Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 10, 2013 8:39 AM CDT

• Hey Gus, yeah it's been too long since I listened to Kick Out the Jams! That Seed album sound interesting too - so did they invite an audience into the studio, or overdub crowd noise afterwards? I'll have to find that album anyway..

Gus Ironside said:

Totally agree re Jerry Lee Live at The Star Club as top of the pile!
      The first half of the MC5's Kick Out The Jams is great, high-energy stuff.

Raw and Alive at Merlin's Music Box by The Seeds is also great, but is "live in the studio", so not a genuine live concert album!

The First and the Last by The New Race is just fantastic- Ron Asheton and Dr Deniz Tek on guitar, Machine-Gun Thompson on the traps, Warwick Gilbert on bass and Rob Younger on vox- total high energy meltdown!

• June 10, 2013 8:36 AM CDT
    • Cheers John, I'll have to check those out! I'd particularly love to hear that Little Richard live album - I'll look for those clips on YouTube too!

John Battles said:

"Jerry Lee Lewis Live at The Star Club is way the Hell up there , in my book."

"Little Richard , Live Paris 1966"  is UNFUCKINSANE !!!! It was a bootleg that came out in the late 80's. The performance , which screams (Like a White Lady) to be released on DVD , as the video portion has turned up on You Tube .

"Slade on Stage" - Their third and best live album. Fast and furious , makes me wanna wreck a room as readily as Little Richard on Specialty.

Black Oak Arkansas - "Raunch and Roll Live" (Expanded 2 Disc version on Rhino Handmade.). Jim Dandy's most scatterbrained stage patter (Except when compared to TODAY !) , AND THE BAND IS FIRING ON ALL 12 CYLINDERS.

• June 10, 2013 3:12 AM CDT
    • Totally agree re Jerry Lee Live at The Star Club as top of the pile!
      The first half of the MC5's Kick Out The Jams is great, high-energy stuff.

Raw and Alive at Merlin's Music Box by The Seeds is also great, but is "live in the studio", so not a genuine live concert album!

The First and the Last by The New Race is just fantastic- Ron Asheton and Dr Deniz Tek on guitar, Machine-Gun Thompson on the traps, Warwick Gilbert on bass and Rob Younger on vox- total high energy meltdown!

• June 10, 2013 2:08 AM CDT
    • "Jerry Lee Lewis Live at The Star Club is way the Hell up there , in my book."

"Little Richard , Live Paris 1966"  is UNFUCKINSANE !!!! It was a bootleg that came out in the late 80's. The performance , which screams (Like a White Lady) to be released on DVD , as the video portion has turned up on You Tube .

"Slade on Stage" - Their third and best live album. Fast and furious , makes me wanna wreck a room as readily as Little Richard on Specialty.

Black Oak Arkansas - "Raunch and Roll Live" (Expanded 2 Disc version on Rhino Handmade.). Jim Dandy's most scatterbrained stage patter (Except when compared to TODAY !) , AND THE BAND IS FIRING ON ALL 12 CYLINDERS.

• June 10, 2013 8:22 AM CDT
    • The online music streaming is gaining ground each day and the songs library of this services, like Spotify, is already huge.

I consider this one of the best news in musical industry since 10 years: the way to ear music online with good quality, at the right price and totally legal.

What do you think about?

There are some band who is take money from those services?

• June 10, 2013 3:51 AM CDT
    • Any garage rockers out there dig the great Jorge Ben? He's a big influence on my rhythm guitar playing...everything he recorded from 1963-1976 was genius!

• June 10, 2013 3:28 AM CDT
    • Lots of newer stuff too, like early White Fence and Ty Segall etc. But yeah, Randy Alvey and the Green Fuz were probably the first!

• June 10, 2013 3:25 AM CDT
    • RIP One Up- I travelled up from Montrose to Aberdeen when I was 16 and spent the wages from my summer job buying up a great haul of rock n roll vinyl from 1-UP. I got the Stooges' No Fun Elektra comp, Kick Out The Jams, New Values, Street Hassle, Legendary Hearts, Stone The Crows, tons of stuff- best ever day's vinyl-hunting! Still scour the second hand places in Glasgow, but it's becoming harder to avoid just hitting the internet. :(

Andy Climax said:

Hi Alex. The nearest record shop to me since the amazing One Up records in Aberdeen closed 3 months ago is 150 miles away. The situation for independant shops in Britain just now is dire and not gona get any better i fear. All the online stuff is the only way i can source stuff now. Nothing will ever beat the feeling of rifling through records and tapes and uncovering a gem or two. Unfortunately a 300 mile round journey is a treat these days rather than essential. Wot an absolute nitemare!!!

Alex said:

Look, I know I could find all of these records on Discogs, eBay, or Gemm pretty easily, but it's so much more rewarding to find them in person!  I was in Chicago last weekend and found M.O.T.O.'s "Turn Your Head and Cough."  It was pretty exciting.  Always love that moment.  Then when you continue to look through records at the store, you hoard it and make sure no one tries to steal it from you.

• June 9, 2013 2:09 PM CDT
    • My local record store picked up a massive punk and garage collection last year - apparently the stock of some defunct distributor, because most of the LPs were still sealed.  I was able to find lots of records I'd been wanting for years.  Thumbing through their collection was like being in rock n' roll Candyland.  The photo below represent just Round One of shopping last summer:

• June 10, 2013 1:56 AM CDT
    •  I agree. Adam had his moments , but , ANT RAP? He and Guitarist , Marco , were influenced by Glam , Gary Glitter in particular, that even shows on "Stand and Deliver(You Lupins or Your Life !)......

Ok , the worst Rap attempt or parody that comes to mind was The Chicago Bears' (Local) hit , "The Superbowl Shuffle"...

• June 9, 2013 7:15 AM CDT
    • I fkn love Adam and the Ants. Yep! even the Dandy Highwayman and Prince Charming periods. But this piece of shit just grates on every part of my soul. I can just imagine the conversation with the companies in his ' I am Adam Ant! I can do anything!' drug fuelled bullshit days. 'If Blondie can do it.... So can I! How hard can it be???' uuuurgh! Enjoy, haha

When compared to this. You'll see what I mean.

• June 9, 2013 1:19 AM CDT
    • The question came up about the worst , or least favorite,  Garage Rock tunes. It's hard for me  to say , because I love the original stuff so much.

Chocolate Watchband - "Gossamer Wings" . OK , not the worst by any means , but Ed Cobb took a great , experimental  track (Loose Lip Synch Ship) , overdubbed a subpar vocal by Don Bennett , and mixed The Watchband's original recording down , low.....

Shadows of Knight - "Gloria '69" Who was the genius that suggested the latter - day SOK do a patchwork version of their original recording , supplemented with new , heavier instrumentation? It just does'nt make sense , tho' it is kind of humorous. 

Hunger ! "Strictly From Hunger !" LP. It's not bad , IT JUST DOES'NT LIVE UP TO A REPUTATION THAT PRECEDES IT.......It's more Pop - Garage Rock , really.

I'LL THINK OF SOME OTHERS..............

• June 9, 2013 12:42 AM CDT
    • I'm a fan of all three , but , if any of us were to ostracize you (Or anyone , here.) for having an opinion , and not denying us our opinions , the right to agree or disagree , we'd be lowering ourselves to third grade you tube brawls , I think.

MikeL said:

I'll give you credit, that took courage to admit to this.

Lost Soul said:
      Well, hopefully I wont get ostracized for this but I don't like Elvis, The Clash or The Ramones. I think they're all a little bit boring. There. I said it.

• June 9, 2013 12:35 AM CDT
    • Andy Seven raised a good question , but , until I get to that, "Their Satanic Majesties " is a great album. Maybe an aquired taste , bu t, when I was in High School , "SGT. PEPPER' SEEMED LIKE A GATEWAY DRUG TO "SATANIC MAJESTIES". The Stones may not have related to the Psychedelic scene in Swinging London
      , but , they were willing to experiment. "Sgt. Pepper " sounds so premeditated , no chances taken , for an album recorded at the same time , and in the same building , as "Piper at The Gates of Dawn" and "S.F. Sorrow". 
      MikeL said:

I liked "She's a Rainbow." Yes, it's an oddity for the Rolling Stones, as was the rest of that album, but I still like it.

Johnny Quid said:
      not garage punk per se but still from bands i'm sure you all love:
      she's like a rainbow - stones
      obla dee obla da - beatles
      lola - kinks

i'm sorry but these songs suck cock BIG TIME!!!

Andy Seven said:
      Okay, you guys, this is getting a little too easy. Yeah, Bee Gees suck, Van Halen sucks, so what? What Garage/Punk classics do you NOT like? I want to hear what "beloved" garage-punk songs do you actually hate hearing?

• June 9, 2013 12:28 AM CDT
    • "You Beat The Hell Out of Me " is  great Pub Rocker.

The Fnords said:

That'll be The Motors, then.... I always quite liked them. D.

fazer said:
      Airport - by a band i cant remember the name of, i cant stand this record .

• June 9, 2013 12:25 AM CDT
    • MikeL , WE DISCUSSED THIS BEFORE, BUT , FROM THE AGE OF 9 or 10 , I heard KISS emanating from my Brothers' rooms (Tho' NEVER on the radio.) , and it was cool to them , so , it had to be cool to me. We all went and saw them in 1976 , about a month shy of my 12th birthday , and it was a great time ,  but, in a couple of years , they were  LESS than uncool.
       Bob Seger opened for Kiss , when he was on the verge of not rockin', but , still doing what he wanted , for the moment...... Listen to "Live Bullet" , then listen to "Kiss Alive II" , and you'll see why Seger got kicked off the KISS tour . BECAUSE HE WAS BLOWING THEM OFF THE STAGE ! But soon, it was lame ballads , "Against TheWind' , "We Got Tonight", "Beautiful Loser" ,  ETC. , TO SAY NOTHING OF HIS WEAK LATER ROCKERS.  "OLD TIME ROCK'N'ROLL" , "FIRE DOWN BELOW" , "WATCH HER STRUT", ETC. THIS was the man who gave us "Heavy Music" , "East Side Story" , "Get Out of Denver" , "Ramblin' ,Gamblin' Man", etc. ?
      MikeL said:

I still have a soft spot for KISS.  You have to keep in mind that I was in elementary school during their 70s heyday, and I loved their Marvel Comics image.  They were the first band that I ever got into.

Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I can easily understand why so many people hated them so much musically.  At their absolute best, they were just below mediocre.  They had a few moments of genius, but that was it.

Still, I love watching live clips of them on youtube, because they were fun, if nothing else.

Johnny Bean said:

1. Seasons in the sun - Terry Jacks

2. Ive never been to me ?

3. The birdie song ?

4. Everything by Phil Collins

5. Everything by Madonna

6. Slayer, Death Metal all other soulless testosterone cocksucker horseshit

7. GG Allen - so bad he falls off the bottom end of this list

8. Al Jarreau

9. Neil Sedaka (im old enough to have been annoyed by my parent playing his "music")

10. Kiss

but the worst song in the histoy of the world is Streets Of Love by The Rolling Stones, its so bad that I fall into a coma wet my pants and then cant stop laughing for at least half an hour.

• June 9, 2013 12:10 AM CDT
    •  I dunno , they're telling us anyone can get THE AIDS , and it's true . It does'nt discriminate. But , it turns out , at least half the original Village People were Straight. They were a concept , built from the Manhattan Gay Disco scene , it's true. But , I read even the late Glenn Hughes (The Leatherman , not the later Deep Purple Bassist .) was Straight.

MikeL said:

Again, another guilty pleasure. And I'm glad the Village People didn't all succumb to the scourge of AIDS.

sleazy said:
      Y.M.C.A. ......................I don't even wanna dirty my mind with the title of that HIGHLY crappy band!!!
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.
      Y.M.C.A.

• June 9, 2013 12:05 AM CDT
    • Jimmy Buffett.....sold out Wrigley Field , once. Don't shoot teh messenger , I did'nt understand it , either. Seek out David Allen Coes "Jimmy Bufet" song ( He intentionally spelled it wrong , I guess , for fear of legal repurcussions. He manages to EFFECTIVELY say , OK , YOU DID SOME GOOD SHIT , IN MY OPINION , BUT , i'm real and you're FAKE.

Ryan Katastrophe said:

Awww man I love Snoop Dogg. The man can do no wrong in my eyes. Let's talk about some songs I hate.

1. The Youngbloods - Get Together This hippy piece of shit makes my blood boil.
      2. Jimmy Buffet - Margaritaville If someone can tell me how so many people enjoy such a turd of a song, I'm all ears.
      3. Anything by Toby Keith, man that guy is a douche.

• June 8, 2013 8:13 PM CDT
    • Status Quo  covered "Don't Bring Me Down" , but , maybe you knew that.

OK , I'm extremely late to the party , but, we should get this shit going again , it's hilarious ! We all love to talk about the songs we hate.....Only 10? Hmmmmm . Well.... 

1. David Geddes - "Run ,Joey , Run". OK , I have a love/hate thing going with this song. It's wretched , and , yet , it makes me laugh.

2.Michael Jackson -"Human Nature". Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy !!!!

3. Kajagoogoo - "Too Shy" . Like Duran Duran only WORSE? Yes , it really happened.

4. Jim Stafford - "My Girl , Bill".    Stafford actually cut some good sides , but, this is ONE OF the worst hit records The 70's produced. At least , before Disco.

5. Jefferson Starship - "Miracles".  There's a reference to cunnilingus , IF you can make it that far , without leaving the room while this song is playing.

6. Smashing Pumpkins - "Today is The Greatest Day"  . I KNOW , TOO EASY A TARGET. But , if you'd lived in Chicago and had to put up with then , pre and post - fame. Yeesh !

7. Loverboy - "Turn Me Loose" .   I really thought it was Donna Summer when I first heard it.

8. Hear'n'Aid (No , wait , that was a similar project...) - "Sport Alive". Possibly one of the worst all star chorus charity records , and that's with members of Motorhead , Slade , Girlschool and (Later) Sweet. They meant well. It was a rare anti - Soccer (Football) violence record (Barring The Geezers' "Welcome Soccer Hooligans" , celebrating The World Cup in Chicago , I have'nt heard any others.).

9. Leif Garrett - "I Was Made For Dancing" - No , your pathetic ass was made for humiliating your remaining fans on Television.

10. Rolling Stones - "Emotional Rescue" , "Dance pts. 1 and 2." , "Disco Miss You". I love cheese and ain't no rat. I love The Stones , but NOT LIKE THAT !   (Yes , they've done worse.) ......

kelly alvarez said:

ELO Don't Bring Me Down?!?! are you nuts?!?! that song RULES. it kinda reminds me of boogie-era Status Quo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phil Collins and Michael McDonald's voices makes me want to stab people, but my least favorite song of all time is DANCE WITH ME by ORLEANS ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 10, 2013 1:48 AM CDT
    • Yeah , I would have liked to have scored that 10" , too. Do the versions differ from the ones on teh CD? i WAS JUST GLAD THE MGM SINGLES WERE FINALLY RE- ISSUED WITH GOOD SOUND. I'd like to see a reissue of the final Seeds single "You Took Me By SURPRISE" B/S "Shuckin' and Jivin'", purists be damned.

• June 8, 2013 5:38 PM CDT
    • Big Beat/Ace in the UK has a 45 issue out now of an unedited version of the Seeds "Pushin Too Hard" that isn't on their new re-issue CDs, plus a flip with an alt take of "Girl I Want You" that is on the debut album re-issue CD.

Has anyone here heard the un-edited "Pushin' Too Hard" from this 45? Cost for the new 45 is @15 (plus shipping from the UK -- I think Big Beat is the only place to get the 45?), so just wondering if it is worth the bother and expense!

Big Beat's RSD Seeds 10" from last year was relay fab -- so glad I scored one of those!

• June 9, 2013 2:03 PM CDT
    • new fuzzcast up

this is a live mix taken from the boards, no microphone yet...

http://djdrfuzz.podomatic.com/entry/2013-06-09T08_00_03-07_00

Guinea Worms – Soiled Sender 
      Patsy Cline – Thats how Heartaches Begin 
      Slug Guts – Moving Heart 
      Hank Williams JR – Country Music in my Soul 
      The Ballon Farm - ? of Temperance 
      Bobby Mac + The Rythm Aces – Hey Mr. DJ 
      Minnie Epperson – Grab your Clothes 
      Traditional Fools – Davey Crockett 
      Roky Erickson – Mine Mine Mind 
      Buster Brown – Sugar Babe 
      T-Rex – Ride the White Swan 
      Reatards – Blew my Mind 
      The Trashmen – Surfin Bird 
      The Doors – Soul Kitchen 
      Mudhoney – No One Has 
      George Jones – If Drinking Don't Kill Me 
      Bar-Kays – Knucklehead 
      Ray Charles – What I'd Say 
      Nobunny – I am a Girlfriend 
      Aaron Neville – Lets Live 
      Johnny Cash – Big River 
      Gary Stiles – Shine that Ring 
      Thee Oh Sees – Contraption 
      Fats Domino – I'm Ready

• June 9, 2013 7:03 AM CDT
    • This is lovely. A few years old but Takako is a real Maverick when it comes to music, culture and influence. Enjoy

• June 8, 2013 4:54 PM CDT
    • Lenny should compile a follow-up compilation album to Nuggets with these bands as well.

• June 8, 2013 2:17 PM CDT
    • PORK #11 IS OUT NOW!!!

WITH KEITH MORRIS. SHANNON AND THE CLAMS. DR. DEMENTO. DARREN MERINUK. JOSE GABRIEL ANGELES. JORDAN SPEER. OTTO SPLOTCH. DENNIS DREAD.