Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 17, 2013 3:16 PM CDT
    • How is that song politically incorrect? Sure, the band's alternate name is "Nipple Erectors," but the song is clean.

Mark Grittner said:

Here's a good one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qGEmFTZzCU

The Nips All the Time in the World

• April 16, 2013 10:33 AM CDT
    • Did we fail to mention Brown Sugar or did I miss it? 

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
      Sold in a market down in new orleans.
      Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
      Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
      Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
      (a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should

James Porter said:

John Battles sez: "It's funny that "Satisfaction" was sometimes censored , yet Jagger throws in the "B" word twice on ("Stupid Girl")"

They probably got away with that because "Stupid Girl" was just an album cut. At a time when radio stations were singles-oriented and rarely played album tracks, that was what made the difference.

• April 16, 2013 10:18 AM CDT
    • John Battles sez: "It's funny that "Satisfaction" was sometimes censored , yet Jagger throws in the "B" word twice on ("Stupid Girl")"

They probably got away with that because "Stupid Girl" was just an album cut. At a time when radio stations were singles-oriented and rarely played album tracks, that was what made the difference.

• April 14, 2013 11:46 PM CDT
    • They just removed that line...It still turns up. They removed an inoffensive line from "Miss You" , because it went on too long.

Johnny Lurg said:

I didn't realize there was even a censored version of "Some Girls." I'm curious as to what they changed the offending lyrics to.

• April 17, 2013 9:56 AM CDT
    • Any idea of the release date???

• April 17, 2013 4:15 AM CDT
    • Great news, Gringo! Looking forward to see that one. Thanks for the info.

• April 17, 2013 4:12 AM CDT
    • Hi Andy,

Just in case you haven't seen it so far - HERE'S a good doc about Love. Cheers.

P.S.

Just saw that Jon S. already posted the info. Oh, well.

• April 17, 2013 9:49 AM CDT
    • I couldn't have said it better, regarding the Pleasant Dreams vs End of Century!

End of the Century may have benefited from an aura of legend (with the story of Phil Spector and his gun on the boys) but it is overrated. Pleasant Dreams is clearly dominated by Joey and he was so good at bubblegum songs (especially 7-11!!!!!)

Thee Wild Wraith said:

The 1st two albums are just pure classics, every song is great. 3 and 4 were good, but for me not as good as the 1st two. After that it was just a slow march downward for the rest of their career. There were still good songs to be found here and there, but it seemed more and more forced as the years went on and they seemed to not give a crap about their later horrible albums at all.

I think a good jumping off point is when Dee Dee left the band, though they had been going downhill before that.

Even earlier, they were hurt when Tommy stopped being a producer. He got their sound and what they were all about in a way almost none of their later producers did. Even the later rather mediocre Too Tough to Die album benefited from his coming back to produce it and it helped a lot.

The thing is, at a certain point like many long running bands the guys started treating it as a job. Maybe for Johnny it was always just a job. He often said that it was. Once being in a punk rock band is a job...well that isn't really the point of a punk band is it?

My most controversial Ramones opinion: I've always thought Pleasant Dreams was a decent album. It just isn't a good RAMONES album. It's a pop album showcase for Joey. Most people seem to hate it. I like it much more than the highly overrated End of the Century. Phil Spector and the Ramones are not a good mix. Ramones songs need to be stripped down. Wall of sound style just defeats the whole purpose. For me Pleasant Dreams succeeded as a pop album where End of the Century failed as one.

• April 17, 2013 9:40 AM CDT
    • Best album: "Rocket to Russia"

Best analysis: a friend of mine told me (and I found it true) that the 20-year fight between Joey and Johnny helped to keep the spirit. Johnny obvisouly acted as a conservative asshole (not all conservatives are, though) BUT thanks to him, they kept the sound, they kept the look. I love Joey but he was attracted by diversity, which is great in general but could have dispersed them. In fact, the magics comes from the balance between the pop and humanist attitude of Joey, the cool and crazy Jewish boy from Queens and the punk and autoritarian attitude of Johnny, the white trash side of the band.

All those fights may have affected their health. Maybe. But a creative tension was there. You could probably touch it. And it gave great songs, like the KKK took my baby away.

Is my analysis too intellectual? Ok sorry. So... now... 1.2.3.4!!!!!!!!!!

• April 16, 2013 11:41 PM CDT
    • "Chain Saw" + "You're Going to Kill that Girl" = my all time faves. 

• April 16, 2013 2:03 PM CDT

• Alison said:

Joey Ramone in this scene from Rock N Roll High School is one of my favorite things in the whole world.

Just saw that movie. Great stuff!

• April 15, 2013 4:17 PM CDT
    • Joey Ramone in this scene from Rock N Roll High School is one of my favorite things in the whole world.

• April 17, 2013 6:52 AM CDT
    • That "It Came from the Garage II" was a good one.  Besides the Detroit bands below, it also had couple of tunes from Nine Pound Hammer on it.

I always thought the tone for the whole album was set with this crazy tune by Art Phag:

John Battles said:

"It Came From The Garage " (2 volumes?) Early Gories , Elvis Hitler , 3D Invisibles, Snake - Out , etc.

• April 17, 2013 4:04 AM CDT
    • Yes, it's true about Joy Division coloring book - here's the LINK (pic No. 6). Among the rest lies more weird JD merch (my favs are No. 11 & 12). :)

• April 14, 2013 11:07 PM CDT
    • Nice. I think they were sold out by the time I got out of the house. I have a pic of a Tennessee Ernie Ford's Biscuits and Gravy 45 (TWO 45s) on my page. In the 90's , a woman told me about George Jones' Cat Food and Dog Food. I said, WHAAAAA? She said "Yeah , it was orange - colored , and my dog's STOOL came out the same color ! ". I was kinds disappointed by last years' Record Store Day loot. Lots of artists I love , just nothing rare. iF YOU MUST Overcharge me , give me an incentive to buy. That's all I had to say about it.

• April 14, 2013 11:00 PM CDT
    • Pushin' Too Hard AND 96 Tears are songs I have'nt heard many REALLY bad versions of ,but , boy , is THIS an exception. Seriously , thanks for sharing.

Ali Want said:

This is hard to beat. A Hi-NRG take on The Seeds' Pushin' Too Hard.

• April 16, 2013 1:13 PM CDT
    • Show #417: "The Eggman Collection #133" playlist:

Hawkwind - "D-Rider/Web Weaver"
      Glenn Branca - "Symphony No. 6 (Devil Choirs At The Gates Of Heaven): Third Movement"
      Led Zeppelin - "What Is And What Should Never Be"
      Badfinger - "Give It Up"
      The Bonzo Dog Band - "I Want To Be With You"
      October Country - "Caryle's Theme"
      The New Breed - "The Words Ring Back"
      Grateful Dead - "Box Of Rain"
      New York Rock & Roll Ensemble - "Sing Lady Sing"
      Jude - "Morning Morgantown"
      Complex - "Moving Moor"
      Leviathan - "Always Need You"
      Jack Bedient & The Chessmen - "I Used To Feel Bad"
      John Lennon - "Oh Yoko!"
      Tuesday's Children - "Summer Leaves Me With A Sigh"
      The Idle Race - "Sea Of Dreams" 
      The Gods - "Yes I Cry"
      Donny Hathaway - "I Believe To My Soul"
      Kiss - "Hard Luck Woman"
      Mason Proffit - "Let Me Know Where You're Goin'"
      Sperrmull - "No Freak Out"
      Love Sculpture - "Seagull"
      The Motivations - "The Birds"
      Genesis - "After The Ordeal"
      Kennelmus - "Goodbye Pamela Ann/Monologue"
      The Cyrkle - "Nicole"
      Rodier-Gauthier - "Tu Viendras"
      The Bluethings - "Pennies"
      The Wild Tones - "Martian Band"
      Bobby "Boris" Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers - "Monster Mash"
      The Turtles - "It Ain't Me Babe"
      John Cale - "Please"
      Neil Diamond - "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon"
      Water Into Wine Band - "Hill Climbing For Beginners"
      UFO - "Time On My Hands"
      Hawkwind - "Magnu/Standing At The Edge"
      Groundhogs - "Earth Shanty"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/417.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/417.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggman-An-Obscure-Oldies-Radio-Program/182326748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• April 15, 2013 12:33 PM CDT
    • give it a lissen and lemme know whatcha think!
      http://youtu.be/SfNUC-X2yeU

John Battles said:

I don't think I know that one. Is that an instrumental that very closely resembles "Boss" by The Rumblers? Just as "The Fourth Dimension" by The Ventures is obviously "Werewolf" by The Frantics? "Drug Train" (Which is listed, but does'nt appear , on some copies of "Songs The Lord Taught Us".) is widely believed to have been (Lovingly) lifted from the Rockabilly classic "Please Give Me Something".

FireofLove said:

let's not forget Day Train by Sandy Nelson for Drug Train ;)

• April 14, 2013 11:43 PM CDT
    • Cornfed Dames - Pretty Plaid Skirt (Or did we already establish that.) .

Jungle Hop - Kai Ray , "I Want Some of That" (Just the chant at the end. It's a favorite of Ivy's.).

Weekend on Mars- JETT POWERS (P.J. Proby.) - Go , Girl , Go (Mistakenly credited to Dick Lory.).

iT'S jUST tHAT SONG - Charlie Feathers (Believed to have been recorded by others , previously.)

Louie , Louie -  (Swamp Rats Version , NOT The Sonics.).

I'm Five Years Ahead of My Time (Third Bardo. I had the pleasure of telling their Bassist about that , The Nomads and Plan 9's versions.).

Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White (The Standells.But , you knew that.)

You're Gonna Miss me (Need I say it?).

Two Headed Dog (Roky Erickson.).

Quick Joey Small ( kASENETZ- kATZ sINGING oRCHESTRAL Circus._).

Hungry (Paul Revere and The Raiders of The Lost Induction ceremony to The Rock 'n'Roll Hall of Fame. ).

Mel Robbins - Save It (A rare case of the original being wilder.).

Ramones - Beat on The Brat.

Mack Rebenack (Dr. John) - Storm Warning. Now  , I forget what song it was.....

Andre Williams -Bacon Fat.

Shorty Long , Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels - "Devil With a Blue Dress ON".

LONNIE ALLEN (?) You'll Never Change Me.

cHARLIE fEATHERS - tEAR iT uP (hIS arrangement.)

Charlie Feathers - I can't Hardly Stand It.

Carl Perkins - Her Rubbed OFF (mINUS The "My Baby , she Don't Fuck good" ad lib.

Soory if any of these are repeats.

• April 14, 2013 11:19 PM CDT
    •  I've seen "Saddle Up A Buzz Buzz " listed as having been lifted from "Evil Hoodoo" by The Seeds. It's very similar , but , not the same. Fuzzed - out , but , in a different key. As much as I hate to say it , "Misty Mountain Hop" by Led Zeppelin is actually closer.....But , if that was conscious , it's because Robert Plant actually has great taste in music that has little or nothing to do with Zeppelin.

• April 14, 2013 11:16 PM CDT
    • I don't think I know that one. Is that an instrumental that very closely resembles "Boss" by The Rumblers? Just as "The Fourth Dimension" by The Ventures is obviously "Werewolf" by The Frantics? "Drug Train" (Which is listed, but does'nt appear , on some copies of "Songs The Lord Taught Us".) is widely believed to have been (Lovingly) lifted from the Rockabilly classic "Please Give Me Something".

FireofLove said:

let's not forget Day Train by Sandy Nelson for Drug Train ;)

• April 15, 2013 3:13 PM CDT
    • The Trip! April 7th Show! 

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130407-0030-t13652...

The setlist: 

ED WOOD - INTRO TO PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE 
      GARY NUMAN / TUBEWAY ARMY- BLUE EYES

THE UNTAMED YOUTH-  PABST BLUE RIBBON 
      THE FLESHTONES- THE WORLD HAS CHANGED 
      LOS SALVAJES- THESE BOOTS WERE MADE FOR WALKING 
      THE KREEG - FOR YOUR LOVE 
      THE DIRTBOMBS - EARTHQUAKE HEART 
      THE ZOMBIES - ROADRUNNER 
      JJ JACKSON AND THE JACKALS- OO-MA-LIDDI 
      THE SONICS - SHOT DOWN 
      TAKESHI TERUACHI & THE BLUE JEANS - AIZU BANDAISAN