Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 8, 2013 1:52 AM CDT
    • hey guys! I love everything skateboarding/horror/comicbooks/music/videogames and I happen to do Punk Rock (Garage, Psych, Surf, Pop Punk influences) in my bedroom, I do artworks and logos and shit by myself, it's free if you wanna check it out! If you like it, head over to my facebook page. Each time I get a like or a download I'll give surfboards to kitties and make 'em fight cyber robots with lazers

http://surfinmutantspizzaparty.bandcamp.com/

be excellent to each other

• June 8, 2013 1:26 AM CDT
    • I love wild live albums that really capture the atmosphere of excitement in the venue and would like to discover more.

My top five that I can think of off hand would be "James Brown Pure Dynamite Live at the Royal Theater" (crazy 1964 album full of primal screaming for both Brown and the audience), "Controversial Negro" by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (maybe my favourite of all time, amazing!), "Low Life" by Beasts of Bourbon (underground Australian rock at its nastiest), "Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club in Hamburg" (1964 album, super high-energy rock 'n' roll) and "Live in the Red" by Pussy Galore (perfect noise rock party).

• June 7, 2013 4:58 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist June 6/2013

1. Panther Burns...Red Headed Woman....1980 demos. Tav Falco and The Unapproachable Panther Burns come to North America starting June 19th at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton, then whisk off to Ottawa for the next show. The only 2 shows in Canada!!

2. Blue Demons...Moondawg...from their self released CD. Saturday night in Stratford Ontario at the Backstage. Along with Los Oxidados (Mexico) and The Greasemarks.

3. Blue Demons...Beatnik Bandit...from their Boppa Do Down 7".

4. Blue Demons...Dick...from their self releaesed CD. One of the best names ever for a song.

5. The Greasemarks...Greasemark Boogie...2009 demo.

Beachparty Mark of The Greasemarks at The Victoria Tavern 7/10/09

6. Legend Killers...Shoot Magoo...from Four Whom The Bell Tolls, a 7" that came with What Wave zine back in 1988.

Legend Killers late 80's.

7. Legend Killers...Gunpowder...from their Better Than Hammerin' 7" on WW Records, 1989.

Legend Killers, late 80's.

8. Legend Killers...Strychnine...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with WW #24. The music of The Legend Killers is going to be featured in a play at the Fringe Festival happening here in London starting this weekend. The play is called A Beautiful View by Daniel MacIvor - Presented by Arcana Theatre at London Fringe Festival. The LK's music apparently is in a club scene (how appropriate) and was recorded at the Key West Club here in London back in 1987 by the WW mobile.

Legend Killers at Key West, late 80's. Rock'n'rasslin in action!

9. Mitch Ryder....Rock'n'Roll...from a Greatest Hits LP. Mitch is in town playing at the car show at the mansion just west of London. I vividly remember seeing Mitch tear it up at Fryfogles here in London in the mid 70's.

10. Lou Reed...Busload Of Faith...from the New York City LP. Lou just had a liver transplant and this song seemed appropriate.

11. The Reply...The Reply...from the Downtown Soul EP.

12. BB Guns...I Just Killed My Baby...from a recent demo. The BB Guns now have a 7" out, if anyone has a copy they can spare, i've got lots for trades.

13. The Recordettes...John Waters Can You Please Be My Father....from their recent 7". Here's a tip, always bring your mail inside when it's raining outside!

14.The Cut Outs...Never Wanna...from their Cut It Out! CD, 1995.

15. Red Mass...Candy...Mongrel Zine's first 7" and you can get the download from the latest Mongrel Zine, now available here in London at Grooves Records.

Red Mass at Moon Over Marin, 6/27/10

16. The Mongrels...All Systems Go...from their Radio WW Sessions from May 2.

17. The Knaves...White Cars....from their demo from a few years back.

18. The Fine Print...Tonight...from their only CD, Standing Out. Amazing local talent that broke up right after we released a cassette by them.

The Fine Print at Brennan's, 11/5/11

19. Green Hour Band....Yesterday Is Tomorrow...from their self titled CD, Vancouver.

20. The Mark Inside...Liar...from a 7" on the Magnificentsevens label from Toronto. Guitarist /vocalist Chris Levoir passed away this week.

21. King Khan and the Gris Gris...Discreate (sic) Disguise....from the new Garage Swim CD compilation.

22. Mad Anthony...City...from their recent self titled CD. Next week we've got these characters in the studio with us....it'll be a blast!!

23. Bloody 5....New York City....great way to end the show with this Toronto combo's version of The Demics New York City.

Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, messages, facebook stuff etc!!!  Back again next week with Mad Anthony from Cincinnati live in the studio.

All pictures from What Wave Archives, please do not reproduce on postcards and try to sell them without permission.

And here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• June 7, 2013 3:05 PM CDT
    • GYPSY FARM RECORDS (Athens GA and Beyond) Records, Compilations, Videos, Music Blog 

http://gypsyfarm.net 

• June 7, 2013 11:31 AM CDT
    • Where's the playlists for the previous shows?????

• June 7, 2013 2:16 AM CDT
    • Lest we forget , THE FUGS , especially their first couple of albums. FUCKED UP.

• June 7, 2013 2:02 AM CDT
    • Wildfang's LP , PRODUCED BY PAUL MAROTTA OF THE MIRRORS , falls under that heading , I guess. Ostensibly a Garage Band , they covered so many styles , it'd make your head spin.

• June 7, 2013 1:41 AM CDT
    • I'm not crazy about a lot of those bands , barring No Bunny. He copped to being inspired by me , so I GOTTA LOVE HIM. Plus , he can write some songs.....But , whatever Lenny Kaye has tosay on the matter, I will listen , read , or both. Without him , and Greg Shaw , even the most obvious Garage Punk would probably be forgotten , today. 

• June 5, 2013 8:50 PM CDT
    • JOHNNY , I REMEMBER , IT WAS ON A COMPILATION , MAYBE IT WAS THE SUB POP ONE PICTURED ON THAT CLIP.....THAT MAY NOT BE IMPOSSIBLY HARD TO TRACK DOWN. I GUESS SUB POP BEGGED THEM TO DO "STRYCHNINE" SO THEY COULD GET TEH SOUND OF FLAMING LIPS' VERSION OUT OF THEIR HEADS !

DID YOU SAY.....COVER? I THOUGHT POISON 13 WROTE THAT SONG. DID YOU MEAN , THE WASTE KINGS? THEY PUT OUT 3 SINGLES (THE FIRST ON ESTRUS.) , BUT NEVER RELEASED THEIR OWN VERSION . IT WAS JUST A STAPLE IN THEIR LIVE SET.

Johnny Lurg said:

I can't find their cover of "One Step Closer" anywhere.

I also have a 7'' that Sub Pop put out in 1994 featuring four then-unreleased Poison 13 recordings, including their covers of Joy Division's "Warsaw" and The Sonics' "Strychnine."

John Battles said:

Yeah , this came out in about '86. Poison 13 was an early Big Boys offshoot band. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT , THEIR EP INCLUDED THIS SONG , AND VERSIONS OF "PARCHMAN FARM" AND "STRANGE MOVIES". THE SUB POP CD PICTURED HERE , OF COURSE , CAME OUT MUCH LATER. I SAW THEM ONCE , THEY WERE PRETTY ROCKIN' , BUT, BY THE TIME THEY BECAME A "CULT" BAND, YEARS LATER , WITH THE 90'S GARAGE CROWD, I'D LOST INTEREST. THE WASTE KINGS , FROM CHICAGO , DID A BETTER VERSION OF "ONE STEP CLOSER " IN MY PERSONAL OPINION , THOUGH I'M SURE THEY'D DISAGREE.  

'Strange Movies " was almost a standard in Texas (Nervebreakers , T. Tex Edwards with Lithium Xmas and The Swingin' Cornflake Killers , YEAH! YEAH ! YEAH ! with Barry Kooda , etc.).....The Waste Kings , dissed in their day because they could play their instruments, also released a great version of "Strange Movies".

• June 5, 2013 2:26 AM CDT
    • I can't find their cover of "One Step Closer" anywhere.

I also have a 7'' that Sub Pop put out in 1994 featuring four then-unreleased Poison 13 recordings, including their covers of Joy Division's "Warsaw" and The Sonics' "Strychnine."

John Battles said:

Yeah , this came out in about '86. Poison 13 was an early Big Boys offshoot band. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT , THEIR EP INCLUDED THIS SONG , AND VERSIONS OF "PARCHMAN FARM" AND "STRANGE MOVIES". THE SUB POP CD PICTURED HERE , OF COURSE , CAME OUT MUCH LATER. I SAW THEM ONCE , THEY WERE PRETTY ROCKIN' , BUT, BY THE TIME THEY BECAME A "CULT" BAND, YEARS LATER , WITH THE 90'S GARAGE CROWD, I'D LOST INTEREST. THE WASTE KINGS , FROM CHICAGO , DID A BETTER VERSION OF "ONE STEP CLOSER " IN MY PERSONAL OPINION , THOUGH I'M SURE THEY'D DISAGREE.  

'Strange Movies " was almost a standard in Texas (Nervebreakers , T. Tex Edwards with Lithium Xmas and The Swingin' Cornflake Killers , YEAH! YEAH ! YEAH ! with Barry Kooda , etc.).....The Waste Kings , dissed in their day because they could play their instruments, also released a great version of "Strange Movies".

• June 4, 2013 11:48 PM CDT
    • Part II of my Green Circles kick... I finally have a copy of this CD and it's really good. Some songs are right from the Garage. Others, are poppy tracks. But it's fun. And it's nice to hear a band that doesn't take itself too bloody seriously!

• June 4, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
    •  

rocking out inna garage....

• June 5, 2013 8:43 PM CDT
    • Caroline Monroe.....you don't say. I'll have to investigate . But, I see , you're just going, primarily,  to support  Prima Donna. Yeah ,that was about it , as hits were concerned. THAT AND "FRIEND OR FOE" , and , I think "Desperate , But Not Serious" was a minor hit. I think they thought they were going to make him a big star in the states , understandable , but , after the initial rush with that first solo LP , HE WAS DEADER THAN DISCO.

MikeL said:

My thing about Adam Ant is that I only know one song by him, "Goody Two Shoes," which was one of his few hits here in America. I remember the video, and I liked it mostly for Caroline Munro as the prim and proper reporter who becomes more uninhibited as the video goes on. I also remember Adam Ant playing a white slaver in an episode of "The Equalizer." Aside from that, I haven't given any thought to Adam Ant in years. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised at the concert, and if I don't like him, then I can just take off early and beat the rush out of that place.

John Battles said:

MikeL , YES , WE are getting old......SOME OF US. i SAW aDAM aNT , ONCE , 30 or 31 YEARS AGO , WHENEVER HIS FIRST SOLO LP CAME OUT......It was at a time that there were damn few all - ages shows. Some of my younger friends I knew from High School (I was just starting College.) wanted to go (I was still underage , too.). I've never owned one of his records , but , his early , Punk -era stuff has it's moments. I liKED THE TWO ANTS LPS (BARRING "dIRK wEARS wHITE sOCKS" , WHICH WAS ONLY AVAILABLE AS AN IMPORT.), but , enough of my friends had 'em , I did'nt have to buy them. I heard he was terrible when he played here a couple of years ago , but , you should'nt let that  prejudice you. He may have got himself together . Reportedly , he had issues with drink. What kind of person goes into a club in London , where only terrorists are allowed guns (Bad joke , sorry.), with a replica pistol in hand ? He seems like a troubled individual. I saw him on TV , PREPARINGTO PLAY A pUNK FEST , PUTTING TOGETHER AN ACTUAL PUNK BAND. It was'nt bad. In Britain , Adam Ant was not considered part of the underground. Adam was a Pop star. People thought he was Punk , like they thought Billy Idol was , in the states. But they both came out of Punk. I think Prima Donna and Cheap Trick would be a better match , too. Maybe Adam Ant wanted an opening ant that had nothing todo with what he does, and might light a fire under his ass. Bu t, who knows? 

I swear I meant to say "Opening act" !!!!!!

• June 5, 2013 9:33 AM CDT
    • My thing about Adam Ant is that I only know one song by him, "Goody Two Shoes," which was one of his few hits here in America. I remember the video, and I liked it mostly for Caroline Munro as the prim and proper reporter who becomes more uninhibited as the video goes on. I also remember Adam Ant playing a white slaver in an episode of "The Equalizer." Aside from that, I haven't given any thought to Adam Ant in years. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised at the concert, and if I don't like him, then I can just take off early and beat the rush out of that place.

John Battles said:

MikeL , YES , WE are getting old......SOME OF US. i SAW aDAM aNT , ONCE , 30 or 31 YEARS AGO , WHENEVER HIS FIRST SOLO LP CAME OUT......It was at a time that there were damn few all - ages shows. Some of my younger friends I knew from High School (I was just starting College.) wanted to go (I was still underage , too.). I've never owned one of his records , but , his early , Punk -era stuff has it's moments. I liKED THE TWO ANTS LPS (BARRING "dIRK wEARS wHITE sOCKS" , WHICH WAS ONLY AVAILABLE AS AN IMPORT.), but , enough of my friends had 'em , I did'nt have to buy them. I heard he was terrible when he played here a couple of years ago , but , you should'nt let that  prejudice you. He may have got himself together . Reportedly , he had issues with drink. What kind of person goes into a club in London , where only terrorists are allowed guns (Bad joke , sorry.), with a replica pistol in hand ? He seems like a troubled individual. I saw him on TV , PREPARINGTO PLAY A pUNK FEST , PUTTING TOGETHER AN ACTUAL PUNK BAND. It was'nt bad. In Britain , Adam Ant was not considered part of the underground. Adam was a Pop star. People thought he was Punk , like they thought Billy Idol was , in the states. But they both came out of Punk. I think Prima Donna and Cheap Trick would be a better match , too. Maybe Adam Ant wanted an opening ant that had nothing todo with what he does, and might light a fire under his ass. Bu t, who knows? 

• June 4, 2013 7:22 PM CDT
    • MikeL , YES , WE are getting old......SOME OF US. i SAW aDAM aNT , ONCE , 30 or 31 YEARS AGO , WHENEVER HIS FIRST SOLO LP CAME OUT......It was at a time that there were damn few all - ages shows. Some of my younger friends I knew from High School (I was just starting College.) wanted to go (I was still underage , too.). I've never owned one of his records , but , his early , Punk -era stuff has it's moments. I liKED THE TWO ANTS LPS (BARRING "dIRK wEARS wHITE sOCKS" , WHICH WAS ONLY AVAILABLE AS AN IMPORT.), but , enough of my friends had 'em , I did'nt have to buy them. I heard he was terrible when he played here a couple of years ago , but , you should'nt let that  prejudice you. He may have got himself together . Reportedly , he had issues with drink. What kind of person goes into a club in London , where only terrorists are allowed guns (Bad joke , sorry.), with a replica pistol in hand ? He seems like a troubled individual. I saw him on TV , PREPARINGTO PLAY A pUNK FEST , PUTTING TOGETHER AN ACTUAL PUNK BAND. It was'nt bad. In Britain , Adam Ant was not considered part of the underground. Adam was a Pop star. People thought he was Punk , like they thought Billy Idol was , in the states. But they both came out of Punk. I think Prima Donna and Cheap Trick would be a better match , too. Maybe Adam Ant wanted an opening ant that had nothing todo with what he does, and might light a fire under his ass. Bu t, who knows? 

• June 4, 2013 5:06 PM CDT
    • I would have to go see Adam Ant if he came around again; I blew him off a few years ago and I am sure I would have had a great time if I had gone that night.  

• June 4, 2013 2:32 PM CDT
    • Turns out I'm going to see Adam Ant a couple of days later at the same venue. When I first heard Adam Ant was coming to Pittsburgh, I toyed with the idea of going to see him, but then I heard about Cheap Trick, so I decided to see them instead. However, my favorite new band, Prima Donna, just announced that they will tour with Adam Ant, so I bought a ticket for that show too. Those two days will be full of firsts for me; going to see Cheap Trick and Adam Ant for the first time, going to Stage AE for the first time, and going to two somewhat major concerts within a couple of days of each other for the first time. I'm looking forward to Adam Ant, but I really wish Prima Donna were touring with Cheap Trick; I think those bands would complement each other well.

• June 5, 2013 9:10 AM CDT
    • The Trip! June 2nd! 

Hear Sweden's Skurkarna, Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs, a tribute to Ray Manzarek and tons more! 

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130602-0030-t13701...

SKURKARNA - THE STICKUP 
      SNUKY TATE - NEW TIME 
      DEATH - FREAKIN' OUT 
      THE DIRTBOMBS - PHANTOMS IN A LESSER CRYSTALLINE SPHERE 
      THE MALARIANS - GET OUT OF DALLAS 
      LORDS OF ALTAMONT - THE SPLIT 
      COMPULSIVE GAMBLERS - THE WAY I FEEL ABOUT YOU 
      RED ELVISES - I WANT TO SEE YOU BELLYDANCE 
      FANG - FUN WITH ACID 
      BILLY CHILDISH/ HOLLY GOLIGHTLY - MOVE ON UP 
      CAPS- RED HEADED FLEA 
      RAMONES - SITTING IN MY ROOM 
      SAM THE SHAM & THE PHAROHS - HAUNTED HOUSE 
      RICK & THE RAVENS- GERALDINE 
      RICK & THE RAVENS - SOUL TRAIN 
      X- SOUL KITCHEN 
      THE HENTCHMEN - TEENAGE LETTER 
      PLASTMATICS - MASTERPLAN 
      LAZY COWGIRLS - D.I.E. IN INDIANA 
      JAN DAVIS - WATUSI ZOMBIE 
      BO DIDDLEY - SHE'S FINE SHE'S MINE 
      THE EPICS - HUMPTY DUMPTY 
      THE ALARM CLOCKS - NO REASON TO COMPLAIN 
      THEE MIDNITERS- I FOUND A PEANUT 
      BOBBY FULLER - NERVOUS BREAKDOWN 
      THE STOOGES - PENETRATION 
      MYRIAM MARTIN - LE BLUE BEAT

• June 4, 2013 10:33 AM CDT
    • Playlist for 6/3/13

Joe Queer and the Nobodys “Walk Like An Egyptian”

Wooly Bullies “Weekend Warriors”

The Spits “Beat You Up”

Cell 609 “Re-Pulsion”

Electric Frankenstein “Get Off My Back”

The Artificial Limbs “Your Little Scene”

The Stop Clocks “Hot Box or Pop Rocks”

The Real Losers “Do The Jerk”

Village Pistols “Big Money”

The Bulemics “If I Only Had A Heart”

The Marked Men “What Can I Say”

Chinese “Lego Bunker”

Fire Exit “Time Wall”

Cheap Clone “Wouldn't Trade My Records For You”

The Ramones “Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment”

Cyanide “Your Old Man”

Toe Tag “House of Shame”

Hüsker Dü “Sorry Somehow”

The Hugh Beaumont Experience “Charity”

The Hugh Beaumont Experience “Money Means So Much To Me”

Candy Panic Attack “What's He Got That I Haven't?”

The Stuck-Ups “Juvenile”

Hermann's Orgie “Moderne Musik”

The Bulemics “If I Only Had A Heart”

Pierced Arrows “The Wait”

MC5 “Shakin' Street”

Mudhoney “I Like It Small”

Beat Beat Beat “Psycho”

X “Soul Kitchen”

Streetwalkin' Cheetahs “Motor City Rock and Roll”

The Flakes “Long Gone”

The Heartbreakers “Pirate Love”

LOCAL SIZZLER: The Hussy “Wrong Right (e.react Remix)”

Iggy and the Stooges “Burn”

The Saints “Nights In Venice”

Black Actress “Danger City Deadmen”

The Black Knots “Fire Away”

Radio Birdman “New Race”

Suzi Quatro “Shine My Machine”

Asteroid B-612 “Always Got Something to Lose”

Gonn “Blackout of Gretely”

B-Sides “Hey Mister”

Question Mark and The Mysterians “Girl”

The Stinkies “Booty Manipulator”

The Fuzztones “Bad News Travels Fast”

The Pretty Things “Come See Me”

Patti's Groove “It Won't Last Long”

The Lyres “Buried Alive”

Gino And The Goons “Hypnotic”

Bleed “The Goon”

The Silencers “The Man From F.U.Z.Z.”

We The People “You Burn Me Up and Down”

The Gore Gore Girls “Country Man”

The Coyotemen “Who Rattled Your Cage?”

Link Wray “Law of the Jungle”

The Dirtbombs “She Played Me Like a Booger”

The Drags “Dirty Little Bird”

The Psykicks “Once Upon A Time”

• June 3, 2013 8:59 PM CDT
    • YOU'RE NOT KIDDIN'....."FUTURE" WAS NEVER MY FAVORITE , THOUGH THERE WERE OBVIOUS STANDOUTS. WHEN THEY REMIXED TWO SONGS FOR THE "TRAVEL WITH YOUR MIND " SET, THEY WERE LIKE , FULL POTENTIAL REALIZED , SO , WHO KNOWS?

"RAW AND ALIVE" , OF COURSE , HAD THE AUDIENCE FROM A BEACH BOYS SHOW DUBBED IN (THAT'S THE URBAN LEGEND , ANYWAY.) DROWNING OUT THE GUITARS , ESPECIALLY , AND OTHER PARTS. FOR A BAND ON IT'S WAY OUT (IN THAT CONFIGURATION.) , THEY SURE COUGHED UP SOME GREAT NEW SONGS. WHICH OTHER SHOW DO YOU MEAN ? THE UNDUBBED FAN RECORDING FROM THAT TIME ? THEY  STILL HAD IT , AS A LIVE BAND , AND THAT RECORDING WILL PUT TO PAID ANY DOUBTS , BUT , IF THERE'S MORE , STILL , THIS IS AN EVEN BETTER TIME TO BE A SEEDS FAN. 

• June 3, 2013 7:35 PM CDT

• Jymn Parrett said:

Thank you. Half the tracks on Full Spoon have joined my playlist. I LOVE the sound of that album. WOS is a slight disappointment mostly because Tripmaker and Pictures and Designs are fantastic songs mixed badly.I believe Future will be the most revelatory IMH but Faw and Alive should kick some major ass - especially the other concert on the CD. Wow. Great time to be a Seeds fan. 

John Battles said:

Jymn , I did'nt know , before , that you wrote the "Web of Sound" review in Ugly Things. Good review.   I just saw it , yesterday . The mono mix is one Web of Sound you'll want to be mixed in. I like the mono "Full Spoon of Seedy Blues" , too .....you're right , it's an album that does'nt deserve the bad rep it has. First two are still my faves , but , I find myself liking "Full Spoon" more with each listen. Too bad no one will ever re-mix "Raw and Alive".......or will they ?

• June 3, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
    • Thank you. Half the tracks on Full Spoon have joined my playlist. I LOVE the sound of that album. WOS is a slight disappointment mostly because Tripmaker and Pictures and Designs are fantastic songs mixed badly.I believe Future will be the most retaliatory IMH but Faw and Alive should kick some major ass - especially the other concert on the CD. Wow. Great time to be a Seeds fan. 

John Battles said:

Jymn , I did'nt know , before , that you wrote the "Web of Sound" review in Ugly Things. Good review.   I just saw it , yesterday . The mono mix is one Web of Sound you'll want to be mixed in. I like the mono "Full Spoon of Seedy Blues" , too .....you're right , it's an album that does'nt deserve the bad rep it has. First two are still my faves , but , I find myself liking "Full Spoon" more with each listen. Too bad no one will ever re-mix "Raw and Alive".......or will they ?

• June 3, 2013 7:29 PM CDT
    • BTW, emails and tweets to Hoffman have gone unanswered.