Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 11, 2013 12:44 AM CDT
    • "The Weight" , The Band. OK , I'm White , and I can actually remember a little bit about The 60's. I automatically have to like The Band? I've always found their sound constipated , built around songs that never get off the ground , particularly "The Weight". For this , they became a top - drawing act. It did'nt hurt them that they'd been Dylan's band , and , before that , Ronnie Hawkins' band (With whom they actually rocked.).BUT......Don't get it.

I'd be hard pressed to name my least favorite Grateful Dead song , probably "Uncle Jon's Band". It's the same syndrome. Somehow , Unpsychedelic music made them kingpins of the whole scene. Deadhead elitists in my neighborhood would tell me how great it is , live......IF you take acid. If it were really Psych , you would'nt need acid.    JOHN.

• June 11, 2013 12:33 AM CDT
    • Had this conversation in High School - "You think our parents hate the stuff we listen to" (Actually , my Mom's always been pretty open - minded about music . She can sense quality where others would'nt.), "But , can you imagine what OUR kids will be listening to?". Well , I don't have any kids , so , I don't know the first two songs you mentioned....But, disposable trends that insult the intelligence of young people will always be around. Hopefully , they'll  grow out of it. I only really listened to Classical , twice. Once , when I was trying to impress a girl in High School  (Huge waste of time.) , and , later , in College , when it helped me fall asleep after doing assignments all or most of the night.
      zacharythax said:

My kids have been driving me nuts with "Everybody Talks" and the XX "I Watch Things on my VCR....." To be fair they also listen to the Kinks and the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack with the Black Lips, so there's still hope. I catch them listening to classical music on Spotify when they're alone, though. What's wrong with kids these days?!

• June 10, 2013 2:13 PM CDT
    • all that annoying top 100 pop crap. I don't feel like naming the worst

• June 10, 2013 1:24 PM CDT
    • My kids have been driving me nuts with "Everybody Talks" and the XX "I Watch Things on my VCR....." To be fair they also listen to the Kinks and the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack with the Black Lips, so there's still hope. I catch them listening to classical music on Spotify when they're alone, though. What's wrong with kids these days?!

• June 10, 2013 10:13 PM CDT
    • 06:04PM Jack Jimmy Hoodlums “Loose Power”

06:08PM The Titans “13 Women”

06:12PM The Leaders “Bad News”

06:14PM Ed Nasty and the Dopeds “I'm Gonna Be Everything”

06:18PM The U-Men “Dig It A Hole”

06:21PM Tampax “U.F.O Dictator (Bonus Track Taken from the Split HitlerSS/Tampax 7" May ‘79)”

06:24PM The Bobbyteens “Baby Runaround”

06:26PM The Distractors “Tycoon of a Bad Attitude”

06:31PM The Slobs “Kill Kill Cool”

06:33PM Filmstrip Renegades “Don't You Know It's Over Now”

06:35PM Sweet J.A.P. “You Know Reno”

06:38PM The Absentees “Tryin' To Mess With Me”

06:41PM The Ramones “Loudmouth”

06:41PM The Real Losers “Bad Girl Cheap Fun”

06:45PM The Cigarettes “They're Back Again”

06:51PM The Pist'uns “Out With The Tide”

06:53PM The Nasties “Time to Loose”

06:56PM Bill Collectors “Never Satisfied”

06:59PM The Functional Blackouts “Raw Dawg, Raw Deal”

07:03PM Rose Tattoo “The Butcher and Fast Eddy”

07:11PM Superchrist “James Dean's Car (Black Widow)”

07:12PM Black Actress “Too Fast”

07:17PM Guitar Wolf “Wild Restaurant”

07:21PM Motorhead “Orgasmatron”

07:25PM The Hot Dogs “The Return Of Hankie”

07:32PM LOCAL SIZZLER:  Bleed “Speed Kills”

07:34PM The Runaways “Blackmail”

07:37PM Radio Birdman “You're Gonna Miss Me”

07:40PM The Necessary Evils “Drag Pow Wow Drag”

07:42PM The Alchemysts “Black Hole Kickout”

07:51PM Thee Michelle Gun Elephant “Smokin' Billy”

07:54PM Sonic's Rendezvous Band “Asteroid B-612 (Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, 1978)”

08:03PM The Moving Sidewalks “99th Floor”

08:05PM The Lyres “Don't Give It Up Now”

08:08PM Girl Trouble “My Hometown”

08:12PM The Tropics “As Time's Gone”

08:17PM The Nomads “Can't Keep a Bad Man Down”

08:20PM The Jades “Surfin' Crow”

08:22PM The Chesterfield Kings “Trippin' Through Tomorrow”

08:24PM The Satelliters “Outta Here”

08:27PM The Customs “Let's Get It On”

08:32PM The Oblivians “Motorcycle Leather Boy”

08:34PM The Oblivians “Back Street Hangout”

08:36PM The Oblivians “Let Him Try”

08:39PM The Oblivians “Jim Cole”

08:39PM The Oblivians “Mad Lover”

08:42PM The Oblivians “Woke Up In a Police Car”

08:46PM The Oblivians “No Butter for My Bread”

08:48PM The Oblivians “Feel All Right”

08:51PM The Oblivians “Run For Cover”

08:53PM The Oblivians “Oh How To Do Now”

08:56PM The Oblivians “Strong Come On”

08:57PM The Oblivians “Sunday You Need Love”

• June 10, 2013 8:39 PM CDT
    • Yeah , I heard there was such a version , but , I've never actually heard it , so , the new 45 may be a first.

• June 10, 2013 3:28 PM CDT
    • I'm not sure if all the tracks from the 10" are on the current CD-re-issues. The 10" is one of the coolest re-issues I've ever seen, though!

The unedited version of "Pushin Too Hard" is only on the 45, I think -- it has an extra verse compared to the released 1966 45...

• June 10, 2013 8:35 PM CDT
    • SURPRISINGLY , OUT OF THE 3 New Race Live Lps I KNOW OF (tHE OTHER TWO WERE ON REVENGE.), AND THE RADIO BIRDMAN bootlegs ("Eureka" would be the best if the sound was'nt for shit.), it's the "Ritualism" live reunion album (1996?) THAT REALLY DELIVERS THE GOODS . Not knocking the others , but , I was amazed how foaming -at - the - mouth PISSED they sound , almost 20 years after the fact.

James Brown's "Pure Dynamite" IS savage , but , what about the Mother of ALL live albums , "Live and Lowdown at The Apollo.". I'M ALSO A BIG FAN OF THE (VERY EARLY ) 70's JBs (Bootsey and Catfish Collins , Fred Wesley , etc.)live LPs "Revolution of The Mind" and " Love Power Peace".

OF COURSE ,"kICK oUT tHE JAMS" rates right up there. "BORDERLINE" AND "STARSHIP"still threaten to break the sound barrier....

Ramones - It's Alive (And it's a no - brainer.). Runner up - Cambridge Mass. 1976 (Bootleg).

Creation - Live, Mean Fiddler ('94?).

Electric Prunes - Stockholm '67 (AND THEY SAID IT WAS AN OFF NIGHT !!!!).

Roky Erickson - Casting The Runes , Halloween (Live With The Explosives).

Roky Erickson and The Nervebreakers , Live , DALLAS , 1979. 

Heartbreakers - D.T.K. Live at The Speakeasy.

Elvis - Live, Pearl Harbor Memorial Benefit , Hawaii , 1961. This is how it should have gone down. Elvis , flanked by Scotty Moore , D.J. Fonatana , The Jordanaires  , Hank Garland and even Boots Randolph , performing his best sides from the mid to late 50's , and even "That's All Right , Mama" and "Reconsider , Baby". He sounds confident and cocky as Hell , like he would return to the mainland and go from strength to strength as a live act. Instead , he was chained to a movie contract.

ROIR cassettes section - Dictators- "Fuck'em if They Can't Take a Joke", ? and The Mysterians- "The Dallas Tapes , The Arcadia Theatre , 1984 (Though I remember it being 1985...) , Johnny Thunders - "Stations of The Cross''.

• June 10, 2013 7:58 PM CDT
    • I always read that that was a tape taken of the audience at a Beach Boys show (AND PROBABLY A FEW YEARS EARLIER.). There's a bootleg of a Seeds club show from the same period ('68.) , with a lot of the same songs , and it KILLS.

Gus Ironside said:

Overdubbed it,  Ben...made it sound like they were at Shea Stadium!

Ben E said:

Hey Gus, yeah it's been too long since I listened to Kick Out the Jams! That Seed album sound interesting too - so did they invite an audience into the studio, or overdub crowd noise afterwards? I'll have to find that album anyway..

Gus Ironside said:

Totally agree re Jerry Lee Live at The Star Club as top of the pile!
      The first half of the MC5's Kick Out The Jams is great, high-energy stuff.

Raw and Alive at Merlin's Music Box by The Seeds is also great, but is "live in the studio", so not a genuine live concert album!

The First and the Last by The New Race is just fantastic- Ron Asheton and Dr Deniz Tek on guitar, Machine-Gun Thompson on the traps, Warwick Gilbert on bass and Rob Younger on vox- total high energy meltdown!

• June 10, 2013 3:37 PM CDT
    • Haha! No, I think I'll stick with my album, thanks all the same! Bought it for £2.50 in Rockpile, Dundee (Scotland) circa '88. ;)

Jane Dear said:

Wanna trade?! ;)

Gus Ironside said:

Found it! It's called Live! 78!
      http://www.limbos.org/lyres/lyres-dmz.htm

• June 10, 2013 3:36 PM CDT
    • You're absolutely, positively right...the band sounds like a total piece of shit, and that is where its charm comes from:) If I had paid money to go see the Stooges that night, I'm sure I would have left feeling really pissed at how poorly they played, not to mention all the chaos that went on that night. It's about as wild and crazy as a live album can get.

Gus Ironside said:

Mikel, I know a lot of Stooges' fans dig Metallic KO (and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool damaged-for-life-by-Funhouse, card-carrying Stooges obsessive!), but for me the band are not at their best musically on that album- they're in a really bad way and I find the album very, very sad.  But having said that, it is a truly debauched, unique document and certainly qualifies as being wild and crazy! ;)

• June 10, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
    • Mikel, I know a lot of Stooges' fans dig Metallic KO (and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool damaged-for-life-by-Funhouse, card-carrying Stooges obsessive!), but for me the band are not at their best musically on that album- they're in a really bad way and I find the album very, very sad.  But having said that, it is a truly debauched, unique document and certainly qualifies as being wild and crazy! ;)

• June 10, 2013 3:24 PM CDT
    • How about "Metallic KO" by Iggy and the Stooges:) Gotta love Iggy egging on those bikers.

• June 10, 2013 3:24 PM CDT
    • Found it! It's called Live! 78!
      http://www.limbos.org/lyres/lyres-dmz.htm

Jane Dear said:

This is the one I have, vinyl as well. Great stuff. The only real difference between their live and studio recordings are that you can actually hear the party going on in the background. 

http://www.discogs.com/DMZ-Live-At-The-Rat/release/3242759

Gus Ironside said:

I've got a DMZ Live!!! vinyl record- really good- don't know if that's the same one as Live at the Rat?

Jane Dear said:

DMZ - Live at the Rat makes me reallllllllly hate being born so late. 

• June 10, 2013 3:21 PM CDT
    • Interesting...my album must be a bootleg, can't find any official record of it! Must dig it out and scan it in. :)

• June 10, 2013 10:36 AM CDT
    • This is the one I have, vinyl as well. Great stuff. The only real difference between their live and studio recordings are that you can actually hear the party going on in the background. 

http://www.discogs.com/DMZ-Live-At-The-Rat/release/3242759

Gus Ironside said:

I've got a DMZ Live!!! vinyl record- really good- don't know if that's the same one as Live at the Rat?

Jane Dear said:

• June 10, 2013 10:33 AM CDT
    • I've got a DMZ Live!!! vinyl record- really good- don't know if that's the same one as Live at the Rat?

Jane Dear said:

• June 10, 2013 10:32 AM CDT
    • Overdubbed it,  Ben...made it sound like they were at Shea Stadium!

Ben E said:

Hey Gus, yeah it's been too long since I listened to Kick Out the Jams! That Seed album sound interesting too - so did they invite an audience into the studio, or overdub crowd noise afterwards? I'll have to find that album anyway..

Gus Ironside said:

Totally agree re Jerry Lee Live at The Star Club as top of the pile!
      The first half of the MC5's Kick Out The Jams is great, high-energy stuff.

Raw and Alive at Merlin's Music Box by The Seeds is also great, but is "live in the studio", so not a genuine live concert album!

The First and the Last by The New Race is just fantastic- Ron Asheton and Dr Deniz Tek on guitar, Machine-Gun Thompson on the traps, Warwick Gilbert on bass and Rob Younger on vox- total high energy meltdown!

• June 10, 2013 8:48 AM CDT
    • DMZ - Live at the Rat makes me reallllllllly hate being born so late. 

• June 10, 2013 7:14 PM CDT
    • You can find it on youtube!

• June 10, 2013 3:08 PM CDT
    • It's super vague. According to Spotify (on their US website that is) they say:

Spotify pays out the majority (approaching 70%) of ALL of our revenue (advertising and subscription fees) to rights holders: artists, labels, publishers, and performing rights societies...Spotify has direct agreements with record labels, digital distributors, aggregators and publisher collecting societies, to whom we regularly pay royalties, and who then pay recording artists and songwriters according to their specific contractual agreements...we recommend that artists reach out to their distributors to better understand the specific economics that apply to them...In general, however, Spotify pays royalties in relation to an artist's popularity on the service. For example, we will pay out approximately 2% of our gross royalties for an artist whose music represents approximately 2% of what our users stream. A popular song or album can generate far more revenue for an artist over time than it historically would have from upfront unit sales.

It is what it is.

Re: Bandcamp, most checkout plugins/softwares are equipped with the technical/legal/privacy stuff involved with online transactions. It's cool to have a streamlined service like that, but I've yet to hear of it being any band's major source of sales.

• June 10, 2013 2:49 PM CDT
    • Ha ha ha...so the truth is that evry ply in Spotify or similar give more money to Spotify hitself than to the artist and editors right?

• June 10, 2013 1:42 PM CDT
    • I like Bandcamp as a service...the ability to easily set up a name-your-own-price download, group tracks into albums and include non music content like sleeve liners, posters and videos and stuff is really great...We have not used their service for physical merch, but it looks equally well designed.....and don't forget they deal with all the legal crap......if you are selling stuff to people you will wind up with confidential information like credit card details and bank account numbers, you then have to keep that information safe.....if you use bandcamp they deal with all that for you....plus your buyers can use PayPal if they want....I know I would like that if I was buying a download from some band I didn't know...also, your buyers can also choose the format of their download, so if they want (say) AAC rather than MP3, they can have it...

As to making money?........I might soon be able to buy another set of strings....

• June 10, 2013 9:29 AM CDT
    • It's kind of a double edged sword in some ways. My Spotify subscription basically serves as a way to listen to almost anything in the background while I'm at work sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours and I don't feel like carrying a box of tapes, cds, and records back and forth, but it's nowhere near a replacement for actually owning music.

I don't think anyone besides Spotify is making much money off Spotify alone. Different labels have different deals worked out for payouts per play and from what I understand, it's really low.

A couple months ago, one of my friend's bands was on Bandcamps "Top selling new releases of the week" list with only 10 sales. I don't know just how many "new releases" get uploaded a week on Bandcamp, but I imagine it's a LOT. A whopping 10 sales doesn't scream "top new release" to me, but it says a lot about how much people just listen to free stuff and how many actually buy it.