 and was recorded in 1993. Bruce Foxton on bass, throwing Jam shapes. I recognised him, but he was out of context so I didn't work out who he was. D.

*and the album "Val Doonican Rocks.....But Gently...."

• June 28, 2013 12:12 PM CDT
    • Teengenerate- Live At Shelter is a great one. It gets so out of tune as the show goes on..and the intro is great. "(something in Japanease) Mothafucka! Okay Mothafuckin...TEENGENERATE!"

Smugglers- Growing Up Smuggler. One of my favourite live albums ever. Better than any of the studio albums.

• June 28, 2013 5:36 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist June 27/2013. Sounds From London Ontario Part 2!!

Yet another all local (London Ontario and surrounding area) special as we play music from the last 40 years of London Ontario....There is TONS more talent out there that didn't get played on these shows, but with only 3 hours total, you can't get 'em all!

1. Flying Squad...I Want You Right Now....recorded live at Call The Office 1/4/86. Biker rock ala MC5 with facial antics ably supplied by vocalist Tim Murphy.

Flying Squad at Call The Office...mid 80's.

2. Puff Forbes....Song 665...from Stratford Ontario and from their self titled limited edition CD from about 5 years ago.

Puff Forbes at Black Shire Pub 10/20/2008

3. Standstills...Blues Radio...a demo they supplied us from Oct 2008. 2 piece combo that lived in London for a coupla years while both members attended Fanshawe College.

The Standstills at Black Shire Pub, 3/27/2009

4. Jason And The Nomads...Earthquake...from the Warp Speed Ahead CD.

5. Black Holes....Big Sky/I'm A Hobo...recorded live at The Brunswick Hotel.

6. Jiggawatts...Me Time...from the Burning Bridges CD from 2009. This punk combo won best Punk Band in Scene (local giveaway paper) Magazine. Don't hold the award against these guys as i've seen them a few times and they are VERY good at what they do!!

Jiggawatts at Call The Office 12/6/12

7. Black Donnelys....from a demo and no idea what the song is. Think i got this cassette in a trade swap from a guy in Alberta many years ago.

8. Giggleswitch...How Good You Look...from the VII CD. A mixture of youngsters and old farts in this family combo that used to play out quite often a coupla years back.

9. Hell's Half Acre....United States Of Canada...from It Came From Canada Volume 4. Shedden Ontario was home to these guys. It's just past Buttfuck on the highway, don't blink or you'll miss it! These guys once opened for Deja Voodoo at The Key West in the mid 80's here in London. One of the members was in a recent punk band, 120 and the Firghting 68's that we played last week.

10. The Demics...Takin' My Time....recorded live in Toronto, probably about 1980. Betcha never heard this song before!

11. The Regulators...What Goes On....recorded live at the Polish Hall, Halloween 1979 when they played with NFG and maybe The Demics.

12. The Stoves...Look Through Any Window...recorded live at The Cedar Lounge 1979 and yes, this is The Hollies song from 1965. 

13. Uranus...Shake Some Action....recorded live from CFNY in Toronto in 1980. Uranus played at some kind of car show in Toronto and it was aired lived on CFNY, which used to be a really cool radio station back then.

Uranus at Call The Office 10/26/2012 for the Graphic Underground London 1977-1990 show

14. Frank Ridsdale...Little Red Riding Hood....recorded live on Radio What Wave 10/16/2010 as we had Frank onair playing up a storm! And Frank was in Uranus, the band we just played.

Frank Ridsdale live to air 10/16/2010

15. Orie Hitt Machine....Killer Inside Me....demo from a local maniac!

16. Captain Scarlet and The Mysterons...A Piece Of Me...late 80's demo. Singer/guitarist Tom is now in The Ridzdales, coincidentally named for Frank Ridsdale.

Captain Scarlet and The Mysterons....Call The Office, late 80's.

17. Thundermug...Africa...1972 AM radio hit. Member Bill Durst plays around occasionally and he also just won an award from Scene Magazine (but don't hold that against him).

18. Ukase....Jealousy...late 80's demo. The Zellots used to do this song in the late 70's/early 80's and it finally got recorded. You can read the full story of The Zellots in the last 2 issues of Mongrel Zine outta Vancouver and available locally at Grooves Records.

19. Dead Rabbits....Sink The Loveboat....recorded live at The Cedar Lounge 10/9/81.

20. The Sinners...No Brains Required...from their only 7" and definitely a pre-req for this radio show!

21. Lonesome Ghost....Haunted By God...from the 2nd volume of Garagepunk Hideout download CD's. AND the only local band to ever be on one of these comps. Lonesome Ghost were a 2 piece from Aylmer Ontario and blew a lot of minds in their way too short existence.

Lonesome Ghost at Grooves Records 6/20/2009

22. Bitchlove...Picket Fences...proof positive there is still life right here in sleepy London!

23. Wedge...Ain't Got No Job...from the Feedback cassette from 1993....the cassette kept playing and i started yammering not realizing the tape was still going. It ain't Radio WW without a coupla (sometimes more) fuckups!!!

24. Jim Ashby...Speed City...best fucking record to ever come outta this sleepy city and a fitting end to the show!

Jim Ashby at Call The Office 4/21/2007

Thanx Tons for all the phone calls, emails, requests, facebook messages and HEY's!!!!I know a lot of you dig these local specials and we'll do another in a few months.

Next week, it's an all Canadian show as we celebrate Canada Day on Thursday July 4th. We'll be doing some Canadian put down songs of the US as it's their birthday on show day. Requests welcome as always.

All photos from the What Wave archives...please don't reproduce without asking.

And here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• June 28, 2013 1:49 PM CDT

• the priests one of my favorite bands from my hometown, rochester, ny! i am listening to there record, Tall Tales right now. the record was put out on get hip records! the priests disband a while ago but there music prevails. the priest are dark, the priest are savage, the priests evil, the priests are rock n roll! there grooves are amazing. Sometimes it makes me think of a darker version of the seeds but with there own shit going on.  I saw them play about half a year ago. they got back together to play a show at the bug jar with the st phillips escalator. it was amazing!!ever since then I'v been hoping they get back together.