Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 14, 2013 10:57 PM CDT
    • Yes , the first time I saw Patti , she did this. She did'nt change it much , but ,I thought , WHY?  But , she went on about how great Jerry Garcia was.......OK , EACH TO HIS OWN , BUT , I THOUGHT THAT WAS A WORSE OFFENSE....And my neighborhood was densely populated by Grunge Rockers and Dead Heads in the 90's , so , there was a LOT of body odor action goin' down . Smells like Teens refusing to bathe.

Tersicore said:

I love Patty Smith but i can´t cope with her version of Smells like teen Spirit. 
      Too lame for my liking

• April 14, 2013 10:54 PM CDT
    • ALISON , THIS IS AN ACTUAL QUOTE I PUT UP EARLIER - "SOMEONE SENT ME A TALKING HEADS TAPE. IT'S HARD TO LISTEN TO.".  ROKY ERICKSON. 

THE TIME WAS RIPE FOR A NEW VERSION , BUT , NOT BY THEM !!!! YEUGH!!! YOUR ASSESSMENT SURE NAILED IT ON THE HEAD.

• April 14, 2013 8:26 PM CDT
    • "Uh...let's just remove every visceral element of excitement and sex from the greatest garage song of all time and see what happens..."

• April 14, 2013 5:25 PM CDT
    • I personally think anything by The Fuzztones is just awful.

• April 14, 2013 7:05 AM CDT
    • I love Patty Smith but i can´t cope with her version of Smells like teen Spirit. 
      Too lame for my liking

• April 14, 2013 2:34 AM CDT
    • This is hard to beat. A Hi-NRG take on The Seeds' Pushin' Too Hard.

• April 12, 2013 1:13 PM CDT
    • UBER-LAME - The Thought - "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night"

Echo and The Bunnymen - "Action Woman"

Flaming Lips - ''Strychnine"

Smashmouth - "Can't Get Enough of You , Baby"

The Seclusions' LP ( If not for the Disco beats , it'd be all right. But , as I                        was told , here , earlier ,  IT WAS CONCIEVED AS A JOKE .)

About 90% of both Roky Erickson tribute albums.

• April 14, 2013 7:47 PM CDT
    • Syd Barrett coloring book?  Awesomely and appropriately trippy.  Last year I got the less appropriately but equally trippy Buck Owens original 1970 coloring book.  It was a record store day exclusive.  It has been hard to resist coloring in it, but I framed it and hung it on the wall instead.  Doesn't seem to be anything nearly as cool being released at record store day this year...

• April 14, 2013 2:47 PM CDT
    • let's not forget Day Train by Sandy Nelson for Drug Train ;)

• April 14, 2013 8:19 AM CDT
    • found 2 minutes ago. Feckin lovely!"

• April 14, 2013 2:22 AM CDT
    • As promised:

Nelson was able to point the group in one direction: that of film and video. He invited The Go-Betweens to create a TV commercial for Nelson’s record shop, the Toowong Music Centre. Nelson, an ardent Dylan fan – he even wrote to RAM in 1978, defending Dylan from a hostile critic – came up with the idea of recreating the “Subterranean Homesick Blues” sequence from D.A. Pennebaker’s 1965 Dylan documentary, Don’t Look Back. The image of Dylan, in an alley, holding up signs displaying key words from the song has been influential ever since the film was released. Brisbane cineaste and director Robin Gold, who was present at the shooting of the commercial, believes that no one involved has actually seen Don’t Look Back, and that they had only heard of he scene. Damien Nelson’s father funded the commercial, which was made in black and white (in the face of heavy opposition from technicians and television stations in what were the early days of Australian color television).

The group recorded the backing music in a studio in Indooroopilly. When they arrived for the session, Forster and McLennan assured Nelson they had the song ready. Then he remembers, “they disappeared for about five minutes. And I know now what they were doing – they were writing it. And they recorded it!”

Forster sang the song, which opened with some alarming nonsense of “Some glass camels don’t even run / Some poor witch and her revolving gun / Shifts down, runs down, in her fur gown.” But he only appeared briefly in the commercial, which featured McLennan holding up handwritten signs featuring the words WHO?/GETS/ONE/DOLLAR/OFF/ALL RECORDS AT/TOOWONG MUSIC/NOW/EVERYBODY/EVERY/BODY. The visuals and music were not synchronized, so – unlike the original ‘Subterranean Homesick Blues” clip – the music was merely a surreal backdrop to the visual quote.

NELSON: We got a film guy, Jan Murray, and he did it in an alleyway one morning. It looked fantastic. It’s a real lost classic.*

You see Robert Forster at the beginning. First shot, Robert pokes his head round the alleyway. The final shot is of Grant walking – high shot from above – over “Toowong Music,” the letters put on the ground.

McLennan’s memory of the commercial is not dissimilar, though it contains more vomiting:

McLENNAN: I was sick as a dog that day. I’d been up all night. We shot it in this alleyway next to the Black Cat, which was a little cafe then. I think McDonald’s is there now. But there was this great laneway, very much like the start of Don’t Look Back, and I had this houndstooth double-breasted kind of Dylan suit that a friend of mine used to wear in the 1960s – she got it out of mothballs. I thought I was Bob Dylan. I felt as sick as Bob Dylan on that ’66 tour. We shot it early in the morning before people went to work, and Damien’s sister, Theresa was there. Damien was there, Robert was there, I was there, Robin [Gold] was there. All I remember was getting sick and getting in the car and vomiting all the way to Bardon.

The advertisement was shown at least once, possibly twice, on late-night television in Brisbane. “My parents never saw it, thank God,” says Nelson. “I’m sure if Dad had seen it he’d have hit the roof!”

*It’s not that lost. The ad has been located by Fiona Dempster for her documentary.

The Go-Betweens, David Nichols, Verse Chorus Press, Portland USA, 2003, pp 67-69.

• April 13, 2013 8:40 AM CDT
    • I can't see why they wouldn't record it as an actual song and release it, despite it being for a commercial, they have to know the song kicked ass. So why not record a full length version and release it as a single, or on an LP? It's got a TOTAL Velvet Underground influence to it, that's for sure.

• April 12, 2013 6:07 PM CDT
    • so little of a slice of a song. it's a very early track. probably on ABLE records? there is a double LP comp of early Go-Bees (before they ventured to England), that you may be able to find the track on. check Amazon or Ebay for it. good luck...

• April 12, 2013 1:14 PM CDT
    • DAMN IT! Hahaha. I'd love to see the page, thank you!

• April 12, 2013 1:13 PM CDT
    • That's possible, which makes this search even more difficult. I emailed the group asking them, so I'll hopefully be hearing back. Plus I asked Henry Weld over at Collectorscum being as he's from Australia and is very knowledgeable with Aussie and NZ Punk Rock. If I do find out, I'll let ya know, unless someone else on here cracks it first! This has been bothering me for YEARS, I've seen the docu before I saw it on YouTube and I've been wondering since.

• April 12, 2013 1:08 PM CDT
    • You're not going to like this. It's a television commercial they recorded for a record shop - The Toowong Music Centre, Nelson. It's on page 67 of the David Nichols Go-Betweens book. It was a song they appear to have made up on the spot. I'll transcribe the page if you're interested.

• April 12, 2013 1:02 PM CDT
    • Ooh, interesting. It's nothing I recognise. I've had a quick scoot through the 78-79 lost album and the extras on the Send Me A Lullaby set and it's not on there. I'm wondering if it's Robert Forster (it is him, isn't it?) guest-fronting another band?

• April 13, 2013 7:33 PM CDT
    • I didn't realize there was even a censored version of "Some Girls." I'm curious as to what they changed the offending lyrics to.

• April 13, 2013 10:50 AM CDT
    • 1966, period.

• April 12, 2013 5:15 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist April 11/13

Back after a week away due to illness and this was some of the show that would have aired one week prior.

1. Manitoba....The Party Starts Now...from their....And Now CD. Manitoba comes to London Apr 18th at Call The Office...first night of 3 Canadian shows.

2. Suckerpunch...Cheetah Drive...from the Dead On The Road compilation CD on Raw Energy from 1993. 3 piece outta Toronto that took some cool influences and had lots of fun.

3. The Stinkies...Boogie 72...from the SFTRI CD, It's Fun And Easy To Put Together. Another of Craig Daniels (Leather Uppers) many cool combos.

4. The Deadly Snakes (featuring Greg Oblivian)...Rock Candy...recorded live at Call The Office 6/199/2000. Betcha didn't know that an Oblivian came to London Ontario. Now you do and you shoulda been there!

5. The Midways...See That Girl...from the Pay More And Get A Good Seat CD. More Toronto garagepunkers, and there's a member of Suckerpundh (see above) in this combo.

6. UIC...Lockjaw Bay...from the Wiseman Sessions CD...goes out to Chuck, as he gets mentioned in this song and he said some nice things about me on facebook recently. And it's a fucking great song!

7. UIC...Do You Wanna Go...from the Johnny Hanson Presents...Puck Rock Volume 1 CD circa 1994. One of those tracks you rarely hear from our good pals UIC.

8. The Supersuckers...Poor...from a white vinyl 7" on SFTRI. Way before these guys went with SubPop...think i mighta picked this one up when The Supersuckers opened for The Dwarves at Call The Office June 1992. The Supersuckers blew away the Dwarves and NO, the singer of the Dwarves did NOT get his throat slashed by someone in the crowd as he likes to brag. The singer swung the mic stand over top of the crowd and it hit a beer bottle that someone was holding up. What was left of the beer bottle was tossed at the Dwarves singer and it just happened to hit him in the throat and cut him. Myth dispelled.

9. Mad Anthony...City....from their latest CD, which just happens to be self titled. Cincinnati combo who are on tour right now as we speak. Go see them live if you can!

10. Drums Along the Gardiner... Fish...from their only 7" from 1988. This is the start of a DATG set as someone requested a song by them and i just couldn't play one. These guys were a step outta time or they woulda caught on with people that appreciate cool music. Toronto via Vancouver and always entertaining!

Drums Along The Gardiner...probably back stage at Key West Cafe

11. Drums Along the Gardiner...Vagabonds...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood on OG Records 1989.

Drums Along The Gardiner on the stairs leading to The Key West Cafe

12. Drums Along the Gardiner...75...the flip side of the above single.

Drums Along The Gardiner....watch that hand!!

13. Drums Along the Gardiner...Nuclear Plant...a demo that i think was on a What Wave cassette many years ago...I should know, but am too lazy to check it out. Request by the Ultimatemost High stick handler.

14. Avery Island...Lock Me Up...from a new compilation called Broken Arts Presents Half-Built Horizons. Oshawa based label that shows there's still lots of life in Oshawa besides Star Records.

15. Danny Laj...Queen Street...from a new 4 song CD on Boppa Do Down Records. Toronto powerpoppper and this will probably be released on vinyl on Boppa Do Down.

16. Bang 74...Hi-Flying Dreams...from the CD of the same name. 70's influenced powerpoppers from Spain.

17. B.B. Guns...Bang...recorded live on Moondog's Ballroom on CIUT (every tuesday at 5PM with host Daihbid James). This session was also videoed by Aldo Erdic and you can find it on youtube. Got this song and the next one stuck in my noggin' for a coupla days and just had to play it. Killer, isn't it?

18. B.B.Guns...I Killed My Baby In Mexico....as above. 

19. Heimlich Maneuver...In My Head....from a demo cassette from the late 80's. Toronto combo and another one of those songs that often gets stuck in my noggin'. Request by James Ghostkeepper.

20. Driven Beats...Beach Girls...either these guys found me on the garagepunk hideout or vice versa, but i'm sure glad we connected. Way cool garage sounds from today!! You'll be hearing lots more of these guys.

21. Sheep Look Up...Civil Disobedience...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with WW 24, in stores now.

22. Deja Voodoo...Raised By Wolves...from the Worst Of LP on OG Records. Drummer Tony's wife found me on facebook this week.....we haven't seen Tony since the last time Deja Voodoo played London Ontario around 1990.

Deja Voodoo at the Victoria Tavern 1984

And that's a wrap. Thanks for all the phone-ins, emails, messages, and facebook threats! Back again next week with some Dictators as Manitoba will be in town and lotsa records as April 20th is Record Store Day...and earth day and almost my birthday. All pictures used in this blog came from the WW archives, please do not use without permission.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• April 12, 2013 2:43 PM CDT
    • Show #417: "The Eggman Collection #133"

The Eggman Collection is basically a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 20,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out randomly one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 133rd installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Hawkwind, Glenn Branca, Led Zeppelin, Badfinger, The Bonzo Dog Band, Grateful Dead, New York Rock & Roll Ensemble, Leviathan, John Lennon, The Idle Race, The Gods, Donny Hathaway, Kiss, Sperrmull, Love Sculpture, Genesis, Kennelmus, The Cyrkle, The Turtles, John Cale, UFO, Groundhogs, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggman-An-Obscure-Oldies-Radio-Program/182326748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg