Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 23, 2013 12:31 AM CDT
    • I'm not sure if these guys have been posted already, but I CANNOT stop listening to this... I just fell in love with them today.  KADAVAR: Forgotten Past

They're touring over there, but sadly :-( ....not here.

• May 22, 2013 9:55 PM CDT
    • I think it's all up to you, I can't imagine changing what I like and the way I am just because I'm certain age. But I'll definitely stop moshing at some point. I don't think it'd be safe for my grandfather to jump in a mosh pit.

• May 22, 2013 2:17 AM CDT
    • THERE'S A PRETTY GOOD DOCUMENTARY , MIKE , ON PRE - PUNK UK YOUTH CULTS - TEDS , MODS , SKINHEADS AND SOUL BOYS. DID'NT SEE THE WHOLE THING. BUT THEY INTERVIEWED TEDS WHO ARE PROBABLY IN THEIR 60'S , THEY REFUSED TO CHANGE. IF THEY HAD KIDS , THEIR KIDS WERE BROUGHT UP AS TEDS. IT IS'NT JUST THEM , BUT MODS, FR'INSTANCE , SEEMS THEY DID A FADE BY 1966 , BUT , THEN YOU HAD THE UK PSYCH SCENE , WHICH , IN PART , WAS AN EXTENSION OF MOD. MOD DID'NT SEEM TO HAVE A GOOD SIZE REVIVAL TIL THE JAM (TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION , I'D SAY THEY WERE MODERN DAY - MOD. WELLER CONSCIOUSLY WENT THRU MOST OF THE CHANGES THE MOD BANDS OF THE 60'S DID .), PURPLE HEARTS , SECRET AFFAIR ,etc.  Here in Chicago , they'd do Mod nights , but almost exclusively play Northern Soul , which , as a movement , did'nt take off til the early 70's, even if the records , of course , were  earlier . Sorry , could'nt hang with that stuff.       Most Skinheads I've seen around , sure , they looked like they shaved their heads. It was ritual , I think. But , I know a guy who shaved his head , because he liked to. He got jumped , and clobbered , because he was mistaken for a Neo - Nazi Skinhead , when he was'nt a Skinhead at all. Now , shaving your head is trendy. It does'nt signify anything , unless , I guess , you dress in such a way that there'd be no mistaking who you are......

I don't know , I think you should do what feels natural. I wear some kinds of things I wore 30 years ago , and somethat I've just taken a liking to,more recently. I've had Europeans tell me I look like a Ted , which is cool. I like the music  and the trappings (Except the violence  , tho' I'm  told that is'nt a big deal , anyore.) , but Teds are a British phenomenon that made it's way across Europe , just like Mods. They're not ours. America never had an equivalent. But , if people like it , and want to surround themselves with whatever comes with it , that's their call. I had an English friend tell me Britain is "The Land of Rockabilly." . I told him , no , it still came from the US. But , England , Germany , France , Scandanavia , and more recently , Eastern Europe , and other countries , picked up the ball when interest began to wane , back home. It's more popular here , now , but  so much of it is LAME (not all of it.).

• May 21, 2013 10:54 AM CDT
    • I first read this thread a few of days ago but had to wait to contribute, sadly that means I'm repeating everyone, however... The sad fact is Rockabilly, Mod, Skinheads, Northern Soul, Punk or whatever, where started by kids, for kids and are youth cults. A lot of those kids were into it as a fashion or a fad and quickly 'grew out of it'. I've known kids starting out as Punks, then Mod, then Skin etc until finally 'becoming normal'.

As adults we are under a lot of pressure to act our age, from bosses, wives or friends. What does act our age mean? dress like our Parents / Grandparents? Go to a Gig, Dance, allnighter or Weekender containing music from any 50's-80's genre and you'll see a few 'normals' reliving their past but the vast majority are late 40's early 50's dressed in all the gear, having the time of their lives. Of course some of us, compromise and dress the part, so there's no mistaking what music - cult we still belong to, but without all the trappings. Jeans, Leathers, 40's, 50's or 60's suits but not the drapes, studs, patches or parkas. When was the last time you saw a Skinhead who wasn't naturally bald? For me, I grow old, I refuse to grow up, if growing up means dressing like a 50 year old direct from SAGA or from one of those cheap catalogues. What are you rebelling against? What have you got?

• May 19, 2013 11:22 AM CDT
    • The older I get the less of a fuck I give & the more Rock&Roll speaks to me.

• May 22, 2013 2:45 PM CDT
    • STOKED! JUST BOUGHT A RECORD I'VE BEEN AFTER FOR 32 YEARS.

I was searching on everyone's favourite auction site for any decent records and found this.

The Who : dogs / someone's coming ( Polydor 1968 ) superb.

I never thought I'd find it.

What records if any are you searching in vain for?

• May 22, 2013 10:01 AM CDT
    • The Trip! May 12th Show! 
      Listen here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130512-0030-t1368315000.mp3

The setlist: 

COUNT FIVE - OUT IN THE STREET 

THE CHANTELS - WELL I TOLD YOU 
      THE SOCIETY - NICOTINE FIT 
      JOE JOHNSON - THE GILA MONSTER 
      GLENN GARRISON- THE BALLAD OF HANK GORDON 
      THE NEANDERTHALS - WEREWOLF FROM OUTER SPACE 
      MASTERS APPRENTICES-  BURIED AND DEAD 

ROY HARRIS-  COME ON LITTLE MAMA 
      JOHNNY THUNDERS-  BLAME IT ON MOM 

THE KINKS-  MINDLESS CHILD OF MOTHERHOOD 
      BO DIDDLEY-  LOOK AT GRANDMA 
      MEMPHIS MINNIE - MA RAINEY 

BLACK MERDA - THE FOLKS FROM MOTHERS MIXER
      FUNKADELIC - COSMIC SLOP 
      LORD SITAR - HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER 
      EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING- HEY MUM 
      CRYSTAL BRIGHT & THE SILVER HANDS - ESPECIALLY YOUR MOTHER 
      JOE WILLIAMS - SUGAR MAMA 
      LAIKA & THE COSMONAUTS-  MARY'S THEME 
      THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS-  SHE TOLD ME LIES 
      THE MISUNDERSTOOD-  CHILDREN OF THE SUN 
      KIM FOWLEY - HUMAN BEING BLUES 
      THE BUZZCOCKS - NOSTALGIA 
      THE MONKS - COMPLICATION 

DANIELLE DENIN- QUAND TU M'EMBRASSES 

• May 22, 2013 1:54 AM CDT
    • It's pretty funny that the band , The Raped , got in so much trouble for the PEDOPHILIA song (Us yanks don't spell it with and "a" .) , as they were all teens , maybe one or two , even younger . They were reputedly Britain's youngest Punk band , even younger than Eater ! Or , close..... A friend of mine did a search for three bands -  MAN , THE BOYS , AND LOVE. He said "You'll never guess what came up ! ' . I said "Yes I will , NAMBLA !!" . HE SAID , "HOW DID YOU KNOW?" I SAID , "iT'S SO OBVIOUS !!!!".

Good call on the Ramones songs. I was once told "Suzy is a Headbanger" was sexist because a "Headbanger" was supposed to be someone who gives good head. I never heard that , again.. To me , it always meant someone into Heavy Metal or Punk (The term used to apply to both.).

Mike M said:

Well, I've just read this whole thread and didn't know half the songs mentioned. However I've a few to add.

The Leather Nun FFA Can't get much more un PC than Gay Fist Fucking.

http://youtu.be/Wvq_Hbf9vys

Then There's the old punk group 'Raped' singing Pretty Paedophiles, I was searching on you tube for that and found these. I'm not even going to look at...

The Paedophiles I wanna Rape You

The White Van Paedophiles- Little Injun Boy Rape

Jeez.

• May 21, 2013 12:38 PM CDT
    • Then on safer ground there's the Ramones.

You're Gonna Kill That Girl

Gimme Gimme Shock Treament

Cretin Hop

Pinhead

Teenage Labotomy

That's just off the 1st LP that came to hand!

• May 21, 2013 12:27 PM CDT
    • Well, I've just read this whole thread and didn't know half the songs mentioned. However I've a few to add.

The Leather Nun FFA Can't get much more un PC than Gay Fist Fucking.

http://youtu.be/Wvq_Hbf9vys

Then There's the old punk group 'Raped' singing Pretty Paedophiles, I was searching on you tube for that and found these. I'm not even going to look at...

The Paedophiles I wanna Rape You

The White Van Paedophiles- Little Injun Boy Rape

Jeez.

• May 20, 2013 9:10 PM CDT
    • Yeah , Johnny , I DID , BUT I FORGOT WHAT I SAID....I remembered reading some of the lyrics when "..."And You Suck" came out , and wondering how long they'd last before some Radical Feminists set their practice space on fire ! But , a lot of things have been taken so seriously. Before those guys , you had The Child Molesters, Angry Samoans and Fear , pushing the anti- PC envelope in L.A.  Some people even think Fear's segment in "Decline" was real , when even the audience /band baiting was DUBBED !
      Johnny Lurg said:

Speaking of vegans, has anybody mentioned the Meatmen yet?

• May 20, 2013 8:35 PM CDT
    • Speaking of vegans, has anybody mentioned the Meatmen yet?

• May 21, 2013 1:19 PM CDT
    • Hi, I surfed in off someones blog and I'm so glad I did, since I've been waiting to be validated I've read loads and the amount of new sounds I've discovered has virtually overwhelmed me. 50 years old Geordie living in the Scottish Borders.

I started my musical journey as a young lad listening to Glam Rock and Rock 'n' Roll around 1976 after seeing Carl Perkins and Bo Diddley in Newcastle, I started going to a monthly Rock N Roll Club in Durham and loved it. The atmosphere was exciting and scary. Then Punk came along and swept through my school. I started going to Punk Concerts and a group I really liked The Jam wore suits, so 'Jam Fans copied' I got a Jam Suit, Jam Shoes and though still a Punk, I suppose I was becoming a fledgling Mod. A couple of years later the Mod revival came along, and I got swept along. This opened up a whole new musical world to me. R&B, Northern Soul, Beat Groups, Ska, Bluebeat, Garage, Psych...

So here I am, a Punky Mod at heart, though you'd be hard pressed to pigeon hole me now, who doesn't have any narrow musical disabilities. If I like it I don't care if I'm not supposed to.

Here's to this site and the next link to a band I've never heard before. Cheers.

• May 21, 2013 11:03 AM CDT
    • Setting Sons by the Jam (punk?) started as a concept as did Siouxsie & the Banshees Join Hands...

• May 19, 2013 11:18 AM CDT
    • The English Subhumans did a couple of concept type records. "From the Cradle to the Grave" tells the story of being born & trapped in the system & it's basically one long song. 

• May 20, 2013 9:48 PM CDT
    • PLAYLIST FOR 5/20/13.  SKATEBOARD MIX DURING THE FIRST HOUR.

06:03PM Dead Kennedys “Chemical Warfare”

06:05PM Dr. Know “SAVIOR”

06:06PM JFA “Great Equalizer”

06:08PM Bad Religion “Bad Religion”

06:10PM The Circle Jerks “Deny Everything”

06:11PM Plan 9 “War Of The Worlds”

06:12PM Modern Warfare “ONE FOR ALL”

06:19PM The Dwarves “Downey Jr.”

06:20PM Dead Kennedys “California Uber Alles”

06:22PM Pezz “Pimp Caesar”

06:25PM McRad “Prevent This Tragedy”

06:28PM White Flag “Celabate”

06:31PM Sacred Order “The Right To Be Poor and Radical”

06:31PM Venomous “The Lottery”

06:33PM Sin 34 “Not No Fun”

06:36PM Big Boys “LESSON”

06:36PM The Minutemen “Party With Me Punker”

06:37PM Anvil Chorus “Blue Flames”

06:45PM Minus-One “The Kids Don't Skate Here”

06:47PM Stalag 13 “SELFISH”

06:48PM Genocide “Peggy's Got A Problem”

06:49PM Disastroid “THREE STRIKES”

06:52PM Noise God “She Had No Shadow”

06:53PM Gang Green “LAST CHANCE”

06:56PM Adrenalin O.D. “World War 4”

07:00PM The Dictators “Fireman's Friend”

07:06PM Cheap Time “People Talk”

07:09PM Jon Spencer Blues Explosion “Shirt Jac Train #3”

07:11PM Musclecar “You Got It, I Want It”

07:17PM Bitchschool “Runaways In the Night”

07:20PM New York Dolls “Human Being”

07:24PM The Coma-Tones “Drive Around My Head”

07:32PM Die Kreuzen “So Many TImes”

07:36PM The Coltranes “Fur”

07:39PM JONES CRUSHER “Mamasita”

07:41PM The Saints “Lost And Found”

07:50PM Trunk Dog “Safe Not Sorry”

07:50PM Asteroid B-612 “Straight Back To You”

07:54PM Clone Defects “Shapes of Venus”

07:57PM Radio Birdman “Non-Stop Girls”

08:02PM Link Wray & The Raymen “The Sweeper”

08:05PM 60's Second Swingers “Let Me Down”

08:06PM The Insomniacs “Don't Turn Away”

08:10PM Kempy & the Guardians “Love for a Price”

08:11PM Kid Congo & the Pink Monkey Birds “LSDC”

08:18PM Danny and the Darleans “Don't Ask the Question”

08:21PM Gino And The Goons “Gotta Getaway”

08:24PM Eddie and the Showmen “Squad Car”

08:30PM King Sound Quartet “Annihilate This Week”

08:30PM Flamin' Groovies “Comin' After Me”

08:34PM The Hook Up “Minstrel Boy”

08:37PM Thee Headcoatees “Davey Crockett”

08:39PM The Chargers “TAXI”

08:45PM The Dirtbombs “No Expectations”

08:50PM The Silencers “6 & 7 is...”

08:54PM The Creepy Creeps “C.C.M.C.”

08:58PM The Mono Men “Hate Your Way”

• May 20, 2013 7:24 PM CDT
    • He sure did. Of course , so did Judge Rhinehart (sic) , Jennifer Jason Leigh , and , briefly , anyway , Phoebe Cates. I still love that movie. I did'nt go see it when it came out , because it looked so stupid. I did'nt realize  that , besides being pretty fuckin' funny , it dealt with some REALITIES , like teen pregnancy , abortion , go - nowhere jobs , and the illusion that High School is where life peaks .

"The fun's got to stop? I'm wondering when the fun's going to BEGIN !". Judge.

MikeL said:

Sean Penn did pretty well for himself after playing the stoner dude in that movie:)

John Battles said:

Cheap Trick WERE yesterday's news by 1982 , unless you lived in Chicagoland or Rockford , I guess. They still sold records , just not as many , and they played smaller halls , I guess , than before. But , bands were forgotten a lot quicker, in those days. Who knew or cared where Kiss or Aerosmith were in 1982? They were around , Ted Nugent was around , but , it'd be years before their megabucks comebacks.     Sorry....to answer your question....I remember "Pink Lady and Jeff".I watched all those Summer Replacement , or planned obsolescence TV shows , back then. The show was criticized for excessive Asian jokes. I don't remember , but , I think a friend gave me a tape with one or two episodes on it , but I only ever watched the Lancelot Link reruns on the same tape , more than once. Pink Lady had an album out on the US market. After the show tanked ,  I think they went back to Japan , and did well , there , for a few years. Jeff was the White guy. He stayed here.

Yeah , whatshisname in "Fast Times ". What a TOOL , but , capable of getting your trust. We all knew guys like that. I never saw him in anything else again. It's too bad , he was actually pretty good.

• May 20, 2013 10:32 AM CDT
    • Sean Penn did pretty well for himself after playing the stoner dude in that movie:)

John Battles said:

Cheap Trick WERE yesterday's news by 1982 , unless you lived in Chicagoland or Rockford , I guess. They still sold records , just not as many , and they played smaller halls , I guess , than before. But , bands were forgotten a lot quicker, in those days. Who knew or cared where Kiss or Aerosmith were in 1982? They were around , Ted Nugent was around , but , it'd be years before their megabucks comebacks.     Sorry....to answer your question....I remember "Pink Lady and Jeff".I watched all those Summer Replacement , or planned obsolescence TV shows , back then. The show was criticized for excessive Asian jokes. I don't remember , but , I think a friend gave me a tape with one or two episodes on it , but I only ever watched the Lancelot Link reruns on the same tape , more than once. Pink Lady had an album out on the US market. After the show tanked ,  I think they went back to Japan , and did well , there , for a few years. Jeff was the White guy. He stayed here.

Yeah , whatshisname in "Fast Times ". What a TOOL , but , capable of getting your trust. We all knew guys like that. I never saw him in anything else again. It's too bad , he was actually pretty good.

• May 20, 2013 5:45 AM CDT
    • I just put D'addario Flatwounds Chromes SS on my Squier jaguar SS and it's sound very good. They are low but still got treble.

A very good bass, easy to play, made to rock, good choice !

• May 19, 2013 10:29 PM CDT
    • Bonniwell Music Machine - Take Time Out For a Daydream. A rare Pop - oriented song by the late , great Sean Bonniwell , but , an effective one.

• May 19, 2013 10:25 PM CDT
    • The Low Numbers - Try It (Standells) . This was a VERY early Punk Rock Joke band , on Rhino.   So bad , it's passable , but, i TAKE IT THEY WERE NEVER A REAL BAND. In their liner notes , the Guitarist said he holds the title to the name "Johnny Thunder'' as that was his real name ,  and Johnny Thunders was'nt The Dolls/Heartbreakers' Guitarist's real name , it was Johnny Gonzales (Genzale. Close.). Never mind they already had a Johnny Thunder ("Loop De Loop".) . When asked their opinion on The Ramones , they said "We don't like Disco.". That's worse than what Crime said about them.

Try it (Standells' own remake , ca. 1987. Reportedly just as bad.).

Did'ja know there was a Chocolate Watchband in England , and a Velvet Underground in Australia , in the 60s? Where I COME FROM , THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT.

• May 19, 2013 1:58 AM CDT
    • Probably for the better.

John Battles said:

NO , I THINK IT'S FUNNY. Don't feel you're being mean. I still don't know who the Hell she is.

• May 19, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
    • NAUGHT TO DO WITH SXSW , BUT , I THINK "HEY HAMBURGER PIMP" MIGHT BE THE BEST NAME ON THIS THING , TO DATE.

"Well...If it is'nt my old friend , The Hamburger Pimp."

"Man , you better watch who you fuckin' with. I'm so bad , I gotta kick my OWN ass twice a day !".

• May 19, 2013 12:04 PM CDT
    • I do a radio show in Canada. I named my show after the Cavemen's hit B Side It' Trash!

Was wondering if there was anyway i could contact the members?

Recorded a single on 'Chelle Records ( PH 148) in 1966 with A side the Pillow Bit.  Would like to get a interview with them.

On discogs it refers to the song being Written By – A. Johnson, B. Jabour, T. Rey

Engineered by Steve Kimball.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/its.trash/

• May 19, 2013 11:54 AM CDT
    • King Khan just sent me this great piece about the first time he met Jay Reatard. I guess there's a Jay Reatard documentary coming out. King Khan is making movies. Here's the piece.