Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 14, 2013 12:05 AM CDT
    • We had a similar show in Seattle that was called, for some reason, "Electric Lunch" which from 1982-1986 featured a lot of the harder 60s stuff like you mentioned but also the hard 1965-1967 British songs.  Everything was basic stuff though, but you didn't hear a lot of these songs during the rest of the day.  This was on the rock station.  By 1987, they started to drop all that and play album tracks from late 60s and early 70s albums (rock oriented) and I quit listening to that station.  That host moved to a classic rock station and hosts a Saturday morning show which combines Nuggets, psychedelic rock and British Rock 1964-1968.  It's alright, but it isn't the same magic that it was in the early 80s.

• June 13, 2013 11:37 PM CDT
    • For me  , it was hearing "I Had Too Much To Dream" , "Psychotic Reaction" , "Pushin' Too Hard" and, especially , "Talk Talk". The Rock station in Dallas had a lunchtime show called "Psychedelic Brunch" in or around 1980. They'd play those "Nuggets " Punk  hits on that show , when no one else would. I was a Sophmore or a Junior in High School. They would'nt let you leave campus for lunch hour until you were a Senior. But , my Art Teacher was pretty cool , she'd let us have our lunch in art class , and leave us the Hell alone. I knew about those songs , but , that's where I heard them , originally.  This was also around the time I started hearing latter - day Punk for the first time. "Dirty Water" , I did'nt hear til later , and "96 Tears" , believe it or not , took me a while to warm up to , but , when I did , I love(d) it. The fact that Kenny and The Kasuals were playing locally kind of bridges the gap, tho' I never saw them until about 2005. I was surprised to find out how Punk Rock "My Little Red Book" sounded, as I'd read how Love was this band The Doors looked up to (As well they should have.). Somehow , I expected them to sound more sophisticated (Which they did , later.).

• June 13, 2013 11:23 PM CDT
    • yeah , "Surfin' Bird" broke my brain as a wee small lad. But , that was in '75 or '76. Too soon for me to see the relation to Punk.

Edroth said:

When I think about it, the first 'garage' tune that got me onto rock'n'roll in general is Surfin' bird by the thrashmen. I heard it when I was 6 or 7, it was on a k-tel 'silly' songs comp. It was craazzzzy! Still my fav tune of all time! Then, I was a metal head for a looong time. The record that made me sell ALL my metal cd's (200 +) is 'Never been caught' by the Mummies. That record changed my life. period.

• June 13, 2013 11:47 PM CDT
    • I think Fritz Krieg is a pretty good name. Better than Rik Mayall , anyway.

• June 13, 2013 11:19 PM CDT
    • Actually , Stiv (Or Steven) Bators was his real name. He shortened it to "Bator" , possibly for legal reasons. Adny Shernoff , Stu-Boy King , and Ross"The Boss" Funicello are good ones , too. Lot of talk about The Damned - there was also Algy Ward , Lu , and even Lemmy (Who played in the short - lived Damned offshoot , The Doomed.). Best Ramones name - Elvis Ramone (Clem Burke.). THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF DR. FEELGOOD CHANGED THEIR NAMES , BECAUSE THEIR REAL FIRST NAMES WERE ALL "JOHN". Wayne Kramer and Rob Tyner are/were not their real names.

MikeL said:

Johnny Thunders, Iggy Pop, Stiv Bators, Johnny Rotten, Sid Vicious, Richard Hell, Handsome Dick Manitoba, all of the Ramones.

• June 13, 2013 10:59 PM CDT
    • OH , YEAH ,THEN , THERE'S POPE  ,  AND JIM NABORS (BUT , THOSE ARE THEIR REAL NAMES !).

John Battles said:

Other Dallas Punk Psuedonyms : Barry Kooda , Matt Spleen , Joe Christ , Platinum Paul , Johnny Chaos , K.Y. , Ann Atomic , Buck Naked , Bosco , Chit Cherie , Rockabilly Rob , Cap'n Brewkid (Of the original Shitty Beatles.) , Daze , Art Marvel , Homer Henderson , oh....there's others. BTW , not all these people fell under the banner of "Punk" , especially Buck Naked.

Play Pinball! Records said:

Mike/Mite Vomit
      Bobby Soxx

• June 13, 2013 10:50 PM CDT
    • I thought it was even funnier , when I first saw his picture , in 1977 , it read " Dave "Transyl" Vanian.". For years , adopting a psuedonym was not an option when joining The Cramps. I did'nt even think Bryan Gregory was his real name ! Now ,I've forgotten if it was , or not. Julien Griensnatch , apparently , was her real name.....but that was just too good.

BonzoB said:

Dave Vanian always makes me smile, along with Chuck Wagon, and another vote for Kid Congo Powers way past cool!

• June 13, 2013 10:44 PM CDT
    • Other Dallas Punk Psuedonyms : Barry Kooda , Matt Spleen , Joe Christ , Platinum Paul , Johnny Chaos , K.Y. , Ann Atomic , Buck Naked , Bosco , Chit Cherie , Rockabilly Rob , Cap'n Brewkid (Of the original Shitty Beatles.) , Daze , Art Marvel , Homer Henderson , oh....there's others. BTW , not all these people fell under the banner of "Punk" , especially Buck Naked.

Play Pinball! Records said:

Mike/Mite Vomit
      Bobby Soxx

• June 13, 2013 10:32 PM CDT
    • Not to be anal retentive or nuthin' , but Elvis Hitler was the band's name. I forget the singer /Guitarists' name. Dean , or something.

Flamin Cowbells said:

Elvis Hitler
      Dr Scatology(early Dwarves)
      Handsome Dick Manitoba(Dictators)
      Monoman(Lyres)

• June 13, 2013 10:56 PM CDT
    • Madonna covered "American Pie"? Thank Christ that escaped my radar.

BUT ! I'D LIKE TO SEE MADONNA COVERED IN AMERICAN PIE.....THEN I'D SAY "RELEASE THE RED ANTS !!!!!".

Pete Sottrel said:

Aww, c'mon!  Great comments, but the world would be a much poorer place without those three.  The Charlene and Sarstedt numbers provide great (and hilarious) insight into the megalamaniac workings of the songwriter's tortured artistic soul, while American Pie is, um, er, just totally ace (must be, otherwise Madonna would never have covered it, would she?).

Ms Springolator said:

I've Never Been to Me - Charlene. Personally I really wish she'd never been to a recording studio.

American Pie - Don McLean. If all was right with the world, he would have drove his Chevy to the levy, accelerated off the edge and then sunk to the bottom of some fathomless depth of water, where neither he nor his horrendous song would be heard again.

Where Do You Go to My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt. The song makes me vomit, and that's comment enough.

• June 13, 2013 10:05 PM CDT
    • Hotel Cal is the worse...AAAARRRRGGG!

• June 13, 2013 10:04 PM CDT
    • mostly all you named !!! 

• June 13, 2013 5:06 PM CDT
    • It's OK, monkey-star, I'm not really sad.  I do love Black Flag (and The Smiths!), but I also love the way that folk are slating stuff that they don't like in this thread, perversely!

As you can see by the list of songs that I hate (the most recent one must be about 1989!), the time when I felt strong enough negative passion towards bad music has long since gone, though I can recall clearly enough feeling the badness!

You're quite right, it's not a crime to hate Black Flag and/or their songs, but I do find it hard to understand; for me, they were one of those bands that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I first heard them (especially "Thirsty and Miserable" off of Damaged).  But hey! Talking about bands that I love is massively Off Topic in a "hate" thread!  Sorry.

Even if those youngsters who wear the shirt haven't heard the band, it's a bit disappointing but...what a great logo, and what brilliant artwork!!  Who wouldn't want to wear it?

monkey-star said:

Pete Sottrel said:

This can't be coincidence.  Axel, you and monkey-star know me and just want to pull apart the very fibre of my being today, don't you?  Otherwise how to explain that The Smiths and Black Flag have been nominated in such cruel terms?!

Hey,Pete,maybe it`s my fault that you`ve become sad - i should write more attentively=)Maybe you like Black Flag music,you`re interested in the history of the band and some facts about it,ok,i don`t mind.But if i don`t like their music at all - is it a crime?And i really haven`t meant that i don`t like Black Flag songs only because of their fans and t-shirts=)Pete,what do you think about the young girls and boys,who`ve just listened three or five songs of the band,though there are another good albums,watched a couple of videoclips or even don`t know this band at all - are they really the fans of this band or who are they??

• June 13, 2013 4:46 PM CDT

• Pete Sottrel said:

This can't be coincidence.  Axel, you and monkey-star know me and just want to pull apart the very fibre of my being today, don't you?  Otherwise how to explain that The Smiths and Black Flag have been nominated in such cruel terms?!

Hey,Pete,maybe it`s my fault that you`ve become sad - i should write more attentively=)Maybe you like Black Flag music,you`re interested in the history of the band and some facts about it,ok,i don`t mind.But if i don`t like their music at all - is it a crime?And i really haven`t meant that i don`t like Black Flag songs only because of their fans and t-shirts=)Pete,what do you think about the young girls and boys,who`ve just listened three or five songs of the band,though there are another good albums,watched a couple of videoclips or even don`t know this band at all - are they really the fans of this band or who are they??

• June 13, 2013 4:25 PM CDT
    • How about:

1) U2 - Bloody Sunday. Bloody awful bloke skipping around a stadium stage in soft pixie boots and a rubbish mullet, more like.

2) Simple Minds - Belfast Child. When will the Belfast child sing again?  When he/she has finally gotten rid of the memory of the crocodile tears shed by this bunch of pompous money grubbers, that's when.

3) The Alarm - 68 Guns. Stop it.

4) The Levellers - Beautiful Day.  How can it be when these Luddites are blighting our earholes with their olde English folk-punk crap?

5) New Model Army - anything.

6) The Farm - All Together Now.  Sums up the spirit of the times.

7) Wings - Mull of Kintyre.  Took over the charts for years in Britain. Popped the wrong mop top, indeed.

8) Brotherhood of Man - Save Your Kisses For Me.  How did this quasi-paedo rubbish get past the Quasi-Paedo Censorship Office?

9) St Winifred's School Choir - Grandma.

10) Kermit The Frog - Halfway Down The Stairs.  Why did the world need this song, then?

• June 13, 2013 3:49 PM CDT
    • This can't be coincidence.  Axel, you and monkey-star know me and just want to pull apart the very fibre of my being today, don't you?  Otherwise how to explain that The Smiths and Black Flag have been nominated in such cruel terms?!

Axel Björnsson said:

nobody has mention the worst band of all time.

The Smiths. fuck them

• June 13, 2013 3:44 PM CDT

• Axel Björnsson said:

Are you a retard?

monkey-star said:

6)All of the Black Flag songs.Young retards dressed in their t-shirts and stupid fans have crowded the Moscow streets.

And you??I haven`t meant that i don`t like Black Flag songs only because of their fans and "young reatards dressed in their t-shirts".It`s not the reason,really.And be more polite,ok

• June 13, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
    • Are you a retard?

monkey-star said:

6)All of the Black Flag songs.Young retards dressed in their t-shirts and stupid fans have crowded the Moscow streets.

• June 13, 2013 3:27 PM CDT
    • nobody has mention the worst band of all time.

The Smiths. fuck them

• June 13, 2013 2:52 PM CDT
    • Crumbs, I half wish I hadn't stumbled across this thread, swathed as it is in relentless bitter bile.  The other half of me, of course, just can't look away.

Black Flag; I can understand how Rollins can be extremely irritating with his smug media-friendly bonhomie and poor attempts at stand-up comedy, these days, but the band itself and the songs themselves?  They just rip apart er, things that are tricky to rip apart like, er things made of metal and er, stone.  Who cares if anybody/nobody/everybody is wearing their T-shirts?  Even if it is on the streets of Moscow (does it clash with the general colour scheme?).

monkey-star said:

1)Ty Segall - The Drag.It has been played almost in every rock music podcast,radio station,public pages for a billion times and when i just hear the first notes of this song,i wanna barf.
      2)All of the Radiohead songs.
      3)Weezer - Believer.Seems,that everyone in your office have downloaded it as a ringtone on their phones.
      4)Velvet Underground - After Hours.Toooo boring.
      5)Nirvana - In Bloom.
      7)Ramones - Pet Semetary.
      8)Fifty Foot Hose - Bad Trip.Maybe i don`t understand anything in psychedelic rock,but it`s not even a song,this is a combination of horrible sounds and noises,i can`t stand it!
      9)The Red Krayola - Leejol.
      10)Executers - Put Yourself In.

• June 13, 2013 2:34 PM CDT
    • 1)Ty Segall - The Drag.It has been played almost in every rock music podcast,radio station,public pages for a billion times and when i just hear the first notes of this song,i wanna barf.
      2)All of the Radiohead songs.
      3)Weezer - Believer.Seems,that everyone in your office have downloaded it as a ringtone on their phones.
      4)Velvet Underground - After Hours.Toooo boring.
      5)Nirvana - In Bloom.
      7)Ramones - Pet Semetary.
      8)Fifty Foot Hose - Bad Trip.Maybe i don`t understand anything in psychedelic rock,but it`s not even a song,this is a combination of horrible sounds and noises,i can`t stand it!
      9)The Red Krayola - Leejol.
      10)Executers - Put Yourself In.

• June 13, 2013 7:39 AM CDT
    • Aww, c'mon!  Great comments, but the world would be a much poorer place without those three.  The Charlene and Sarstedt numbers provide great (and hilarious) insight into the megalamaniac workings of the songwriter's tortured artistic soul, while American Pie is, um, er, just totally ace (must be, otherwise Madonna would never have covered it, would she?).

Ms Springolator said:

I've Never Been to Me - Charlene. Personally I really wish she'd never been to a recording studio.

American Pie - Don McLean. If all was right with the world, he would have drove his Chevy to the levy, accelerated off the edge and then sunk to the bottom of some fathomless depth of water, where neither he nor his horrendous song would be heard again.

Where Do You Go to My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt. The song makes me vomit, and that's comment enough.

• June 13, 2013 10:11 PM CDT
    • I LIKE "Live at The Okeh Club" , but mainly for the stage raps . I just like the "Live Paris " Boot, because there's NO Soul sensibilities , NO SENSE OF CONTROL WHATSOEVER !!!!!

IT's arguably wilder than the original Specialty sides....

THE BAND (AMAZINGLY , THE WALKER BROS.' backing band , The Quotations. Not Status Quo , BTW.)  is Ramones - tuff , Ramones fast , and Richard is screamin' his big ol' HEAD off. iT WAS ABOUT TWO YEARS TOO LATE FOR ALAN FREED TO SAY IT , BUT....THIS...IS ROCK'N'ROLL !!!!!!!

Speaking of the TRUE Mr. Rock'n'Roll , if you liked those Blue Caps Freed sides (And who would'nt?), look for Gene Vincent and The Blue Caps "Big D archives". It's got some ace live stuff with The Blue Caps." Smell of Female" is my favorite official Cramps live product ,it's only an EP. tHERE'S NOT A DAMN THING WRONG WITH "Rockinreelininaucklandnewzealand" , BUT , SURE , i'D LIKE TO SEE SOME GOOD LIVE STUFF SEE A LEGIT RELEASE , OTHERWISE. The "Live CBGB '78" on Medicine is terriffic , but , it was a limited release....I'm hard - pressed to name my favorite bootleg . Probably Hot Club , Pittsburg , 1978 (?) , Voodoo Idols '81 (Only known live version of "Fever" and Lux's only reported flirtation with politics on a whackjob "She Said") , Live Club 81 , NY , 1979 , Live Tut's Chicago (Two'fer , on cassette only. The Chicago show is rare in that it had Julien Griensnatch onGuitar. The Club 81 show was recently released on a very nice 2 LP  set.), Indianapolis , 81 (?) - THE AUDIENCE IS REALLY INTO IT ON THIS ONE....HUMAN FLY - LISTED AS 1981 , WITH A FEW SONGS FROM THE SECOND LP , BUT IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE BRYAN GREGORY TO ME , I DUNNO......THE VENUE , ITALY. RARE "LOUIE LOUIE"AND "Hurricane Fighter Plane".

I like Slade Alive! , but , not as much as most people. So many covers. They were'nt out of that bag , yet , doing current cover songs....And they had'nt hit on Jane ,Crazee , Noize , ETC. There's some live CDs of 72 -3 shows that KILL !  

• June 13, 2013 1:50 PM CDT
    • Little Richard at the Okeh club

it's alive Ramones

Smell of female Cramps

Slade live (the first one)

Bootleg with Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps doing Hound dog and Bebop alula Alan Freed show

• June 13, 2013 1:31 PM CDT
    • As I recall, that is "live" in the studio and produced by Kurt Bloch of the Fastbacks. The two live ones I know of are "Live at the Revolver" & "No Requests Tonight". "No Requests" is not nearly as clean sounding as the "Revolver" LP but much more raw and fun in my opinion, but I was at that one so I may be a bit biased.

Pete Sottrel said:

I've always loved The Devil Dogs' "Saturday Night Fever"; am I right in remembering that this is a live album, or was it just recorded "as live" in the studio?  It sounds live, and is totally thrilling.